Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HankMcCoy posted:

gotta say, i'm digging the H2 trailer. Is it vastly different looking the then original series? yea, but that's not a bad thing. The worse part about the original series was the strict copying of the original's formula with much less talented directors. This actually looks like a Rob Zombie Halloween movie. Highly stylized and not-adherent at all to the original, addressing what was the biggest problem of his remake.

I'm more curious then excited but that's enough for me to see it opening weekend.

This is what makes it a good remake, even if it's not a 'good' remake. He's not slavishly copying the original while also dumbing it down and including in-jokey references. It's like the thing or the fly - completely different, but thematically similar enough to justify keeping the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is what makes it a good remake, even if it's not a 'good' remake. He's not slavishly copying the original while also dumbing it down and including in-jokey references. It's like the thing or the fly - completely different, but thematically similar enough to justify keeping the name.
I don't think the failing was that he didn't slavishly copy the original. He could have gone in his own direction and still not have failed. But his remake was full of flaws.

For one, why add all the unnecessary stuff about Michael Myers and his hosed-up white-trash life when you're still going to portray him as a psycho even as a kid? For one, the thing that makes Michael Myers so scary to begin with is that there is no reason for his actions: he's the pure embodiment of evil. That's it. No reason. He's evil incarnate. So even if you try to "explain" Myers by saying he had a horrifically abusive childhood and snapped, that takes all the terror out of it and turns him into nothing but a run-of-the-mill serial killer. Except, Zombie's flashbacks didn't even do that. Myers is already a hosed up psycho kids, yet we need all this background on his home life for... what reason? In the original, it seems like his sister's sexuality is the catalyst that finally snaps him. But he was evil, and he was going to be evil no matter what. With Zombie, suddenly it's fifteen loving minutes of the life and times of the white trash. I don't get why that was necessary. It came off as stupid and goofy to me, not scary.

Two, the acting was awful. Laurie was especially unbearable. We're supposed to identify with her/root for her and yet she drove me away from the movie. And between her and the other characters and the acting and the dialogue, I literally couldn't sit through the movie after 45 minutes.

This is why I think Zombie shouldn't be remaking jack poo poo. I actually really like House of 1000 Corpses for what it is. And I think Devil's Rejects is a fantastic movie. But Halloween was just loving bad. And I wanted to like it; I was determined to like it. And I still hated it.

Zombie has real talent as a director. But Halloween is not good or even passable. Maybe the sequel will be different, but I'm not holding my breath.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Slasherfan posted:

I'm confused, didn't Dr Loomis die at the end of the first Halloween? He got his eyes gouges out so how is he back with eyes? Or does it all depend on which version you saw?

In the version I saw, I think he was strangled and just sort of tossed aside. In the movie, he was probably meant to be dead but Zombie could definitely work around it.

Edit: Does someone know/have a link to the differences between the cuts? Mine was the "Blockbuster Video Unrated Cut" or something similar, and it was just over 2 hours long compared to the theatrical 1 hour 45 minute version.

Edit 2: Also, I thought the one really clever thing Zombie did was reverse the deaths in the "Carpenter section": instead of Michael coming back to the room in the ghost sheet, we merely think it is and it's actually the boyfriend screwing around with his girl, only for Michael to leap from the shadows of the hallway and kill him. That was the one part that actually made me jump.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 25, 2009

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

UncleMonkey posted:

I don't think the failing was that he didn't slavishly copy the original. He could have gone in his own direction and still not have failed. But his remake was full of flaws.

For one, why add all the unnecessary stuff about Michael Myers and his hosed-up white-trash life when you're still going to portray him as a psycho even as a kid? For one, the thing that makes Michael Myers so scary to begin with is that there is no reason for his actions: he's the pure embodiment of evil. That's it. No reason. He's evil incarnate. So even if you try to "explain" Myers by saying he had a horrifically abusive childhood and snapped, that takes all the terror out of it and turns him into nothing but a run-of-the-mill serial killer. Except, Zombie's flashbacks didn't even do that. Myers is already a hosed up psycho kids, yet we need all this background on his home life for... what reason? In the original, it seems like his sister's sexuality is the catalyst that finally snaps him. But he was evil, and he was going to be evil no matter what. With Zombie, suddenly it's fifteen loving minutes of the life and times of the white trash. I don't get why that was necessary. It came off as stupid and goofy to me, not scary.

Two, the acting was awful. Laurie was especially unbearable. We're supposed to identify with her/root for her and yet she drove me away from the movie. And between her and the other characters and the acting and the dialogue, I literally couldn't sit through the movie after 45 minutes.

This is why I think Zombie shouldn't be remaking jack poo poo. I actually really like House of 1000 Corpses for what it is. And I think Devil's Rejects is a fantastic movie. But Halloween was just loving bad. And I wanted to like it; I was determined to like it. And I still hated it.

Zombie has real talent as a director. But Halloween is not good or even passable. Maybe the sequel will be different, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think Zombie has a talent that keeps growing, with each one of his movies getting a little better each time(although I did like DR more that Halloween). To be fair there was really only so much he could do with a Halloween remake. Halloween is an iconic classic from a great director. John Carpenter had some huge shoes to fill and I think Zombie did an admirable job with what he was given.
Look at the majority of the critisism against his remake. It's mostly centered around the changes he made to the original. "I liked it better with no explanation, he was creepier as just a force, etc. etc." The thing is he had to make those changes, or else it would have just been a shot for shot remake with more blood and tits and rape. I actually like Zombie's Myers more than the original. He may have made some missteps, but all in all he did a good job.

I"m looking for to this sequel alot more that the first remake. It seems to be alot more instep with Zombie's earlier work. I"m glad he decided to do the sequel as well since they leave alot more wiggle room to reinterpret and change. Halloween is undeniably a classic, but the series got worse and worse as time goes on. People may say they didn't like some of Zombies choices, but I like them alot more than psychic deaf mutes, Cult of Thorns, movies that don't even have Meyers in them, reality show in his house, etc. etc.

timeandtide posted:

Edit: Does someone know/have a link to the differences between the cuts? Mine was the "Blockbuster Video Unrated Cut" or something similar, and it was just over 2 hours long compared to the theatrical 1 hour 45 minute version.

The only major difference I can recall is that in the theatrical version Meyers escapes during a transfer, while in the directors cut he escapes during the rape scene.

I really dislike that scene and wish he would have kept the original. Having the two rednecks rape a girl seemed way to " look out how more extreme I can be" and was really unneccessary.

KillRoy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 1, 2009

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

KillRoy posted:

The only major difference I can recall is that in the theatrical version Meyers escapes during a transfer, while in the directors cut he escapes during the rape scene.

I really dislike that scene and wish he would have kept the original. Having the two rednecks rape a girl seemed way to " look out how more extreme I can be" and was really unneccessary.

Yeah and Bill Moseley's character was cut :mad:

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

So you guys want to see a nice gory pick from FD4? This is kinda spoiler-y, so don't click on the link if you want to go into the movie knowing as little as possible. Also, I put NWS tags on it just to be safe. There's no nudity or anything. But it's gory, so, you know, yada yada yada your own discretion and all that jazz.

:nws:http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/32461/spoiler-y-image-from-the-final-destination:nws:

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Interesting wallpaper to come from H2:

Full size

I don't know what it means but at least it looks cool :)

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Secks posted:

I don't know what it means but at least it looks cool :)

HVP: Halloween vs Pumpkinhead. :c00l:

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Someone should make a movie about a goon meet where the goons meet up and go camping together. Only someone picks them off one by one.
"Someone is making the internet a better place, one goon at a time"

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 11, 2009

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Slasherfan posted:

Someone should make a movie about a goon meet where the goons meet up and go camping together. Only someone picks them off one by one.

As long as it's only a movie... right?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Slasherfan posted:

The shortest chase scenes in any movie ever.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Slasherfan posted:

There is a potential movie in here if some filmmaker gets extremely spiteful at his fanbase. You could twist the conventions and have the whole cast range from DJ Qualls to Jorge Garcia with the fat guys tripping and falling in the woods, or slipping on their hot pockets, or pissing themselves with fear. It'd take a real ego maniac to do it, like Lady in the Water levels of ego only pointed at fans instead of critics. Totally self destructive and hilarious.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

RichterIX posted:

The shortest chase scenes in any movie ever.

I don't know, the fat guy in Behind the Mask managed to outrun the killer pretty well for a while.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

UncleMonkey posted:

So you guys want to see a nice gory pick from FD4? This is kinda spoiler-y, so don't click on the link if you want to go into the movie knowing as little as possible. Also, I put NWS tags on it just to be safe. There's no nudity or anything. But it's gory, so, you know, yada yada yada your own discretion and all that jazz.

:nws:http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/32461/spoiler-y-image-from-the-final-destination:nws:

That is so fake looking I can't believe it's actually going to be used in a movie.

Thirdeye
May 2, 2006

Agaetis byrjun
Do any of you guys have any details about this movie called The Collector? I was watching some television yesterday when I saw the trailer and it looked like it may be decent. I just hope it doesn't become fixated on the traps and such like the Saw series.

Here is the trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it.
The Collector

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I don't know if you guys have seen it, but they're actually playing promo spots for Orphan on TV. Still looks terrible, though.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Welp the new Nightmare on Elm Street has wrapped shooting. (And yet it still doesn't come out until April? Does it really take that long to add the special effects and edit? Christ.) I can't remember where I read it but word is the new Freddy is supposed to be revealed at Comic-con. We shall see.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

weekly font posted:

That is so fake looking I can't believe it's actually going to be used in a movie.

Yeah it looks a bit crap in a snapshot taken from a cheap camera with out the proper lighting or angel or anything but i'm sure as soon as its set up right it will look just as real as any other FD death. Its a big Hollywood movie I'm sure there not just going to suddenly screw up and buy a $1.50 model.

Although i guess that has occasional happened in the past. Still until we get an actual film still there's no point in talking about how crap it looks.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

spixxor posted:

Welp the new Nightmare on Elm Street has wrapped shooting. (And yet it still doesn't come out until April? Does it really take that long to add the special effects and edit? Christ.) I can't remember where I read it but word is the new Freddy is supposed to be revealed at Comic-con. We shall see.

You partially answered your own question. When a movie wraps, there is all sorts of post-production, but there's also all of the promotional work (and hype) that has to go into it. The studio will want to build some interest before just dropping it into theatres.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

You partially answered your own question. When a movie wraps, there is all sorts of post-production, but there's also all of the promotional work (and hype) that has to go into it. The studio will want to build some interest before just dropping it into theatres.

Yea, I understand that, but you'd think a new Nightmare movie would pretty much promote itself. It's not like they don't have a fan base ready and waiting. Sure they'll be doing the whole "Hey look at this trailer!" type thing, but it shouldn't take 8 months to build interest in a movie that's using established characters.

I guess I'm just impatient and don't know dick about marketing, but still.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

spixxor posted:

I guess I'm just impatient and don't know dick about marketing, but still.

I figure they're trying to take a franchise view. Reboots right now are big in that they allow for really profitable sequels. And finding a good time to release it is going to be key. The fall is a little thick with horror stuff so I'd wager they padded this with tons and tons of time so that they can to tests and (if necessary) reshoots and deal with any shooting delays. That way, if all goes well, they're on pace to have the brand new Nightmare pumping out well attended sequels for years and years.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

I figure they're trying to take a franchise view. Reboots right now are big in that they allow for really profitable sequels. And finding a good time to release it is going to be key. The fall is a little thick with horror stuff so I'd wager they padded this with tons and tons of time so that they can to tests and (if necessary) reshoots and deal with any shooting delays. That way, if all goes well, they're on pace to have the brand new Nightmare pumping out well attended sequels for years and years.

It also sounds like since they're releasing it in April instead of January-March that they might want to give it a bigger push than usual. Most horror films just get dumped out there with a trailer and a shitload of TV spot advertising the week of. And from what I've read, most of the actors have signed a three picture deal for the new series.

LeechCode5
Dec 19, 2004

Burn, Galactica! You're finished, Adama!

spixxor posted:

I can't remember where I read it but word is the new Freddy is supposed to be revealed at Comic-con. We shall see.

Bloody Disgusting posted an article tonight saying that we'll be seeing the first official picture of Freddy sometime tomorrow, and that it'll be released on MySpace. They also posted a bit of interview with the make-up guy, who says they went with "more of a healed-burned Freddy" instead of a more charred or freshly burned look, and that they got rid of the big witch-looking nose that Robert England's Freddy had.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah Devin at Chud posted a brief snippet of his set visit and said that Freddy looks like an actual burn victim now. A move which also means they can't really franchise him with toys and everything anymore.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Not sure if I should start new thread for Saw VI as it's not really a slasher flick. Anyway, motion poster.
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/saw-vi-motion-poster.html

Adore this poster. Best poster of the series.

Also new picture of Freddy.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 23, 2009

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

e:f,b. I like the photo, but I hope they release a better one soon.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Saw posters have always been pretty creative.

Also
Slasherfan, you should probably thumbnail that bigass table breaker.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'm looking forward to the new Nightmare flick, should be fun. I was Freddy for Halloween once in my youth. :c00l:

And that Saw VI poster is funny because it looks like a Halloween VI poster.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Ape Agitator posted:

Saw posters have always been pretty creative.

Also
Slasherfan, you should probably thumbnail that bigass table breaker.

How you do that?
EDIT, never mind, got it.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 23, 2009

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Another Freddy pic, with glove!

Click here for the full 608x900 image.

Ok, so they've got the Freddy look, they didn't gently caress up the glove, and judging by Jackie's Watchmen performance he's got a good Freddy voice and the acting chops...I'm trying to be loyal to Robert Englund but dammed if I'm not pretty excited about this thing now. I'll wait for a trailer before I get too happy, but so far so good.

spixxor fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 23, 2009

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
First Saw VI Clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsV2W-1YNnw

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

spixxor posted:

Another Freddy pic, with glove!

...dammed if I'm not pretty excited about this thing now.

It's almost as if a slow hype machine is at work instead of just dropping the movie into theaters and expecting it to "market itself" ...

(sorry, I had to mention that)

The poster does look pretty cool. Sadly, so did the poster for the F13 remake. What do I know though, I was all apalled about the MBV remake, and that one turned out well. Time will tell I guess.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

It's almost as if a slow hype machine is at work instead of just dropping the movie into theaters and expecting it to "market itself" ...

(sorry, I had to mention that)

The poster does look pretty cool. Sadly, so did the poster for the F13 remake. What do I know though, I was all apalled about the MBV remake, and that one turned out well. Time will tell I guess.

All right, I give, you got me.

Yeah, a badass poster does not a good movie make, but it can't be worse than the F13 remake. It just can't. Even if it doesn't live up to the original, Freddy as a character is way more interesting than Jason, and ability-wise gives you a lot more to play around with creatively. There's only so much you can do with a mentally challenged giant with mommy issues and a machete.

Christ, I've come full circle to defending this thing now.

Fake edit: I'm half asleep and retarded, what is MBV? I just can't loving think of it.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Well, Orphan is almost out and Ebert gave it...3 1/2 out of 4 stars? Maybe it's better than I thought.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
oh God I didn't see "page 18 out of 21," so to make this post not totally useless, I've hated everything I've seen about Orphan, but thanks to Ebert's review, I think it might be suffering from production-studio-directing-the-trailer syndrome.

Don't get me wrong, I want other people to see it first, but I guess it could actually be pretty good if they keep Esther's "secret" ambiguous until the third act.

spixxor posted:

Fake edit: I'm half asleep and retarded, what is MBV? I just can't loving think of it.
My Bloody Valentine. Usually the anagram refers to the band, but you know, we're in a slasher thread :).

old post!

Frontalot posted:

Mark Romanek and Marc Forster also had pretty good high-profile movies after a career in music videos. Hell, I'd venture to say that One Hour Photo is one of the freakiest movies ever made.

Same with Mark Pellington (Mothman Prophecies, which is one of those movies that gets a lot less credit than it deserves). And Michel Gondry.

Actually, I'd dare say I really like movies by directors of old music videos.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 23, 2009

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

spixxor posted:

Yeah, a badass poster does not a good movie make, but it can't be worse than the F13 remake. It just can't.

I'm on board for this Nightmare remake, but by aiming higher I'd say it has an easier chance of being worse than the F13 remake.

For one thing, this Nightmare remake is actually a remake of the first Nightmare film. By having the main character be Nancy Thompson again, it draws some comparison to the Halloween remake which did the same thing, and it definitely has large shoes to fill compared to Wes Craven's masterpiece.

The director of this Nightmare remake, Samuel Bayer, is a music video director who hasn't even directed an episode of a TV show. One of the writers has pretty much no credits, the other wrote the Doom movie from 2005.

This Nightmare remake will also probably take itself more seriously than the Friday the 13th one, which means if it fails it'll be even less entertaining.

I'll be seeing this, and I think Rorschach is a great casting choice, but this is definitely not an assured success.

I'm a huge fan, and I put the Friday the 13th remake in the top three in the series. I only rank Friday 4 and Friday 2 above it. It's the classic formula, campers who are entertainingly sad, especially the "dick" character of Trent who I freakin' loved. They get slaughted by Jason, and it's stylish and classic. It didn't aim high, but it did what it set out to do with the formula, and it did it better than the majority of the other sequels I'd say.

And it had a lot of great humor, who didn't love it when the nerd was blasting the 80s classic "Motorin!", Sister Christian by Night Ranger.

Plus it has easily my favorite ending in the series. Jason smashing through the dock is Jason personified. Part IV is my favorite one, but the Corey Feldman ending while hilarious is not as good. Of course, the ending of the first Friday the 13th is awesome as well.

PsychoGoatee fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 23, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

timeandtide posted:

Well, Orphan is almost out and Ebert gave it...3 1/2 out of 4 stars? Maybe it's better than I thought.
drat, you're right. He absolutely loved it.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090722/REVIEWS/907229993

quote:

After seeing "Orphan," I now realize that Damien of "The Omen" was a model child. The Demon Seed was a bumper crop. Rosemary would have been happy to have this baby. Here is a shamelessly effective horror film based on the most diabolical of movie malefactors, a child.

Pity. Esther is such a bright child. So well-behaved. Her paintings are so masterful. She sits down at the piano and rips off a little Tchaikovsky. So why does her adoptive mother have such a fearful attitude toward her? Could it be because after her arrival, Kate, her new mom, got drunk and almost let her son Daniel drown? Had Max, a darling daughter, but then miscarried a third child? Is an alcoholic trying go stay sober? Just doesn’t like the little orphan girl’s looks?

There is something eerie about her. Something too wise, too knowing, too penetrating. And why won’t she remove those ribbons she always wears? And why does she dress like Little Bo-Peep when she goes to school? Daniel is cool toward her. Max is too young to be sure. Only John, the father, is convinced she’s a bright kid, and blameless in a series of unfortunate events.

Vera Farmiga is at the film’s core as Kate, a onetime Yale music professor who feels she is unfairly targeted by her therapist, her husband and eventually the authorities. Peter Sarsgaard is John, the kind of understanding husband who doesn’t understand a damned thing except that he is understanding. And Esther, the orphan, is played by Isabelle Fuhrman, who is not going to be convincing as a nice child for a long, long time.

"Orphan" hinges on a classic thriller device: the heroine who knows the truth and insists on it, even though everyone is convinced she’s mad and wants to ship her off to rehab or even a mental institution. It’s frustrating to know you’re right when no one can see the truth you find so obvious.

Things happen around Esther. A child falls from a playground slide. A car rolls down a hill. A nun comes into harm’s way. Esther spreads disinformation. She’s secretive. And sometimes she’s so perfect, you want to wring her neck. When it turns out the orphanage has faulty info on Esther’s Russian origins, Kate starts sniffing around in what her husband dismisses as paranoia.

"Orphan" begins like your usual thriller, with Scare Alerts and False Alarms. You know, like a nice, peaceful shot until suddenly the sound blares and something rushes past the camera and — hey, it’s only kids. We even get the old standby where Kate is looking in the medicine cabinet and closes it and ohmigod! — there’s another face in the mirror! But hey, it’s only her smiling husband.

Sarsgaard is well-cast in the role. He looks normal, sounds pleasant and yet can suggest something a little twitchy. Not that he’s evil. Simply that he really should trust his wife more. Really.

How the movie handles the other children, Daniel and Max, would probably have offended Gene Siskel, who had a thing about movies exploiting children in danger. This one sure does. What with the treehouse and the pond and the runaway SUV, it’s amazing these kids are still able to function.

The climax is rather startling, combining the logic of the situation with audacity in exploiting its terror. Yet you have to hand it to "Orphan." You want a good horror film about a child from hell, you got one. Do not, under any circumstances, take children to see it. Take my word on this.

It's currently at 44% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I don't know what to think. Ebert's review makes me want to check it out, though.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 23, 2009

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Wait, I thought this new Nightmare was not a remake, but a re-imaging of the Freddy character and also an origin story. I was understanding that it was going to focus on his child murders and then the subsequent capture and burning by the parents.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Polegrinder posted:

Wait, I thought this new Nightmare was not a remake, but a re-imaging of the Freddy character and also an origin story. I was understanding that it was going to focus on his child murders and then the subsequent capture and burning by the parents.

Nope, it stars Nancy Thompson, also has the character of her mom Marge Thompson, etc. It's a remake, not a prequel, and they've finished filming. I've also heard someone say the script wasn't very good, who read a version of it on the internet somewhere I guess. Take that with a grain of salt.

I'll be seeing this, and I hope it's good, and the pics so far are cool. Just getting the concerns out there, don't want the hopes to be way too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

PsychoGoatee posted:

Nope, it stars Nancy Thompson, also has the character of her mom Marge Thompson, etc. It's a remake, not a prequel, and they've finished filming. I've also heard someone say the script wasn't very good, who read a version of it on the internet somewhere I guess. Take that with a grain of salt.

I'll be seeing this, and I hope it's good, and the pics so far are cool. Just getting the concerns out there, don't want the hopes to be way too high.

It's apparently Both. A remake of the first film, with hints of Freddy's past. Nancy and Marge are the only characters from the original story (beside Freddy) that actually show up (although, I am sure Nancy's dad will still be Lt. Thompson, Hero Cop)