Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Country/Provider:

USA (Florida & Massachusetts)

Current contract status:

no contract (Trinidad & Tobago)

Budget (phone/plan):

$500 phone + $100/mo

Features I know I want:

FAST data service, BlackBerry, SMS, nationwide service. I want a next-gen BlackBerry. I need to purchase this on July 28th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Never mind, my phone worries are over!

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 12, 2009

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
[quote="Godzilla07"
K, buy up an old SERO plan. $30 for unlimited data and texting, but I can't remember the amount of minutes on the SERO plan. For the phone, a Centro could work. Yes, it's a smartphone but it's simple even though it's ancient in the mobile world. If you want to stay far, far away from smartphones, get a Rant. I've heard it's a good phone.
[/quote]

Looks like 500 minutes. Awesome plan and good advice. I don't mind smartphones so much as the expensive plans that accompany them. SERO's cheap enough that it's cool.

Am I purchasing the plan from someone else or am I signing up for a new one (assuming I'm able to find an employee email/number somewhere). And I'm just grabbing the Centro off ebay or something?

e: I found an email/employee number combo that works. Thank you, Sprint's VP of Strategy (well really, Howard forums).

e: It looks like the cheapest plan is now $59.99, so you probably mean to buy an old plan off of someone (like you said in the first place) and buy the phone separately for cheap.

K fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 6, 2009

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, you need to buy someone's old $30 SERO plan second-hand. Check out HowardForums' "take over my plan" section, folks list them there all the time. You'll probably be able to pick one up for 80-120 bucks.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Jam2 posted:

Country/Provider:

USA (Florida & Massachusetts)

Current contract status:

no contract (Trinidad & Tobago)

Budget (phone/plan):

$500 phone + $100/mo

Features I know I want:

FAST data service, BlackBerry, SMS, nationwide service. I want a next-gen BlackBerry. I need to purchase this on July 28th.

I'd strongly recommend the BlackBerry tour: it should be releasing for sale during this next week and will be available to US Sprint and Verizon customers.

Also recommended: Wait for just a few initial tech site reviews ( cnet.com / engadget.com / and hell even wsj.com and nyt tech reports) only to make sure it doesnt have some bitchass flaw that doesnt go well with your mobile use.

It should be a great device, especially for a BB lover. But the storm left me a little iffy on early love for what blackberry is pushing out the door.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Godzilla07 posted:

• Sign up for AT&T service and get an iPhone 3G S or an iPhone 3G if you can't get the 3G S because of price, but keep in mind that the 3G S will net you more money. Get the Nation 450 plan ($39.99).
  • Open the box and jailbreak it the iPhone 3G/3G S.
  • If you got the 3G, unlock it with ultrasn0w.
  • Put the iPhone back in the box and put it up for sale.
  • Call AT&T to get the iPhone data plan removed from your account, tell them that you sold your iPhone.
  • Use the funds from your iPhone sale to get a nice S60 phone.
Is there any way I can skip step 2 and just sell the poo poo for someone to jailbreak on their own?

vanbags fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 7, 2009

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Steinbeck posted:

But the storm left me a little iffy on early love for what blackberry is pushing out the door.

I attribute this to the rather experimental push into touchscreen interfaces and devices. RIM's engineering just didn't score an A+. The Bold is an all-around polished device.

:siren: The million dollar question :siren: Who's better, Sprint or Verizon?

How can I save the most money?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

If that's a million dollar question, you've got a pretty easy life.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
No kidding Jam2

Your secret answer lies in reading this thread for 90 seconds OR picking a carrier that rhymes w/ brint. or is it bluh-blizon. I can't remember. i'm sorry.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
# Country/Provider: USA / Cricket

# Current contract status: None

# Budget (phone/plan): Read up a bit in here and realize that if I want to avoid a contract, I will have to pay more for a phone. So, with no contract, I'm willing to spend upwards of $250 or so, though the cheaper the better of course.

# Features I know I want: I almost feel like I don't use my phone a ton but with a service like Cricket I don't count minutes or texts so in all actuality, I don't know. I like not having to track that stuff too diligently and worrying about a $300 phone bill or something. I want something with a QWERTY keyboard. For reference I am currently using a Samsuing Siren which has next to no features. I don't really wanna pay more than at most $80 a month for my plan but I think that might give me some room for internet usage or something? I don't know, even with reading up a bit I feel very ignorant on what I want and I really don't know how much of it I need... the last thing I want is to pay for features that I will never actually use. And I want to avoid a contract, oh so badly.

...a jailbroken iPhone looks like everything I would ever want in a mobile device.... :(

edit: To add I've never had internet on a phone or anything like that. I don't need something over the top... but I can't help but think I would like to be able to google or even use a GPS on my phone. Nothing crazy but I want some things to make me feel like upgrading my phone is even worth it... if that makes any sense. So...

- QWERTY Keyboard
- Basic internet/GPS
- Affordable
- No contract
- Not a dealbreaker but would love customizable applications and whatnot for someone who is not necessarily tech savvy but can manage simpler things with guides on the internet and whatnot.

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 7, 2009

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Here it goes:
  • Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

• Current contract status: Family plan, eligible for upgrades (I believe)

• Budget (phone/plan): < $75 , staying with current plan.

• Features I know I want:
    This is for my parents, so the phone needs to be simple to use, easy to read screen. Can't do much about the UI due to Verizon's interface, but a keypad big enough to read/use without glasses would be great. Good battery life would be a great thing as well (ie. go at least 5 days standby time).

My parents are looking to upgrade to new phones since I just switched to my own plan under AT&T for an iPhone. Their current phones are needing new batteries, and just looking at the price of two new batteries for the somewhat outdated phones would equal the value of a new phone.

I'm not looking for one specific phone, but basically recommendations for a handful of phones that are just easy to use. Both my parents are somewhat technologically inclined, but big keys and an easy to read screen are my main concerns.

What say you phone gods?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Country/Provider:

USA

Current contract status:

SERO month to month

Budget (phone/plan):

$150-$300

Features I know I want:

Want to replace slowly and very painfully dying dumbphone with a smartphone. Looking at a used HTC Touch Diamond or Pro. Are they compatible with the SERO plan? Is there something better for Sprint?

Edit: Incoming voice quality is a big deal for me as my phone's sound quality has started becoming shittier and shittier and makes long duration conversations frustrating.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Diamond and Pro are SERO's kingpins. Treo Pro is also acceptable if you like QWERTYbars but Palm is pretty questionable as a company.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

kalibar posted:

Diamond and Pro are SERO's kingpins. Treo Pro is also acceptable if you like QWERTYbars but Palm is pretty questionable as a company.

In your personal opinion, would you go for Diamond or Pro? I've demoed a few software keyboards and they are not as bad as I thought they were but I haven't really used a keyboard like on the Pro so... thoughts?

Bandit64
Oct 22, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Location/Provider : US, specifically NYC. Provider is Virgin.

Current Plan : Monthly prepaid.

Budget : The cheaper the better really, but $50-$60 a month is what I'm expecting. As for phone cost, $200 or under would be great.

Features I want : A few hundred minutes, a few hundred texts, tethering is drat near a requirement since traditional internet is a little annoying to get in this particular area. The tethering would be used for basic browsing, email, etc... not like a ton of torrents or anything.

The phone doesn't need to be anything fancy.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Dameius posted:

In your personal opinion, would you go for Diamond or Pro? I've demoed a few software keyboards and they are not as bad as I thought they were but I haven't really used a keyboard like on the Pro so... thoughts?

You have 30 days to trade if you don't like the one you pick. Diamond has no microSD card slot, that's something to consider as well.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Country/Provider:

USA (AT&T)

Current contract status:

AT&T, old AT&T Wireless contract

Budget (phone/plan):

$150 phone

Features I know I want:
Something comparable to the LG Rumor. I've got a Tmobile SDA right now, and would really like 3G and a QWERTY KB. I just bought an AT&T Tilt/HTC Kaiser, but I can't handle the lack of buttons on the front. I use my speed dial 90% of the time, and a touchscreen just doesn't jive with my need. Its now for sale, looking for something else.

NO iPhone. A BB isn't out of the question, but I need the phone to be slim enough to fit in a side pocket (the Tilt is the biggest phone that'll fit).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Country/Provider:

USA (AT&T)

Current contract status:

AT&T, old AT&T Wireless contract

Budget (phone/plan):

$150 phone

Features I know I want:
Something comparable to the LG Rumor. I've got a Tmobile SDA right now, and would really like 3G and a QWERTY KB. I just bought an AT&T Tilt/HTC Kaiser, but I can't handle the lack of buttons on the front. I use my speed dial 90% of the time, and a touchscreen just doesn't jive with my need. Its now for sale, looking for something else.

NO iPhone. A BB isn't out of the question, but I need the phone to be slim enough to fit in a side pocket (the Tilt is the biggest phone that'll fit).

If you want a BB, Sprint EPRP and a BB Tour is the best deal:
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplaySelPhoneDetail?phoneSKU=SP9630RIM&id9=vanity:tour

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Its too big to fit in my pocket (its .1" wider than the Tilt, which barely fits), and I'd like to stick with AT&T, as our entire company is on it, and I've got a plan with my fiance and mom.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
# Country/Provider: UK/none yet

# Current contract status: n/a

# Budget (phone/plan): as cheap as possible, but probably 20 pounds/month max

# Features I know I want: wouldn't mind facebook/twitter access, but i'm just looking for a basic phone to text/call on. The capability to make calls from other EU countries would be a definite bonus.

I'll be studying in the UK all next school year, and i'd like to hear opinions on a good pay-as-you-go plan. Here in the US, I probably send about 300 texts a month, so a plan that gives you a lot of free texts is a definite must. I'll be doing a decent amount of traveling to other European countries, so a phone that can call abroad would be nice. In terms of what phone I want, it doesn't really matter, as long as it can text. I'm on a budget, so i'm looking for a plan/phone that's as cheap as possible.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
Can I ask you guys a pretty broad question about getting a phone/contract? I used a family business plan through college and used the second-hand phones that my parents gave me after they upgraded. On T-Mobile, I had a T-Mobile Wing with a data plan that I loved, but that phone was heavily beaten-up before it made its way to me, but it works fine despite being held together with electrical tape (thank-you rubbery finish!). I still use the Wing for Wifi-browsing and working on spreadsheets/Powerpoints when I can’t bring a netbook. However, the slow processor and low memory have been pushing me to get something with better performance (if I can justify it).

Then, they got enamored with iPhones, and switched over to AT&T. I got a Samsung Propel that I used up until the AT&T contract ended last month. I don’t really care for it – the microphone and speaker don’t work well for me and the tiny keyboard is too small for my sausage fingers, but I can live with it.

So, I am now looking into buying a plan myself for the first time. I usually call 1-2 times per day for a few minutes, and make an average of one ~1hr call per week. I used to text ~20 times per day, but now do it only a few times per week.

I have been lusting after an Android phone, but I just can’t justify paying so much extra for the smartphone data plan. Having data would be nice if I will be using a smartphone and can get it for $10-20/month. Are the “unlimited web” plans that AT&T and T-mobile offer as add-ons for their voice plans truly that, or are they limited to data from their own web portals?

So, I think my options looks something like:
1. Use the battered T-mobile Wing with T-mobile and get a voice/data plan
2. Unlock the Wing and get a voice/data plan on another carrier
3. Use the Samsung Propel with AT&T with a voice only plan
4. Get a pre-paid phone
5. Get a new subsidized phone
Which looks like the best option? I guess I either want a full-fledged smartphone or a super-cheap, barebones dumbphone – nothing in between those two extremes has ever really appealed to me.
Oh yeah, I’m in the US (Hawaii).

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009
* Country/Provider:

USA/none yet (I'm in Oregon)

* Current contract status:

none

* Budget (phone/plan):

$300 (max) for the phone, and about $40-$50 for the monthly fee.

* Features I know I want:

I'm slightly turned off by the expense of the data plan on the iPhone 3GS, so I'm looking into something cheaper. All I really need is a good calendar, usable/customizable user interface, and possibly a full keyboard. A web browser is not required. Oh, and I don't want it to flip.
I can go with any provider, and I'd like to hear plan recommendations as well, 300-500 minutes a month is all I'd ever use.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm currently on an AT&T family plan with my parents and sister, but I'm eligible for a phone upgrade. I'm using a Cingular branded SE w810i and the only other phone I've ever used was an SE T637.

I currently have the $5/mo, 200 text plan. My sister has the $20/mo unlimited plan. My parents have no text plan. We have no data plan.

I've surmised from the thread that I will be buying an iPhone 3GS and keeping it or selling it on eBay. If we upgraded to unlimited text and I added a data plan for a non-iPhone, the data would only cost $10 I believe.

I've never used the internet on a phone and although last month was my highest text msg amount at 195, I could see myself with increasing data usage and really liking having the web on my phone.

kalibar said that an HTC Magic from Rogers/Vodafone (is that also the Google ION from the developer conference or T-Mobile's myTouch?) would be the next best choice behind an iPhone. Does anyone have any experience using both? Kalibar, you mentioned that not everyone would use an iPhone like you would, can you expand some on that please?

Are there a lot of Apps being created for Android? I'd imagine that developers are cranking out apps for the iPhone like it's a gold rush.

edit: Also, does the HTC Magic get the full benefits from AT&T's 3G network?

edit2: I just read some stuff about the HTC Hero, but it doesn't look like it's released yet. Any opinions on that? It looks like Engadget is already disappointed that the Magic isn't the Hero.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 13, 2009

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

You'd need the Rogers version of the phone. T-Mobile USA's and Vodafone's have the wrong 3G bands and won't work how you want them to on AT&T. Yes, it's same phone as the ION from the developer's conference, but the limited edition phone they were handing out there may not have had the right bands for ATT -- couldn't tell you.

vs. the iPhone, an HTC Magic will offer you better Gmail integration, the easy ability to use the $10/month data plan, some hacking options you don't get with Apple (the guys at xda-developers are constantly backporting cool new features to HTC phones), and a different OS that's theoretically awesome but currently has less application support than the iPhone OS.

I used Android for a few weeks and I like the actual OS better than the iPhone's OS thanks to the Gmail integration and the homescreen's flexibility. That said, I'm hopelessly addicted to some iPhone games right now (they're very easily best in show and arguably better than many DS games), Android still has no Skype client, and I think the iPhone's hardware is much nicer than the HTC Magic's (iPhone has a glass touchscreen vs. Magic's plastic touchscreen, iPhone has a 3.5mm headphone jack with great sound quality vs. Magic's lovely USB headphone jack with average SQ according to GSMarena, iPhone has GPU acceleration and alarmingly impressive graphics).

The other ludicrous iPhone dealbreaker is the monthly data premium. $10/month for an HTC Magic vs. $30/month for an iPhone makes it a pretty easy choice since you'll pay an extra 480 bucks for an iPhone over the life of the contract. Paying iPhone tax also encourages dickhead carriers to step in and charge premiums where they're not entitled to do so.

If you're one of those people that's cool with walking on the wild side, you can fraud your way around AT&T's iPhone bullshit and use a $10/month iPhone by putting your SIM card in a dumbphone, calling AT&T to drop "iPhone data" and to add $10 data, manually editing the iPhone's data server info, and putting your SIM back in the iPhone. You'll completely lose visual voicemail, AT&T will send your harassing text messages from time to time informing you you're on the wrong plan, and you may end up getting the iPhone data slapped back onto your account anyway... but it does work. It's just not advisable.

EDIT: The Hero is a much more promising looking phone than the Magic, yeah. It has a real headphone jack, a ton of out-of-the-box software enhancements (that will be backported to the Magic thanks to the guys at XDA), a better camera, and a physical teflon coating. Personally, I'm skipping both phones and holding out for the SE Rachael.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Cell phone service is just criminal in the US. I didn't even have to deal with it in the past and I hated it. Now that I'm actually looking for a new phone and picking a plan, I almost feel like just canceling it all together out of hatred.

Without even an official announcement for the Rachael yet, I'd imagine the phone is a ways away. I'd imagine that I can just continue on my family plan without signing a new 2 year agreement until I would want to buy a new phone. I don't know the specifics of the plan, but I know it says my parents and sister aren't eligible for a phone upgrade yet as they bought phones after I did. If I could wait, I could hold off for the Hero or Rachael, but only if I could still sell a 3GS for a lot of money. I would only buy one of these phones at full price if it would be supplemented by iPhone income.

I didn't even know the iPhone data plan was double until reading this thread today. How did anyone stand for that bullshit?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I didn't even know the iPhone data plan was double until reading this thread today. How did anyone stand for that bullshit?

It's not how anyone stood for it, it's that people stood in lines to buy a locked phone and pay extra for it.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Country/Provider

USA/T-mobile

Contract

none

Budget

100-150 for phone and I want prepaid

Features I want

Affordable texting with comparable /min costs. I really want a prepaid plan because I only use a cell phone rarely, and when I do it is only for a couple of minutes.

Please recommend me the best prepaid.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Country/Provider:

USA (Washington state)

Current contract status:

None

Budget (phone/plan):

$200 phone + $60/mo

Features I know I want:

I don't need anything to fancy. The only things is that its for my wife and she definetly was a navigation system on it that talks. I would rather its the phone that had it, rather than paying $10/mo for it monthly like AT&T. She saw the Xenon on wirefly that said its free with new contract, but on AT&T website its like $200? Don't really care about carrier or anything. She texts a lot so savings on that end would be nice.
Thanks

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

All Else Failed posted:

# Country/Provider: USA / Cricket

# Current contract status: None

# Budget (phone/plan): Read up a bit in here and realize that if I want to avoid a contract, I will have to pay more for a phone. So, with no contract, I'm willing to spend upwards of $250 or so, though the cheaper the better of course.

# Features I know I want: I almost feel like I don't use my phone a ton but with a service like Cricket I don't count minutes or texts so in all actuality, I don't know. I like not having to track that stuff too diligently and worrying about a $300 phone bill or something. I want something with a QWERTY keyboard. For reference I am currently using a Samsuing Siren which has next to no features. I don't really wanna pay more than at most $80 a month for my plan but I think that might give me some room for internet usage or something? I don't know, even with reading up a bit I feel very ignorant on what I want and I really don't know how much of it I need... the last thing I want is to pay for features that I will never actually use. And I want to avoid a contract, oh so badly.

...a jailbroken iPhone looks like everything I would ever want in a mobile device.... :(

edit: To add I've never had internet on a phone or anything like that. I don't need something over the top... but I can't help but think I would like to be able to google or even use a GPS on my phone. Nothing crazy but I want some things to make me feel like upgrading my phone is even worth it... if that makes any sense. So...

- QWERTY Keyboard
- Basic internet/GPS
- Affordable
- No contract
- Not a dealbreaker but would love customizable applications and whatnot for someone who is not necessarily tech savvy but can manage simpler things with guides on the internet and whatnot.

I've somewhat narrowed it down at this point... either looking to add a line to my girlfriend's plan and get an older enV with QWERTY and a $60 plan for unlimited text and 450 minutes as a cheaper method...

or

Getting an iPhone 3G or possibly 3Gs, unlocking it, and getting what looks like would be about a $75/mo plan for internet usage and unlimited talk and text. This would be obv. much more expensive.

Are either of these options very feasible or correct? I swear I have information overload from google and no one has replied to me in this thread yet. :(

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

All Else Failed posted:

I've somewhat narrowed it down at this point... either looking to add a line to my girlfriend's plan and get an older enV with QWERTY and a $60 plan for unlimited text and 450 minutes as a cheaper method...

or

Getting an iPhone 3G or possibly 3Gs, unlocking it, and getting what looks like would be about a $75/mo plan for internet usage and unlimited talk and text. This would be obv. much more expensive.

Are either of these options very feasible or correct? I swear I have information overload from google and no one has replied to me in this thread yet. :(

The iphone is a kickass handset, but you're not gonna be using it on Verizon, Cricket, or Sprint in the US, no matter how much you unlock it. Totally unsupported frequencies.

Your choices for that are using it unlocked on a dogshit slow on T-Mobile edge connection (the 3g is not the same frequency) Or signing on with AT&T.

AT&T....... they're not total poo poo. But they sure are a letdown network wise compared to Sprint and Verizon.

If networks more your thing--try a phone on Sprint (everyone here loves them and they deserve the love for the network cheapness and awesomeness)

If you really wanna give the iphone a shot--it's great (i've used one for 2+ years) but keep an eye on that 30 day restocking fee. Cause you may end up paying it depending how flaccid at&t is in your area (Mine it's not so bad, but when i travel around--that poo poo can be ugly bad.)

Hope this helps.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Steinbeck posted:

The iphone is a kickass handset, but you're not gonna be using it on Verizon, Cricket, or Sprint in the US, no matter how much you unlock it. Totally unsupported frequencies.

Your choices for that are using it unlocked on a dogshit slow on T-Mobile edge connection (the 3g is not the same frequency) Or signing on with AT&T.

AT&T....... they're not total poo poo. But they sure are a letdown network wise compared to Sprint and Verizon.

If networks more your thing--try a phone on Sprint (everyone here loves them and they deserve the love for the network cheapness and awesomeness)

If you really wanna give the iphone a shot--it's great (i've used one for 2+ years) but keep an eye on that 30 day restocking fee. Cause you may end up paying it depending how flaccid at&t is in your area (Mine it's not so bad, but when i travel around--that poo poo can be ugly bad.)

Hope this helps.

Ah crap guess I should've clarified. I do understand that T-Mo and AT&T are the only GSM carriers, therefore the only networks that support the iPhone. I also understand that with T-Mo the iPhone downgrades to EDGE. I just wasn't sure how much of a dealbreaker that is.

From what I've heard about AT&T, I shouldn't join them if I'm concerned about money. I am. :(

So, Sprint you say is cheap and a good network? Do they fit my requirements from my quoted post above pretty well? Like I said I understand that without signing a contract I'll pay out the rear end for a phone but that's totally fine. I think I am reluctantly going to forego the iPhone because of the huge price tag, monthly bills, and reduced performance if I use T-Mo to save some money.

It seems like I could probably find a cheap unlocked enV (the 1st edition) or something for the QWERTY keyboard and hop on my girlfriend's plan without a contract for around 60 bucks unlimited text and 450/min outside network. That looks to be the direction I'm headed in to go the cheap route... can anyone make any corrections or improvements on that?

edit: Consequently, since I can't seem to find the enV unlocked on eBay... where's a good place online to buy unlocked phones? Is the enV even unlockable? I just want a nice QWERTY keyboard for cheap!

EDIT2: Am I an idiot? Can only GSM phones be unlocked which would mean AT&T and T-Mo only? So I can use any other phone with any other network because it's CDMA? God, I think the Euro dude is right. I'm a pretty smart guy and trying to figure out how to NOT get hosed by US cellphone purchasing is destroying my brain.

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 15, 2009

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

All Else Failed posted:

Ah crap guess I should've clarified. I do understand that T-Mo and AT&T are the only GSM carriers, therefore the only networks that support the iPhone. I also understand that with T-Mo the iPhone downgrades to EDGE. I just wasn't sure how much of a dealbreaker that is.

From what I've heard about AT&T, I shouldn't join them if I'm concerned about money. I am. :(

So, Sprint you say is cheap and a good network? Do they fit my requirements from my quoted post above pretty well? Like I said I understand that without signing a contract I'll pay out the rear end for a phone but that's totally fine. I think I am reluctantly going to forego the iPhone because of the huge price tag, monthly bills, and reduced performance if I use T-Mo to save some money.

It seems like I could probably find a cheap unlocked enV (the 1st edition) or something for the QWERTY keyboard and hop on my girlfriend's plan without a contract for around 60 bucks unlimited text and 450/min outside network. That looks to be the direction I'm headed in to go the cheap route... can anyone make any corrections or improvements on that?

edit: Consequently, since I can't seem to find the enV unlocked on eBay... where's a good place online to buy unlocked phones? Is the enV even unlockable? I just want a nice QWERTY keyboard for cheap!

EDIT2: Am I an idiot? Can only GSM phones be unlocked which would mean AT&T and T-Mo only? So I can use any other phone with any other network because it's CDMA? God, I think the Euro dude is right. I'm a pretty smart guy and trying to figure out how to NOT get hosed by US cellphone purchasing is destroying my brain.

Right now, for a budget conscious person who also wants a phone that isn't dogshit, I would tell you to wait a bit and get a Blackberry Tour with a Sprint EPRP plan for $60/month, but a contract would be required. Don't bother with an enV, you might as well buy a lovely free phone and save the money. It's a locked-down dumbphone with a keyboard. The EPRP plan is 500 minutes, unlimited text and data. Without a contract, you're going to pay more for a plan.

Even with a contract, you get a 30-day get out of jail free card with any carrier, so you can always bail if you hate the phone or coverage is marginal where you usually are.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
# Country/Provider: Canada/Fido

# Current Contract Status: on a 2 year contract with my CityFido (classic) plan

# Budget: Sub-$200 if possible for a new phone, possibly unlocked GSM

# Features I want: easy to sync with my apple, LOUD ringer (my moto v9 is puny ring, I can never hear it when it's in my pants pocket), STRONG vibrate (same wussiness, never feel it ring). Easy texting. slim enough to carry in my pants pocket. Preferably a flip phone. MicroUSB charging.

I'd like to get a replacement for my moto v9 razr2 because it's starting to wear out. My main complaint with it is it isn't supported in the apple iSync (although I haven't checked again recently), the battery life kind of sucks and the ringer/vibrate are totally useless when I have it in my pants.

I do like how it has the microUSB for charging/sync.

So basically what's the hot flip phone to get these days?

Thanks!

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

900ftjesus posted:

Right now, for a budget conscious person who also wants a phone that isn't dogshit, I would tell you to wait a bit and get a Blackberry Tour with a Sprint EPRP plan for $60/month, but a contract would be required. Don't bother with an enV, you might as well buy a lovely free phone and save the money. It's a locked-down dumbphone with a keyboard. The EPRP plan is 500 minutes, unlimited text and data. Without a contract, you're going to pay more for a plan.

Even with a contract, you get a 30-day get out of jail free card with any carrier, so you can always bail if you hate the phone or coverage is marginal where you usually are.

Wait, you have to pay more for plans if you're not locked in a contract? What's all this talk in the stickied thread about contracts doing nothing but reducing the price of a phone? Like I said, I could add a line on my girlfriend's Verizon plan and get a 450 minute/unlimited text/unlimited in-network calls for $60/mo. Plus I believe her mom has an extra piece of poo poo phone till I decide what kind of phone to get/figure out which phones I can get unlocked and where. The difference being that if I decide in 6 months/a year to get a better phone or I don't care for sprint after a few months I can take my ball and go home. I hate contracts, sincerely. Hate them. My job is to deal with people locked in contracts who are being screwed for it. I signed a contract ONCE and it was the worst endeavor of my life. I don't want a contract, truly.

Could you explain why the Blackberry Tour is worth waiting for? I can't really wait too long to get a new phone, I need one ASAP as my other one will be cancelled as of tomorrow.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that even if I wanted a contract, because I'm looking at the Tour and it seems like it'd be really sweet (though more friends have Verizon so I think I'd go with the similar plan on their network unless there is a really compelling reason why I should go with Sprint) for $60/mo.... there's no way in hell I could pass the credit check for a cell phone. I have never even pulled my credit report because I know it sucks. I can't even get approved for a Wal-Mart card, haha. Again, I hate contracts.

edit2: Again, I am a loving idiot. I see where you said the Sprint plan was also unlimited data... that's loving killer. That's more than killer, that's exciting and now I want to do exactly what you're saying. Still, though, I doubt I can sign a contract with Sprint even if I could. I can't get that plan without a contract? And I'm assuming the phone is more like $350 instead of $200? UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

edit3: Looking at plans on the Sprint site. I don't see an EPRP plan compatible with the Tour, the cheapest one is unlimited text, 450 minutes with free nights/weekends, unlimited data for $70/mo. Am I overlooking something?

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 15, 2009

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Man, don't have an internet spaz attack. The cellphone situation is bad, but not that bad.

900 foot is exactly right: the BB Tour is very good choice. The Palm Pre is not a bad choice either (though I personally consider it pretty gay, I believe I'm in the minority). These two phones will allow you to best-exploit the perks of Sprint's $60/month EPRP plan, and you can further reap the benefits of the arrangement by getting your girlfriend off of Verizon and merging her onto your plan.

If you've got extra friends you trust with money and the personal wherewithal to orchestrate some wireless savings, you can add more lines (up to 5) to an EPRP plan and drag everyone's bill as low as $31/month per person for some minutes, 7PM nights, unlimited text, and unlimited 3G data.

You need to re-think your concept of contracts. They suck, absolutely, but they're kinda required to do wireless "properly" right now. Just be sure you're getting a phone that's discounted off its contract-free (or fair market) price by more than $175. That way, you can pay the ETF whenever you want (and it declines monthly!) and you're (1) out of contract and (2) financially equal to or ahead of where you were when you started.

If you get a trash phone like the LG enV free with contract that has minimal resale value and then have to eat a $175 termination fee to leave your carrier a month later, yeah, you did it wrong. Employ some common sense here: don't sign a contract for a phone that's selling on eBay for less than the cell service's ETF.

The presiding logic right now is to corral as many people as you trust with money and to roll a family plan on either Sprint or AT&T. You'll pay a little more on AT&T (a lot more if you use an iPhone the "legit" way, which most people do), but you'll have a larger equipment selection. Then again, for most people a BlackBerry Tour or Palm Pre is going to be a pretty good runner-up to the iPhone, so Sprint is probably where you should be.

Remember - combine and save.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

kalibar posted:

Man, don't have an internet spaz attack. The cellphone situation is bad, but not that bad.

900 foot is exactly right: the BB Tour is very good choice. The Palm Pre is not a bad choice either (though I personally consider it pretty gay, I believe I'm in the minority). These two phones will allow you to best-exploit the perks of Sprint's $60/month EPRP plan, and you can further reap the benefits of the arrangement by getting your girlfriend off of Verizon and merging her onto your plan.

If you've got extra friends you trust with money and the personal wherewithal to orchestrate some wireless savings, you can add more lines (up to 5) to an EPRP plan and drag everyone's bill as low as $31/month per person for some minutes, 7PM nights, unlimited text, and unlimited 3G data.

You need to re-think your concept of contracts. They suck, absolutely, but they're kinda required to do wireless "properly" right now. Just be sure you're getting a phone that's discounted off its contract-free (or fair market) price by more than $175. That way, you can pay the ETF whenever you want (and it declines monthly!) and you're (1) out of contract and (2) financially equal to or ahead of where you were when you started.

If you get a trash phone like the LG enV free with contract that has minimal resale value and then have to eat a $175 termination fee to leave your carrier a month later, yeah, you did it wrong. Employ some common sense here: don't sign a contract for a phone that's selling on eBay for less than the cell service's ETF.

The presiding logic right now is to corral as many people as you trust with money and to roll a family plan on either Sprint or AT&T. You'll pay a little more on AT&T (a lot more if you use an iPhone the "legit" way, which most people do), but you'll have a larger equipment selection. Then again, for most people a BlackBerry Tour or Palm Pre is going to be a pretty good runner-up to the iPhone, so Sprint is probably where you should be.

Remember - combine and save.

That does sound excellent though I don't think I have the people available to do so and my girlfriend is in a contract with Verizon and has no gripes with them. She has agreed to sign the contract for me so I really think I'm going to pull the trigger on this in a few days. The phone is $200 off + $100 mail-in rebate so it comes to $200 bucks.

Like I was saying though, I don't see any mention of an EPRP plan... is this doing what you're talking about or can I somehow get such a plan just for myself? Like I said the best plan is 450 minutes, nights and weekends, unlimited data, unlimited text but that's $70, not $60. Is that I'll have to pay? Even with that I'd be willing because it's a killer deal for a phone and plan and I love the 7pm nights. I can get over the contract if it's this good -- you're right. I'd just love to save the $10/mo you guys are talking about if I can with a solo plan.

Lord_Xar
Feb 1, 2006
Oh... I'm evil to the core!
# Country/Provider:

Pennsylvania and New England states (Mass, VT, NH, and Maine)

# Current contract status:

I am with Verizon, but my contract is up and my phone just broke

# Budget (phone/plan):

I can spend up to 60 or 70 bucks a month for the plan and probably 250 for the phone itself. I don't mind signing a 2yr contract

# Features I know I want:

This is the hard part because as of now I'd like to get a phone that is pretty rugged. I work in the field (hydrogeology stuff) so i need to have something that will have a decent gps (let me store exact pinpoints like a pull off on a road or a stream a decent ways from a road) and the ability to do internet stuff (not all that important, but would be nice). Also like the normal stuff like SMS and ability to put dumb games on it (hour and a half train ride everyday).

Something else that I'd like to have, but finding pretty much impossible is to be able to use it in the US, but also able to use it abroad in New Zealand or other pacific areas or even Europe. I'm only a student right now so this isn't too pertinent.

I was looking at the palm pre, but it doesn't have the ability to gsm or an expandable memory, although the gps and internet stuff is pretty appealing. The only thing that is holding me back is that I'd probably just get it all scratched etc etc in the field.

Thanks for the help!

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lord_Xar posted:

# Country/Provider:

Pennsylvania and New England states (Mass, VT, NH, and Maine)

# Current contract status:

I am with Verizon, but my contract is up and my phone just broke

# Budget (phone/plan):

I can spend up to 60 or 70 bucks a month for the plan and probably 250 for the phone itself. I don't mind signing a 2yr contract

# Features I know I want:

This is the hard part because as of now I'd like to get a phone that is pretty rugged. I work in the field (hydrogeology stuff) so i need to have something that will have a decent gps (let me store exact pinpoints like a pull off on a road or a stream a decent ways from a road) and the ability to do internet stuff (not all that important, but would be nice). Also like the normal stuff like SMS and ability to put dumb games on it (hour and a half train ride everyday).

Something else that I'd like to have, but finding pretty much impossible is to be able to use it in the US, but also able to use it abroad in New Zealand or other pacific areas or even Europe. I'm only a student right now so this isn't too pertinent.

I was looking at the palm pre, but it doesn't have the ability to gsm or an expandable memory, although the gps and internet stuff is pretty appealing. The only thing that is holding me back is that I'd probably just get it all scratched etc etc in the field.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds to me like you're looking for the same thing I am, roughly. If you look at my dillemma for the past couple pages maybe you'll be satisfied with what I'm looking at. Just waiting to find out from these most-helpful-of-goons if my plan would have to be $70/mo or if I can get it solo for $60/mo then I am probably picking it up this weekend.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

All Else Failed posted:

Sounds to me like you're looking for the same thing I am, roughly. If you look at my dillemma for the past couple pages maybe you'll be satisfied with what I'm looking at. Just waiting to find out from these most-helpful-of-goons if my plan would have to be $70/mo or if I can get it solo for $60/mo then I am probably picking it up this weekend.

You're considering two $60/month plans, one on Verzion, tied with AT&T for the most expensive service but with the absolute worst, most crippled phones of any carrier. They won't activate anything without a Verizon logo on it either, so you're really stuck with dogshit. You'll pay the same on Sprint, get comparable coverage (queue a few people jumping to say either one sucks in their city) but get a nice new smartphone that will let you do a shitton more than a dumbphone. You will have to wait a bit for the Pre (no websales yet at all on any plan and EPRP is web-only) or Tour (not out yet) on the EPRP plan.

The US market is hosed, but there are ways to get a decent deal for what you want if you ignore everything any of them say on TV or tell you in a store.

EDIT: or go with an AT&T family plan and get some unlocked Nokias or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

900ftjesus posted:

You're considering two $60/month plans, one on Verzion, tied with AT&T for the most expensive service but with the absolute worst, most crippled phones of any carrier. They won't activate anything without a Verizon logo on it either, so you're really stuck with dogshit. You'll pay the same on Sprint, get comparable coverage (queue a few people jumping to say either one sucks in their city) but get a nice new smartphone that will let you do a shitton more than a dumbphone. You will have to wait a bit for the Pre (no websales yet at all on any plan and EPRP is web-only) or Tour (not out yet) on the EPRP plan.

The US market is hosed, but there are ways to get a decent deal for what you want if you ignore everything any of them say on TV or tell you in a store.

EDIT: or go with an AT&T family plan and get some unlocked Nokias or something.

If you scroll up to my edit I told you I overlooked where the Sprint plan actually covers unlimited data too, which is sexy as gently caress. I decided on getting the Tour on Sprint... I just wanted to know what's up with this EPRP plan cause there was no mentioned of it on the site. Like I said my phone expires tomorrow so I'd like to order the Tour this weekend, there's a plan comparable to the EPRP (450 minutes instead of 500 + everything else) for $70/mo. Plus I get a $100 rebate on the phone for choosing that plan which brings the price tag down to $200 for the Tour.

How long would I likely have to wait to pay $10/mo less? I don't know if it's worth the wait at this point because I need a phone ASAP.