Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

glennnyc posted:

Also recently picked up a non-master volume Ampeg V-4 for 500 bucks, but found out it needed 100 bucks worth of work
I am very jealous. If I had a V4 in front of me I could pick up for 600 it'd take about a quarter of a second for me to do so. You just go ahead and let me know if you get sick of that thing (you won't :()

I love Canada and all but gently caress Canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Drecko
Aug 25, 2003

by Ozma
I don't have a picture, but I just had my friend from Canada import the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 to the Netherlands. Oh man, I just love those conversion rates. 62 euros cheaper than the lowest retail price I could find here, and about 75 euros lower than average retail price.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

El Drecko posted:

I don't have a picture, but I just had my friend from Canada import the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 to the Netherlands. Oh man, I just love those conversion rates. 62 euros cheaper than the lowest retail price I could find here, and about 75 euros lower than average retail price.
I thought Fulltone didn't sell poo poo out of the country?

Also, I bought one of those super snazzy "Snap Jack" cables today...I'm loving amazed by it. Absolutely noiseless.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Their website has a whole list of international dealers.

El Drecko
Aug 25, 2003

by Ozma
Yeah their stuff is freely available here. Still cheaper in the US and Canada though.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Cojawfee posted:

Their website has a whole list of international dealers.

El Drecko posted:

Yeah their stuff is freely available here. Still cheaper in the US and Canada though.
I guess the case must be that the US dealers can't ship that stuff out of the country then? I know that' what PGS has on every product page for their pedals.

El Drecko
Aug 25, 2003

by Ozma

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I guess the case must be that the US dealers can't ship that stuff out of the country then? I know that' what PGS has on every product page for their pedals.

Many online US stores don't ship outside of the US. I don't know if there is some legal or other reason for it, or that they just don't want the hassle (or refuse to believe there is such a thing as 'outside the US' ;))

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

El Drecko posted:

Many online US stores don't ship outside of the US. I don't know if there is some legal or other reason for it, or that they just don't want the hassle (or refuse to believe there is such a thing as 'outside the US' ;))

The companies won't let them because they want people to pay more. I think Musician's Friend will ship like 5 or 6 brands worldwide so it's not their fault.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I've been holding off on buying one of these for a while. It sounds bitching and is built like a tank. I can dial in a really sweet Whoracle sound on it.

Dirtyhat
Mar 29, 2005

You got moxie, kid.

Run Dodo Run posted:

The companies won't let them because they want people to pay more. I think Musician's Friend will ship like 5 or 6 brands worldwide so it's not their fault.

FYI these restrictions usually don't apply on the special order stuff, because the customer service people have to ring it all in by hand, which by-passes most of the dealer limitations companies usually impose. Just something to keep in mind (especially if you're north of the border)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
M-Audio Delta 24/96 PCI soundcard with breakout-cable and everything for 45€. Holy gently caress, the sound quality, fidelity, everything. Gave it a spin with the latest Dream Theater album, whooaaaaa, my cheap studio monitors finally got to shine, I heard so much detail previously unheard with the Realtek motherboard sound.

Tried out a Viper Phase-1 in MAME, never knew the track on the first stage had hihats and and cymbals in it before! Fired up GTA4, holy poo poo I can hear the NPCs talk and yell as I drive by and do my things and the music sounds clearer, brighter, better.

And I finally have a midi-interface again, for much less than half the price of a new 2496 card! Boy am I happy. Never again on-board sound or Creative Labs!
(Windows 7 x64 RC, installed Vista x64 drivers, no problems encountered)

Now I wonder if I should add a little something to my rack so I can push my equipments feed into a digital signal so the sound card won't have to convert to analogue.. would it help audio latency? I've got it connected to the monitors via digital spdif (RCA, not optical, and would connect to it the same way from my gear).

WEIRD BEER
Feb 26, 2005

Traded another guitar for this! 1965 Guild Starfire III!

This thing is loaded with battles scars and class.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

acousticbandit posted:

drat son.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Eminence Private Jack

Going to give this guy a try in my F-30

Aitro
Jul 26, 2003
I LIKE SHITTY 80's MUSIC
My Yamaha SV 150 Silent Electric violin came today. It's pretty awesome. I like it a lot more than my acoustic violin.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

acousticbandit posted:

I would have sex all over this guitar, electric Guilds are amazing instruments.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Aitro posted:

My Yamaha SV 150 Silent Electric violin came today. It's pretty awesome. I like it a lot more than my acoustic violin.

That looks awesome. Now run it through a bunch of crazy effects. Or through a Diezel head or something. :v:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Raze posted:

That looks awesome. Now run it through a bunch of crazy effects. Or through a Diezel head or something. :v:

Violin + Wah = :fap:

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Agreed posted:

Violin + Wah = :fap:

Not wah, but still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUO6kYLb6As
EDIT: Ugh, I forgot about the retarded camera shots. Here's the same guy doing 'Unforgiven': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWWkPfNMWb4

Raze fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 9, 2009

Kash
Jul 17, 2003

It's ironic. I finally have love in my heart but, alas, there is blood in my urine.

Raze posted:

Not wah, but still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUO6kYLb6As
EDIT: Ugh, I forgot about the retarded camera shots. Here's the same guy doing 'Unforgiven': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWWkPfNMWb4

Oh hey, that's my town. I've seen this guy a couple of times, but I can't remember anything he was playing, I just remember that it was pretty awesome.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Got a new desk so I can actually use all my stuff, and some new KRK RP5 G2's so I can actually hear what I'm doing.

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

Aitro posted:

I don't know what kind of music you play, but the violinist in my band uses a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and it sounds absolutely amazing through it, especially with the distortion (which is weird because the distortion isn't the great for guitars.)

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I decided the Eden E300T I posted a couple months back about wasn't for me, so I've been trying to sell it on craigslist. After weeks of no real attention someone offered a trade of a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and Ampeg SVT 210 AV so I went for it.

I already have a Markbass Little Mark II, so I'll compare the two for a while and sell the one I like less.

The Ampeg cabinet is surprising light, almost 20 pounds less than my Avatar 210. I'm going to use the two together for a while and buy a second of whichever seems better. The Ampeg has no tweeter which I'm looking forward to trying out, because using any sort of overdrive/distortion with a tweeter is painful and I'd like to incorporate that into my sound more.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Aitro posted:

I'm not sure that the barameter in that case is strictly necessary... :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

I decided the Eden E300T I posted a couple months back about wasn't for me, so I've been trying to sell it on craigslist. After weeks of no real attention someone offered a trade of a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and Ampeg SVT 210 AV so I went for it.

I already have a Markbass Little Mark II, so I'll compare the two for a while and sell the one I like less.

The Ampeg cabinet is surprising light, almost 20 pounds less than my Avatar 210. I'm going to use the two together for a while and buy a second of whichever seems better. The Ampeg has no tweeter which I'm looking forward to trying out, because using any sort of overdrive/distortion with a tweeter is painful and I'd like to incorporate that into my sound more.

The shuttles sound pretty drat good imo. Post some clips if you get a chance.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have to test it out with my amp, but if it sounds as good as I heard in store, I should be picking up one of these tomorrow:

The OD was really quite good. In the upper reaches it didn't get thin and start shrieking, it held together and instead just loving soared. The Distortion was a little fuzzy, but also chunky and good for Metal which is what I'm looking for.

But I'll definitely be picking up one of these:

Jimi Hendrix Crybaby. I'm not a fan of signature models, but this was just a great wah pedal and I felt that it had a better range than the standard Crybaby. For an extra 50 bucks? I'll go for this one.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Hammer Floyd posted:

I have to test it out with my amp, but if it sounds as good as I heard in store, I should be picking up one of these tomorrow:

The OD was really quite good. In the upper reaches it didn't get thin and start shrieking, it held together and instead just loving soared. The Distortion was a little fuzzy, but also chunky and good for Metal which is what I'm looking for.

Got a mate with one of these. The overdrive is absolutely lovely, and the distortion really is quite versatile. I'm not sure what tone you're after, but we managed to get a kickarse black metal tone through a Randall solid state combo with the mids cut out. It'll do you well!

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
Finally grabbed a new amp, which got me to take a trip to the Internet to reevaluate my random accessories.

2003 Blonde Fender Blues Junior. Less wattage than my solid state Marshall 30DFX that it's replacing, but it doesn't sound like a giant pile of rear end. I can finally get a decent reverby clean that I can grit up, rather than trying to make do with the loving awful clean I was getting out of my Marshall.

The Blues Jr. still had the stock tubes, and the power tubes had a lot of staining, so I swapped out the power tubes for JJ EL84s and the preamps with Electro Harmonix 12AX7s. Holy poo poo did the tone improve, I can actually use the bass control to some effect now, rather than basically having it sound like it was permanently maxed.

Amp Stand for the small bar gigs I play, since we've never played anyplace with a dedicated sound guy, or used/been able to afford monitors, hopefully I will finally be able to hear myself over the other guitarist.

String Winder/Cutter. I don't know how I managed to change so many strings over my twelve years of playing without ever using one of these. I only got it because my wire cutters rusted and dulled up, and I didn't feel like driving to Home Depot.

Some oil/cleaning poo poo for my fretboard, which I've never done. And holy crap, it's like playing an entirely different instrument, in a good way.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Guitar Center does have some good deals now and then! Here's my new used USA Crate 4x12 cab for $300, and here's what it came loaded with! :dance:

bhimmin
Jul 5, 2009
Just picked up my first drum kit used off craigslist, might as well have stolen it for the deal I got. 200$, and the kit included next to new heads, a somewhat low end Vic Firth snare, an 18" crash/ride, a 16" crash, a pair of high hats, 2 boom stands, a drum throne and a couple pairs of sticks. All the cymbals are low end Paiste, but they are in pristine condition.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

royalejest posted:

String Winder/Cutter. I don't know how I managed to change so many strings over my twelve years of playing without ever using one of these. I only got it because my wire cutters rusted and dulled up, and I didn't feel like driving to Home Depot.

I have this exact same one. The only problem is that ever since I got those Fender Schallers, I don't need it anymore. Just detune, loosen the lock, take string out, put new one in, turn a few times.

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

Thanks! Yeah, that's my Gibson chambered 58 RI. The finish is actually more orange and less red than it appears in that photo. Here's a picture I almost got stung by many bees to take:

Beautiful shot you got there! love the Les Paul :smugdog:

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Leninboarrir posted:

I don't know what kind of music you play, but the violinist in my band uses a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and it sounds absolutely amazing through it, especially with the distortion (which is weird because the distortion isn't the great for guitars.)

Are... are you in my band? I'm an electric violinist that plays with a lot of distortion through a Fender HRD.

:tinfoil:

jonawesome
May 9, 2004
I was just looking for my kitten!

Five Year Plan posted:

Are... are you in my band? I'm an electric violinist that plays with a lot of distortion through a Fender HRD.

:tinfoil:

You wouldn't happen to have any sound clips of this would you? I'm interested in hearing how an electric violin would sound with heavy distortion too see if maybe it's something I could play around with.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

acousticbandit posted:

If there's one piece of gear I'd kill for in this entire thread, it'd be this sucker right here.

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

jonawesome posted:

You wouldn't happen to have any sound clips of this would you? I'm interested in hearing how an electric violin would sound with heavy distortion too see if maybe it's something I could play around with.

I guess this is part helping out/part plug, but here's my band:
http://www.myspace.com/aboynamedearthnj

The song Ehm Coff (last one) shows off the distortion the most, I think.

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
this is not so much a purchase as it is finally putting a ton of separate purchases together and getting a working prototype out by the end of the weekend.

i present to you the inaugural stompbox in my newly established bedroom based guitar pedal company, Hubris.

A TS-808 tube screamer clone.

mandatory gut shot:

it was hastily assembled and will probably not leave my bedroom, but its "new" gear for me nonetheless. wasn't able to crank it tonight because i finished too late but tomorrow i will go to town on it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I got the Jekyll and Hyde.

Holy poo poo

Firstly, the OD. It's quite nice, but I dont think it's well matched to my Peavey. I'm using it as a boost for leads and to get a volume\cut. On the clean channel, I'd have the volume set at about 9 o'clock (Bedroom player here) to get a nice little kick. On the OD channel, I need to have it at about 12 o'clock for there to be a noticeable volume boost. This means of course that when I go back to the clean channel and boost, eardrums explode. Maybe when I'm not playing at bedroom levels it'll sort itself out?

That said, it DOES make quite a glorious sound. On the highs it doesn't lose any body so instead of shrieking, it kinda...well...soars and sounds absolutely magnificant. I might just have to decide if I'd rather boost the OD or the Clean channel.

When not using it as a boost, it sounded fairly similar to my Peavey's natural OD, but a lot sharper. I prefer warm tones, so it wasn't to my liking, but it was the sorta sound that I know a lot of people would dig.

However, what really blew me away was the Distortion.

Now the Peavey Classic 30 is a small, "Vintage" amp. It's got a very nice delicate clean and a dirty as gently caress OD that can get all the way up to early Iron Maiden. Fantastic for Blues, Rock and it can even mellow out a bit and do some stereotypical jazzy stuff.

With the Jekyll and Hyde however, it becomes a fire-breathing monster. The Distortion is truely remarkable. It's smooth without mud or lacking dynamics or distinction. It's snarly without buzzing like a bee. It's fuzzy without farting. It basically does everything a distortion pedal SHOULD without any of the drawbacks (IMHO. I've never liked distortion pedals before this).

To put it into context, I got home and played along to Enter Sandman (Shut up. You know when somebody puts a guitar in your hands and says "Play something" then suddenly you can only remember how to play ONE song? Yeah. That happened). The Peavey Classic 30 sounded GOOD. Not good as in "Hey! Not bad!". Not good as in "Decent, I can see where you're going with it", but good as in "poo poo, that could fit nicely in the mix".

Since then I've been fiddling to see what I can get it to do. It can also do Load\Reload era Metallica (poo poo albums, but damnit they had a loving great sound) and Tool very nicely. It's definitely a distortion pedal and doesn't have the open-ness that natural OD has so you'd never get a good Opeth sorta tone, however it's got enough balls and roar to it that it'll do.

It also has a great feel to it too. You DO lose some dynamics, but then again, I'm playing into a 1x10 combo at bedroom levels. Also high-gain tends to suck dynamics anyway. However it's not excessively live; You dont have to mute your guitar every time you're not playing and it doesn't make noise when you look at the strings.

It doesn't create a UNIQUE Metal tone. It's not something that creates new ground tonally. However, there's a reason why there's cliches such as Les Paul -> Marshall Stack exist. That reason is that some things just sound great.

The fact that I'm getting the sorta sludge, chunk and wail out of a Classic 30 1x10 combo still stuns me. Plus I'm not giving the OD channel enough credit as it really does warm up and boost your sound without completely loving with your original tone.

Overall, I'm stoked (as you can probably tell). Go try one now.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

burdt posted:

this is not so much a purchase as it is finally putting a ton of separate purchases together and getting a working prototype out by the end of the weekend.

i present to you the inaugural stompbox in my newly established bedroom based guitar pedal company, Hubris.
This is pretty loving sweet. How much does that awesome-rear end enclosure cost you, and would you be willing to build me a Dr. Boogie inside of one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Going by the slight damage in the paint job in the lower left, I think I just got the very same Korg Electribe EA-1 I owned last year :o

Now I have a minimalist setup of EM1, EA1 and KP3. Rather have a x0xb0x but this will do until I get that kind of money.

e: This is a fine freaking combination, but drat. I need ES-1 and ER-1 for a complete rig.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 13, 2009