Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Did you get your bike sorted out Ola?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Felt the need to torture myself in odd ways this week.

ZX600
Friday: adjust valves, find crazy small wrenches to loosen tappets, end up using fingernails to adjust them.
Saturday: See that carb is making GBS threads fuel everywhere, dive in, find another broken oring stick in the seat. Not exactly sure where they are coming from.
Sunday early morning: Still cleaning and inspecting carb internals, find some gunk near the pilot adjusters, clean all of that and get everything balanced correctly. Shatter glass in my carb cleaner induced haze.
Sunday afternoon: Sync carbs, reinstall carbs, enjoy the new super smooth engine.

SV650
monday: Oil filters finally arrive, yay oil change day

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

Sunday early morning: Still cleaning and inspecting carb internals, find some gunk near the pilot adjusters, clean all of that and get everything balanced correctly. Shatter drinking glass under garage door in my carb cleaner induced haze.

Editted for :madmax: clarity.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Editted for :madmax: clarity.

It still baffles me. Poor IKEA cup I hardly knew thee

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

jdonz posted:

Did you get your bike sorted out Ola?

I've received a new coil, but haven't had time to put it on yet. Hopefully that will do the trick!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Washed" it.

(read: rode to work, and it's been raining since 11:00)

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Phy posted:

"Washed" it.

(read: rode to work, and it's been raining since 11:00)

Hey, I washed mine as well. I rode it from the Midlands to Cornwall, via Wiltshire and then ignored it for a week (I am a passionate biker to the extreme, but dammit, it's just easier to go to the beach in a car). She seriously got loads of washing with the rain we had this past week.

Then I rode her the 500km back again, in the process buying a tank of petrol at 122.9p a litre. For those of yous unused to our funny prices, it's normally somewhere between 97.9p and 105.9p (I've been on busy A-roads lately, so the price is somewhat steeper).

Two things I've learnt, a 400cc engine will sip fuel, as long as I'm not blasting motorway miles at 80mph, and Texaco low-sulphur unleaded makes the bike run like a dream. It may just be something else, but, my god, she was flying back.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
I installed cb500 forks, front wheel, fender and disc-brake on my 1977 XL350. it may be blasphemy but it's going to be fun.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
This week i have pulled down the GS leaving only the engine, wiring and front end. I wanted to get it running before i got the frame painted, just incase.

Today i pulled the carbs with the intent of giving it the best clean i could without replacing parts that i don't have. Easy enough,

I soaked the jets and scrubbed what i could, but there's poo poo everywhere and the gaskets are all ripped to hell and they really need a proper soak. I'll put em on and see what happens though.

I'll order parts tomorrow which are likely to take a month. If its gonna take a while i might clean up the wiring.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Well lets see.

Mounted a center stand to my SV650, and in the process my Harbor Freight low profile spool stand bent and toppled the bike over. One step forward, 2 steps back :sigh:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

An open letter.

Dear local Suzuki dealer:

What the hell? I ordered two tiny gaskets, 8 days later they still haven't arrived. It took 36 hours for my bikebandit order to arrive, that's from California to Norway. On my job we regularly send stuff from Bergen to Oslo, it takes one business day. Your supplier couldn't manage those tiny things (which they had in stock) for a whole drat week. You even blamed your supplier for having a skeleton crew on the summer holiday and expected me to join your side and we could both smile and shake our heads at them.

gently caress that, your supplier is part of your value chain and my customer experience is just as lovely if they gently caress up as if you do. My entire weekend is jam packed, I have no time to work on the bike after Thursday. I leave for motherfucking Europe on Monday morning with a huge oil leak due to your ineptitude. If my poo poo haven't arrived tomorrow, I will never ever set foot in your store again.

PS I noticed you said you were closed on Saturday due to a family marriage, I hope it ends with childlessness, plague, death and the end of your empire.

PPS I hope the supplier's holiday consists mostly of traffic jams and being stung by jellyfish

PPPS gently caress YOU

In other news, on my way to the dealer, I ran out of gas for the first time for real. I thought I had more gas, perhaps it has evaporated a bit since I parked it over a week ago. Anyway I started losing throttle response on the highway, uphill and on reserve. By the time I had turned off it, only the last 3/4 of throttle responded. Coasting through the last light (green thank god) it finally quit. I coasted downhill, turned left into the station with no traffic coming towards me and stopped at the pump, didn't have to push it in a inch. A bit of luck in a unlucky day, as I also got the flu today.

There, rant over.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Ola posted:

It took 36 hours for my bikebandit order to arrive, that's from California to Norway.

:monocle:

Did you bribe them or something? Last time I ordered from them it was a week before anything even shipped out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

:monocle:

Did you bribe them or something? Last time I ordered from them it was a week before anything even shipped out.

Shipping wasn't cheap and it did take a little while for all things to be packed, but once it was registered into the UPS system it flew here like on the tip of a ballistic missile.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

The monkeyfuckers at bikebandit shipped my right side frame stay via UPS, when it clearly says "international orders via Fedex" on their website. Preparing for 100%-of-purchase-price cross-border brokerage assrape.

Anyone ever have any success counterbilling bikebandit for stupid stunts like that?

Ok, so it was 50% of purchase price. I called up bikebandit and gave them a little poo poo about it, and they credited me the UPS brokerage since they do claim to present all duties, taxes, and brokerage fees at point of purchase. Fellow on the phone said they'd been having some trouble with UPS over this stuff.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Ola posted:

:argh:

poo poo, that sucks. For purely selfish reasons I hope you get everything sorted out, I can't wait to hear about your Europe trip.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A bit of good news, got the new (used) coil mounted and my girl is firing like a champ on all four.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Not my ride, but I disassembled my helmet pads and washed them for the first time. A couple of the plastic tabs that hold them in place got a little stretched/distorted when I pulled them out, I hope I did it right. :ohdear:

Waiting for them to dry so I can go for a ride.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
I'd like to apologize in advance for the multitude of lovely cellphone pictures. I do not have a proper camera at this time.

The work depicted has been done in recent days, I did not have time to write it up earlier. It all started when I found a stray door leaning leisurely against a wall.

It looked bored so I decided to put it somewhere. Inside this wall why not. But what is that? There's something on the other side.

I think a biek may have made a nest here.

And that's what it is! There's a Suzuki GSX600F napping in the brick-cave. In the wild, they hibernate through the winter in such brick-caves. I snuck the door into the opening...

...and then set forth to tame the bike. It had a bad case of moldy tire on the front wheel, with the help of some bricks I took off the wheel and after a quick trip to the shop it's sporting brand new rubber.

In other news I couldn't get the left side caliper out from between the disc and the wheel so I dismantled it and now I need to bleed the brakes. I later discovered all it needed was a bit of welly. poo poo.

It seemed at this point that the bike was warming up to me. Good time to change the oil. I didn't even burn myself on the pipes.

Here is my left hand showing off my awesome improvised filter wrench. The black poo poo in the can used to be inside the bike. It is as black as a moonless night.

This is how it was when I got it I swear.

Questions:

1.) The front axle. There's a hole in it for a pin but it does not seem to be long enough to reach through the nut. I suppose it could be off a different bike or something? Is my front wheel going to come off and murder me?

2.) I'm a clot and forgot to put a washer between the block and the oil drain bolt. If it does not leak when I test it, I do not intend to waste four litres of perfectly good oil to put it there. Or should I?

3.) How exactly do I know that there aren't going to be more bubbles when I bleed the brakes. Do people put a translucent hose on the nipple or something or just eyeball it?

4.) There was a very tiny blob of shavings on the oil plug magnet. Fibre-like but metallic so I don't suppose it was from the clutch. I suspect the oil has not been changed since the nineties. Tell me it is okay.

5.) I have a tendency to make big posts and there's more stuff I intend to do to the bike. Nothing crazy interesting like a hardtail conversion or a turbocharger, mostly basic maintenance. Should I just make a thread or keep it in here?

Duuk fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 15, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Make a thread. :)

Can you take a clearer picture of your front axle? Usually you'll have a hole that runs through the axle and will allow you to push a cotter pin through and capture it with that wierd looking castle nut.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Haha, smash a hole and be greeted - not by spiders - but a motorcycle! :shobon:

1) I would feel slightly uncomfortable with that. Check out the parts drawings (over at bikebandit.com for instance) and see if all the parts are there and they look similar. Also see if the axle has been cut, it might have had poor threads on the end which the PO sawed off.

2) It might leak, it might not. If it does, drain the oil in a clean container and put it back in.

3) I use a translucent hose, pump until there's no bubbles/dark fluid and then some more.

4) Mine had these too in the filter. Scared me real good, but apparently not too abnormal. Probably from the gearbox says the internet.

5) Threads are nice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Duuk posted:

5.) I have a tendency to make big posts and there's more stuff I intend to do to the bike. Nothing crazy interesting like a hardtail conversion or a turbocharger, mostly basic maintenance. Should I just make a thread or keep it in here?

Ola covered everything else, just wanted to add that you should make a thread.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I ordered a new front and rear TKC80 for the Funduro, new fork seals and steering head bearings should be here soon. Riding the bike I'd never know any of the stuff is worn out, but as soon as it stops I notice a worn rear tire, leaky fork seal and notchy steering head bearings. This weekend will be fun.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Kicked it over!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1KIssoi37w
But poo poo, i thought the DRZ was loud.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Dubs posted:

Kicked it over!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1KIssoi37w
But poo poo, i thought the DRZ was loud.

Doesn't look like the gas tank is on that beast. How do you keep fuel running to it?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
The tank is full of poo poo so i cant use it (see carbs above) so i stuck about a meter of fuel hose stuck onto the carbs and filled them both outside before i put them on the bike, You can see the black fuel hose zip tied to the throttle.
It ran for minute or so i guess but that's enough for me, engine will be out asap.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Commuted in crazy-rear end July Dallas heat. 102.5F today.

On my way to work there was crazy traffic. The highway I take was at a dead stop for maybe 3 miles. The three lane tollway was shut down to one lane by a wreck. I quickly learned to lanesplit to get out of that mess, as I was already late for work and it was already 85F outside. I still arrived just as my boss was pulling in, even though I was over an hour later than normal. (dropped my car off at the mechanic) :)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
locked up the rear tire! It's a loving good thing I was going straight. Now I have an idea of how little pressure it actually takes to lock the rear, though, so that helps.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
Did this yesterday, but that's close enough.

20 year old bike, thus 20 year old rotors, lines, master cylinder and from the looks of them when I took them off, pads as well. Well, I didn't actually get the pads out as the locking nut has welded itself to the calipers and would not move. So they're both sitting at the local bike shop where someone with some real power tools can have a go.

Here is the front wheel and old rotors:

and here are the shiny new JT Braking ones:

There was a fair amount of crap on the wheel as well, a bit of a scrub and they came up a treat.

The old and crappy lines and master cylinder:

Have been replaced with a swish new Nissin and Hel setup:

I don't have any shots of the calipers unfortunately, but they were a real nasty black colour, particularly the pads. I'd guess the previous owner(s) hadn't ever taken them off, and probably never changed the pads. A nice set of EBC HH pads are going in.

chyaroh fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 18, 2009

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
Picked up some T-Rex stands off craigslist so I could finally get around to cleaning my chain.

While cleaning the chain, I noticed there's a tight spot in it. Is this something that's going to kill me immediately, or is it alright to let it go for a while?

Also, for those of you who clean with kerosene, how do you dispose of it and any rags you use?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

waptang posted:

Picked up some T-Rex stands off craigslist so I could finally get around to cleaning my chain.

While cleaning the chain, I noticed there's a tight spot in it. Is this something that's going to kill me immediately, or is it alright to let it go for a while?

Also, for those of you who clean with kerosene, how do you dispose of it and any rags you use?

How long has it been since it has been cleaned and oiled? After I started using gear oil I had a tight spot that went away surprisingly quick. In regards to the cleaner and paper towels I just toss them in a trashcan and move it outside with the lid off. The stuff evaporates at a quick rate and leaves everything dry after a couple of hours. I just dont like leaving that stuff sit around since I am pretty paranoid about fires.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

How long has it been since it has been cleaned and oiled? After I started using gear oil I had a tight spot that went away surprisingly quick. In regards to the cleaner and paper towels I just toss them in a trashcan and move it outside with the lid off. The stuff evaporates at a quick rate and leaves everything dry after a couple of hours. I just dont like leaving that stuff sit around since I am pretty paranoid about fires.

It's probably been about 1000 miles since it was last cleaned and lubed. I'm using the spray teflon chain wax right now, but will probably switch to regular gear oil after this can is gone.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
Ya know, one of these days I should clean my chain. It's been a year and seven thousand miles since I bought the bike and I've not done it yet. I squirt it with lube every few days, but so far no cleaning. It's just such an obinoxious looking job. I keep toying with the idea of putting the bike up on a stand, strapping it down, starting it, letting it idle in first gear, and just shoving the grunge brush I bought in there so the chain runs through it. Squirt it with oil now and then to use as a solvent, and let it clean itself!

Oh, well. Guess I'd better do it right, huh? But not until I fix the idle. It's idling rich again, I think the carb vent line was kinked when I set it last.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

waptang posted:

It's probably been about 1000 miles since it was last cleaned and lubed. I'm using the spray teflon chain wax right now, but will probably switch to regular gear oil after this can is gone.

Switch to gear oil and never look back. That poo poo attracts so much dirt and junk that you need to clean it off constantly. Gear oil uses the power of magic and dead squids to keep the chain looking shiny.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I was out running some errands, and I've needed some new grips. There's a Ducati dealership not far from where I was so I decided to stop by and see if they had anything cheap. They did. All those pretty bikes, though... :cry: As if the new 1100 Classico's weren't hot enough, they also had 5 Bimotas, including a DB5 in red, green and white. :shlick:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put on a pair of black EMGO hand guards on the KLR, they're not as big or don't stop as much wind as the stockers, but they're pretty much the same as the Acerbis Rally Pro guards. I like'em.
Here's some pics someone on stromtrooper took of them.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19606

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Put on swingarm sliders and a crampbuster throttle control. My trip next month is looking a lot better already.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I got a replacement turn signal lens for the one I broke off yesterday. Then I got an estimate to replace everything else that was scratched/damaged: $900 after labor.

I'm glad I don't need to bother to fix all of that.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
Got a vista cruise throttle lock and installed it today. Still need to tweak it a little bit, but I think it should make my 20 mile highway commute a little easier.

dietcokefiend posted:

Switch to gear oil and never look back. That poo poo attracts so much dirt and junk that you need to clean it off constantly. Gear oil uses the power of magic and dead squids to keep the chain looking shiny.

So you don't the tight spot in the chain is going to cause any problems right away? Just something I should keep an eye on.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Went and bought a 2009 Ninja 250 today. I pick it up next weekend as my gear didn't make it in yet. This week is going to take forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rode down the George Washington Memorial Parkway to get to BBQ with a couple fellow goons (TapForwardToAssist and uhhh Daniel whose forum name I forgot). We found Fort Washington - The Capital's Guardian.

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

Weirdest bike gang ever. TTFA's Bonnie (I love the sound of this), my SV, Daniel's Ninjette.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

EDIT: Image resizer only worked on the last one. loving internet.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 19, 2009