Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Deodorant posted:

AFM. Gonna send in an application for the second half of the season tomorrow.

Edit: That's Jen Lauritzen in the background, I think you've done some racing with her.

Ahh, yes, I have. That's awesome...I'm not gonna be racing the rest of the season though. Can't afford it with some stuff that came up :(

Post race reports, though! And good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deodorant
Dec 10, 2006
Pete Doherty's dealer
Will do, thanks. :)

I haven't had much luck with money either. Only got to race 1 round last year and will hopefully get 2 in this season.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Deodorant posted:

Will do, thanks. :)

I haven't had much luck with money either. Only got to race 1 round last year and will hopefully get 2 in this season.

Yeah...I'm saving to try and make it through the entire year next year, plus some extra cash for trackdays/practice. Which rounds are you going to try and make? I may squeeze the last infineon round into the budget depending on what they decide to do with it.

Deodorant
Dec 10, 2006
Pete Doherty's dealer
The two Sears rounds. I can do one for sure, the second is 50/50.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Ah, here we go, finally get to post my bike!

HEY GUYZ BUSA'S ARE GOOD STARTER BIKES RIIIIGHT??

Haha, not likely, that thing is loving scaaaaaaaaaary.

My buddy steve, with his busa, parked next to my pretty little '06 ninjette.

Don't worry little ninja, I still love you. :)

If you read my posts in the "questions" thread my bike didn't like to idle. As far as i can tell the idle adjust screw was too low, and the gas is really low and we needed to put it on reserve. Got the idle adjusted and the petcock set to reserve and it idles like a dream.

And if you didn't read my posts in the questions thread, there's my 2 cents about my bike.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Methusulah posted:

If you read my posts in the "questions" thread my bike didn't like to idle. As far as i can tell the idle adjust screw was too low, and the gas is really low and we needed to put it on reserve. Got the idle adjusted and the petcock set to reserve and it idles like a dream.

And if you didn't read my posts in the questions thread, there's my 2 cents about my bike.

Glad you got the idle sorted out. Bike looks like its in great shape, at least what I can see in that shot! Is Steve an honest to god 'busa riding grandpa? Most extreme grandpa ever, if so.

Net Boners
Mar 2, 2002

did you go to town with hot wheel tracks, Joan Quinn?
Grandpa is my Name
SPOILING
IS MY GAME

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
The logical conclusion of 'grandpa rides a hayabusa' is 'great-grandpa just turbo'd his hayabusa.' It's the only direction for him to go. :ssj:

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

sirbeefalot posted:

Glad you got the idle sorted out. Bike looks like its in great shape, at least what I can see in that shot! Is Steve an honest to god 'busa riding grandpa? Most extreme grandpa ever, if so.

You bet your rear end he is! He's got a little grandson and two grand-daughters. He's a great guy and it'll be fun to go riding with him once the weather clears up.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
My god I am so happy.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

sigtrap posted:

My god I am so happy.

I hate you. I want one of those so loving bad. :argh:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^ Time for a new custom title.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

sigtrap posted:

My god I am so happy.

goddamn you, my dream bike in my colors.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
I waited a bit and this popped up with just over 500 miles on it, and for $7500. There's no way I was waiting to sell the BMW first.

And I can say with no exaggeration that, apart from fuel economy, this is better than the BMW in every other conceivable way.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

sigtrap posted:

Nice bike! Just a note: if that thing hanging from your key ring is made of metal and is touching the triple clamp, it will eventually scratch it all to hell and you will be a sad monkey. Use something made of rubber instead, preferably a miniature VFR :)

Simkin
May 18, 2007

500 miles? What the hell is wrong with people that they barely even bother breaking something in before selling it off? Well, I mean, unless it was a terrible financial decision, and you're helping him keep the wolves at bay...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's loving gorgeous, congrats!

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

They say...hunger is the best spice!
I just picked this little beauty up about a week ago. Sorry baby Jesus.

[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/3a12524724331f781d9941762435e0fbaa67c89d/IMG_1218 [50%].jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/636f7be556eaa1d2fdeffce2657637ffbdac54da/IMG_1219 [50%].jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/7ac993d348ca9504b493eb9f40c1f18388936dc2/IMG_1220 [50%].jpg[/img]

Yamaha FZ6. Already put over 100 miles on it, mainly using it for commuting to work and riding around town.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

sigtrap posted:

I waited a bit and this popped up with just over 500 miles on it, and for $7500. There's no way I was waiting to sell the BMW first.

And I can say with no exaggeration that, apart from fuel economy, this is better than the BMW in every other conceivable way.

drat that paintjob is catching on fast. Fuel economy can be hard to get an accurate idea of, as in the 2000 miles I've put on mine I've only managed to fill it enough to register full on the gauge once, and I almost overflowed it that time.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

drat that paintjob is catching on fast. Fuel economy can be hard to get an accurate idea of, as in the 2000 miles I've put on mine I've only managed to fill it enough to register full on the gauge once, and I almost overflowed it that time.

Are you filling it on the sidestand or center stand? I had no problems filling my friend's same Gen VFR to full...

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

Are you filling it on the sidestand or center stand? I had no problems filling my friend's same Gen VFR to full...

Side but I sit it straight up. The only time mine came to full is when it was up to the lip. I thought it was a model thing but maybe my float is sticking or something.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
Sometime in November I decided to buy a motorcycle. After a few weeks of research I decided on a Suzuki Boulevard M50. I found a new 2008 for a great price and bought it. Then the waiting started. I live in northern Ontario and the good riding weather doesn't come until June. The dealer agreed to store the bike for free until I could go pick it up.

I took my riding course May 1st (during which it was sunny, rainy, haily, and snowy on Saturday alone), picked up the bike May 8th and then over the course of the next 7 weeks got 1013km of riding experience.

Then on June 25th I left Timmins, Ontario for St. John's, Newfoundland with two university friends. Over the past two weeks I put an additional 7230km on the bike. Was it too early to take such a long trip? Maybe, but we rode cautiously and no one had any incidents. The Cabot Trail was a blast and so was the Irish Loop in Newfoundland.

Here's my bike in Hartland, New Brunswick. A small town that seems to only exist because they have the longest covered bridge in the word. It was fun to ride through.

And here's a panorama I made by stitching five photos together. This was taken just east of Channel Port-aux-Basques in Newfoundland.

Click here for the full 1600x590 image.

Newfoundland is gorgeous and we met lots of interesting riders on the ferry to the island. One fellow on a KTM 990 Adventure who rode from Inuvik, North West Territories to Patagonia last year. The man sold his house and lives on his bike. Pretty awesome.

Mr. DNA fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 15, 2009

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

sigtrap posted:

If you're ever in Wenatchee and want to swap rides let me know - the Aprilia is a competitor to that bike. I really enjoyed my 5th gen but never have ridden a 6th gen. What sort of fuel economy are you expecting out of the thing? My 2000 got ~42 on 87 octane gas, is the 6th gen still tuned for regular? What did your BMW get?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sigtrap posted:

My god I am so happy.

That is the exact bike I want. Not sure I can handle it yet though.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Mr. DNA posted:

Sometime in November I decided to buy a motorcycle. After a few weeks of research I decided on a Suzuki Boulevard M50. I found a new 2008 for a great price and bought it. Then the waiting started. I live in northern Ontario and the good riding weather doesn't come until June. The dealer agreed to store the bike for free until I could go pick it up.

I took my riding course May 1st (during which it was sunny, rainy, haily, and snowy on Saturday alone), picked up the bike May 8th and then over the course of the next 7 weeks got 1013km of riding experience.

Then on June 25th I left Timmins, Ontario for St. John's, Newfoundland with two university friends. Over the past two weeks I put an additional 7230km on the bike. Was it too early to take such a long trip? Maybe, but we rode cautiously and no one had any incidents. The Cabot Trail was a blast and so was the Irish Loop in Newfoundland.

Here's my bike in Hartland, New Brunswick. A small town that seems to only exist because they have the longest covered bridge in the word. It was fun to ride through.

And here's a panorama I made by stitching five photos together. This was taken just east of Channel Port-aux-Basques in Newfoundland.

Click here for the full 1600x590 image.

Newfoundland is gorgeous and we met lots of interesting riders on the ferry to the island. One fellow on a KTM 990 Adventure who rode from Inuvik, North West Territories to Patagonia last year. The man sold his house and lives on his bike. Pretty awesome.

I am immensely jealous. I love the M50 and I love the East Coast. I want to do that ride so bad.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

sigtrap posted:

My god I am so happy.

I was just going "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN" as I was scrolling down. Awesome bike, awesome colours.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Like the bike, hate the colors :)

At least you finally realized that Honda makes the best bikes

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

aventari posted:

At least you finally realized that Honda makes the best bikes

Blasphemy. That bike is awesome, and those are the best colors.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

M4gic posted:

I just picked this little beauty up about a week ago. Sorry baby Jesus.

[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/3a12524724331f781d9941762435e0fbaa67c89d/IMG_1218 [50%].jpg[/timg]

[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/636f7be556eaa1d2fdeffce2657637ffbdac54da/IMG_1219 [50%].jpg[/timg]

[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/7ac993d348ca9504b493eb9f40c1f18388936dc2/IMG_1220 [50%].jpg[/timg]

Yamaha FZ6. Already put over 100 miles on it, mainly using it for commuting to work and riding around town.

I am looking at getting one of these next year. How do you like it so far?

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

elsanto posted:

I am looking at getting one of these next year. How do you like it so far?

I love it. It's very easy to control in traffic, has a very smooth clutch and is very comfortable to be riding in a more upright position than being tucked down like a supersport. The only annoying factors so far I've found are that it only starts in neutral and the battery is right below the gas tank. So if you had to jump it or replace it you gotta take the tank off first. Other than that it's great.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

M4gic posted:

I love it. It's very easy to control in traffic, has a very smooth clutch and is very comfortable to be riding in a more upright position than being tucked down like a supersport. The only annoying factors so far I've found are that it only starts in neutral and the battery is right below the gas tank. So if you had to jump it or replace it you gotta take the tank off first. Other than that it's great.

Weird place for a battery. Have you ridden it on highways at all?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

M4gic posted:

only starts in neutral

That's just the neutral safety switch. If you're trying to start it with the kickstand down, in gear, you'll have to have the clutch pulled all the way in.

I mean, unless Yamaha is particularly :downs: on this.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Simkin posted:

That's just the neutral safety switch. If you're trying to start it with the kickstand down, in gear, you'll have to have the clutch pulled all the way in.

My bike won't start with the sidestand down unless it's in neutral. It'll start in gear if the sidestand is up and the clutch is pulled in though.

dejanigma
Oct 23, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Bike $0, Battery $40, Carb cleaner $4, 12ga wire $0. End result? Nerobro has a 1980 GS450L to play with. ... it's an L, so I don't really want it.

The story behind this bike is long, and sad. And I fear the friend who gave it to me will severely hurt herself.

Whats wrong with the L? Sorry I don't know much about the different models

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

aventari posted:

What are you some kind of communist? :911:

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Maybe he hates the French?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Or Great Britain!

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

elsanto posted:

Weird place for a battery. Have you ridden it on highways at all?

Yeah I've ridden it on the highways, and with my height coupled with the way the windshield is angled, all the wind seems to hit right at my visor. Not a big deal cause I have a helmet on anyways. I like the mirrors on it also, cause I can see pretty good out both of em without my shoulders being in there too much.

Simkin posted:

Yeah I even took it back to the dealership cause one of the dealers wasn't quite sure what I was talking about. And he said it was kinda weird that Yamaha would do that on the bike. Cause no matter what position it's in (kickstand down/up, in gear w/clutch pulled in) the bike won't start unless it's in neutral.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M4gic posted:

Yeah I've ridden it on the highways, and with my height coupled with the way the windshield is angled, all the wind seems to hit right at my visor. Not a big deal cause I have a helmet on anyways. I like the mirrors on it also, cause I can see pretty good out both of em without my shoulders being in there too much.

Yeah I even took it back to the dealership cause one of the dealers wasn't quite sure what I was talking about. And he said it was kinda weird that Yamaha would do that on the bike. Cause no matter what position it's in (kickstand down/up, in gear w/clutch pulled in) the bike won't start unless it's in neutral.

Sounds like either the clutch safety or the sidestand safety switch is broken/disconnected.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

Z3n posted:

Sounds like either the clutch safety or the sidestand safety switch is broken/disconnected.

Yeah I'll have to look into that and see if there's a problem with it. I rode for a few miles on the highway today with it being very windy out and found out just how much the bike can get knocked around in the wind. I was tailing my friend who has a 650lbs cruiser and the FZ6 is about 450 with a full tank and man, I could barely keep it under control while his was doing just fine. First time I've ridden in really heavy winds so it was very scary for a bit.