Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nah
Mar 16, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just started watching Red Dawn. Why all the hate for Bud American Ale? (I don't drink, so don't ask, "Have you ever tasted it?")

Also, why the David Sedaris rip?

Pretty much every riff since its release, they've ripped on Bud American Ale. They're big into craft beer and Bud American is a watered-down over-marketed attempt to break into that demographic so they feel pretty strongly about it. Kevin Murphy had a great review for it on the RiffTrax blog:

http://blog.rifftrax.com/2008/11/11/tasting-notes-budweiser-american-ale/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plaque Conspiracy
May 9, 2005
"Chief??"

"McCloud?????"

Ahhh, pod people :) good times.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I finished Red Dawn and must say I was a little disappointed. The riffs were pretty good, but not great. There were several lulls in the riffing. Still, Joel McHale did a decent job.

The next Rifftrax Presents has been announced:

The Running Man featuring Aaron Yonda, Matt Sloane, and, for some strange reason, Chad Vader. I'm not familiar with Yonda or Sloane, but, since I have the DVD, I'll give it a shot.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

LT.CrownRoast posted:

I can't imagine The Room being watchable at all without the riffs. I thought it was certainly one of the better Rifftrax i've seen, I loved the disembaudio portions as well.

Probably watched The Room 3 times now and it still makes me laugh everytime.

"oh hi denny"
Oh, it's still hilarious. I loved The Room long before the RiffTrax version of it. What I really want to do is go see it in LA where poo poo like this happens:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/a-viewers-guide-to-the-room,25721/

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

suddenlyissoon posted:

Oh, it's still hilarious. I loved The Room long before the RiffTrax version of it. What I really want to do is go see it in LA where poo poo like this happens:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/a-viewers-guide-to-the-room,25721/

If YouTube hadn't made me take down my video of The Room screening from May 09 in West Hollywood, I'd show you.

Instead you will receive this Q&A from the same night -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UYENcLiTBk

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The Running Man is out now. Not gonna take the plunge myself - the movie is goofy for sure (I mean, Mick loving Fleetwood!) but the riffers are unknown to me. And Chad is pretty much a straight up gimmick.

Anyone ever heard of Blame Society?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Plavski posted:

The Running Man is out now. Not gonna take the plunge myself - the movie is goofy for sure (I mean, Mick loving Fleetwood!) but the riffers are unknown to me. And Chad is pretty much a straight up gimmick.

Anyone ever heard of Blame Society?

I have no idea who they are, but, since they are officially endorsed by Mike & company and I happened to have the DVD, I'll give it a shot.

I have yet to be disappointed by a Rifftrax Presents feature.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have no idea who they are, but, since they are officially endorsed by Mike & company and I happened to have the DVD, I'll give it a shot.

I was surprised by how good the Dirty Dancing and Ghost riffs were so I await your review.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I know these days it's a glorified entertainment magazine but Time has Rifftrax in its shortlist of stuff to watch for, thought that was kinda neat

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I figured $3 is $3 and picked up the Running Man.

Oh God, it's awful. A very very poor riff. The guys can't deliver their lines and it's just a non-stop series of puns. Literally 60% of the riffing is puns, Arnie puns being especially irritating. You're shocked when a non-pun comes up as it takes you completely by surprised, so lulled into pun-related boredom are you.

They also do really low-grade stuff like talking over a monologue and then, when the audience gets to hear the last line, applauding like it's a great delivery. Something that smacks of multiple watches but without taking timing into consideration.

There are at best, four or five good and funny lines in the whole thing. It's on a par with Ho-Riff-ic or Cinester Theatre, and they're loving terrible.

Don't buy this release guys. Instead, pretend Mike and the rest came to their senses and gave the RiffRaff Theatre guys their own shot at a Presents and pick up any of their riffs. You won't regret those, but you'll certainly regret picking up the Running Man.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Plavski posted:

Oh God, it's awful. A very very poor riff. The guys can't deliver their lines and it's just a non-stop series of puns. Literally 60% of the riffing is puns, Arnie puns being especially irritating. You're shocked when a non-pun comes up as it takes you completely by surprised, so lulled into pun-related boredom are you.

Wow, I couldn't even make it through the sample. That takes some talent since I imagine the sample is the funniest part.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 11, 2009

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Plavski posted:

They also do really low-grade stuff like talking over a monologue and then, when the audience gets to hear the last line, applauding like it's a great delivery. Something that smacks of multiple watches but without taking timing into consideration.

There are at best, four or five good and funny lines in the whole thing. It's on a par with Ho-Riff-ic or Cinester Theatre, and they're loving terrible.

Don't buy this release guys. Instead, pretend Mike and the rest came to their senses and gave the RiffRaff Theatre guys their own shot at a Presents and pick up any of their riffs. You won't regret those, but you'll certainly regret picking up the Running Man.

Well, you just saved me $3! The sample was pretty bad. It just goes to show what experience brings to the table with Mike & company.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

livingfruitvirus posted:

If YouTube hadn't made me take down my video of The Room screening from May 09 in West Hollywood, I'd show you.

Instead you will receive this Q&A from the same night -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UYENcLiTBk

http://flash.101-mhz.com/theroom/

I uploaded it myself. Here's nearly 10 minutes of screening footage.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just started watching Red Dawn. Why all the hate for Bud American Ale? (I don't drink, so don't ask, "Have you ever tasted it?")

They seem to make recurring jokes about certain things for no particular reason. They used to make a lot of Jorge Garcia jokes in the earlier riffs.

Mister Kingdom posted:

You'd better avoid House of Wax, then.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 15, 2009

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

raditts posted:

They seem to make recurring jokes about certain things for no particular reason. They used to make a lot of Jorge Garcia jokes in the earlier riffs.

A Jorge Garcia joke still pops up from time to time. Poor Hurley :smith:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

raditts posted:

Actually, that wasn't THAT bad.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

raditts posted:

Or pretty much anything by the Elliot guy that did that. I hadn't seen Dark Water before and it didn't take long for me to want him to shut up when people were talking. Especially towards the end where he does some "joke" about pulling out a newspaper and reading from it while characters are having discussions on the screen.

After listening to his stuff Running Man wasn't that bad. The constant stream of puns wasn't great, Chad Vader is stupid, and that guy with the nasally voice is annoying but the guy that did House of Wax and Dark Water sets the bar pretty low.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

chemosh6969 posted:

Or pretty much anything by the Elliot guy that did that. I hadn't seen Dark Water before and it didn't take long for me to want him to shut up when people were talking. Especially towards the end where he does some "joke" about pulling out a newspaper and reading from it while characters are having discussions on the screen.

After listening to his stuff Running Man wasn't that bad. The constant stream of puns wasn't great, Chad Vader is stupid, and that guy with the nasally voice is annoying but the guy that did House of Wax and Dark Water sets the bar pretty low.

I like Elliott and think he's done a pretty good job.

To each his own.

e: New short is out:

http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/back-school-joan-miller

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 15, 2009

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Leovinus posted:

When the public found out that he had shot the film on two cameras on the same trolley because he didn't know the difference between film and HD video, he began to write a book about how he had done it on purpose to compare and contrast them critically.

Wait, I don't get it. What happened here?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

McNerd posted:

Wait, I don't get it. What happened here?
He thought that 35mm was SD and HD was its own format that you had to record with a HD camera. So rather than do any actual research - where he would've figured out 35mm actually has much more definition than 1080p - he decided to film the entire movie with two cameras placed side by side.

Then, realising he'd made a stupid error he tried to cover it up by writing a book on the differences between the two methods and claiming he intended to it it that way in the first place.

Risky
May 18, 2003

http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/Comedy/RiffTrax.aspx

HOLY poo poo

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Well that's loving weird. And Lowtax is doing a segment.

But Plan 9? This'll be the third, possibly fourth time they've riffed it. Come on, guys!

RiSK
Dec 9, 2006

The Red Rocket Rifle

Well gently caress yes. A theater ~20 minutes from me is doing this. I'm in for sure.

Also, how about that bitchin' SA logo at the bottom of that page?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm trying to decide if I want to drive 50 miles for this since nobody around me is doing it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wow, the theater a half mile from my house is actually showing this. I'm surprised Lowtax hasn't made an announcement on the forums yet.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hm. 27 miles, easy route.

On the other hand, going to a movie alone.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
3 miles!

I'm loving pumped about this. I've already changed a business appointment so I'll be free for this.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

Hm. 27 miles, easy route.

On the other hand, going to a movie alone.
You'll meet other Rifftrax fans and who knows, they could be decent human beings.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Plavski posted:

Well that's loving weird. And Lowtax is doing a segment.

But Plan 9? This'll be the third, possibly fourth time they've riffed it. Come on, guys!
It never gets old in my opinion. :D

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I've actually never seen the Plan 9 riffs so this will be great for me.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

fenix down posted:

It never gets old in my opinion. :D
I'm just sore it isn't available in my local cinema.

drat you Mike, why do you hate Europe! Lowtax, I command you to ask him this very question when you next shack up to squeeze more money from us chumps.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I can't loving believe we're getting it here in Savannah. We never get anything like this.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

It's playing less than 6 miles from where I live. Too bad it's a bit pricey (it's almost $13 for a adult).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Mr. Blastaway posted:

It's playing less than 6 miles from where I live. Too bad it's a bit pricey (it's almost $13 for a adult).

True, but what the hell. I'm interested in the extras. I wonder what Lowtax will be doing?

HappyDooies
Sep 20, 2006
Sweeet
RiffTrax Live. I am there! And Jonathan Coulton is amazing

Maybe he will sing Code Monkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Wy7gRGgeA

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

HappyDooies posted:

Sweeet
RiffTrax Live. I am there! And Jonathan Coulton is amazing

Maybe he will sing Code Monkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Wy7gRGgeA
No wai, I bet he'll sing Still Alive lol. I cant wait for it! Teh cake is a lie rofl!

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
Most of the "sponsored" iRiffs are either meh or poo poo. Coulton/whatshername on Dirty Dancing was meh with nothing but tame jokes.

All of ICWXP's riffs, on the other hand, are amazing. Though the skits are hit or miss.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I hope the exclusive short is that one they included in the Shorts Collection. I was able to attend the train wreck that was the Dinosaur live riff, so I'm still missing that short.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

Most of the "sponsored" iRiffs are either meh or poo poo. Coulton/whatshername on Dirty Dancing was meh with nothing but tame jokes.

All of ICWXP's riffs, on the other hand, are amazing. Though the skits are hit or miss.
I liked the Dirty Dancing one. Maybe it was cos I hadn't seen the movie before and was happy to be finally watching a 'screen classic', but it worked for me. I picked up their Ghost one too on the strength of it and laughed my rear end off at that too.

What's ICWXP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Plavski posted:

What's ICWXP?

http://www.icwxp.com/