Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Ok, this all makes sense to me now.

I wish the game had a slightly more robust tutorial for first timers, but oh well.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I'm gonna try and do this the proper way and see how it goes.

e: Gah, one more thing I needed to ask...
Since I will be going back a week and obviously exploring the dungeon instead of doing all social activities, does that mean I will miss out on all those particular activities? Will I just experience them later in the game, or not at all?

Thanks again.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman5r
Oct 2, 2008

McKracken posted:

Ok, this all makes sense to me now.

I wish the game had a slightly more robust tutorial for first timers, but oh well.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I'm gonna try and do this the proper way and see how it goes.

e: Gah, one more thing I needed to ask...
Since I will be going back a week and obviously exploring the dungeon instead of doing all social activities, does that mean I will miss out on all those particular activities? Will I just experience them later in the game, or not at all?

Thanks again.

All of the social link level-up events are static. If you're going to level up from one level to the next, you'll see the same event in June as you would in November.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

spamman5r posted:

All of the social link level-up events are static. If you're going to level up from one level to the next, you'll see the same event in June as you would in November.

Ok, I figured that was the case but I obviously failed when I assumed the first dungeon would be a joke so I wanted to make sure.

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

Phenotype posted:

The only problem with this is that, if you only intend to play through the game once,

Oh, poo poo. I did assume that he'd play through multiple times. :(
Soldier helps set up the other games to be easier and (ultimately) better, IMO. If playing through once, then probably a mix class.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Capsaicin posted:

When you get to the Guardian Diggers, leave the third strongest one for last.
That's just malicious.

Definitely use the fastest message speed. If you see a caterpillar, chase it down and kill it quickly. Also remember to never take the game very seriously. There's no reason to be stingy with anything either.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

homerlaw posted:

Earthbound

Last thing you need to know about Earthbound. The L button does everything, talking to people searching trash cans, L does it all.

Slio fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 9, 2009

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
If I'm gonna start playing Thief and Thief 2, is there anything I ought to know? I specifically want to know if I should play it on the hardest difficulty or not. You get extra mission objectives which seem like they'd add to the flavor of the game, and everyone raves about the atmosphere and writing being top-notch so I'd hate to miss stuff.

Wins7ow
Dec 2, 2007

by The Finn
I am slow to the internet.

Diablo II.

I've played my fair share of wow, but I can't seem to find any updated information on this game. I've gotten the impression that I can really gently caress up my character by not spending my skillpoints wrong, any advice on that?

How about stat distribution?

I don't have any interest in PVP.

I'd love to beat the game on Hell difficulty. Myself (Barbarian) and a friend (Sorceress) plan on playing through together. Is there anything left to do after killing the Act 5 boss, or is it just loot-farming? (Why would you farm loot off the most powerful enemy in the game? You already beat him.)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Wins7ow posted:

I am slow to the internet.

Diablo II.

I've played my fair share of wow, but I can't seem to find any updated information on this game. I've gotten the impression that I can really gently caress up my character by not spending my skillpoints wrong, any advice on that?

How about stat distribution?

I don't have any interest in PVP.

I'd love to beat the game on Hell difficulty. Myself (Barbarian) and a friend (Sorceress) plan on playing through together. Is there anything left to do after killing the Act 5 boss, or is it just loot-farming? (Why would you farm loot off the most powerful enemy in the game? You already beat him.)

You can kill the boss over and over. Just start a new game.

From what I remember, the only class that should put any skill points into Energy is the Sorceress. Only put enough Dex and Str in to equip whatever armor you're aiming for. Everything else in Vitality.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Revitalized posted:

So I played Star Ocean: Second Evolution and loved it, thus ordered Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for the PS2.

Any tips for Star Ocean: Till the End of Time? (Anything I should be sure not to miss, or advice skills?)

Based on your love of Star Ocean 2, I would say the best advice anyone can give you is to not play Star Ocean 3.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Little Blue Couch posted:

If I'm gonna start playing Thief and Thief 2, is there anything I ought to know? I specifically want to know if I should play it on the hardest difficulty or not. You get extra mission objectives which seem like they'd add to the flavor of the game, and everyone raves about the atmosphere and writing being top-notch so I'd hate to miss stuff.

Play at the highest levels. It adds more content and the game is more fun that way. At the highest difficulty you won't be allowed to kill any humans. That's okay though because if you have to kill anyone you are playing the game wrong. When you are playing the Haunted Cathedral and Down in the Bone-hoard always keep a couple of fire arrows spare until you see a specific use for them: Lighting a couple of torches in order to open a door. Your equipment and cash doesn't carry over between missions so don't be afraid to use the tools you are given.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Hank Morgan posted:

Play at the highest levels. It adds more content and the game is more fun that way. At the highest difficulty you won't be allowed to kill any humans. That's okay though because if you have to kill anyone you are playing the game wrong. When you are playing the Haunted Cathedral and Down in the Bone-hoard always keep a couple of fire arrows spare until you see a specific use for them: Lighting a couple of torches in order to open a door. Your equipment and cash doesn't carry over between missions so don't be afraid to use the tools you are given.

What exactly do the difficulty levels affect, other than the mission objectives? More health, more enemies, better AI, different placement, Garrett absentmindedly starts singing showtunes to himself if you keep him still too long, stuff like that?

Milligans pants
Jan 12, 2005

budget shoggoth

What exactly do the difficulty levels affect, other than the mission objectives? More health, more enemies, better AI, different placement, Garrett absentmindedly starts singing showtunes to himself if you keep him still too long, stuff like that?
There's a number of things the difficulty affects, most notable are the different success conditions but most of the other stuff you mention is ramped up a bit. Aside from the showtunes. Fights are near unwinnable on the hardest level.

I don't know that I'd play it on the very hardest difficulty for my first time through either of the first two games to be honest but it won't hurt to play it as if you're playing on hard as much as possible. The game's pretty unforgiving otherwise and I think people who love the series (as I do) have a tendancy to forget that after years of playing them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since it's now free from the Offical Elder Scroll website, what's some good tips for both Arena and Daggerfall?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Rirse posted:

Since it's now free from the Offical Elder Scroll website, what's some good tips for both Arena and Daggerfall?

Don't be upset if you can't finish a dungeon. Because you probably won't. In fact, you'll probably get stuck in one, and have to load a save.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Ornamented Death posted:

Based on your love of Star Ocean 2, I would say the best advice anyone can give you is to not play Star Ocean 3.

Or play it and assume that the BIG TWIST is a farce and the plot is very tongue in cheek. I found the gameplay to be great and has many subtle nuances. Also, if you want a bit of a challenge don't abuse the orihalcum manufacturing.

Never did understand why people get so angry about the plot of 3 I know everyone says it makes the plots of the first two defunct, but i don't agree, the fact that the universe is a giant MMO doesn't mean that everything that happens in it is meaningless (its not like WoW which resets the story per player)

Rant over, any tips for FFTA2 for DS, i'm about 35 hours in and doing ok but was wondering what jobs i should be focussing on?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
It's been a while since I played it, so the only FFTA2 advice I can really remember is that Assassins aren't anywhere near as overpowered as they were in FFTA, but Double Sword is still awesome.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sentient Toaster posted:

If you see a caterpillar, chase it down and kill it quickly.

What's the deal with this? I've played Earthbound multiple times and I don't know what you're talking about.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Nocturne Sabre posted:

What's the deal with this? I've played Earthbound multiple times and I don't know what you're talking about.

Criminal Catepillars, enemies in the two desert areas of the game, give an absolutely insane amount of experience points. They run away immediately, however, and can be very hard to catch. They are also incredibly easy to beat.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Capsaicin posted:

Criminal Catepillars, enemies in the two desert areas of the game, give an absolutely insane amount of experience points. They run away immediately, however, and can be very hard to catch. They are also incredibly easy to beat.
Which reminds me. Aren't Fobbies/Foppies decent experience too? I remember they form up in nice long lines and they're weak against fire. And they call for help? Not sure. It's been an amazingly long time since I've played through.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Sentient Toaster posted:

Which reminds me. Aren't Fobbies/Foppies decent experience too? I remember they form up in nice long lines and they're weak against fire. And they call for help? Not sure. It's been an amazingly long time since I've played through.

Yeah, they are. It's why Belch Base is so great for leveling up. Go kill Fobbies until your PP runs out, go to the magic butterfly room, repeat.

Lonnycakes
Jul 7, 2009

Nice Shirt posted:

I'm about to start Final Fantasy A2 and I haven't played a TRPG in many, many years.

Is there anything I should know, avoid or prepare for and are there any ways to gently caress myself over completely?

There have been a few posts in the last few pages, but I thought I'd pitch in some more general advice.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2

- Unlike FFTA, I don't believe there is any way you can miss any quests. As long as you complete the prerequisites, go to the right places, and wait (some quests only become available at certain times of the year), you should be able to get everything.

- Accuracy also isn't as broken as in FFTA, but learn to attack from the sides and back whenever possible. Not only are attacks more likely to land but they're also stronger.

- Toy with different classes to unlock more advanced ones. Try to keep at least one active member of each race circulating in your battles, more for races with many useful classes. This means you'll probably only need one each of Seeq, Gria, and Moogle, and 2 or more for other races like Viera.

- Let the loss of resurrection or your clan bonus be the only consideration for whether or not to break an annoying law. After a certain point in the game all the bonus treasure you gain from upholding laws becomes mundane and practically worthless.

I'll give a few pointers for the new Mario & Luigi game since I've been toying with it lately.

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

- Be prepared for a lot of in-battle tutorials. Don't mindlessly press the A button during the first 1-2 hours of battles, or you'll be in for long and boring battle tutorials.

- Some monster attacks are easy to predict and avoid, but some are ridiculous (i.e. the monster raises its left or right leg), so if you're unsure just have both brothers jump or defend with their hammers at the same time.

- On level ups, getting a bonus on a stat makes the possible bonuses next time around fewer, so switch things up and show all the stats some love.

- When Koopa grows into a giant, his attacks are timed just as in normal battles. It doesn't matter how hard you blow into the mic for fire or how smoothly you slide the stylus across the screen for a punch--just practice the timing so you breathe fire when his face is red and slide for the punch when he's wound up his fist far back.

If anyone else has played this, I'd like to know if you have any tips for grinding to level 40 for all the characters. I beat the end boss with M36/L36/B34, but apparently there's a final rank for the characters (and also a difficult version of the Dark Star in the Cholesterol Coliseum), and all the monsters I can find give poo poo poor experience.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Any tips for Assassin's Creed?

(Please no stupid responses like "Just press X")

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Vinlaen posted:

Play in increments of about an hour a time, you're less likely to find it tedious.

Have fun just finding tall poo poo to jump off.

Explore the lab in the in between bits, there's a lot of story poo poo that is quite interesting.

A lot of the assassinations seem to be scripted so don't get frustrated if a target keeps spotting you etc, it's probably meant to be like that, main example being the trap in the church, which led to an awesome street wide chase.

Just have fun moving around, the animation is awesome in this game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Vinlaen posted:

Assuming you want the most out of the game without the crap:
Explore the lab. Check every computer you can for new emails every day. It'll give some mildly interesting backstory.
On a day where Vidic starts the morning by the window with his back to you, you can pickpocket him.
Doing every investigation in a city, saving all citizens and finding all view points will increase your life bar. Do it, if it doesn't bore you.
The window on the counterattack with the short blade is a lot bigger than on the longsword and can easily make it your go-to weapon.
The window on the hidden blade counterattack is small, but if you can pull it off, you will feel totally awesome every time. It also instant-kills every enemy.
You can view the maps and letters you obtain in your menu, as well as Altair's comments on objectives he's completed. This extends to the end of the game.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I doubt either of them are particularly complicated games but No More Heroes and Mario Galaxy are coming in the mail tomorrow, anything to watch out for?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Kuno posted:

I doubt either of them are particularly complicated games but No More Heroes and Mario Galaxy are coming in the mail tomorrow, anything to watch out for?

Congratulations, you just got the two best games on the Wii!

When you get to the end of No More Heroes choose the "Real ending" as it's just an extended version of the "Ending." The "Ending" is literally the first minute of the real ending followed by credits.

As for Mario, Mario moves way faster when he is long jumping (crouch while running then jump). This'll make the foot races in the game considerably easier. Back flipping at a wall then jumping off and spinning can get you up onto most high walls. Finally, on the really difficult water race in the trial galaxy, the timer shows 1:30 as the best time, but you have an entire 3 minutes to complete the race. Take it slow, trust me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
For No More Heroes, learn to darkstep. Basically, you flick the stick to one side just as an attack hits your guard. Travis will slide around the enemy and you'll get a dark background and sort of bullet-time effect where you can combo with impunity. It's the most effective way to fight most bosses.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

bewilderment posted:

Doing every investigation in a city, saving all citizens and finding all view points will increase your life bar. Do it, if it doesn't bore you.
The window on the counterattack with the short blade is a lot bigger than on the longsword and can easily make it your go-to weapon.

To add to these:
You don't have to do everything to get the full life bar, so do what you enjoy. Viewpoints are pretty much required so you can get waypoints to actions, but don't feel like you have to do it all.

After you get the short blade (after you first real Assassination), you can use it exclusively for group combat. For rescues, I'd run in and shank somebody (they aggro if you target them, so hope you don't hit the innocent) then whip out the short blade for the combat

Go ahead and shank the beggar woman if no guard is near, you'll resync and feel a lot better.

Sometimes it's easier to fight than to run. if you kill all the alerted guards you'll go back to incognito (assuming you can get away from the pile of bodies before the other guards show up.

Before you get to skip the travel area between cities, just have your horse hall rear end. You'll actually loose aggro after you've ditched the guards, and when you get into the city zone, you'll reset anyway.

Don't worry about flags & Templar. They're just for OCD people, there's no reward for collecting them.

When rooftop running, you can jump->shank the archers before they realize what's happening. Apparently the :downs: guards are put on roof watch. Even if you see another in the distance, he'll probaly ignore the fact that you just killed his buddy and tell you "you're not supposed to be up here" as you barrel toward him with murder in your eyes.

The rules go out the window on a real "hit". I think I only had one or two kills that didn't hit the fan early. Don't feel bad when you're cover is blown and you're barreling through streets after a guy.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

I think you should play on Hard, not Expert the first time. Expert can be very frustrating for a first timer, sometimes you just really need to kill that one guard. Hard unlocks most extra objectives, and has a quite high loot objective too, so you'll have to explore most of the map anyway.

If you don't like zombie levels, you won't like Thief 1. I felt the same at first, but now I find the undead levels much creepier and more interesting than the usual "break into mansion" of Thief 2.

Difficulty alters these things:
Your health
Extra objectives / loot objective
Expert means you can't kill any humans, Hard means you can't kill any innocents
Enemy sight, you'll be seen and heard easier

That's about it I think. Contrary to what people say, I'd say combat is still a viable option in fuckup situations, as long as you let the guard escape. The best Thief stories and the biggest thrill comes when you gently caress up and run around with enemies behind you, trying to lose them.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Jolo posted:

When you get to the end of No More Heroes choose the "Real ending" as it's just an extended version of the "Ending." The "Ending" is literally the first minute of the real ending followed by credits.

Adding to this, make sure you get every beam saber in the game, do not miss one.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Rueish posted:

Adding to this, make sure you get every beam saber in the game, do not miss one.

It's been a while since I've played this. I got them all. Does something happen at the end if you miss one or was this just a piece of advice completely unrelated to the ending?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Ornamented Death posted:

Ouch, that bad?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Jolo posted:

It's been a while since I've played this. I got them all. Does something happen at the end if you miss one or was this just a piece of advice completely unrelated to the ending?

If you don't have the last one you can't access the real ending.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Nethack:

You'll be killed. A lot.

Find a good spoiler site, like Wikihack.

Good beginner classes are Priest and Samurai. Don't play as Archaeologist, Healer or Tourist; these are handicapped classes designed to give veteran players a challenge.

99% of the time, you shouldn't use un-identified items.

You'll _still_ be killed. A lot.

Heroes of Might and magic III:

Money, money, money.

It's best to have ONE hero, preferably with Logistics, to do all or most of your fighting.

I forget the name, but there's one hero who appears as a blue genie. He begins knowing Chain Lightning. Get him early and you can dominate the map.

Black Dragons + Armageddon = teh win.

Alpha Centauri

Research, research, research.

Garrison your bases with one unit with basic weapons and the best armor you have, and one Mind Worm. If you are at war or think you will be soon, add more beef to your outlying bases, but this is enough for most cases.

Trade pacts are generally a good thing. The $$$ isn't huge, but they make the other factions friendlier.

AIR POWER. Once you get planes (then choppers) outfitted with a decent weapon, you pretty much can't lose. Gravships are funky, but not really needed.

Don't use Planet Busters unless you are willing to go to war with everyone.

Don't try to corner the global energy market. It costs a fortune, and by the time you can, grinding the other factions into paste should be a trivial matter anyway.

Oblivion

Unless you have a red-hot graphics card, be conservative with display options. This is still true today even though the game is 4 years old now. Although this is an RPG, fighting is fast paced. A poor framerate can kill.

It's been said before but I'll say it again; Oblivion's levelling system is somewhat retarded. Make sure you fully understand it before creating a character, or install a mod that fixes it.

Join the mages guild, and follow it until you are admitted into the academy. (or use a mod that let's you in right away). Making your own spells and items is very useful and a lot of fun.

Don't worry about money, the game throws piles of it at you before long, and there isn't much to buy anyway.

Fallout III

See above regarding video card/graphics options.

The default difficulty level is pretty easy. Once you get the hang of the game, crank it up to the max.

Intelligence is vital, Strength is important, Charisma is poo poo. Don't increase a stat to 10, go to 9 and have the bobblehead take it to 10.

You NEED at least one strong weapon skill. If you're not sure, choose Small Guns. Repair is vital, Speech and Barter are poo poo.

Mandatory perks: Educated, Comprehension, Strong Back.

poo poo perks: Child at Heart, Swift Learner, Here and Now, Lead Belly, Night Person, Chem Resistant, Infiltrator, Computer Whiz.

If you find yourself in Rivet City before the main quest sends you there, DON'T talk to Dr Madison Li. Doing so will semi-break the Galaxy News Radio quest.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Well I learned another tip for new players for Breakdown: It might randomly ignore the fact you have any save games. :argh: gently caress you Namco.

sexual rickshaw
Jul 17, 2001

I AM A SOCIALIST COMMUNIST MARXIST FASCIST FREEDOM-HATING NAZI LIBERAL CZAR!
What is a good Battlemage build for Titan Quest + Immortal Throne?

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!
Morrowind

- This is not Oblivion. You're going to die a lot, especially if you've built yourself as a pure mage. Don't worry: once you get some experience under your swamp-stained netch leather belt, you'll be just fine.

- Speaking of magery, listen well: Sanctuary is broken and you're going to want to use it. It gives a chance to negate a hit proportional to the magnitude of the spell, which means, yup, if the magnitude is 100, you cannot be hurt.

- Except if things reflect your spell. Lots of things like to do this. Dremora, for example, and atronachs, and pretty much anything that looks as if it has been summoned from some hideous otherworld. This is where you practice your Conjuration or melee skills.

- Finally: Morrowind has a still-active mod community which has done incredible things for the look and play of the game. You can tweak the game pretty much however you want, and I suggest hunting around for mods a bit before you play(specifically Better Bodies and Heads, it makes the game so much easier to look at).

Plants vs. Zombies

- This game has a very friendly difficulty curve. At the start it's easy enough to allow you to pick up the mechanics, and it ramps up to brain-eating difficulty at a comfortable and easily followable pace. Pay attention, evolve your strategies as the maps change, and you'll do just fine.

- For the roof level: kernel-pults are effective, but chaotic. To get them to a point where they reliably damage and stop incoming bad guys, you're going to want two rows of them. The roof level offers a good amount of free sun, and this should be easy enough to finance if you have...

- The Double Sunflower. GET THIS GET THIS SERIOUSLY DO IT. Every other plant upgrade is mostly optional, but this thing will quickly become the backbone of your strategy.

- Finally, on the subject of my most hated foe: the Gargantuar. These things prove a challenge to most mere artillery, and distract your firing line from the hordes of smaller zombies that inevitably follow in its wake. Fortunately, a couple cherry bombs pretty much kill it. If you see the kaiju-sized motherfucker before the level begins, be sure to socket away enough sunshine to finance an emergency pair.

City of Heroes/Villains

- You see those people jabbering among themselves about which builds are best? Ignore them. This game does a great job of ensuring that whatever weird concept you have is probably playable and viable in some way. Want to be rainbow-colored Batman and beat people up with your fists and clever technical arsenal? You can do that. Want to be a dark angel raining fire and death from above? You've every right. Want to be Wolverine and claw things to pieces? Just don't name yourself such, and go right ahead.

- There's a lot of little extra gameplay features, like the Invention and Mission Architect system. You can delve into these if you want, but they're entirely optional. Don't feel pressured to do anything. This game is more chill than most MMOGs.

- If you're a hero, you'll likely experience contact overload before long. Don't worry; you'll have access to all these missed opportunities and more once you gain access to time travel.

- The name you want has already been picked. That clever re-conception of that name's spelling has already been taken. That name with Mr., Ms., Dr., Professor and Kid in front of it are all taken. This is a game where people fill up whole server lists with their weird comic-book character ideas, so you're not going to get to be Dark Angel or Fist Man or Sailor Prettysprinkles or whatever the gently caress.

Finally, avatar-inspired classic gaming edition:

Shadowgate, Deja Vu and Uninvited

- Like with many other games from this time period, you're going to die a lot. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's nonsensical, sometimes it comes right out of nowhere and scares you more than a screen-shift really should, but it's going to happen quite a lot. Don't take this as dismay; instead, interpret it as another form of amusement. How can you kill yourself with, say, a book? Or a bucket? Or a fountain? Only you can find out!

- Like with most adventure games, there are portions where the answer is obvious but the game requires some forbidden byzantine logic process to get there. If you have an object and you should by all rights be able to use it but you can't, OPEN it. In fact, OPEN everything that looks openable: books, bottles, wallets, buckets, if you don't you'll probably regret it.

- Shadowgate-specific: Pick up every goddamn torch you come across. You'll thank me.

- Not everything has a use. You can clear out an impressive amount of stuff throughout these games, but some things exist only to fill out your inventory and add flavor. On one hand: if you're stuck, this can make going through your inventory and trying everything that much more annoying. On the other: there IS a logic to these things, so trying to bribe a ghost with a salami probably won't work (except if the ghost is italian/awesome).

- Uninvited-specific: yeah, that giant glowing red skull is going to kill you over time. This is why you should do what you should ALWAYS be doing in adventure games: save ALL THE GODDAMN TIME. It does not have to be the end.

EDIT: oh god I forgot:

Baldur's Gate 2

- The equipment you pilfer from the drow in the Underdark is hands-down some of the best in the game. It also dies in the sunlight. But! There is a way to keep them! Pause IMMEDIATELY after getting outside and drop everything to the ground. It is possible to build a chain of characters leading to the zone exit; do so, and while paused, transfer the stuff from inventory to inventory, dropping it again when you're close to the zone line. Cluster everyone up around the edge, load your characters up while paused, and very quickly change areas. If you've done it right, you should now have the best armor in the game forever! Yay!

Umbilical Lotus fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 12, 2009

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm going to get a Harvest Moon game for the PC, so which one is the best? and are there any bugs I need to be aware of? Or any fan patches that make it better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I just got Bully: Scholarship Edition for the Wii from Gamefly. Anything in particular I should know? Any side content that I should make sure to see?