Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like the MP3, it's like a new Honda Gyro :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't see the point of the Spyder. They've got all the downsides of a car and a bike, with none of the upsides, and personally, after riding one I thought that if you've got a disability that stops you riding a bike, a Spyder won't be any better. Plus there's noticable vibrations, it's fairly plasticy, you can't grip the "tank" with your knees, they don't sound that good, aren't that fast and looks like it'd be a pain to service youyself.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I don't see the point of the Spyder. They've got all the downsides of a car and a bike, with none of the upsides, and personally, after riding one I thought that if you've got a disability that stops you riding a bike, a Spyder won't be any better. Plus there's noticable vibrations, it's fairly plasticy, you can't grip the "tank" with your knees, they don't sound that good, aren't that fast and looks like it'd be a pain to service youyself.

Not to mention they are NOT fun to ride. I'd rather have a trike if I were disabled and still wanted to ride.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
My family owns a MP3 400 that keeps pace with my dads Breva 750. For a scooter that pretty large, it's surprisingly nimble and feels stable at all times. Being able to lock the front when you're coming to a stop is also pretty drat cool. The one we have may have an issue when locking the front though, because you can do it if you have the bike tipped to one side. Makes it kind of scary if you lock it coming to a stop and it's not vertical.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's made by Canadians, who are instinctive snowmobilers. That's about the only logic I can attach to the design.

Why they're so popular in Florida, I have no idea.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

MrKatharsis posted:

It's made by Canadians, who are instinctive snowmobilers. That's about the only logic I can attach to the design.

Why they're so popular in Florida, I have no idea.

snowbirds obv

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrKatharsis posted:

I think everyone who talks about the Spyder makes this deduction. Lord knows I have.

See, now what Bombardier has to release is the Embrio. And then maybe a five-wheeled car.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Being able to lock the front when you're coming to a stop is also pretty drat cool. The one we have may have an issue when locking the front though, because you can do it if you have the bike tipped to one side. Makes it kind of scary if you lock it coming to a stop and it's not vertical.

Hahaha I keep trying to picture a dude on an MP3 locking the front while leaned coming up to a light and it's gotta be the funniest looking thing ever.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
protip: before replacing forks with ones from a newer model, make sure that the manufacturer didn't change the wheel specs somewhere along the way or you'll end up buying all of those components too. Probably piecemeal at that.

:argh: yamaha :argh:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
What is up with gas stations in this town, first two I went to tonight had no premium :argh:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

lancemantis posted:

What is up with gas stations in this town, first two I went to tonight had no premium :argh:

Everyone wants to go faster.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Went and got my M endorsement today. Alabama is awesome since the only thing you need to do to jump on a turbo Hyabusa with no experience is be 16 years old and answer 18 out of 25 questions correctly. No driving test, no learner's permit period, no size restrictions. :cool:

The kid in front of me had his motorcycle license but failed his written and practical driving test. He can ride a motorcycle, but he can't drive a car in Alabama.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

fromoutofnowhere posted:

The one we have may have an issue when locking the front though, because you can do it if you have the bike tipped to one side. Makes it kind of scary if you lock it coming to a stop and it's not vertical.

My wife just got the 500. The front wheel locking feature saved her rear end at least once while she was getting used to the weight of the scooter. It started tipping, she locked the front wheels and prevented an expensive drop. Then she got her balance back, unlocked and got vertical again.
Our MP3's display and meters are all metric, and with the 500cc CVT, it's really easy to 65-70 mph on city streets without realizing it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

frozenphil posted:

Went and got my M endorsement today. Alabama is awesome since the only thing you need to do to jump on a turbo Hyabusa with no experience is be 16 years old and answer 18 out of 25 questions correctly. No driving test, no learner's permit period, no size restrictions. :cool:

The kid in front of me had his motorcycle license but failed his written and practical driving test. He can ride a motorcycle, but he can't drive a car in Alabama.

Remind me never to ride in Alabama.

elsanto posted:

My wife just got the 500. The front wheel locking feature saved her rear end at least once while she was getting used to the weight of the scooter. It started tipping, she locked the front wheels and prevented an expensive drop. Then she got her balance back, unlocked and got vertical again.
Our MP3's display and meters are all metric, and with the 500cc CVT, it's really easy to 65-70 mph on city streets without realizing it.

On the way home every day, I pass by a guy headed the other way on an MP3. It looks pretty cool. He keeps up with 50 mph traffic just fine. We always wave at each other too. gently caress class wars. :colbert:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Remind me never to ride in Alabama.

Every driver's license before 1990 was also a motorcycle license in Alabama; no motorcycle specific testing was required. Anyone currently 35 or older in Alabama who rides a bike is pretty much guaranteed to have absolutely no formal or informal motorcycle training. :cool:

I'm actually shocked we even have a helmet law in this state. I'm sure the RUBs will try to get it repealed soon as you see more old guys on cruisers riding around than you do pretty much any other brand of vehicle. The Indian head in full headdress on the back of a leather vest is their gear du jour.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Dubs posted:

There's a GS850 for sale near me and I'm having trouble finding info on the net and most threads on the GSR seem to go unanswered.
Is there anything in particular wrong with these bikes? Are parts still common? Do they share parts with other GS, and if yes which?
It listed as running, but its not pretty so it will need a restore. It seems to have more in common with the 10/1100 bikes instead of the 750 but i could be wrong?

Took a 9hr Drive yesterday to pick this thing up. Was expecting the absolute worst from the dark/blurry ebay pictures, but it doesn't look to bad so far.

Current plan is to get the swing arm welded for the hardtail conversion, find a small tank to match the cafe bars i have and contact the chopper guy in town to put the 3meter front forks on.

Question though, As i live in the land of year round riding. How should i store the tank for a few months? Or does a few months not matter after 30 years? I cant see much in the way of rust in the tank at first look.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Dubs posted:

hardtail conversion ... 3meter front forks

:wtc:

Do you plan on riding it all year long as a hard tailed bobber with ridiculously long front forks? Isn't that setup mainly for people that ride to the coffee shop on sunny weekend days?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dubs posted:

Question though, As i live in the land of year round riding. How should i store the tank for a few months? Or does a few months not matter after 30 years? I cant see much in the way of rust in the tank at first look.

Aren't you going to replace the tank anyway? After 30 years I don't think the next few months will make much difference unless you set it out in the damp with the cap off. BTW, I think anything you do to an old beater like this is better than it rotting away in a field somewhere or being pulled apart for parts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Dubs posted:

If you have fuel in the tank, pour in some Sta-Bil. If not, it can't hurt to lightly coat the inside with a film of oil.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Dubs posted:

Current plan is to get the swing arm welded for the hardtail conversion, find a small tank to match the cafe bars i have and contact the chopper guy in town to put the 3meter front forks on.

that's loving retarded

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I found out what its like to ride at 75mph in hail today. A few things:

1. A mesh jacket does nothing at all to stop hail, and you will instantly regret riding a naked bike and purchasing a mesh jacket.
2. You know when a car flicks a rock and it hits you in the neck? Its like thousands of those every second everywhere.
3. Your face will look like this inside your helmet > :byodood:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

:derp: :byodood: :derp:

I think that's about when I'd hide under an overpass.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

aventari posted:

that's loving retarded

They called the wright crazy!

I was kidding

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ That's kind of what I was hoping.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
I'm heading on a 10 day tour from NJ to Atlanta, up to Johnson City, TN for the BMW MOA rally, back to Atlanta, and then back to NJ. If anyone is in those areas and wants to head out for a ride in that timeframe, feel free to PM me for contact info.

If you happen to see me, come say hi. I'll be on my '89 Katana.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

laymil posted:

I'm heading on a 10 day tour from NJ to Atlanta, up to Johnson City, TN for the BMW MOA rally, back to Atlanta, and then back to NJ. If anyone is in those areas and wants to head out for a ride in that timeframe, feel free to PM me for contact info.

Did any of that route you towards the Cincinnati area?

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

dietcokefiend posted:

Did any of that route you towards the Cincinnati area?

Looks like the closest we'll get is about 6 hours or so away.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

laymil posted:

Nice job on the streetfighter, seriously.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That's one good looking can-o-tuna. I didn't think anything could be done to save the abortion that was the GSXF's :-)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I would like to give a special "gently caress you" to online retailers who just hold your poo poo for a few days before shipping it off using the same shipping as their "expedited service" instead of shipping it using a cheaper method that takes longer. There is absolutely zero reason for this bullshit except to scam you to pay more for shipping. I despise companies who do this and I don't spend money at their business again when they do.

I probably won't have my gear in time to go get a bike this weekend because of this bullshit. :mad: Waiting a full week is going to be rough.

This post brought to you by motorcyclecloseouts.com. I'll be more than happy to retract this if my poo poo gets here before the weekend, however.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Heh I thought you were going to talk about Ron Ayers that has to wait 5 days before shipping anything out.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I hate waiting around for stuff, I normally just end up buying it at local shops :shobon:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Managed to snag myself dual 4 piston calipers for my sporty. Thank god for idiots that love chrome. $35 dollars. Now for the SS brake lines and we're set.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

dietcokefiend posted:

Heh I thought you were going to talk about Ron Ayers that has to wait 5 days before shipping anything out.

I wanted to grab a few extra crush washers for my oil drain plug, just to have around. ninja250.org listed the Ron Ayers part number, so I'm like "sure, can't be too expensive." $.99 for three crush washers, with something like $10 for the cheapest s/h, which was going to take like 2 weeks. :psyduck:

gently caress it, I'll check out Home Depot next time I'm there, thanks.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

I wanted to grab a few extra crush washers for my oil drain plug, just to have around. ninja250.org listed the Ron Ayers part number, so I'm like "sure, can't be too expensive." $.99 for three crush washers, with something like $10 for the cheapest s/h, which was going to take like 2 weeks. :psyduck:

gently caress it, I'll check out Home Depot next time I'm there, thanks.

Yea I ran into the EXACT situation for crush washers on my SV. Couldnt find anyone else selling them, and I wanted to like change my oil you know... soon. Drove to the nearest dealer on my bike that is like 20 miles away. Less in gas than shipping would have been :v:

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Check auto parts stores for crush washers too. They'll be much cheaper than the dealer.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Is a crush washer a crush washer is a crush washer is a...etc, or do motorcycles just have weird sizes not commonly found at hardware stores?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Methusulah posted:

Is a crush washer a crush washer is a crush washer is a...etc, or do motorcycles just have weird sizes not commonly found at hardware stores?

Heh yea well in this case a crush washer isnt just any other type of crush washer. One on the left is a normal aluminum washer for my kawasaki, one on the right is the special Sv650 one. Requires less torque to crush and has more spring action.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Am I going straight to hell for never having replaced a single crush washer on any vehicle when doing an oil change ... ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Simkin posted:

Am I going straight to hell for never having replaced a single crush washer on any vehicle when doing an oil change ... ever?

Haha I've never replaced them either, on my cars or bikes. I may have to finally do it for the first time on the Yamaha though because its creating an epic oil spill in my shed.