Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Country/Provider: USA

Current contract status: I'm on my parents' family plan. 400 minutes or some absurd amount that I never come close to going over. Unlimited texts, which is crucial because I text a lot.

Budget (phone/plan): I need it to be compatible with T-Mobile and not over $100, although if its a little over $100 and well worth it, I'm open ears.

Features I know I want: First of all, I want a nice big screen. As big as possible. I'd also like it to be easy to text with and go on AIM. If it wasn't one off those weak rear end AIM programs they put on every cell I've owned and more of a full version, that'd be cool too. I'd also like to to b able to hook up to my PC via USB so that I can transfer MP3 files back and forth to listen to on my phone and use as my ring tones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

All Else Failed posted:

If you scroll up to my edit I told you I overlooked where the Sprint plan actually covers unlimited data too, which is sexy as gently caress. I decided on getting the Tour on Sprint... I just wanted to know what's up with this EPRP plan cause there was no mentioned of it on the site. Like I said my phone expires tomorrow so I'd like to order the Tour this weekend, there's a plan comparable to the EPRP (450 minutes instead of 500 + everything else) for $70/mo. Plus I get a $100 rebate on the phone for choosing that plan which brings the price tag down to $200 for the Tour.

How long would I likely have to wait to pay $10/mo less? I don't know if it's worth the wait at this point because I need a phone ASAP.

EPRP is a "private" deal, check the Sprint thread for details or Google 'EPRP Russ McGuire' for info to get the deal (it's stupid easy). It only works for new lines, so if you sign up for a regular plan, you'll be on a regular plan. The Tour supposedly comes out on the 20th, but I did not get that from an official source.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

900ftjesus posted:

EPRP is a "private" deal, check the Sprint thread for details or Google 'EPRP Russ McGuire' for info to get the deal (it's stupid easy). It only works for new lines, so if you sign up for a regular plan, you'll be on a regular plan. The Tour supposedly comes out on the 20th, but I did not get that from an official source.

Well, poo poo, that is worth the wait. I hope you're right about the 20th!

Thanks for all of your help. My headache is finally gone and now I'm just loving excited. I don't know what I'd do when purchasing expensive electronics if it wasn't for the forums. :love:

Lord_Xar
Feb 1, 2006
Oh... I'm evil to the core!

All Else Failed posted:

Sounds to me like you're looking for the same thing I am, roughly. If you look at my dillemma for the past couple pages maybe you'll be satisfied with what I'm looking at. Just waiting to find out from these most-helpful-of-goons if my plan would have to be $70/mo or if I can get it solo for $60/mo then I am probably picking it up this weekend.

Thanks, that was an eye opener. I going to wait and see how people react to the Tour and then i'll decide. Anyone else have any imput? Are there viable solutions to cases for most phones that would allow me to bring it into the field and not ahve it destroyed in a day?

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Lord_Xar posted:

Thanks, that was an eye opener. I going to wait and see how people react to the Tour and then i'll decide. Anyone else have any imput? Are there viable solutions to cases for most phones that would allow me to bring it into the field and not ahve it destroyed in a day?

You could always stick an iPhone in an otterbox case. Bulky as hell but rugged as gently caress and waterproof IIRC.

Lord_Xar
Feb 1, 2006

Steinbeck posted:

You could always stick an iPhone in an otterbox case. Bulky as hell but rugged as gently caress and waterproof IIRC.

Yeah I looked at the iphone, but I don't think it would fit my budget for monthly payments and I need to have it fit in my pocket.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If I wanted to get an HTC Hero, what version would I need to get? Would it also have to be the one Rogers is using? Are they even going to be getting them? The ones people are pre-ordering on eBay are from the UK I think and wouldn't work. The network bands are advertised as HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Lord_Xar posted:

Yeah I looked at the iphone, but I don't think it would fit my budget for monthly payments and I need to have it fit in my pocket.

The most budget conscious plan right now is 3-4 people on the EPRP family plan, $40-$30/month per line respectively, Pre and Tour compatible (as soon as you can order them online). Call mom and dad and ask if they want to get in on that action, or a wife or someone you trust to pay their bill every month.

Lord_Xar
Feb 1, 2006
Oh I am fine with paying 60 a month, which I am already paying on Verizon. Just wanted to see if there were any other phones out there that would fit my criteria other than the tour or the pre. Def going to have a look at them and see them in person before I make a purchase.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh man, I was looking through the EPRP store and it looks like they're giving away the Curve 8330 for $50 after $100 mail in rebate and with 2 yr. contract. Seems the only real difference between that and the tour is the Tour may be a bit faster, has capability for bigger SD cards, and a better camera... I'd almost rather save the extra $150 and not put up so much when I purchase it. Plus the benefit that the Tour isn't even out on EPRP yet and who knows when it will be.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Lord_Xar posted:

Oh I am fine with paying 60 a month, which I am already paying on Verizon. Just wanted to see if there were any other phones out there that would fit my criteria other than the tour or the pre. Def going to have a look at them and see them in person before I make a purchase.
Do you have a university or employer that would qualify you for a service discount with AT&T? They offer me 10% off service just for flashing my university's student ID, which brings the cost to $63/month + tax for 450 minutes with Rollover, unlimited data, and unlimited SMS on a plan that will work hassle-free with an HTC Magic now, an HTC Hero as soon as they're available, any Nokia smartphone, any SE featurephone, any Windows Mobile phone (bleh), or an iPhone if you're morally okay with fraud.

Still, $60 a month for a Pre or Tour is pretty acceptable in the post-SERO world we live in.

I wish our country wasn't broken bullshit so that I could use phones I like on a hypothetical UMTS version of Sprint. :(

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

All Else Failed posted:

Oh man, I was looking through the EPRP store and it looks like they're giving away the Curve 8330 for $50 after $100 mail in rebate and with 2 yr. contract. Seems the only real difference between that and the tour is the Tour may be a bit faster, has capability for bigger SD cards, and a better camera... I'd almost rather save the extra $150 and not put up so much when I purchase it. Plus the benefit that the Tour isn't even out on EPRP yet and who knows when it will be.
The Tour is faster, has much better build quality, and an infinitely better screen that's higher rez/crisper/brighter -- it basically makes the Curve look completely undesirable and decidedly like outdated tech, which is exactly what it is.

If the phone cost makes that much of a difference to you, skimp, by all means. Paying 60 fuckin' bucks a month for phone service and then dragging rear end on the device itself seems like cutting off the nose to spite the face, though.

If you want to carry some outdated poo poo and aren't married to the BlackBerry ecosystem, put forth some effort and buy someone's old SERO contract and a Treo Pro.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Okay guys so I'll preface my post with this: Ideally I want a 32gb iPhone, but in canada at minimum it's $70 a month because you MUST purchase a certain plan from rogers to have the phone.

Things I'd like to have:

-Camera is a must
-Video Camera is like 75% necessary
-Full keyboard to text
-Large Screen
-has an "app" like deal where I can have a good calender/schedule thing and a good work out weight tracking app

I love my ipod, I've had an 3 ipods spanning hell 6 years now? I'm completely sold on the way it functions and I've been using itunes for forever. Ideally I wanted to take my camera/phone/ipod and fuse it into one so I don't have to carry around 3 seperate technologies all the time. But if something has a great music player that could be a plus, I'd really like to merge my tech.

I don't need a good internet browser, I normally have my laptop on me.

Anything, like a specific blackberry or the google phone maybe that could work for me?

Thanks guys.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

You're going to be unhappy with anything that's not an iPhone 3G S right now. The HTC Hero is a possibility, but it's not out yet and it's not going to play nicely with iTunes or "be an iPod," two features you're clearly looking for.

Does Rogers sell any decent plans under the Fido brand? You could buy an iPhone, unlock it, and take it to Fido, potentially.

On AT&T in the U.S., it's possible to buy an iPhone, put your SIM in another phone, drop the ludicrous $30/month data plan, and put your SIM back in the iPhone. Unfortunately, AT&T can still recognize the iPhone as an iPhone in online account management, which may come back to bite us in the rear end. You might be able to accomplish something like this (but with similar pitfalls).

I have an unproven theory that I am dying to test. :) I have a week-old 32GB iPhone 3G S purchased from AT&T, which is obviously recognized as an iPhone by AT&T's account system since they sold it to me. Reports at HowardForums are mixed, but I've got a theory that if my iPhone were unlocked and used with a Rogers SIM that Rogers might not recognize it as an iPhone. By that same token, I'm theorizing that an iPhone purchased by a Rogers customer and then unlocked might not be recognized as an iPhone by AT&T if I put my AT&T SIM in it.

Long story short, if you or someone you know has a mint condition Rogers 32GB iPhone 3G S and wants to do an experiment that'll cost about $6 in shipping -- drop me a line. ;-*

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

sharkytm posted:

Country/Provider:

USA (AT&T)

Current contract status:

AT&T, old AT&T Wireless contract

Budget (phone/plan):

$150 phone

Features I know I want:
Something comparable to the LG Rumor. I've got a Tmobile SDA right now, and would really like 3G and a QWERTY KB. I just bought an AT&T Tilt/HTC Kaiser, but I can't handle the lack of buttons on the front. I use my speed dial 90% of the time, and a touchscreen just doesn't jive with my need. Its now for sale, looking for something else.

NO iPhone. A BB isn't out of the question, but I need the phone to be slim enough to fit in a side pocket (the Tilt is the biggest phone that'll fit).

Anyone else have any suggestions for a phone? I'm going to check out the Bold and the Tour this weekend. I'd like to stick to AT&T.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Country/Provider: USA, currently on AT&T

Current contract status: I'm on my parents' plan, but I think it's up.

Budget (phone/plan): The Pre/EPRP price sounds good ($200 phone/$60 per month), but I'm willing to pay more if you can convince me it's worth it.

Features I know I want: A really good smart phone. I'm trying to start an online business, so I need to browse the web or check my email at any time. I've done some research on the Pre and played with plenty of iPhones, and I was wondering if you guys had any strong opinion or could suggest another something else to research.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

kalibar posted:

The Tour is faster, has much better build quality, and an infinitely better screen that's higher rez/crisper/brighter -- it basically makes the Curve look completely undesirable and decidedly like outdated tech, which is exactly what it is.

If the phone cost makes that much of a difference to you, skimp, by all means. Paying 60 fuckin' bucks a month for phone service and then dragging rear end on the device itself seems like cutting off the nose to spite the face, though.

If you want to carry some outdated poo poo and aren't married to the BlackBerry ecosystem, put forth some effort and buy someone's old SERO contract and a Treo Pro.

I'm concerned about money, yes. But I'm also concerned about time and there is no official ETA for the Tour on EPRP. I don't want to end up waiting 2 months without a phone.

I understand the Tour makes the Curve 8330 look like crap but the Curve 8330 makes my old Samsung Siren on Cricket look like horse manure steamed in the sun for three days. Plus it's cheaper and I can get it now. If I truly want to upgrade in the future I'll just do so and renew my contract but for right now I think the Curve for this price and at this time is the best for me. I'm literally going to be ordering it tonight whereas I have no clue when I could get the Tour.

I know you're a connossieur but for what I'm looking for I think I will be quite happy with the Curve, whether there's something better coming out in the near future or not.

Blacksmith
Dec 3, 2004

I'm looking for a new contract, probably going to go with Verizon. They have the best track record for my area.
Here's the problem, I have man hands.
My four knuckles measure at 4 inches wide, most of those tiny QWERTY keyboards are not worth my time. I would like to find a phone that does have a full keyboard, but also happens to understand that I do not have girl hands.
Music and micro SD card would be nice but not necessary, bluetooth is unnecessary.
Price range is about $100 with a 2 year contract if it's cost effective.

Zengbo
Jun 25, 2006

I pity the fool who messes with my tea!
Country/Region: China (Mainland)
Contract Status: Pay as you go
Budget: I'll consider pretty much any level, go wild!
Features I want:
  • Good camera with decent low-light/flash ability(Preferably greater than or equal to 5MP)
  • Fast GPRS internet (3G is NOT available)
  • GMail support
  • Smartphone functions - Good, detailed calendar and phone book which can be connected to isync (not Outlook), some limited on-phone image editing ability, and bluetooth connectivity
  • GPS functionality (Location-tagging with the camera would be awesome!)
  • Good battery life (>5 days standby)
  • Number pad>QWERTY keyboard>touchscreen

I've been looking at the iPhone 3G (Black Market Import), the Nokia n86, n95-8GB, n97, and E71. I'm not really a Nokia fanboy, honest. It's just that in China, Nokia smartphones are the most readily available. I had a n82 and was very happy with it, responsively, it was a little slow, but I loved the camera and smartphone functionality but traded for a Motosurf (a3100) when my laptop died. It has decent surfing, but I hate everything else about this drat phone.

I have a iTouch and like the iPhone, but the small camera, touchscreen and high price really put me off unless the actual phone functions are awesome. The n97 seems cool too, but China has blocked Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube indefinitely, so I don't know if it would be worthwhile without a lot of the widgets and web-functionality. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the n95 or n86, but still unsure. Mostly, I'd like to know if anyone has any insight from using any of the phones I listed, or if there is another choice which I have just totally overlooked. Thanks in advance!

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Get another N82. It's still the best cameraphone Nokia has put out, and even the Nokia diehards can attest to that.

They're pretty cheap these days, and it still best satisfies all the criteria you outlined.

Zengbo
Jun 25, 2006

I pity the fool who messes with my tea!

kalibar posted:

Get another N82. It's still the best cameraphone Nokia has put out, and even the Nokia diehards can attest to that.

They're pretty cheap these days, and it still best satisfies all the criteria you outlined.

On closer look, that really does seem like the best solution, thanks a lot!

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
I live in the UK, I don't really care what network as long as its cheap + pay as you go.

Don't wanna spend a fortune on it, I'd like it to be able to call, text and work as an alarm clock, a camera and mp3 functionality would be a bonus but the #1 thing I'm after is that it be built like a tank and won't break if it gets smashed against a wall or the floor, gets wet or stepped on.

e: compact too.

spe fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 20, 2009

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Zengbo posted:

[*]Fast GPRS internet

Are you yankin' us? There's parts of China that have GPRS *only* and no EDGE at least? I guess it's not a huge jump but goddamn.

I'm gonna make a quiet prayer of thanks next time my phone waffles between EDGE and 3G and chooses 3G.

(PS: gently caress you carriers for rolling out hardware more capable than your networks even in metro areas. EDGE is gay as gently caress. In Colorado Metro: At&T + T-mo suck worst at this)

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I didn't know you were in Colorado. I'm in northern Colorado and AT&T is kinda bullshit out here.

It definitely seems like the phone is just confused about where the hell to go: it waffles between EDGE and UMTS a lot depending on where I'm at in town (meanwhile, my brother who uses a GSM/EDGE phone has perfect signal everywhere). Surprisingly, I get perfect UMTS at work (even the basement) and everywhere in my house, so it's good enough to hang onto. Sprint gets a pretty weak signal in my house, but seems to have a better 3G footprint when we're out and about.

kbar fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 21, 2009

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up

spe posted:

I live in the UK, I don't really care what network as long as its cheap + pay as you go.

Don't wanna spend a fortune on it, I'd like it to be able to call, text and work as an alarm clock, a camera and mp3 functionality would be a bonus but the #1 thing I'm after is that it be built like a tank and won't break if it gets smashed against a wall or the floor, gets wet or stepped on.

e: compact too.

Apparently phone sales people are flabbergasted when you ask for a sturdy phone, I'm thinking of going for the Sony Ericsson W595 on a cheapass vodafone contract at a tenner a month if anyone has anything to say about that setup, it seems solid enough and apparently its sweet for mp3s.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

spe posted:

Apparently phone sales people are flabbergasted when you ask for a sturdy phone, I'm thinking of going for the Sony Ericsson W595 on a cheapass vodafone contract at a tenner a month if anyone has anything to say about that setup, it seems solid enough and apparently its sweet for mp3s.

SE phones in my experience are horribly fragile. my 580i's LCD screen broke if i even looked at it funny. All the other ones I've looked at here since felt way too flexible to me as well. So I'm stuck with a crappy but seemingly durable samsung a127 (not that I'd recommend this pos to anyone either)

Lord_Xar
Feb 1, 2006

Lord_Xar posted:

# Country/Provider:

Pennsylvania and New England states (Mass, VT, NH, and Maine)

# Current contract status:

I am with Verizon, but my contract is up and my phone just broke

# Budget (phone/plan):

I can spend up to 60 or 70 bucks a month for the plan and probably 250 for the phone itself. I don't mind signing a 2yr contract

# Features I know I want:

This is the hard part because as of now I'd like to get a phone that is pretty rugged. I work in the field (hydrogeology stuff) so i need to have something that will have a decent gps (let me store exact pinpoints like a pull off on a road or a stream a decent ways from a road) and the ability to do internet stuff (not all that important, but would be nice). Also like the normal stuff like SMS and ability to put dumb games on it (hour and a half train ride everyday).

Something else that I'd like to have, but finding pretty much impossible is to be able to use it in the US, but also able to use it abroad in New Zealand or other pacific areas or even Europe. I'm only a student right now so this isn't too pertinent.

I was looking at the palm pre, but it doesn't have the ability to gsm or an expandable memory, although the gps and internet stuff is pretty appealing. The only thing that is holding me back is that I'd probably just get it all scratched etc etc in the field.

Thanks for the help!

So i have pretty much come to picking between the Tour and Pre. For what I am looking for which do you guys think would fit my needs better?

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Lord_Xar posted:

So i have pretty much come to picking between the Tour and Pre. For what I am looking for which do you guys think would fit my needs better?

I like both, though the Pre has a pretty lovely keyboard (some people are okay with it--I had a buddy that was trying to "get used to it", started getting quick on it, and then his hand was cramping up pretty bad).

He also went through 3 replacements on build quality / display issues. This was pretty widespread on the Pre at launch--dunno if it still is.

I'd say read a review on the Tour and see if it's your kinda thing. I've tried the keyboard and thought it was just about the best hard keyboard i'd ever used.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
# Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

# Current contract status: Nada. This is my first USA cell plan

# Budget (phone/plan): $600 phone, $100/mo plan that includes data

# Features I know I want: not rape and/or slavery.

Is there any potential downside to buying the BlackBerry Bold on contract as opposed to purchasing it at the no commitment price, other than the $175 termination fee? The Bold is $550 at no commitment price. If I sign up for a two year contract, I get $150 off and an additional $100 mail-in rebate.

I do not want to be in AT&T's pocket.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jam2 posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

# Current contract status: Nada. This is my first USA cell plan

# Budget (phone/plan): $600 phone, $100/mo plan that includes data

# Features I know I want: not rape and/or slavery.

Is there any potential downside to buying the BlackBerry Bold on contract as opposed to purchasing it at the no commitment price, other than the $175 termination fee? The Bold is $550 at no commitment price. If I sign up for a two year contract, I get $150 off and an additional $100 mail-in rebate.

I do not want to be in AT&T's pocket.

You've said before that you have a Bold, so get it unlocked if you haven't already. Save your money and use that. There really isn't a better phone than the Bold except for the iPhone 3GS if you want something new, get the 3GS. If you can't deal with the iPhone for reasons, stick with the Bold that you already have.

Lord_Xar posted:

Tour because it has quad-band GSM and international GSM 3G (2100). The Tour has a great hard keyboard. I can't wait for the BlackBerry Driftwood (code name) because the keyboard isn't cramped like my 8900's. The Tour is the size of a Curve 8330 except it's a little bit taller. The Pre has a nice size, but its keyboard is atrocious. Honestly, I'd rather give up the Pre's keyboard for a larger screen because that keyboard is just that bad. The BlackBerry platform is nice and mature. So take the Tour, it's nearly the best BlackBerry RIM has ever created (Bold is still ahead because it has Wi-Fi).

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Godzilla07 posted:

You've said before that you have a Bold, so get it unlocked if you haven't already. Save your money and use that. There really isn't a better phone than the Bold except for the iPhone 3GS if you want something new, get the 3GS. If you can't deal with the iPhone for reasons, stick with the Bold that you already have.
I sold my Bold for USD$500 so I can buy a new phone in the US.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
:siren: Update/Conclusion :siren:

I ended up purchasing a Tour at full retail price from Verizon for $489.99. I got a $59.99 plan that includes unlimited text messaging and 450 minutes per month. BIS goes on top of that for $30. I had to pay a $125 security deposit but they say I can get that back no questions asked if I leave the company.

Verizon Tour (without WiFi) > AT&T + new Bold > AT&T + using my old Bold

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

If I were you, I'd cancel that Verizon plan right away (while you can do it for free) and get a Tour on Sprint's EPRP plan. It's 59.99/month including BlackBerry data, unlimited SMS, 500 minutes, GPS nav, and 7PM nights. You'll save $720 over Verizon throughout your two year contract.

You can get Sprint down to $52.50/month if you use the 25% credit union discount that anyone can qualify for, and you can get them down as low as $31/month per person if you have five people on your plan.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

kalibar posted:

If I were you, I'd cancel that Verizon plan right away (while you can do it for free) and get a Tour on Sprint's EPRP plan. It's 59.99/month including BlackBerry data, unlimited SMS, 500 minutes, GPS nav, and 7PM nights. You'll save $720 over Verizon throughout your two year contract.

You can get Sprint down to $52.50/month if you use the 25% credit union discount that anyone can qualify for, and you can get them down as low as $31/month per person if you have five people on your plan.

That package sounds excellent. What does EPRP stand for? I get junk when I search the phrase. edit: Okay. I see what it is.

How does one apply for the credit union discount?

I don't have a contract with Verizon by the way. I can cancel within 30 days for free and get all of my monies back?

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 23, 2009

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

kalibar posted:

Seconding this in case you start to get lazy or decide to back down. Going Vzw to Sprint is a great way to save a shitfuckton of money with very little hit on coverage.

Also: gently caress Verizon for holding back phone functionality as the "innovative" way to gently caress over users. They pioneered this as a business tactic. gently caress Verizon and their Buddy Holly hipsterfaggot "network".

"Can you hear me loving you over *now*?"

(Also AT&T still sucks--but for different reasons.)

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Steinbeck posted:

Seconding this in case you start to get lazy or decide to back down. Going Vzw to Sprint is a great way to save a shitfuckton of money with very little hit on coverage.

Also: gently caress Verizon for holding back phone functionality as the "innovative" way to gently caress over users. They pioneered this as a business tactic. gently caress Verizon and their Buddy Holly hipsterfaggot "network".

Not long after reading that post, I placed the call to cancel. They told me that the phone already shipped and that I would have to take the phone to the store to cancel. This is difficult to believe as I placed the order only a few hours before I called to cancel. Five hours hadn't passed. Anyways, I plan to return the phone promptly.

I am having some issues on the Sprint site. I cannot select the Tour to add it to the cart. Stupid EPRP web site...

Well I finally managed to get the site to work. It looks like I need to sign up for a two year contract to get this special EPRP price. Is there any reason why I should be afraid of contracts?? I dont loving want one. Why cant I go month to month? Fuckers.

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 23, 2009

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

i'm tired of re-typing this so I'm just going to quote myself

kalibar posted:

You need to re-think your concept of contracts. They suck, absolutely, but they're kinda required to do wireless "properly" right now. Just be sure you're getting a phone that's discounted off its contract-free (or fair market) price by more than $175. That way, you can pay the ETF whenever you want (and it declines monthly!) and you're (1) out of contract and (2) financially equal to or ahead of where you were when you started.

If you get a trash phone like the LG enV free with contract that has minimal resale value and then have to eat a $175 termination fee to leave your carrier a month later, yeah, you did it wrong. Employ some common sense here: don't sign a contract for a phone that's selling on eBay for less than the cell service's ETF.

If you get an acceptable phone discount, contracts aren't really a problem since you can always terminate them at your option for $175 or $200 or whatever. You paid Verizon $490 for the Tour, when you could have paid Sprint $200 for it and then immediately turned around and cancelled your contract (on day 31, since a cancellation before then means returning the phone) for $200. Total Tour cost is now $400, and you're back out of contract. The longer you keep the service, the lower your ETF would be to end the contract, further reducing the price of the phone. If you complete the contract, which people have been known to actually do, you win! Your phone only cost you $200 total, plus the phone service that you would have been paying somebody some amount for regardless.

Contracts suck, I agree, but you can work them to your advantage.

EDIT: Just checked eBay. Brand new Sprint BlackBerry Tours are selling for $425-450 shipped for the moment, so yeah, a $200 Tour with a $200 ETF option attached to it makes good financial sense no matter how you look at it. Even if you're sure you'll cancel at some point, the greater present value of money dictates that you're better off paying your second $200 at some point in the future. The declining ETF (seriously, thanks government) means that your second half will decrease alongside your Tour's depreciation.

kbar fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 23, 2009

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

kalibar posted:

i'm tired of re-typing this so I'm just going to quote myself

If you get an acceptable phone discount, contracts aren't really a problem since you can always terminate them at your option for $175 or $200 or whatever. You paid Verizon $490 for the Tour, when you could have paid Sprint $200 for it and then immediately turned around and cancelled your contract (on day 31, since a cancellation before then means returning the phone) for $200. Total Tour cost is now $400, and you're back out of contract. The longer you keep the service, the lower your ETF would be to end the contract, further reducing the price of the phone. If you complete the contract, which people have been known to actually do, you win! Your phone only cost you $200 total, plus the phone service that you would have been paying somebody some amount for regardless.

Contracts suck, I agree, but you can work them to your advantage.

EDIT: Just checked eBay. Brand new Sprint BlackBerry Tours are selling for $425-450 shipped for the moment, so yeah, a $200 Tour with a $200 ETF option attached to it makes good financial sense no matter how you look at it. Even if you're sure you'll cancel at some point, the greater present value of money dictates that you're better off paying your second $200 at some point in the future. The declining ETF (seriously, thanks government) means that your second half will decrease alongside your Tour's depreciation.

I worked that math out myself yesterday. But I didn't know that there were no hidden terms. I thought that the cell phone companies had more cards in their hand than that.

I am going to sign up for Spring RIGHT loving NOW. Thanks kalibar and Steinbeck.

edit: Order completed

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 23, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Steinbeck posted:

Oh boy, Verizon loves to cripple. They cripple GPS on their smartphones so you can't use the built-in GPS with Google Maps, you'll have to use VZNavigator which sucks beyond belief. And you have to pay $10/month for that lovely navigation app also.

All carriers suck. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA. Verizon is also overpriced. AT&T's 3G seems to be mediocre. T-Mobile's 3G is still a bit sparse and there are little 3G smartphones. My 3G BlackBerry from T-Mobile looks to be still a few months away. Plus the subsidized phone pricing sucks beyond belief compared to Asian and European carriers. It's $250 or something like that for a Bold (can't look up exact figures because I'm posting from my Curve 8900) on AT&T on a 2-year contract while it's maybe £50 max on a carrier in the UK and that contract is 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
My Sprint contract is up and despite some problems with customer service, I've decided I'll probably stick with them since we get a good discount through work.

I'm currently paying about $53/month for two phones with 550 minutes and text.

I'd like to stay below $100/month (before work discount) and pick up either two Tours or two Pres, what is the best method to do this without breaking the bank?