Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

A lot of time I have house music in my head while I ride, I guess I'm not a real bike :(

I call this itsahonda.jpg

I have the wrong year (for the motor) wiring harness draped over the frame of my CT/RV90 hybrid. Its running a Radio Shack rectifier, using a condenser from a CB750, a coil from the wrong year CT90, and an ignition switch from a CT70.

I hooked up my charger, set it to 6 volts, turned the ignition switch on, jumped the wires for the killswitch, turned the motor over, and it sparked!

Typical Honda, even when it shouldnt, it works.

If you took a team of skilled artists, gave them an engine and told them "make an installation that will be instantly recognizable as the famous Frankenstein scene" - this is what they would come up with.

edit: house music, hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

"[working title posted:

"]
Either thats in London, or the NZ bikes look a lot like the Metropoliton Police

I was thinking London too but those look like Pan Euros at the back and the Met have dumped all of theirs because of the high speed weave problem.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Colonel Aureliano posted:

Found these on an NZ bike forum. They're NZ motorway patrol bikes.

trafficp.jpg

The officer's jacket looks like it says Metropolitan.

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 2, 2009

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!

teknicolor posted:

The officer's jacket looks like it says Metropolitan.

Yeah, even the road markings look typically English. Either way, i don't think I could look at all those bikes on the floor as long as they obviously did.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Portuguese police

Traditional Portuguese bike

They do seem to have some odd (yet sweet) bikes that we do not get though.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Christoff posted:

Portuguese police

Uh oh better run its the YAMAHA POLICE! :tinfoil:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Christoff posted:

Traditional Portuguese bike

Haha, is that some sort of debris/pedestrian shield attached to the crash bars?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKqpvriKZuA
norton commando transformer.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More like Aeromacci two stroke power in a Harley frame.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I can't imagine a reason why even if you had this idea, you'd go through with it:
http://bikerpunks.com/mediaviewer/2074/biggest-pipes-you-ever-seen.html

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

A few shots from heading up to TWO for lunch today, so much traffic on the way back :(

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

UserNotFound posted:

I can't imagine a reason why even if you had this idea, you'd go through with it:

Lol, those aren't mufflers, they're megaphones.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Retarded Pimp posted:

Lol, those aren't mufflers, they're megaphones.

Regardless of what he intended them to be, they certainly don't help him do a burnout.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

UserNotFound posted:

They look like the stock exhaust off a z1000 to me :haw:

I also love how he keeps looking at the camera every time he fails to do a burnout, just praying his friend will edit that part out.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

UserNotFound posted:

Whatever guys, I think the B-King is an awesome looking bike.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
It's like bighead mode for motorcycles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sepist posted:

It's like bighead mode for motorcycles.

This bike is also unlockable in NBA JAM.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I just mounted my ancient Kodak easy share to my crash bar and went for a ride. Even with a cotton ball taped over the mic all I got was wind, so I added some music. Low budget youtube video ahoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6Y6cEZ8Sc

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

N183CS posted:

so I added some music.

I thought "meh" when I read that, but that was a really cool track. A proper travelling tune, would go well to images of a steam train too. Not bad picture either.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
UJM parking only, bitches. :colbert:

My CB400T and my neighbour's W650. One of the few chances in the last month when both weren't hiding under their covers from the fargin' rain.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

echomadman posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKqpvriKZuA
norton commando transformer.

I was just posting this... like a failed audition tape for the new transformers movie. Cool as hell though!

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 7, 2009

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
When I first saw this I was all "A 2WD roadbike? How retarded".

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2009/July/jul0709-video-two-wheel-drive-yamaha-r1-ridden/

Once I actually watched it though, and saw how it had been done with flexible hydraulics, I started to think it seems like a pretty good idea, both for dirt and road bikes.

For a road bike it's not going to give any straight line acceleration advantage, unless it's wet or on a loose surface. Powering out of corners seems like it would be useful however, to optimise your "traction pizza" balance of cornering/power in both wheels rather than just the rear.

Because the drive to the front wheel isn't delivered by rigid means, the size/speed of the impellers could be experimented with so that the rear wheel still receives the majority of the torque, despite the two wheels normally being made to turn at the same speed. As such, you could drive both wheels yet still retain the normal "back wheel slides first" characteristics.

It would be interesting to see whether this has any place in racing - it would be a question of whether the ability to put down extra power on corner exits is worth the extra weight and friction losses.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FlyinDoc posted:

It would be interesting to see whether this has any place in racing - it would be a question of whether the ability to put down extra power on corner exits is worth the extra weight and friction losses.

That system doesn't look like it'd add a whole lot of extra weight. The pump and motor didn't look that big. I'd be interested to know how much the gyroscopic forces in the front wheel change with it being powered and how much that affects cornering.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That system doesn't look like it'd add a whole lot of extra weight. The pump and motor didn't look that big. I'd be interested to know how much the gyroscopic forces in the front wheel change with it being powered and how much that affects cornering.

The gyroscopic effect doesn't change at all, the wheel is still spinning at the same rate as before. It's probably not going to be much heavier, either, as you're effectively only adding a gear to the front wheel.

What you've lost is the need for the front wheel assembly to use available grip to overcome it's own rolling resistance. The wheel will be completely "neutral", allowing all available traction to be used for cornering.

http://www.christini.com/ has been doing this for awhile, although with a different system. It's the most beneficial in offroad use, where you can use the powered front wheel to pull you through and over stuff. The slip differential before the 2wd system kicks in is much more extreme on offroad, where you're spinning a lot more. It's a lot lower (around 5%, as opposed to 40%) for their trackbike.

The system on the road sees the most gain in the rain and situations of low traction, where the front can help steer the bike and doesn't need to use available traction to overcome rolling resistance. It's kinda useless for normal street riding with the wheels not spinning.

Of course, the situation where this would be most beneficial is to new riders or rapidly changing conditions (like tucking the front over a painted arrow), and not in racing, and plus, it's already banned in most forms of racing. So...it's an awesome concept that could show a lot of gain, but we probably won't see a solid implementation of it for years as a result of the lack of factory support.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i saw a review of this FWD system on a dirt bike once. wish i could remember where. they said it only put about 15% power to the front wheel, and that it was useful in certain terrain but all around they weren't sure it was that much an improvement.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

i saw a review of this FWD system on a dirt bike once. wish i could remember where. they said it only put about 15% power to the front wheel, and that it was useful in certain terrain but all around they weren't sure it was that much an improvement.

I believe that was the older Christini system, which couldn't bring as much power to the front wheel. Not sure though. There was another 2wd company out there who's disappeared who's name I've totally forgotten.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Those of us who only ever use the rear wheel have no need for this silliness :colbert:

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Spiffness posted:

Those of us who only ever use the rear wheel have no need for this silliness :colbert:

It'll keep the front wheel spinning for that trick as hell look:c00lbert:

Actually a year ago or so I read an article in Motorcyclist (of maybe Cycle World) where they got I think 3 different FWD set ups. The only company I can remember off the top of my head is Yamaha, since I was surprised to see that in there at all. They competed in some big enduro/dirt-bike rally but only one bike actually finished. They also did a little exposition on the different efforts put forth so far, but none of them ever sold or worked well enough to be very practical or put into production. If knew which issue it was I'd look it up cause I'm kinda curious as to which one actually finished.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Click for bigger.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
How else is a bro supposed to skitch along side his busa at top speed?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So is that better or worse than flip flops? :xd:

I mean, the blades are way more protective right?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
ankle protection in those is probably excellent.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
For cornering a Busa sumo-style.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ice road on Harleys?

One of which is from 1948?

Hell yes.

http://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WebSite.woa/1/wa/DirectAction?wosid=uisuXlDQw9IHxljUl362Vg&page=TOEOTRIndex

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
How the hell do you shift with roller blades on?

Kind of reminds me of this with a jet pack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x2rbmOyzgo

He just needs some wheels on his back in case he flips the busa

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

cmorrow001 posted:

I had to think about it too but if he flips the peg up it's possible, but hard.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

cmorrow001 posted:

Kind of reminds me of this with a jet pack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x2rbmOyzgo

He just needs some wheels on his back in case he flips the busa

you don't need to shift because 'busas do 150 in first gear :smug:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

cmorrow001 posted:

Well, if he can get the shift lever to stick into one of the gaps in the blades' trucks between the boots and the wheels, he can probably lift up and push down the lever without moving his foot at all. Imagine something like the clip in shoes for a pedal bike, except for the gear lever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
This has me worried that now I'll start thinking about taking the trucks off of my rarely-used Vapor 2s to use as cheap MC boots. :ohdear:

I'd need to figure out some kind of sole to put on the bare plastic bottom, though.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 11, 2009