Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

burdt posted:

this is not so much a purchase as it is finally putting a ton of separate purchases together and getting a working prototype out by the end of the weekend.

i present to you the inaugural stompbox in my newly established bedroom based guitar pedal company, Hubris.

A TS-808 tube screamer clone.

mandatory gut shot:

it was hastily assembled and will probably not leave my bedroom, but its "new" gear for me nonetheless. wasn't able to crank it tonight because i finished too late but tomorrow i will go to town on it.

Out of curiosity, what'd you use to mill out the holes in that enclosure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)

Gorilla Salsa posted:

This is pretty loving sweet. How much does that awesome-rear end enclosure cost you, and would you be willing to build me a Dr. Boogie inside of one?

the enclosure came from my university's surplus, i got a great deal on a box full of them and i'm probably going back for another box full in a couple weeks. in regards to dr. boogey, i will try to fit the six pots in the box, but it'll be tough. do you use 9v batteries or do you have an ac adapter? if you can spare using batteries, i can probably fit it all in there.

Hubis posted:

Out of curiosity, what'd you use to mill out the holes in that enclosure?

just a standard drill and a unibit. and occasional dremel tool to smooth out certain bumps. its a bit of a pain but i get by. what i really need is a drill press.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

burdt posted:

the enclosure came from my university's surplus, i got a great deal on a box full of them and i'm probably going back for another box full in a couple weeks.

Did you post that enclosure on diystompboxes? Looks familiar.

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

the wizards beard posted:

Did you post that enclosure on diystompboxes? Looks familiar.

hehe, i did. this new pedal is on the pictures thread and i had the unmilled box in the creative enclosures thread. i have the same handle. nice to see another diy-er.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Stabbing Spork posted:

Got a new desk so I can actually use all my stuff, and some new KRK RP5 G2's so I can actually hear what I'm doing.

I had that exact desk as of a month ago! It's loving awesome, but warps like hell -- how cheap it is isn't a mistake, it turns out.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

burdt posted:

the enclosure came from my university's surplus, i got a great deal on a box full of them and i'm probably going back for another box full in a couple weeks. in regards to dr. boogey, i will try to fit the six pots in the box, but it'll be tough. do you use 9v batteries or do you have an ac adapter? if you can spare using batteries, i can probably fit it all in there.
I use an AC adapter, but really, if you can just make me the Dr. Boogey in any enclosure, I'd be happy. I have no electronic knowledge beyond soldering pickups, and I want one so bad.

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I use an AC adapter, but really, if you can just make me the Dr. Boogey in any enclosure, I'd be happy. I have no electronic knowledge beyond soldering pickups, and I want one so bad.

i'll make you one. i need the practice. i have hammond 1590bb enclosures that will house it nicely. like this:

Click here for the full 800x670 image.

to work out the details, email me at figgisfiddis@gmail.com

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
Months later, I've turned a $30 Squier into a rocking machine:

Put in a GFS Dream 180 with coil splitting, a killswitch and some tone cap nonsense (which I'm still struggling with). You don't even want to see the mess that is all my soldering on the inside.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

burdt posted:

i'll make you one. i need the practice. i have hammond 1590bb enclosures that will house it nicely. like this:

Up for one more? I've been wanting to try one of those myself, and depending on the details, as you say, I'd love to work something out perhaps?

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

Agreed posted:

Up for one more? I've been wanting to try one of those myself, and depending on the details, as you say, I'd love to work something out perhaps?

alright, either way its better to etch two boards than just one. email me before we veer too far offtopic.

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001
Picked up a later era black with rosewood fretboard Peavey T-40 bass today. 220 bucks with a hard case, clean as hell. Man this thing ROARS and the action is great. I'm addicted to peaveys and I gotta stop.

I love craigslist.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

communistdew posted:

Months later, I've turned a $30 Squier into a rocking machine:

Put in a GFS Dream 180 with coil splitting, a killswitch and some tone cap nonsense (which I'm still struggling with). You don't even want to see the mess that is all my soldering on the inside.

I really like this, looks great. I was thinking of installing a killswitch, how hard was it?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Twlight posted:

I really like this, looks great. I was thinking of installing a killswitch, how hard was it?
They are easy as hell to install, just go to radio shack and look for a normally closed, temporary open switch. Solder it in right before the output jack, and there you go.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Pokey Araya posted:

They are easy as hell to install, just go to radio shack and look for a normally closed, temporary open switch. Solder it in right before the output jack, and there you go.

What he said. They're so easy I just throw them in all the strats I modify. Here's a nice instructable that has some good diagrams and stuff:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Guitar-Killswitch-Strat.-design/

That's where I learned to do it anyway.

I originally was going to go all black everything, but I got a good deal on the pickup. I'm liking the gold a lot now.

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.

burdt posted:

Not to derail any more, but this Dr. Boogie looks sweet. I think I'd like to build one myself instead of having one built, though, as I also need the practice (I'm still trying to nail down what's wrong with the BYOC Bluesbreaker clone I built, but I just bought a new soldering iron and it would be a shame not to put it to use).

Pedal/DIY electronics gurus: I'm having some trouble parsing all the information in the Dr. Boogie schematic: am I missing something or does it not show where the power supply goes in the circuit? Also, I certainly don't have any of the components necessary. Is there someplace like BYOC that sells a kit of the Dr. Boogie?

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Pokey Araya posted:

The better way to do it is with a normally open switch connected across the output, to short out the hot lead rather than leave it floating and susceptible to picking up noise.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Chows posted:

The better way to do it is with a normally open switch connected across the output, to short out the hot lead rather than leave it floating and susceptible to picking up noise.

Yeah I was about to say, using an NC switch is equvalent to unplugging the cable repeatedly -- what you want is to ground the signal (i.e. short the hot output/tip to the ground/shaft). But using an NC is almost as easy, regardless.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 14, 2009

Hubis
May 18, 2003

doubleproust

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Early Cuyler posted:

Pedal/DIY electronics gurus: I'm having some trouble parsing all the information in the Dr. Boogie schematic: am I missing something or does it not show where the power supply goes in the circuit? Also, I certainly don't have any of the components necessary. Is there someplace like BYOC that sells a kit of the Dr. Boogie?
I couldn't find any kits in all my days of searching. I've wanted to try this pedal out for a long while after seeing some demos on youtube, but my boss got fired recently, so I've been working 56-hour work weeks, so I've got no time/knowledge to build one myself.

I want mine to be labeled "Dr. Booger" :3:

Here's where I imagine the power input goes

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
OLCircuits used to license the Dr Boogie and sell it as a kit but they don't seem to offer it any more (which means "Dr Boogie" is probably protected as copyright, that's why people sell them as Rectal Doctors or Boogers or whatever).

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.

the wizards beard posted:

OLCircuits used to license the Dr Boogie and sell it as a kit but they don't seem to offer it any more (which means "Dr Boogie" is probably protected as copyright, that's why people sell them as Rectal Doctors or Boogers or whatever).

I went looking a little bit myself this morning, and it turns out that OLC's Dr. Boogie got discontinued and then was redesigned into the Slow Century (basically a Soldano SLO-100 clone). I'm currently waffling between that and the BYOC Lazy Sprocket for my next pedal build, but, like I said, I have to get my BluesBreaker clone working again, and that means finding a new 2x4 header/socket cuz mine is hella broke.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

burdt posted:

Since this is the new purchases thread, I came to let you all know I just bought one of these.

So loving stoked. I'll post pictures when I refinish it.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

I contribute very little to this thread, so I'm going to do so in a very masturbatory way and post a new song of mine, to show off my lovely, 300 dollar recording setup.

Microphone: MXL990s
Guitar: Ibanez PF5 ("Penelope")
Interface: Line 6 TonePort UX2
Software: Gearbox > Garageband

It's amazing how much you can really get for so little, if anyone was wondering about any of these three products, I would totally recommend them for a low-budget starter studio situation.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
What I'll be getting in the near future:

Currently using a Randall RG40R - a little 1x12 solid state thing. I like the sound, but the distortion is just too harsh, and it could use a bit of bolstering in the bottom end.
I had been looking around for a replacement - saw a Marshall JCM2000 DSL-401 which I absolutely loved, but decided to keep looking. Went to another place and checked out a Vox VT50, which was marginally better than the Marshall JVM series combo, which was loving terrible for what I wanted - I was pretty surprised. Thought I'd check out some Randall gear anyway, and got exactly what I wanted. The big valve-mosfet pre-power head and cab that I saw I would get in an instant, but;
1. Too expensive.
2. Too loud. Way too loud.

So I checked out some of their combos, and came across a RX-75R, which had the bottom end that I was after but not the smoothness. RG-50TC, which had everything I wanted except utter rawness. The RG100G3 fixed that right up. Perfect. So I'll be looking forward to picking her up in a month or so!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

G3+, not just G3, right?

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Agreed posted:

G3+, not just G3, right?

Uh, don't believe so? Haven't seen the G3+ around in Australia, if it's a different model.
EDIT: Hmmm, and looks to be a new series? I'll have to question the shop to see if it's available.

The Stygian fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 15, 2009

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I know I already posted my new EHX Metal Muff in here but I found my old desktop microphone today and decided to make a recording because I'm so drat impressed with this pedal.

Here's just a quick little clip with the clean signal then the dirt kicked in:

That's the sound I'm getting out of a Highway One Strat with the stock humbucker into a Blues Junior. They aren't loving around when they say this pedal can turn anything into a monster. The pedal is super versatile too, I can get anything from a modern Killswitch Engage tone to an older Lunar Strain type sound. This is my first EHX pedal and I'm probably going to buying from them for a while now.

HEY MAN TV ON PC
Jul 14, 2009
I compiled my keyboard setup over the course of June/July.
*Nord Electro 3 (Actually got this in late April, but the rest is new)
*Roland KC-550
*Pedals, bench, stand, cords, etc.

The Nord replicates the Hammond organ sounds really well - it stands up to my real B3 - and it weighs about a tenth as much. The Rhodes and Clavinet sounds are spot-on, too. I didn't need any new synth/sampling stuff, just a lighter version of the vintage keyboards, so this is working out perfectly. While it doesn't sample on the fly, you can create/load samples into it via some Nord software that I have yet to try. It shipped with some sweet Mellotron samples, and you can use anything you like in Nord's online sample library. My main complaint is that to switch organ presets you have to hold "shift" and then hit the preset button, which is not cool for when you're in the middle of a solo and need to swap tones. Switching from organ to pianos, however, is just one button.

The KC-550 is a nice keyboard amp too - even though it's obviously not stereo, it's got balanced out if you want to put it into a PA. Mainly, it covers the all highs and lows and stays clean at high volumes, so I can leave the tube distortion emulation to the Nord. I don't think I really know what I'm getting into with 180 Watts - the master volume hasn't gone past 3/10 when playing next to live drums.

I made a quick video when I first got the keyboard a few months ago so you can watch me loving around.

HEY MAN TV ON PC fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 16, 2009

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Thoogsby posted:

I know I already posted my new EHX Metal Muff in here but I found my old desktop microphone today and decided to make a recording because I'm so drat impressed with this pedal.

Here's just a quick little clip with the clean signal then the dirt kicked in:

That's the sound I'm getting out of a Highway One Strat with the stock humbucker into a Blues Junior. They aren't loving around when they say this pedal can turn anything into a monster. The pedal is super versatile too, I can get anything from a modern Killswitch Engage tone to an older Lunar Strain type sound. This is my first EHX pedal and I'm probably going to buying from them for a while now.

What's that distorted tune you're playing?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Crossposting this from the guitar thread, because this may/may not be one of my next purchases:

Roter guitars out of Poland are working on making production Fanned-Fret 8-strings for ~$1000 (depending on what options you request). They look like they're going to be loving sweet, and I'm most definitely going to be buying one if all goes well.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So excited.

can't wait.

love the ME, but thinking about returning the DD7 cause it seems somewhat redundant. any suggestions?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Keep both, the DD-7's modulation modes alone are worth the price of entry. Plus, now you can experience the unique joys of two delays.

Congrats on the ME-70 purchase, that's my favorite multi-effects unit right now (over the Line6 M13). I'd love to have one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe you should take some standing still lessons.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
I can never remember to take pictures of new stuff when I get it so here' just a general shot of what I'm working with.

New stuff:

Unibody Macbook Pro
APC40
Ableton 8
Vaporizer heh
Wall mount for monitor

Poly 800!

MY GIRLFRIEND's Yamaha Digi Piano that i'm using for the summer

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

What's that distorted tune you're playing?

That would be Siberian Divide by Mastodon.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Crap in a hat Ben, all of that poo poo is amazing.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
It's nice because i finally don't have anything absolutely necessary left to buy. But I'm sure I'll think of a few more things

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe you should take some standing still lessons.

yeah. sorry, but I was pretty jazzed sabout getting all that stuff.

How much depth and utility will I ge from keeping the DD7? will the benifit of having two delays outweigh the $160 I tossed for it? What are these so called "unique joys" I can explore and experience?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Ben and Stew posted:

It's nice because i finally don't have anything absolutely necessary left to buy. But I'm sure I'll think of a few more things

Well I just blew it. Agreed you made me do it...

Excited to compare it to the diamond comp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Well I just blew it. Agreed you made me do it...

Excited to compare it to the diamond comp.

You're going to love that thing. It's one of the most important pedals in my signal chain to getting my sound now. Basically magic.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it versus the Diamond Comp; that's the one compressor which I'm still curious about. Well, that and the Wampler Ego Compressor. I'm going to have to get more Wampler pedals, Brian is great at what he does, even though the Ego Comp is clearly piggybacking on the concept of the Tone Press... Brian didn't invent distortion, either, but the Plextortion and Super Plextortion are still some of the most impressive dirt pedals I've ever used. If anything can give the Tone Press a run for its money on its own turf it would be the Wampler.

You know what, I think I'll get ahold of Brian and see about getting one in to review; I'll take the opportunity to compare it to the Tone Press on my blog. Should be some good content for both Frugal and my blog.