Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm calling this piece finished because I'm bored of working on it and I badly need to move onto something else and get more practice.
I'm surprised I stuck with it this long as I usually get disillusioned and quit my models.

Thanks to those who gave crits as I went along, they were really useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Quite brilliant eoin, excellent cloth, etc. I havent had the time to work on my rig yet, i'll do that quite soon. Vimeo isn't working here :( I'll have to look at it when i'm home.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

EoinCannon posted:

I'm calling this piece finished because I'm bored of working on it and I badly need to move onto something else and get more practice.
I'm surprised I stuck with it this long as I usually get disillusioned and quit my models.

That turned out really awesome! I really like the texture work on that jacket.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

EoinCannon posted:

Congratulations! I also find it very difficult to be "finished" with my 3d work. Will this character be going in an engine or just be for your reel?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

sigma 6 posted:

I also find it very difficult to be "finished" with my 3d work.

Man that's one thing I constantly struggle with. I'm never happy with any of my 3d art and constantly go back and tweak things on models I probably should have deleted a long time ago. It drives me crazy!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah. I think the most finished personal project I have is from 2005. Here is something which I actually did for a job but I would never put on my reel due to how simple it is.

Feeling guilty about how little work I have been posting in this thread.

EDIT: Literally, one of the simplest VFX shots one can imagine!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 10, 2009

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I hate to whore myself here, but anyone else planning to do FXPHD?

http://www.fxphd.com/courseInfo.php

I figured if so one of us should refer the other to get a free class

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
zspheres makes some pretty decent sculpting geometry really quick, this only took about 45 minutes to whip up (most of the time was spent figuring out how to do the hands)

Now to the fun parts :]

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look at that low-poly chest. Get out.

Seriously though I do like a lot of the sections, but that does seem pretty low detail for the chest area if you're not covering it up with accessories.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Look at that low-poly chest. Get out.

Seriously though I do like a lot of the sections, but that does seem pretty low detail for the chest area if you're not covering it up with accessories.

Yeah this is just a basemesh for me to lay clothing on top of. The only skin parts visible will be his head and hands (maybe hands...I'm thinking of giving him gloves).

I plan on retopoing it as a whole once I have everything looking alright.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

The Merkinman posted:

When I've done architectural stuff in the past I've had measurements. Either measuring them myself or given to me by drawings.
This time I'm trying to recreate something simply from reference shots. I still have to put in things like cabinet handles and fix the drawers on the left.

I'm wondering if what I currently have looks okay simply from a scale point of view.

I know the lighting/texturing isn't good right now that's not what I'm concerned about yet.
EDIT: Fixed background image issue.

Wow, that looks a hell of a lot like Alton Brown's kitchen.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ErIog posted:

Wow, that looks a hell of a lot like Alton Brown's kitchen.

Thank you.
That's what I'm modeling :ssh:

I do wish I could find a good tutorial for stainless steel. Google just keeps giving me the same one over and over and as a tutorial, it's not very good.

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 11, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Have a look at http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/cg_education.htm
Lots of good info on specific shaders there.

The new character I'm working on, spent about 5-6 hours so far.
I edited the basemesh from my anatomy study which I've posted in this thread earlier, and built it up from there. I'm going for a more realistic, less exaggerated human form. But with a fantasy (satanic) twist.

*edit* Rehosted on Waffle

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 12, 2009

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

EoinCannon posted:

I edited the basemesh from my anatomy study which I've posted in this thread earlier, and built it up from there. I'm going for a more realistic, less exaggerated human form. But with a fantasy (satanic) twist.

Waffleimages is back, want to rehost so we can see?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

ceebee posted:

zspheres makes some pretty decent sculpting geometry really quick, this only took about 45 minutes to whip up (most of the time was spent figuring out how to do the hands)

Now to the fun parts :]

It looks like he is leaning forward. I suggest you move the pelvis and everything above it a little bit back to make it more balanced. But otherwise it's looking good.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 15, 2009

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

My head is rubbish, what can I do to fix it? :(

Also, how does anyone 'close' edge loops? I have lots of detail for the nose and eyes, but when it comes out to, say the top and back of the skull, I have too much detail and I don't need it. Besides welding two verts together (which makes the smoothed mesh unsightly), how else can it be done?

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

*edit* Rehosted on Waffle

Ah that's amazing mate really nice work.

Might be the angle or the horns but is his head a tiny bit too big?

Does anyone have any links to any (hopefully free) good reference images of men and woman taken from all around so I can do a proper study? Non-muscular averagy guys would be a plus!

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 12, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KiddieGrinder posted:

My head is rubbish, what can I do to fix it? :(

Also, how does anyone 'close' edge loops? I have lots of detail for the nose and eyes, but when it comes out to, say the top and back of the skull, I have too much detail and I don't need it. Besides welding two verts together (which makes the smoothed mesh unsightly), how else can it be done?

Have a look at this tutorial http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Sandbox/Theory/Subdivision_modelling/The_pole. It's a bit of a read but it shows you all that can be done with edge loops.

Biran Encino Man: Thanks, I'll try out resizing the head and see how it goes.
I bought a membership to 3d.sk, it's not free but it can't be beaten as far as human reference goes.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Have a look at this tutorial http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Sandbox/Theory/Subdivision_modelling/The_pole. It's a bit of a read but it shows you all that can be done with edge loops.

Biran Encino Man: Thanks, I'll try out resizing the head and see how it goes.
I bought a membership to 3d.sk, it's not free but it can't be beaten as far as human reference goes.

Just wanted to back up EoinCannon here. That tutorial was originally a thread on subdivisionmodeling.com and I posted it here on SA a long time ago. Excellent read.

Also 3d.sk (once fineart.sk) is one of the best reference sites as well. The-blueprints.com isn't bad for hard surface models.

KiddieGrinder: Those eyes look overly exaggerated.

ceebee: Would love to see a breakdown of how you made that with z spheres. Doesn't look too bad.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 13, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Sorry for this non-3d specific but what's the cheapest way to get one set of photos off 3d.sk, they only seem to offer retardedly long subscriptions.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

sigma 6 posted:

ceebee: Would love to see a breakdown of how you made that with z spheres. Doesn't look too bad.

Sure, here's the zsphere setup I used: http://www.curtisbinder.com/ZSphere_Human.ztl

There's some things on it that could be better now that I've got a pretty good grasp of zspheres, but it's a pretty decent base for just some quick sketching. I'd definitely retopo this after working out 3-4 subdivisions of it though, the geo isn't that great.

Here's from me messing with it last night, working out the proportions for this concept: http://www.curtisbinder.com/axel_concept.jpg

Still needs quite a bit of work, I'm spending a lot of time in the lower subdivisions. Once I get to the higher part I'll be able to use pinch/flatten more to give him a more TF2-ish cartoony look.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I meant a "breakdown", as in stills showing some kind of progression. Zspheres are still very awkward for me to use and I am wondering how hard it would be a mesh like the one you built. Did you look at any tuts beforehand? How did you know how to create the hands? I still find zspheres pretty frustrating to use and I wonder just how simple beginning topology should be if you just plan on re-topologizing later.

Also, that ztl file did not work for some reason. I am only using zbrush 3.1 however.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

sigma 6 posted:

I meant a "breakdown", as in stills showing some kind of progression. Zspheres are still very awkward for me to use and I am wondering how hard it would be a mesh like the one you built. Did you look at any tuts beforehand? How did you know how to create the hands? I still find zspheres pretty frustrating to use and I wonder just how simple beginning topology should be if you just plan on re-topologizing later.

Also, that ztl file did not work for some reason. I am only using zbrush 3.1 however.

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=23136

I used that tutorial for the hands. There's also another way of doing it shown here: http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showpost.php?p=489118&postcount=52

I think there's another tutorial on Gnomonology that's free for zsphere hands.

The rest of the model is pretty straight forward, just make sure you keep the root (start zsphere) somewhere on the chest/spine area and branch the limbs off of that. Also, I'd recommend tweaking zspheres in orthographic views most of the time as weird things happen when you start bending them in odd directions.

Just like anything in zbrush you really just have to fiddle with things to figure it out, it's just that type of program.

Also, chances are if you need help with something in zbrush the zbrushcentral wiki and zbrushcentral forums probably have the solution.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's the magic of z-magnets!

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
I have made FIRE!

Edit, render ends quick in the end, running an overnight sim/render, so you'll see something more fun later :haw:

Ratmann fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 14, 2009

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ratmann posted:

I have made FIRE!

Edit, render ends quick in the end, running an overnight sim/render, so you'll see something more fun later :haw:

That's great, what did you use to do it? I love the "liquidy" look. like it's weightless.

New proof of concept today, tearing up concrete in front of my place. Still a work in progress.

http://vimeo.com/5587977

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

ACanofPepsi posted:

That's great, what did you use to do it? I love the "liquidy" look. like it's weightless.

New proof of concept today, tearing up concrete in front of my place. Still a work in progress.

It seems to lack mass and the amount of momentum you'd get from it. It's also shattering like concrete rather than pavement.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

ACanofPepsi posted:

Use a high amount of velocity in the fluids and turn down buoyancy, since that's what makes fluids rise.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Ratmann posted:

Use a high amount of velocity in the fluids and turn down buoyancy, since that's what makes fluids rise.

That's what she said

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
I've been tasked with building a new dedicated rendering machine. This one will be a trial/test box that will be serving 2 or 3 of our divisions (likely 2 people max per division). It'll run xp64 pro, max/vray/backburner. If this machine impresses, then I'll be building an additional one with a much larger budget. For now, though, I've got about $1k to spend on hardware. I've got a case, hdd, and hids/display for the occasional local access, so I'm configuring for a cpu, ram, and mobo.

It's a toss-up between the L5410 (harpertown, LGA771, 2.33ghz) or the similarly priced E5520 (nehalem, LGA1366, 2.26ghz). Anyone have any experience with these two? The obvious choice is the new tech, but I'm wondering if there's any glaring failures of one over the other in the context of rendering...anyone have a suggestion?

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Handiklap posted:

I've been tasked with building a new dedicated rendering machine. This one will be a trial/test box that will be serving 2 or 3 of our divisions (likely 2 people max per division). It'll run xp64 pro, max/vray/backburner. If this machine impresses, then I'll be building an additional one with a much larger budget. For now, though, I've got about $1k to spend on hardware. I've got a case, hdd, and hids/display for the occasional local access, so I'm configuring for a cpu, ram, and mobo.

It's a toss-up between the L5410 (harpertown, LGA771, 2.33ghz) or the similarly priced E5520 (nehalem, LGA1366, 2.26ghz). Anyone have any experience with these two? The obvious choice is the new tech, but I'm wondering if there's any glaring failures of one over the other in the context of rendering...anyone have a suggestion?

The only failure on the i7's is not having enough licenses :haw:

These processors are fast, my i7 at home is just as fast or even faster than dual proc quad core systems I've used. It's a great, great CPU for rendering, so yeah, I'd recommend the i7 stuff over the older tech, though how much ram are you looking at purchasing?

Depending on the amount of stuff you'll be doing I would not recommend less than 8GB of ram, as a minimum.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Ratmann posted:

The only failure on the i7's is not having enough licenses :haw:

These processors are fast, my i7 at home is just as fast or even faster than dual proc quad core systems I've used. It's a great, great CPU for rendering, so yeah, I'd recommend the i7 stuff over the older tech, though how much ram are you looking at purchasing?

Depending on the amount of stuff you'll be doing I would not recommend less than 8GB of ram, as a minimum.

Yeah I figured 4 was a bit underpowered. I've got 4 in my desktop at work (dual 1.6ghz quad xeon) and I've been feeling that for a while now. I was leaning towards 8; we can go from there if necessary when we do the second box. The work is a bit of a combination between mechanical and architectural. All max+vray, everything you'd see in a public park; playgrounds, shelters, turf, benches, etc. Exterior setups for the vast majority of the stuff.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Ratmann: Nice fire man!

I also agree about the cpu. The i7 has a great reputation. I am trying to decide if it is worthwhile to wait for the i5 which is coming out in August.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Handiklap posted:

Yeah I figured 4 was a bit underpowered. I've got 4 in my desktop at work (dual 1.6ghz quad xeon) and I've been feeling that for a while now. I was leaning towards 8; we can go from there if necessary when we do the second box. The work is a bit of a combination between mechanical and architectural. All max+vray, everything you'd see in a public park; playgrounds, shelters, turf, benches, etc. Exterior setups for the vast majority of the stuff.

I just built a new system for around $1200 Canadian.

Processor: Core i7 920 2.6GHz
RAM: 12GB OCZ
Motherboard: Asus P6T
Power Supply: Corsair TX 750W

500GB SATA HD, Radeon 4650
The video card will be upgraded eventually, I just needed something to tie me over.

This thing is amazingly fast running Windows 7 64-bit, and Max 64 bit, but I'm upgrading from a Pentium D805 machine with 3GB of ram. I don't know if that helps you any, but the i7 system is definitely in your price range.

http://vimeo.com/5554230
I simulated and rendered this in a few hours the night I built the thing, I couldn't have simulated the destruction on my old machine, it would have crashed. The rendering would have also taken days. Instead I banged that out in a few hours spread over the night. The Task manager also makes me smile when I look at it.

Click here for the full 861x509 image.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
Let me just point out that, I HATE Prman.

That is all.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
drat I wants me a new computa :smith:

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

ACanofPepsi posted:

awesomeness

Yeah it's always a bad time for my wallet when I configure a new machine at work. Sometimes I really wish I had a reason, any reason, to justify dual i7 xeons in a new personal machine.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Handiklap posted:

dual i7 xeons.

This is a waste of a quote, but I didn't know such a thing existed. I need to research more outside of the personal computing realm.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
Update on the FIRE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
I heard from a guy at my local IT shoppe that intel wasn't going to make dual i7 boards, but then again, i hope he's wrong.

On another note, any of you use 3d coat? To make nudes? You're going to hell! :devil:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=772748&page=3&pp=15

Beware of god! He's checking your polyflows.

International Log fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 15, 2009