Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbs
Jan 30, 2009

Cuddlebottom posted:

Doesn't look like this, does it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_eye? If so then it's something you should take to the vet, but it can be fixed with a relatively small procedure. Otherwise seconding the compress idea, watch out to make sure the eye isn't otherwise discharging or painful looking.

It looks pretty much like the cherry eye picture you posted. It went away though this morning, so I'm not really sure. I guess I can cancel the appointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

WolfensteinBag posted:

If it was going to be a guard dog, they should have gotten a livestock guardian or protection dog, and if they wanted it to kill pests, they should have gotten a terrier. A herding dog is going to have instincts to HERD, and wouldn't be very well suited for either of these tasks.

As far as training goes, look into "Nothing in Life is Free" or "NILF" training. It will really help you bond with the dog, because it sounds like that's what he needs right now. These herding dogs are bred to work very closely with their handlers, and they are very sensitive because of it. You need to work on building your dog's confidence, it's not going to look at you for commands until then, if that makes any sense. If the dog's not bonded with you, then anything you say is just going to be chatter it doesn't understand.

I also really want to encourage you to sign up for an obedience class, even if you don't want your dog to be on leash at home. It is skipping a step to not use it, because it helps your dog realize it's time to work (work=training in this case) and helps the dog focus. Plus, it never hurts to get the dog socialized in a group, and to have people around to give you tips on what you're doing. :)

Also, I'd really recommend picking up "Katz on Dogs" by John Katz. He's an author who's written a bunch of narrative books about his dogs, and was pushed into writing a training book based on his experiences. He's owned a total of 3 border collies, one of which was a neurotic mess when he got it, so it fits with your situation perfectly. The book doesn't give you step by step instructions on how to train your dog, but rather explains how you have to understand where your dog is coming from and bond with it if you're going to make any progress.

Thanks!

And yeah, for guard/vermin duty I wanted my folks to get a german shepherd, but we were worried that with the fair amount of isolation the dog would get, it'd be a problem for any visitors that came by, because even if the dog wasn't going to attack, the sight of a german shepherd barking aggressively would scare a lot of people off.

I've been trying to convince my parents to get some chickens or a few sheep to let the dog herd to keep him happy, but I doubt they'll go for that :v:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
A grim but necessary question: after you euthanize a dog (or cat), what happens? If you want to cremate/bury the animal yourself, do you just take him from the vet and do your thing? Do you just leave him with the vet? Would a vet put up any sort of resistance or complaint to me talking my dog to a crematorium?

No recent loss here, thank God--my doggie recovered from his illness just fine, but there are some weird life events going on for me right now and I'm trying to plan for a lot of things that will be happening in the years to come.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Where I worked we had three options--owner takes the body, hospital disposes of the body (we sent them to the county shelter for a mass cremation sort of thing), or private cremation. For private cremation we would send the body to the company and they would return the box of ashes to us for the owner to pick up. If your vet does not deal with a specific cremation company you would just take the body yourself and find one. People opted to take the body home with them for burial and it was never an issue.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
What Chaco said. Additionally, they don't just hand you the corpse and tell you to get out, so don't worry about that (a lady I work with is going to have to euthanize her cat, and was fretting about getting the body back to the car without her daughter seeing). Every vet I've ever dealt with wraps the body in a towel and/or body bag, and then places it in a nice cardboard casket for you to take.

If you request a necropsy prior to having the body returned, most vets will also offer an "aesthetic" necropsy, if you wish - they sew the body back up neatly as opposed to just bagging up the parts.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thanks. Another gruesome question: my dog has a steel bar in his leg due to a horrible accident a couple weeks back. I remember vaguely hearing somewhere that bodies (animal or human) aren't supposed to be cremated with metal parts present. How, uh, does that get handled?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

publicblast posted:

Thanks. Another gruesome question: my dog has a steel bar in his leg due to a horrible accident a couple weeks back. I remember vaguely hearing somewhere that bodies (animal or human) aren't supposed to be cremated with metal parts present. How, uh, does that get handled?

Where did you hear that? I can't see why it would matter, it isn't like the metal is going to explode. The caskets they burn bodies in have screws and staples and such in them anyway. I wouldn't worry about it too much, maybe just warn them in advance?

P.S. Borgdogs are awesome, I hope his enhancements are working out for him and that he doesn't assimilate you.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 7, 2009

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

publicblast posted:

The crematorium isn't going to get hot enough to do much beyond soften those metal pieces, and most have no qualms about cremating with all surgical implants intact. Just don't be surprised if you get your cremains back and they rattle.

Right now I have my most recent deceased pet in a box in our freezer. It seemed wrong to leave him with the vet clinic for "disposal," and I can't afford cremation right now. If it weren't for the rear end-dragging of the miserable loving old geezers we're buying our house from, I would have been able to take him home and bury him in the yard of the new house, but unfortunately they "couldn't possibly move out by the original deadline" and now I have to open my freezer door and see that every day until the papers are signed.

I'm half tempted to take him with me when we do the walkthrough and key exchange, and bury him right in front of those people. It would serve them right for all the crap they've put us through, not the least of which is having to keep my buddy in the goddamn freezer like a TV dinner for a week.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

keep my buddy in the goddamn freezer like a TV dinner for a week.

:gonk: Does this not upset you more than letting the vet handle it?

I mean, the thought of any of my pets dying and having to leave them at the vets is very upsetting, but the thought of keeping one of my dead pets in my freezer is a completely different feeling of horror!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Helanna posted:

:gonk: Does this not upset you more than letting the vet handle it?

I'm a very strange person, really. It would have bothered me forever to not know where he ended up, whereas the discomfort of having him in my kitchen is temporary. The vet tech offered to store him for me until I could take him to the new house and bury him, but I don't think I could have driven back there.

I was kind of proud of myself - I made it through the whole process, right up until I stepped out the door of the vet hospital, before I cracked. It's certainly not the first time I've sat in my car and sobbed over the steering wheel, but at least this time it wasn't over a guy.

I will say I'm glad they packaged him up for me. When I was a kid we had a hamster die and get stuck in the freezer until we could bury it, and my mom just stuck it in a sandwich bag. I think if I could see him, I would probably freak out. As it is, there's just that vaguely unsettling box.

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!
My kitty likes to get bitey. I'm not sure if he's being playful, trying to say he wants to be left alone, or both but I don't like it and wondered if anyone has tips on curbing that sort of behavior.

Edit: I live with infants and it's not always possible to keep them separated.

TEGGS fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 8, 2009

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

TEGGS posted:

My kitty likes to get bitey. I'm not sure if he's being playful, trying to say he wants to be left alone, or both but I don't like it and wondered if anyone has tips on curbing that sort of behavior.

Edit: I live with infants and it's not always possible to keep them separated.

When a cat is a bitey jerk, you are supposed to express to them that you don't like it. Yelping in pain, getting up and ceasing play is a good way to do that.

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!

HondaCivet posted:

When a cat is a bitey jerk, you are supposed to express to them that you don't like it. Yelping in pain, getting up and ceasing play is a good way to do that.

That's what I have been doing, more so the second one lately. I suppose I'll need to be more pronounced in my expressions.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
I know a page or two back there was a flea question, but today I just about had it with a nasty apparent flea infestation on the animals here. My dog started Frontline Plus for dogs in April. She's about 40lb. She never had a problem before, she is restricted outside to walks/potty because of a snakebite in the yard this year so no wondering the underbrush/woods, but the last week or so I have been battling a worsening flea problem. I just applied her monthly Frontline 2 days ago with no effect (didn't expect much) but things are worse. The cause of fleas is 2 housecats that were recently allowed to roam outside (not my cats, I warned of the dangers here) and became covered in them. These cats have not been on any preventative and were given their first dose of Frontline for cats today.

How long am I looking at for seeing fleas start to disappear? Since I'm on a $20 budget (including gas.. urgh) until paid I'm going to try setting up light traps (the light over water pan thing) in the room the dog resides in (pretty much trying to ban the cats from this room). I am told Boric acid powder could be used on the carpet (with caution) and little dishes but I'm afraid of the cats getting into it as well as the vacuum not getting it up properly and the dog becoming sick. Tonight I just kept picking fleas off the dog and the cat left a flea on my pillow the second it tried to jump on the bed.. It's pretty disgusting and I'm horrified by it.
Worst is my dog's skin is red and she is quickly scratching/licking/biting it raw. I'm calling the vet in the morning for advice but am posting here now because.. it's 3am. I feel like a lovely pet owner because "I let this happen" and now my dog is suffering. I have this "herbal" flea deterrent spray (neem oil/cedarwood type thing) I used on my bed and the dog (it's also leave-in conditioner) but it really is hokey and I sprayed it right on a flea with no effect. Flea was all "get up outta my business" so I killed it. :(

Any comments for someone who wants some solutionary advice before calling the vet? I'm really surprised at how bad this is considering she has been on this preventative for several months and it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth regarding Frontline.. but right now I want to make my dog comfortable and help eliminate these parasites all around, not just on the animals, because god knows those cats and my dog left their eggs and adults all over the house by now. I'm afraid if this continues at the same pace despite my cleaning attempts my dog will scratch herself absolutely raw and I'm not sure what is safe to use with Frontline.
Sorry, longpost is long but I'm worried about the animals.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

TEGGS posted:

That's what I have been doing, more so the second one lately. I suppose I'll need to be more pronounced in my expressions.

Are you playing with the cat using your hands? If so, you should stop that as well since it will think your hands are toys. If kitty wants to roughhouse, pull out a real toy instead.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

huskyjackal posted:

fleas!

The problem is that the fleas have laid eggs in your house, and they're just going to keep hatching and jumping on the animals, despite the Frontline. Frontline will help kill some of the fleas on the pets, but I doubt that you'll see a real decrease in the number of fleas until you treat the house. Diatomaceous earth can help kill the fleas/flea eggs in the carpet, but just vacuuming thoroughly and throwing out the bag immediately afterward can get rid of quite a bit. I'd wash all the bedding (yours and the pets') and vacuum everywhere you can as often as is practical until the infestation gets better. Your vet might advise treating the animals with Capstar, which is a great product, but if you're on a tight budget, cleaning and DE might be a better solution.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

publicblast posted:

This is definitly not a problem. My mother had really bad arthritis in her hands - big swollen knuckles meant she could not get her wedding ring off. When she died neither could the undertakers, so they creamted her with it on and it's buried with her. I remember this because they asked my dad if he would like to have it and he said to leave it with her.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

MoCookies posted:

flea remedies
Thank you! My vet did also recommend Capstar which I will see if my roommate will help me buy a 6-pack so we can use it in stages while treating the house (will cost us $60-70 for cats and dog though, eek, 6-pack versus single dose $10). We have pool-grade D-earth but not animal/outdoor(?) grade, I'll find some to put along the path and such. I've been vacuuming as much as I can and sweeping the hardwood floors (the cats climb the rafters in the kitchen, no clue how I can treat that area) and I'll wash all the bedding. My dog's bed sadly doesn't have a removable cover.. may have to just toss it. Shame. Sounds like this is going to take a while, which is a shame because I wish they'd not let the cats back out until this is at least gone and they are regularly using Frontline, but until then I'll follow the vet/post advice since my vet basically said the same thing. The most frustrating part is one roommate has this "well bugs don't bite me so the fleas aren't bothering me that much since I never see them, let the Frontline work" attitude and personally.. just knowing they're here makes me want to hurl. :barf:

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
My cat Satchmo has anxiety problems, for which he's on Clomicalm. I've had friends in town the past few days, and they're staying at my apartment while I bunk at my partner's place. They've been smoking pot in my apartment, and when I went home to grab some shoes and visit him today, Satchmo was the most chill he's ever been. He didn't meow at me at all, just stayed lying on his perch all :3:. But he also seemed pretty lethargic and uninterested in playing laser, though he did accept treats and scritches.

These friends have cats, and aren't the type to blow smoke directly in his face or some poo poo (some guy did this to one of my rats once, and he was never allowed back in my apartment, the gently caress). But it's a really small place, so he is taking some in, I'm sure. It makes me a little uneasy to let an animal inhale smoke of any sort, since they can't really say whether it bothers them, but maybe I'm just worrying excessively as usual.

This may seem like a totally ridiculous question, but I'm sure a lot of you know what a battle it's been to get Satchmo comfortable in my place, and it was nice to see him so (ostensibly) relaxed. :unsmith: But if it's deemed ethically lovely, I'll just tell them to take it outside.

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer

bee soup posted:

Cats and pot

http://www2.aspca.org/site/DocServer/toxbrief_0602.pdf?docID=101&AddInterest=1101

"marijuana exposure in animals posted:

...diarrhea, hypersalivation, tachycardia, hypothermia, urinary incontinence, seizures, and coma...

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=2254

marijuana toxicity in dogs and cats posted:

Ataxia, dilated pupils, 'glazed' eyes, drop in body temperature, increase or decrease in heart rate, bizarre behavior, hyperesthesia, disorientation, somnolence, depression (may last 18-36 hours), coma, excitation is seen occasionally, drooling, tremors, respiratory depression, or death.

I'd say even if your cat hasn't reached critical levels of marijuana toxicity (i.e. coma and dead) its still a pretty ethically lovely thing to do because of how very quickly things can go very wrong. If, as you say, you weren't there, there's no way for you to monitor how much smoke your cat is exposed to and frankly I don't think there's a "safe" level for an animal as small as a cat anyway.

I wouldn't do it again.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know there has been other info about fleas in the thread already, but I have a question about keeping fleas off me. A few days ago I developed a horrible rash on my chest. It turns out that my girlfriend's kittens had fleas and I'm wildly allergic (the rash is actually a bunch of bites close together. We think one of the kittens must have been sleeping on me when it happened, I have a few other bites on my upper body.) She got some Advantage or Frontline for the cats and sprayed some kind of flea treatment on her furniture (I'm guessing it's the same hokey stuff huskyjackal mentioned), but hasn't bug bombed the apartment or given it a thorough vacuuming yet. I'd rather not go there until things are totally flea free, but she's going out of town for a couple days and I have to feed and play with the cats while she's gone. Is there anything I can do to make sure I don't get bit by the fleas anymore? I thought I'd drench myself in bug spray, but I'm not sure if that's even effective against fleas. I'm also worried that she might have brought fleas into MY apartment too. I'm feeling a bit paranoid since the bites are still quite painful and, uh, oozy after four days and I really, really don't want to get anymore. Is it possible for me or my girlfriend to bring enough fleas over to start an infestation at my place?

If there isn't any other way, I suppose I could just run in, give them food, and leave, but I'd feel a bit guilty leaving the poor things without attention for two days.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

powderific posted:

flea nastiness
My vet had a can of VET-KEM Siphotrol PLUS II premises spray.. I have used it in the past in my old apartment to get rid of roaches and it worked wonders. They said to be careful, use common sense and read instructions but it does work for fleas as well and is pretty strong. Can't say 100% they will all die immediately or anything but I do know when my dog wasn't on preventatives during 2 NC summers she didn't have a single flea as long as I used Siphotrol. I didn't read anything specific about cats but it claims to kill adult fleas in 10 minutes and prevents them from breeding/reproducing, which is good. I'm pretty sure I had to take my dog out of the house for a few hours while I let the place dry & air out but otherwise it was fine as long as I didn't spray her food/bedding.

Woo, I managed to score a single Capstar from my vet to temporarily relieve the dog. Cleaned house, found a dead flea a soon as the cat jumped on the counter. Ew.
My vet recommended a little bit of Benadryl to alleviate the animal's irritation and it worked great on my dog, she hasn't scratched at herself for over an hour now. Thanks, PI, for the advice. :3

edit: not a specific adult-cat-killing product..d'oh.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

powderific posted:

I know there has been other info about fleas in the thread already, but I have a question about keeping fleas off me. A few days ago I developed a horrible rash on my chest. It turns out that my girlfriend's kittens had fleas and I'm wildly allergic (the rash is actually a bunch of bites close together. We think one of the kittens must have been sleeping on me when it happened, I have a few other bites on my upper body.) She got some Advantage or Frontline for the cats and sprayed some kind of flea treatment on her furniture (I'm guessing it's the same hokey stuff huskyjackal mentioned), but hasn't bug bombed the apartment or given it a thorough vacuuming yet. I'd rather not go there until things are totally flea free, but she's going out of town for a couple days and I have to feed and play with the cats while she's gone. Is there anything I can do to make sure I don't get bit by the fleas anymore? I thought I'd drench myself in bug spray, but I'm not sure if that's even effective against fleas. I'm also worried that she might have brought fleas into MY apartment too. I'm feeling a bit paranoid since the bites are still quite painful and, uh, oozy after four days and I really, really don't want to get anymore. Is it possible for me or my girlfriend to bring enough fleas over to start an infestation at my place?

If there isn't any other way, I suppose I could just run in, give them food, and leave, but I'd feel a bit guilty leaving the poor things without attention for two days.

It would be unusual to get a full blown infestation at your house considering there's not any animals for them to feed on (other than you). As a person who reacts really badly to flea bites, I feel your pain. When you go over there, just wear long pants and long sleeves (if you can bear it in this heat) and apply some bug spray. Strip and wash your clothes as soon as you walk into your house, and that should take care of any eggs falling off your clothes in your house.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MoCookies posted:

Exactly the info I was looking for.

Thanks! My rational self thought it'd be something like that, but deep down I was certain that my place would soon be carpeted with fleas.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I used to take my dog's collar off periodically but I haven't done it in a while, and then I was looking at it last night and noticed he's got a big bald spot on his neck! It's one of those woven nylon collars and it's pretty thick - more than an inch I'd say.

Is this something to worry about like a thyroid problem or something, or did I do something stupid by leaving the collar on forever, or is it just this type of collar and I should get a new one?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Let's talk about putting your cat on a leash and walking him / her.

Totally retarded, or good way to get her outside in an urban environment without becoming kitty pancake?

Obviously I would have to train her to like the harness (treats and whatnot) but after that, should I just kind of let her wander, follow her, and hold the leash? Might it be possible that she'll take to being walked? Also, if anyone else does this crazy cat-walking business, what sort of harness is best to make sure she can't wriggle out of it easily?

I wouldn't even be considering this absurd course of action if she didn't try to escape every time we open the door and go to the door and meow piteously and look up at us whenever I go near it.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I used to take my dog's collar off periodically but I haven't done it in a while, and then I was looking at it last night and noticed he's got a big bald spot on his neck! It's one of those woven nylon collars and it's pretty thick - more than an inch I'd say.

Is this something to worry about like a thyroid problem or something, or did I do something stupid by leaving the collar on forever, or is it just this type of collar and I should get a new one?

If the hair loss is only around your dog's neck, then it's most likely just from the collar. :) That fabric rubbing on there will get rid of the hair. It's similar to dogs who get nekkid elbows because they lay on hard surfaces all the time. A lot of dogs, especially breeds with thicker coats, will get that ring if their collar's left on all the time.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Nicol Bolas posted:

Totally retarded, or good way to get her outside in an urban environment without becoming kitty pancake?

You might get some funny looks, but yeah it's a good idea. Some of my cats love it!

Nicol Bolas posted:

Also, if anyone else does this crazy cat-walking business, what sort of harness is best to make sure she can't wriggle out of it easily?

Kitty walking jacket is the way to go: http://metpet.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/walkingjacket.html

auri
Jul 8, 2005
My neighbour bought a dog from Petland. I told her that by spending money on a puppy there she is supporting the abuse of animals. She doesn't believe me. I linked her a bunch of stuff (things like http://stoppuppymills.org/ , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZsCwOy5rdI , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Wp0I1-Hbk and the Pet Island puppy FAQ). She thinks that I am making it up, and that even if those animals are being abused then she is glad she saved the one she bought. Does anyone have any better resources or arguments to explain to her why buying a dog at Petland is bad? I don't know what else to say to her. Also I don't know how to argue breeders (after she said this to me: By buying a dog from a pet store you are not giving money for them to be abused. Thats crazy. We got a dog from a breeder and they messed something up when he was born and we lost him after 2 years. Buying from a breeder does not guarentee a healthy animal. Yes the pet store is probably more focused on the profit they will make than a breeder is but i guarentee the pet store has testing and rules that they need to follow in order to be certified to sell those animals. Im sure that if they were not being treated properly they would not be in business anymore. If youre going to preach to someone i think it should be to someone who doesnt care enough to adopt an animal that didnt have a home and now does.)

I don't want to hurt her feelings and her dog is mighty cute, but I want her to kind of... learn? from this experience? I don't know. I just wish she hadn't bought it at the pet store. =[ The SPCAs in Saskatchewan are full of super cute puppies that needed homes too and you can "buy" them for only $25 + spay/neuter. I was just at one on Monday bottle feeding the 2 cutest puppies ever.

Also she is using puppy pads. I guess they are putting them outside. WTF?

For fun here are some pictures of the cutie pie.

And just for fun here is my special lady.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

auri fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 10, 2009

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees
Tell her to watch that Oprah episode.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

auri posted:

My neighbour bought a dog from Petland. I told her that by spending money on a puppy there she is supporting the abuse of animals. She doesn't believe me. I linked her a bunch of stuff (things like http://stoppuppymills.org/ , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZsCwOy5rdI , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Wp0I1-Hbk and the Pet Island puppy FAQ). She thinks that I am making it up, and that even if those animals are being abused then she is glad she saved the one she bought. Does anyone have any better resources or arguments to explain to her why buying a dog at Petland is bad? I don't know what else to say to her. Also I don't know how to argue breeders (after she said this to me: By buying a dog from a pet store you are not giving money for them to be abused. Thats crazy. We got a dog from a breeder and they messed something up when he was born and we lost him after 2 years. Buying from a breeder does not guarentee a healthy animal. Yes the pet store is probably more focused on the profit they will make than a breeder is but i guarentee the pet store has testing and rules that they need to follow in order to be certified to sell those animals. Im sure that if they were not being treated properly they would not be in business anymore. If youre going to preach to someone i think it should be to someone who doesnt care enough to adopt an animal that didnt have a home and now does.)

I don't want to hurt her feelings and her dog is mighty cute, but I want her to kind of... learn? from this experience? I don't know. I just wish she hadn't bought it at the pet store. =[ The SPCAs in Saskatchewan are full of super cute puppies that needed homes too and you can "buy" them for only $25 + spay/neuter. I was just at one on Monday bottle feeding the 2 cutest puppies ever.

Also she is using puppy pads. I guess they are putting them outside. WTF?

For fun here are some pictures of the cutie pie.

And just for fun here is my special lady.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

/\/\/\/\/\ Yes, people will believe anything if they see it on Oprah.

Unless there's some way she could return the puppy (as if she could now that she's bonded with it), right now you're probably just making her feel terrible and she's in denial as a consequence. Maybe back off a bit until she starts talking about getting another dog? You want to make sure to not piss her off so much that she's not on speaking terms with you when that time comes. A lot of people would rather justify their mistakes to themselves rather than admit they were wrong and accept new knowledge; you just have to be gentle with these people to not make them feel like you are attacking their (lack of) intelligence.

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD
I'm going to hold off on the advice for now, because I am in one of "those moods" and I can tell the only thing I want to do is tell your friend she is stupid and naive. I know that won't be useful at all, so I will leave it to someone else to post good advice.

However, if she doesn't believe her dog is from a mill, I do know a way to prove it without a shred of doubt. If you could scan the dog's pedigree/papers that the store gave her, I could point out right on the pedigree where it will list the name of the mill they came from. I'm almost 100% sure that dog is from Hunte Corp, and if so I can find the reference to them right on the papers. That is pretty irrefutable proof that the dog is from a mill.

Here is another news article for her about Petland being sued for selling milled dogs

auri
Jul 8, 2005

Zombiesinmyshower! posted:

I'm going to hold off on the advice for now, because I am in one of "those moods" and I can tell the only thing I want to do is tell your friend she is stupid and naive. I know that won't be useful at all, so I will leave it to someone else to post good advice.

However, if she doesn't believe her dog is from a mill, I do know a way to prove it without a shred of doubt. If you could scan the dog's pedigree/papers that the store gave her, I could point out right on the pedigree where it will list the name of the mill they came from. I'm almost 100% sure that dog is from Hunte Corp, and if so I can find the reference to them right on the papers. That is pretty irrefutable proof that the dog is from a mill.

Here is another news article for her about Petland being sued for selling milled dogs

Would it matter that we are in Canada? Would that same milling corporation ship to Saskatchewan Petlands as well?

I'm not really friends with her... she is better friends with my little sister as I am several years older. I don't think I would be able to get a scan of the pedigree, but maybe if I asked my sister she could get it. Unfortunately she is gone for 2 weeks =[

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

auri posted:

even if those animals are being abused then she is glad she saved the one she bought.

This is something I've still never developed a good answer to and I'd be interested in hearing how other people respond to this type of statement. I regularly get people who apply to adopt, then tell me "well we went to a pet store to get the supplies and there was the SADDEST/DIRTIEST/CROWDEDEST little pig/rabbit/rat there and since yours are already in a safe happy home we decided to rescue the one who really needed it instead".

I always tell them that giving these places money means that more animals will end up sad/dirty/crowded but they always say "well I'm still glad I rescued THIS one". There doesn't seem to be a rebuttal other "good job on being so short sighted". Any ideas?

This is timely; I had a lady chew me out earlier this week because she wanted to buy a pair of petstore rabbits and then surrender them to me because they were overcrowded and being tormented by kids at the petstore. She was shocked that I didn't have room (not that I would have taken them anyhow): "WELL YOU NEED TO MAKE ROOM, THESE RABBITS ARE SUFFERRINGGGGGG!" Yet she made it clear from the start she couldnt make room for them herself, nor could she donate any money for care other than purchasing them for me ($20 each). :bang:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
quote != edit

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

auri posted:

Would it matter that we are in Canada? Would that same milling corporation ship to Saskatchewan Petlands as well?

I don't know about Saskatchewan, but I worked at my Petland (in BC) and I know the manager. This Petland only purchases from "local breeders", so BYBs. They have a strict policy against puppy mills. Canadian Petlands are trying very hard to distance themselves from American Petlands and their puppy mill reputation. And yes your friend is kind of right, the pet store has standards and testing and does take their pups to the vet. The vet then discovers fleas and kennel cough and etc. etc. So the animals are no healthier than shelter mutts and certainly less healthy than well-bred dogs.

That said, your friend is a dumb-dumb for doing this.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

alucinor posted:

This is something I've still never developed a good answer to and I'd be interested in hearing how other people respond to this type of statement. I regularly get people who apply to adopt, then tell me "well we went to a pet store to get the supplies and there was the SADDEST/DIRTIEST/CROWDEDEST little pig/rabbit/rat there and since yours are already in a safe happy home we decided to rescue the one who really needed it instead".

I always tell them that giving these places money means that more animals will end up sad/dirty/crowded but they always say "well I'm still glad I rescued THIS one". There doesn't seem to be a rebuttal other "good job on being so short sighted". Any ideas?

This is timely; I had a lady chew me out earlier this week because she wanted to buy a pair of petstore rabbits and then surrender them to me because they were overcrowded and being tormented by kids at the petstore. She was shocked that I didn't have room (not that I would have taken them anyhow): "WELL YOU NEED TO MAKE ROOM, THESE RABBITS ARE SUFFERRINGGGGGG!" Yet she made it clear from the start she couldnt make room for them herself, nor could she donate any money for care other than purchasing them for me ($20 each). :bang:

Animals that don't sell end up dumped at shelters anyway don't they? (Even if this isn't 100% true, it's a nice fuzzy thing to say to dumb people like that.)

Either way, maybe try asking people like that if they'd pay animal abusers to be mean to animals? By buying the rabbits, she's rewarding these shitheads for being lovely to animals and is encouraging them to produce more animals and be cruel to them as well. She might be "saving" two rabbits but she's dooming tons more unborn rabbits to be born into a hellhole bunny mill.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Helanna posted:

You might get some funny looks, but yeah it's a good idea. Some of my cats love it!

Kitty walking jacket is the way to go: http://metpet.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/walkingjacket.html

Awesome! I just bought one in purple. It'll either give her a great way to get outside or make her hate going outside. Now it's time for an extendable leash and a lot of treats. Thank you!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Helanna posted:

I want one of these! One of my cats though is techincally an average sized cat bone wise but is a fatty fatty two by four. I think he may need the large sized but would it be to long on him? He's on a diet and any extra exercise would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

auri posted:

Puppy stuff

This is from a thread a while back and might be a great thing to show her, it's pretty informative. http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2009/how_not_to_buy_a_puppy/main.html And it's from Canada, Good luck!