Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!
I was just watching Jurassic Park the other day, and I was wondering... when that one YJ goes under the tree and it breaks the windshield off, why the gently caress was there no rollbar? At the beginning of the movie, they all have the "family style" rollbars, since they used brand new YJs at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Clamwacker posted:

I was just watching Jurassic Park the other day, and I was wondering... when that one YJ goes under the tree and it breaks the windshield off, why the gently caress was there no rollbar? At the beginning of the movie, they all have the "family style" rollbars, since they used brand new YJs at the time.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Also there is what appears to be big yellow rear end lights above the tail lights, unless they were euro tail lights.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
The #10 jeep, the one that hits the tree, didn't have a roll cage at all.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 5, 2009

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Things would have been messy if the cage were still installed. The branch would have hooked under the rear risers and overhead supports after it went through the non-reinforced windshield, probably flipping the drat thing and killing Jeff Goldblum for real(!) -- from a standpoint of cinematic suspended belief. Assuming the torx bolts held to that thin sheet metal at 30MPH, anyway.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I was off-road the other day and a tree took out my driver's side mirror. I've got it epoxied back on right now, but I doubt that's going to hold forever. What does it normally cost to get one of these replaced? I tried removing it completely myself before I epoxied it but couldn't figure out how without damaging the wiring. It's a '94 Grand Cherokee. Also what do you guys do to protect your mirrors when going through narrow sections?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Ok time to post pics.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE

2"BB 245/75/16 BFG AT/KO tread pattern re-treads

Images fixed and resized

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 7, 2009

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

KickStand posted:

Ok time to post pics.

images aren't loading for me.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

fordham posted:

images aren't loading for me.

Same here.... I DEMAND visual input!

It looks like you copied the URL from the address bar instead of copying it from the little box with the links code.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 7, 2009

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Anything else I can use besides Waffleimages and photobucket?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

KickStand posted:

Anything else I can use besides Waffleimages and photobucket?

Photobucket works...

Find the thumbnail you want, click it. On the side of the picture, there is a box with several choices (HTML Link, Direct Link, IMG Tags etc)

For this forum, use the IMG code. Copy the text in the little box next to the IMG Code and paste it into your message.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 7, 2009

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
^^^^ everything should be fixed up there ^^^^

For anyone who has a WJ and is interested. TeraFlex 4" lift springs are on closeout from $114.99 to $35.00

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/spring-4-frt-wj.html
http://www.teraflex.biz/products/spring-4-rr-wj.html

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 7, 2009

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?
BEEP BEEP I have a jeep today. Welcome to the winter beater project.

Yes I went for an 80s Cherokee, but it has an automatic and under 200k miles.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

w1ntermute posted:

Winter beater project eh? What do you have planned?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Where can I get those Zombie Outbreak stickers?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

leica posted:

Where can I get those Zombie Outbreak stickers?

Our very own SA Mart!

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Also there is what appears to be big yellow rear end lights above the tail lights, unless they were euro tail lights.

Yeah I kept noticing the amber-colored tail lights that didn't seem to be brake lights, too. I figured maybe it was an extremely lame joke about amber, but I have to admit that's probably just my own extremely lame sense of humor.

As for the #10 Jeep not having a rollbar... really? poo poo. I never noticed, and I'm not about to pop in the film again just to find out. Maybe they removed the rollbar because they knew somebody like me would ask that question.

Edit: While searching for the #10 Jeep to see if I could find a screenshot with the rollbar absent, I found another page that says 2 Wrangler Unlimiteds have reached the highest altitude of any other 4WDs, at 21,804 feet on the rim of the Ojos del Salado volcano in Chile, crossing what could be described as somewhat difficult terrain. :) Cool!

I did notice that the Jeep was missing the rollbar after it hit the tree, but was it missing it before that part, too?

Clamwacker fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 7, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

w1ntermute posted:

That bumper is awesome. Now I want to buy an old Cherokee and turn it into a Ork Trukk :mmmhmm:

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kinda new to 4x4's, but I'm thinking of picking up this Jeep, and wanted to see what you guys thought:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1251376472.html

He's asking $4300, I plan on offering $4k if everything looks cool. Is that a good deal for a Jeep that old, in that shape?

Are the YJs good Jeeps, or should I hold out/save up more for a TJ?

Also, he mentioned the turn signal lever was snapped off; how much of a bitch are they to replace? Do I have to tear apart the entire steering column?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

That looks pretty nice for a YJ, it's a '94 which is the year before they stopped production. He doesn't list the mileage which is probably the biggest factor even though the stock engine, tranny and running gear should be good for a long time. If it had standard mileage, I'd pay between 3000-3500 but if it's relatively low and the interior is okay, 4000 seems fair.

The problem with TJ's is that for the same price you'd have to settle for a beat up or bare-boned '97-'99 (and probably the 2.5L) with production anomalies since it was a new model and the aftermarket stuff for them is ridiculously priced for the same parts you could get on a CJ/YJ (though coming down since the release of the JK). Not a huge factor if you don't plan on making some offroad upgrades though. YJ's also has leaf springs at all four corners, so expect a much stiffer ride than a TJ; not that it ever bothered me any though.

Not sure about the turn signal, but YJ's are very utilitarian and easy to work on.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Philip J Fry posted:

That looks pretty nice for a YJ, it's a '94 which is the year before they stopped production. He doesn't list the mileage which is probably the biggest factor even though the stock engine, tranny and running gear should be good for a long time. If it had standard mileage, I'd pay between 3000-3500 but if it's relatively low and the interior is okay, 4000 seems fair.

I think I'm gonna offer $3k; I called the guy tonight and found out it has 229k miles, still the original motor. How long do 4.0s usually hold together? Should I plan on setting aside the money for a rebuild if I pick it up?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Since he has OBO in there, yeah, definitely low-ball him a bit to see if he bites. That is quite a lot of miles (about 15k per year) but the 4.0 is such a solid, bulletproof engine that it should last 300k easily before a rebuild if cared for properly. There's a few cases of guys closing in on 400k with very little trouble or extensive maintenance history.

http://www.allpar.com/old/club/search.php?q=4.0L&type=engine

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 8, 2009

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Philip J Fry posted:

Since he has OBO in there, yeah, definitely low-ball him a bit to see if he bites. That is quite a lot of miles (about 15k per year) but the 4.0 is such a solid, bulletproof engine that it should last 300k easily before a rebuild if cared for properly. There's a few cases of guys closing in on 400k with very little trouble or extensive maintenance history.

Most common issues I've seen with the 4.0 is the exhaust manifold cracks (my old '94 grand cherokee did at ~160k miles) and the rear main seals all leak. Neither of these are fatal though. And the replacement exhaust manifolds they use now don't have the same issue.

From what I've seen and what everyone has said, it's about as tough an engine as any out there.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Clamwacker posted:

I found another page that says 2 Wrangler Unlimiteds have reached the highest altitude of any other 4WDs, at 21,804 feet on the rim of the Ojos del Salado volcano in Chile, crossing what could be described as somewhat difficult terrain. :) Cool!

Yeah, and then was promptly beaten by a Suzuki Samurai.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/27/chileans-top-jeep-altitude-record-with-modded-suzuki-samurai/

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

That's also cool, actually. I've always liked those little things.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, and then was promptly beaten by a Suzuki Samurai.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/27/chileans-top-jeep-altitude-record-with-modded-suzuki-samurai/

When you compare the two treks, the Samurai was very heavily modified. The jeep only had a winch, tires, and altimeters added. Its really not a fair comparison.

ph4lcon
Apr 23, 2006

The only reason to watch...
When I was 3 My dad bought a 1988 Samurai. I swear that if I find one I'm going to buy it. I loved that thing to death.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

KickStand posted:

Just so you know, I am so ordering this from Kitsch and slapping it on my jeep. :D
We should form a club. I was just thinking that I need to start decorating my Jeep. I love this sticker!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

autophreak posted:

When you compare the two treks, the Samurai was very heavily modified. The jeep only had a winch, tires, and altimeters added. Its really not a fair comparison.

Both treks are cool. I am impressed how the Jeeps were 99% stock. I knew I loved my Rubicon for a reason!

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Grater posted:

We should form a club. I was just thinking that I need to start decorating my Jeep. I love this sticker!

Its a fun sticker and her customer service is fantastic! I had an issue with one of the letters and she promptly sent out what I needed to fix it. Really top notch.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I'm lazy. What diameter is the OEM roll cage tubing?

When I cut the rear kickers off the roll bar what should I do with the holes left on the main hoop? I was trying to figure out something to weld over the holes, or I may leave like 1/4" or 1/2" of the rear kickers sticking off the main hoop. This is in preparation for the half hardtop I'm waiting on.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Poser shots of dad's new(used) Rubicon:

Debate: firestone desitnation m/t 315/70/17's on factory wheels (34.5x12.5") or sell factory wheels and go for BFG m/t KM2 35x12.5's on 15" steel wheels ? He already got a set of factory 18" wheels with those sahara all terrains on them for normal use.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

jonathan posted:

Poser shots of dad's new(used) Rubicon:

Debate: firestone desitnation m/t 315/70/17's on factory wheels (34.5x12.5") or sell factory wheels and go for BFG m/t KM2 35x12.5's on 15" steel wheels ? He already got a set of factory 18" wheels with those sahara all terrains on them for normal use.

Disclaimer: You may or may not already know this, but I thought I would post in just in case.

If you go 34.5 or 35 on the stock 17x7.5 wheeels, you will need wheel spacers (Spidertrax seems to be the brand of choice these days, but the Rough Country ones are half the price and are supposedly just as good.)

Be careful when purchasing 15" wheels. Depending on the offset, you may have issues clearing the brake caliper. You can easily shave down the caliper body, but a lot of folks don't want to do that.

For a few dollars more, I would just buy the Cragar 16" soft 8's instead of the 15". If you are going 35's, you want the 4.5" or 5" offset to keep from rubbing.

I like the stock wheels (same as mine), though I like the Sahara 18's better. Been thinking about looking for a used set.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

ph4lcon posted:

When I was 3 My dad bought a 1988 Samurai. I swear that if I find one I'm going to buy it. I loved that thing to death.

I've got a 1987 Samurai. It's a fun toy, but sometimes I find myself wishing I had a TJ. The Samurai was and is a lot cheaper than a Jeep though.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

DILLIGAF posted:

though I like the Sahara 18's better. Been thinking about looking for a used set.

More wheel = less sidewall = more scratches.

I like my stock Rubi wheels, but have been thinking about switching them out to the Cragar black steelies. I love the look of those. However, I've already scratched my stock rims to hell so I don't think I could sell them for a whole lot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The Samurai was and is a lot cheaper than a Jeep though.

That's why I used to call mine a poor man's Jeep :v:

Although they seem to be more expensive these days, used to be you could pick one up for a grand easy, now they're up around 3-4k in good condition, then you might as well buy a YJ.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

That's why I used to call mine a poor man's Jeep :v:

Although they seem to be more expensive these days, used to be you could pick one up for a grand easy, now they're up around 3-4k in good condition, then you might as well buy a YJ.

Yeah, mine was purchased a few years back for $800. It didn't run. It runs now, but still has problems. I haven't seen one recently for less than $2k, and that wasn't exactly a shining example.

Parts and whatnot are still cheaper for the Samurai though.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I want to start getting wheels/tires/lift for a '03 Wrangler and every time I start to look around I get more confused. I'm not even really sure what I want because it's kind of difficult to compare things without knowing what stuff looks like.

Any general advice? The plan was to start with wheels I like, match tires, then worry about figuring lift out. I was told it's smarter to stick to 15" wheels, is this true? The ones I picked out are 17 and I should know beforehand if I'm setting up a pain in the rear end.

17" wheels, 33" tires, 3" lift is kind of the working plan.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

godlovesninjas posted:

I want to start getting wheels/tires/lift for a '03 Wrangler and every time I start to look around I get more confused. I'm not even really sure what I want because it's kind of difficult to compare things without knowing what stuff looks like.

Any general advice? The plan was to start with wheels I like, match tires, then worry about figuring lift out. I was told it's smarter to stick to 15" wheels, is this true? The ones I picked out are 17 and I should know beforehand if I'm setting up a pain in the rear end.

17" wheels, 33" tires, 3" lift is kind of the working plan.

Do you go offroad? If so, what kind of offroad? If you are going to areas with lots of rocks etc, then smaller wheels mean you have more sidewall. This also means more grip and less rash on the wheels. If you are going to the beach or desert settings, then the smaller wheels don't matter as much and the 17's are fine.

As for your plan, you might have to do the lift first to keep your new wheels/tires from rubbing and destroying your fenders etc.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

DILLIGAF posted:

As for your plan, you might have to do the lift first to keep your new wheels/tires from rubbing and destroying your fenders etc.

destroyed fenders just gives you an excuse to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

DILLIGAF posted:

Do you go offroad? If so, what kind of offroad? If you are going to areas with lots of rocks etc, then smaller wheels mean you have more sidewall. This also means more grip and less rash on the wheels. If you are going to the beach or desert settings, then the smaller wheels don't matter as much and the 17's are fine.

I should have mentioned, I'd be buying the stuff and stacking it all up until I had everything, then putting it all on. Not installing in the order I mentioned.

At the moment, I do no offroad whatsoever. I live outside of Chicago and haven't looked up any places to play around. I admit this is mostly for the look, but also to be able to do those things should the mood suddenly strike me/I see a fun place.