Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Well, there we have it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Is there some kind of guide that explains the Linux file system organization? I know Windows stores all the executables and some .inis in the Program Files folder, and all the program data in the AppData folders, but I haven't been able to figure out how the Linux file system works.

People here keep saying "keep your home folder if you reformat," but what exactly does that keep?

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Anunnaki posted:

Is there some kind of guide that explains the Linux file system organization? I know Windows stores all the executables and some .inis in the Program Files folder, and all the program data in the AppData folders, but I haven't been able to figure out how the Linux file system works.

People here keep saying "keep your home folder if you reformat," but what exactly does that keep?
http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy.html

(very useful site by the way)

The home directory contains user-modifiable files, configuration files for the apps you've used and whatever data you decide to put there.

e: Note: on Ubuntu, whatever you change from the System > Administration menu changes global configuration (the ones that require typing your password). These changes are usually made in files located in /etc.

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 10, 2009

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Anunnaki posted:

The linux way of storing files is basically:

/bin and /sbin - Where system-critical binaries go. (Executables needed for boot and generally important stuff)
/etc - System configs.
/var - Stuff like logs, databases and whatnot.
/lib - System libraries. Kinda belongs with /bin and /sbin
/dev - Every device connected to the computer. Yeah, linux treats them as files.
/boot - Boot stuff goes here, sometimes on a separate partition.
/mnt and /media - Stuff you mount, like other drives, USB-drives and CD-drives.
/opt - Stuff, usually non-free depending on distro. Java might belong here, among other things.
/sys and /proc - Basically running processes and current kernel configurations and stuff. Anything changed here is just temporary and will be reverted on reboot.
/tmp - temporary stuff
/home and /root - /home is your homefolder, where you'll be storing most of your personal files like documents, movies and music along with your personal settings (Like desktop theme and how the gnome-panel will behave). /root is roots version of this.

Storing home will let you keep all your personal preferences while the system starts in a clean state. Usually a good idea.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Alright. I'm running GDM with IceWM in RHEL 4. I'm trying to alter the file associations/mimetypes.

I've tried editing /usr/share/applications/defaults.list and mimetypes.cache, then blowing away my .gnome folder in /home/*user*, but that doesn't help. My CSVs still want to open with emacs and not OpenOffice.

What am I missing?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Steppo posted:

Alright. I'm running GDM with IceWM in RHEL 4. I'm trying to alter the file associations/mimetypes.

I've tried editing /usr/share/applications/defaults.list and mimetypes.cache, then blowing away my .gnome folder in /home/*user*, but that doesn't help. My CSVs still want to open with emacs and not OpenOffice.

What am I missing?
Tried doing it from within the filemanager?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Steppo posted:

What am I missing?

In most cases, file managers try to obey the unified MIME handling rules, managed by mailcap. Notably, this doesn't involve any of the files you mentioned.

Edit (or create) the file .mailcap in your home directory. Add this line at the top:
code:
text/csv; oocalc '%s'
That instructs run-mailcap that when it encounters a file with the mimetype text/csv, it should run oocalc with the filename as an argument. The mapping of .csv to text/csv is handled by /etc/mime.types, and should already be setup for you.

You can debug this process by running run-mailcap --debug=1 /some/file.csv, which will print out debugging messages describing why it decided to do what it did.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm trying to install Mandriva Spring 2009 on my EEEPC 900, but neither the CD nor USB installations work. The CD one boots properly until it checks the graphics, after which all I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor. Once I press the power button, it goes to tty1 and shuts down properly. The USB installation doesn't boot at all.

How do I get it to start the Live CD, or install automatically somehow?

Edit: I got it to go a bit further. Now it's stuck on Setting and Checking MSEC permissions, while tty1-6 ask for logon. Can I install it from command line?

Edit2: Never mind, manually starting X fixed everything.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 11, 2009

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
How do I remove/disable gnome tracker? The tracker-indexer hanging issue came back recently for some reason.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I accidentally specified a wrong boot device for GRUB to look for the kernel on, is there any way of modifying it without having to reinstall?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Use the live cd.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The only directions I can find with that is to use the Upgrade function. I don't get an option to do that.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

I accidentally specified a wrong boot device for GRUB to look for the kernel on, is there any way of modifying it without having to reinstall?

just install super grub disk onto a bootable whatever.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

kcncuda71 posted:

just install super grub disk onto a bootable whatever.

Ah, thanks. I haven't heard of that utility before.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I got it into my head to use a web page as a screensaver. I figured out how to do it on Windows using .hta's, but Firefox on Linux doesn't seem to have the same functionality, i.e. an option to start in kiosk mode. I'm not particularly tied to FF, but none of the other browsers seem to have the option either. Any ideas?

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I got it into my head to use a web page as a screensaver. I figured out how to do it on Windows using .hta's, but Firefox on Linux doesn't seem to have the same functionality, i.e. an option to start in kiosk mode. I'm not particularly tied to FF, but none of the other browsers seem to have the option either. Any ideas?
Try Opera. It has a kiosk mode and then a couple of hundred configuration options to hide stuff you don't need.

adante
Sep 18, 2003
huh. we have an Ubuntu 8.10 server at work. How does one apply only security updates?

Only way I can think of is to comment out all non-security references in /etc/apt/sources, update and upgrade? That's cool except occassionally we do want up to date software - so we then have to re-comment them? Not a big deal but seems kind of tedious, surely there is a better way of handling this?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

adante posted:

huh. we have an Ubuntu 8.10 server at work. How does one apply only security updates?

Only way I can think of is to comment out all non-security references in /etc/apt/sources, update and upgrade? That's cool except occassionally we do want up to date software - so we then have to re-comment them? Not a big deal but seems kind of tedious, surely there is a better way of handling this?
Yeah, just don't touch /etc/apt/sources at all. aptitude update && aptitude upgrade ought to get everything done. Since you'd still have 8.10 in the sources list it shouldn't upgrade to 9.04 anyways.

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

reborn posted:

Alright this is a somewhat silly question to ask as I'm assuming it isn't very difficult to setup but I'll ask anyway.

My current setup right now allows me to SSH into home from public wifi giving me a ssh proxy tunnel that I use. That setup is fine and all but I want to setup a squid proxy server on the same box running as my ssh server so that all of my traffic passing through the tunnel is also using the squid cache.

The setup would look like so:

Public WiFi > SSH Tunnel > bounce over port 3128 for squid use > internet (or cache) > back to SSH Tunnel.

I'm curious how to best do this? Since SSHD is listening on the port that the tunnel is on can I forward 3128 to the sshd port and have it work that way or is there something else involved here?

Anyone?

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Does anyone know of a good advanced copy handler for Linux, like TeraCopy for Windows? Seems like Google just returns a bunch of people saying "What do you need it for?" It's nice being able to copy a few gigabytes in a couple minutes, instead of 15-30.

Also, I seem to be having trouble moving my Windows 7 partition. In Linux with GParted, the "Resize/Move" button is just grayed out. Here's a screenie (Windows is the partition on the right):

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 12, 2009

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Anunnaki posted:

Does anyone know of a good advanced copy handler for Linux, like TeraCopy for Windows? Seems like Google just returns a bunch of people saying "What do you need it for?" It's nice being able to copy a few gigabytes in a couple minutes, instead of 15-30.

A few gigabytes in a couple of minutes isn't such a lofty goal, can you quantify what kind of numbers you're getting directly with cp or dd? You can send dd a SIGURS1 signal to dump some stats if you don't want to wait for it to wrap up on a big file.

re: parted, can you launch it from a terminal and see if it complains about ntfs shared library versions?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Couldn't this also be helped with some elevator tweaking, or am I being stupid?

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

covener posted:

A few gigabytes in a couple of minutes isn't such a lofty goal, can you quantify what kind of numbers you're getting directly with cp or dd? You can send dd a SIGURS1 signal to dump some stats if you don't want to wait for it to wrap up on a big file.

re: parted, can you launch it from a terminal and see if it complains about ntfs shared library versions?

Hmm, well I just did a copy on a 6.2 GB folder, and it finished in a couple of minutes, so I guess what I'm looking for is just a nicer frontend. Also, being able to pause for very large transfers would be nice.

For GParted, I launched from the Terminal, and Resize/Move was still grayed out, and looks the same as the screenshot I posted.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Zom Aur posted:

Couldn't this also be helped with some elevator tweaking, or am I being stupid?

For the most part, normal file copies in Linux shouldn't delay on writes at all until they've exhausted available RAM for the pagecache. Reads will block, but readahead should be keeping the source drive reading at just about maximum speed once the copy starts.

There aren't many things I can think of that would get you better performance. You could call fadvise to tell the kernel to evacuate pages that have already been copied, but that shouldn't cause a huge difference, as the kernel would be automatically abandoning old pages for new ones anyway. Bumping swappiness might help if the system doesn't have much RAM, as the kernel would be more willing to get rid of program pages in favor of disc cache. The copy process itself could be reniced to take priority over other IO, but that would only change the relative speeds of various IO operations; the kernel isn't going to let the disc sit idle if there are pending reads or writes.

Anunnaki posted:

Hmm, well I just did a copy on a 6.2 GB folder, and it finished in a couple of minutes, so I guess what I'm looking for is just a nicer frontend. Also, being able to pause for very large transfers would be nice.

What do you want in a frontend? You can pause transfers by hitting control-Z to suspend the current process, then fg to return it to the foreground and resume.

Edit: Note that pausing a copy is sort of a crazy thing to do, as the copy process should be very low priority since it's noninteractive. As a result, while the copy would be eating IO constantly, any interactive IO would take priority over it, and the system shouldn't feel significantly slower during the copy unless something is wrong.

ShoulderDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 12, 2009

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Anunnaki posted:

For GParted, I launched from the Terminal, and Resize/Move was still grayed out, and looks the same as the screenshot I posted.

i had a similar problem. Make sure you properly shut down windows because parted won't deal with a potentially damaged operating system.

adante
Sep 18, 2003

Zom Aur posted:

Yeah, just don't touch /etc/apt/sources at all. aptitude update && aptitude upgrade ought to get everything done. Since you'd still have 8.10 in the sources list it shouldn't upgrade to 9.04 anyways.

This doesn't seem to the case. I commented all but the security lines from sources.list, ran aptitude update && upgrade and upgraded. I then uncommented the non-security lines and ran aptitude update && upgrade -s, and it wanted to install a whole lot of new packages (some, maybe 3-4, of them can be ignored, they are freenx from ppa sources I did not remove):

quote:

$ sudo aptitude upgrade -s
W: The "upgrade" command is deprecated; use "safe-upgrade" instead.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Resolving dependencies...
The following NEW packages will be installed:
binutils-static{a} linux-restricted-modules-2.6.27-14-server{a} linux-restricted-modules-common{a}
linux-restricted-modules-server{a} nvidia-180-modaliases{a}
The following packages will be upgraded:
app-install-data-commercial apparmor apparmor-utils doc-base dpkg dpkg-dev fakeroot file foo2zjs
gnome-system-tools gnome-user-guide gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-bin gvfs-fuse libapparmor-perl libapparmor1
libgvfscommon0 libmagic1 libpam-modules libpam-runtime libpam0g libxcomp3 libxcompext3 linux-image-server
linux-server nvidia-common nxagent nxlibs pm-utils tasksel tasksel-data tzdata xfonts-scalable xserver-common
xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-intel
37 packages upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 27.2MB of archives. After unpacking 4837kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
Abort.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

adante posted:

This doesn't seem to the case. I commented all but the security lines from sources.list, ran aptitude update && upgrade and upgraded. I then uncommented the non-security lines and ran aptitude update && upgrade -s, and it wanted to install a whole lot of new packages (some, maybe 3-4, of them can be ignored, they are freenx from ppa sources I did not remove):
It wants to install 5 new and upgrade 37. Depending on when the last upgrade was made, that's not a huge number at all.

If it wanted you to upgrade to 9.04, you could expect maybe 400MB of archives instead of ~30MB.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ShoulderDaemon posted:

What do you want in a frontend? You can pause transfers by hitting control-Z to suspend the current process, then fg to return it to the foreground and resume.

Edit: Note that pausing a copy is sort of a crazy thing to do, as the copy process should be very low priority since it's noninteractive. As a result, while the copy would be eating IO constantly, any interactive IO would take priority over it, and the system shouldn't feel significantly slower during the copy unless something is wrong.

Well, I mean like an actual interface, not just a progress bar. Just take a look at TeraCopy, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. You can mess around with the copy queue as poo poo is happening, pause the copying, etc. More than just simple copying/moving.

kcncuda71 posted:

i had a similar problem. Make sure you properly shut down windows because parted won't deal with a potentially damaged operating system.
I just hit "restart" in Windows and booted up Linux. But I mean, it gave me this same problem even when I tried to do it before from a cold start.

Edit:

Just a simple question: For command-line compression, why do most sites have examples with two "v" options, such as tar -xvvzf filename.tar.gz? Isn't it redundant to tell it to list verbose output twice? Or does it make it even more verbose, or something, to put it twice?

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 13, 2009

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
-v just prints out the filename and nothing else
-vv also prints out permissions, size, date & time.
It's a bit like 'ls -1' vs 'ls -l'

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

Quick and silly question:

How can I use grep to remove any line commented out of a config file?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

-v inverts the match, so prints all lines that done match. For example, if the comment lines start with a hash....

cat file | grep -v ^#

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Pablo Bluth posted:

cat file | grep -v ^#

And you wouldn't do grep -v ^# filename because...?

Why are you even bothering with cat?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Pablo Bluth posted:

-v inverts the match, so prints all lines that done match. For example, if the comment lines start with a hash....

cat file | grep -v ^#

note to OP, probably need to escape the hash in your shell!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I would just open the file in vi and do something like this to remove #'s :

:%s/^#\+//g

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

JHVH-1 posted:

I would just open the file in vi and do something like this to remove #'s :

:%s/^#\+//g

Except that it was asked how to accomplish it using grep.

For scripting purposes, no doubt.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can some one tell me the state of ext4 support in debian? From what I can gather, with lenny they only have support for ext4dev, and full ext4 support can be had with a backport.

I can't figure out what kernel version squeeze comes with. I would guess it does have ext4 support?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender
I don't have an answer for the rest of your question, because I don't care about ext4, but

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I can't figure out what kernel version squeeze comes with.

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/linux-image

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Accipiter posted:

And you wouldn't do grep -v ^# filename because...?

Why are you even bothering with cat?
Pure (and inefficient) habit.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Well I am not getting very far with this. . .

I have booted from a debian lenny install cd, and when I select "expert graphical installer" I am met with: http://ntrnt.com/debian.jpg

It just sits there, forever.

edit: Appending noapic acpi=off fb=off to the boot line does not help.

edit edit: I got the installer to run with pci=nomsi pci=noacpi nolapic noapic acpi=off. woah.

other people fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adante
Sep 18, 2003

Zom Aur posted:

It wants to install 5 new and upgrade 37. Depending on when the last upgrade was made, that's not a huge number at all.

If it wanted you to upgrade to 9.04, you could expect maybe 400MB of archives instead of ~30MB.

the point is I don't want to upgrade any. The server works fine (ain't broke don't fix it) and fulfills some fairly important business functions, so I just want to apply the critical security patches only.

for those who are interested the solution is here:
code:
aptitude safe-upgrade --target-release `lsb_release -cs`-security