Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
He's also positioned lower, and probably has a good deal more experience in riding in adverse conditions.

It's not windy until you're dragging hard parts while going in a straight line. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M4gic posted:

Yeah I'll have to look into that and see if there's a problem with it. I rode for a few miles on the highway today with it being very windy out and found out just how much the bike can get knocked around in the wind. I was tailing my friend who has a 650lbs cruiser and the FZ6 is about 450 with a full tank and man, I could barely keep it under control while his was doing just fine. First time I've ridden in really heavy winds so it was very scary for a bit.

That has a lot more to do with the rider than the bike, really. Relaxing on the bars is the biggest thing you can do to "fix" lovely handling in high wind. It takes a little getting used to though.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26270920@N03/sets/72157621458388979/

I got a new Bike :dance:

And its the one I've always wanted. I think I got a decent enough price for it, too, after years of waiting and watching. Its incredible having a bike that actually runs (dare i say this)

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I had originally traded the Speed Triple for the Sprint ST because I wanted to do some touring but that never happened. The riding position on the Sprint was too aggressive for me and I really preferred the upright position of the Speed Triple. After over two years and only 4500 miles I decided to get something that I would actually enjoy riding. Sooooo... I just traded the 2006 Sprint ST for...

A 2008 Hypermotard 1100 S

I had never been a Ducati fan until I rode the Hypermotard. God drat is it a fun bike and the brakes are loving phenomenal!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chill_Bebop posted:

And its the one I've always wanted. I think I got a decent enough price for it, too, after years of waiting and watching. Its incredible having a bike that actually runs (dare i say this)

drat, I was considering fixing up one of those. A 69 basket case...got the 6R instead. Very nice.

bung...Brembos are the poo poo, eh? :neckbeard:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

bung posted:

How's the ergos on that? Does it have a skinny-rear end dirtbike seat and metal pegs, or is it more of a standard with motocross trappings?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Simkin posted:

How's the ergos on that? Does it have a skinny-rear end dirtbike seat and metal pegs, or is it more of a standard with motocross trappings?

The ergos are pretty nice. The seat does force you down onto the tank due to it's slope but it is pretty wide and comfy. The pegs are shaped like MX style but they have a rubber insert on the top.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

M4gic posted:

Yeah I'll have to look into that and see if there's a problem with it. I rode for a few miles on the highway today with it being very windy out and found out just how much the bike can get knocked around in the wind. I was tailing my friend who has a 650lbs cruiser and the FZ6 is about 450 with a full tank and man, I could barely keep it under control while his was doing just fine. First time I've ridden in really heavy winds so it was very scary for a bit.

From someone who rides a 750lb cruiser, while a heavier bike is better, they are still thrown around quite a bit*. Like Z3n said, relax the death grip on the bars, and try to stay in your lane, and you'll be fine.

*and actually if he has a windshield, it's probably worse in a crosswind since it acts like a loving sail.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chill_Bebop posted:

I got a new Bike :dance:
Awesome looking bike! Congrats.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Doctor Zero posted:

Like Z3n said, relax the death grip on the bars, and try to stay in your lane, and you'll be fine.

Gripping the tank with your knees can really help out in a crosswind.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

M4gic posted:

Stick your knee out in the direction the wind is ocming from.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Z3n posted:

drat, I was considering fixing up one of those. A 69 basket case...got the 6R instead. Very nice.

Whats funny is that my buddy JUST bought a '69 CB350 a week before without me knowing.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Traded in the Rebel 250 and got a new bike today. The ride is, ah, very different.

Edit: trying to change size of picture, sorry :(

Edit2: I can't seem to change the size of the attachment. . .

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darth Llama fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 19, 2009

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
drat, that VFR is nice...

here's some more red white and blue...

My new Rockster, I'm well chuffed so far.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Look what I just got! lovely nighttime/cameraphone pics for now, more once I actually get it home and registered, but I am pretty excited about it!

Click here for the full 2032x1520 image.

For a $600 bike, not bad! It's a 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim. Schlomo and I went to check it out and we deemed it was good. He did most of the deeming, I just rode it around the block (my first "real world" riding experience out of MSF). Asking price was originally $800, and talked the seller down to $600 by, well, just offering $600.

In Schlomo's words, he was expecting the bike to be 6/10 in both looks and running ability. Instead, we found it was a 4/10 in looks and 8/10 in how it ran. It ran excellent, fired right up, shifted well, braked alright (Schlomo pointed out that the front brakes could probably use bleeding and some new pads soon), accelerated great, and FELT good.

To BOTH of our surprise, the handlebars he previously thought would cause damage ended up feelign REALLY REALLY good to hold. Much more comfortable than the MSF 250s handlebars.

Of course as soon as I touched it once it fell over :( Not used to bigger bikes yet, the 250s you could throw around effortlessly and get on no problem, I accidentally straightened the handlebars before I got on and then it just went over. Was a good test though, nothing broke (like the taillights).

More pics:

Click here for the full 1520x2032 image.

See those handlebars? Surprisingly comfy.

The biggest cosmetic damage is to the gas tank, as seen in the below pic. It's scratched up, and it looks like some surface rust might be peeking it's head, but it didn't look serious, and can probably easily be sanded out. I'm thinking sand it, repaint it, and it will seriously improve the cosmetics.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Nice, Myrddin. I'll post pics of my trashy '77 GS400 I just got for free, once it's running. Your bike is gorgeous by comparison.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

"[working title posted:

"]
drat, that VFR is nice...

here's some more red white and blue...

That's gorgeous. What exactly is it, and what the hell is that spring under the gas tank?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

DrakeriderCa posted:

Nice, Myrddin. I'll post pics of my trashy '77 GS400 I just got for free, once it's running. Your bike is gorgeous by comparison.

Thinking of repainting it British racing green as a weekend project. That, and a good cleaning of the rest of the metal (you can do that, right?) would make it an actual looker.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

OrangeFurious posted:

That's gorgeous. What exactly is it, and what the hell is that spring under the gas tank?

BMW R1150R. The spring under the gas tank is part of BMWs Telelever Front End.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

OrangeFurious posted:

I actually went to the bmw website to find the bike, I seriously had no idea what it was.

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!

OrangeFurious posted:

Thanks, its the R1150R Rockster and as Z3n said, the spring is part of the telelever suspension. Designed to cut down fork dive under heavy braking, which takes a little while to get used to. As do the headlights :pwn:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually really dig the BMW asymmetry.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

"[working title posted:

"]
Thanks, its the R1150R Rockster and as Z3n said, the spring is part of the telelever suspension. Designed to cut down fork dive under heavy braking, which takes a little while to get used to. As do the headlights :pwn:

Without having done any research on it I'm filled with a very strong desire to own this motorcycle. The :pwn: look doesn't do much for me overall, but on your bike in your colors it looks great.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

As wierd as the suspension looks, it works like a charm, and you really don't notice anything untowards about it. I would just like to say that after carrying a passenger on my dad's R1150GS, I'm really loving jealous. Two-up on my ZR-7S isn't terrible, but on that big beast, you don't notice a goddamned thing.

Okay, maybe I wouldn't want his exact bike - I'd take something like this instead:

Simkin fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 20, 2009

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
^^^Ha, it's funny, I like everything about the HP2 styling apart from that small single headlight.v:downs:v

OrangeFurious posted:

Without having done any research on it I'm filled with a very strong desire to own this motorcycle. The :pwn: look doesn't do much for me overall, but on your bike in your colors it looks great.

I'm really enjoying it, there's loads of torque and the riding position is great. It's solid two up and comfortable. It is heavy, but the weight feels really low down and at anything above ~2mph you don't notice it.
Have another pic..

Click here for the full 735x551 image.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

"[working title posted:

"]
^^^Ha, it's funny, I like everything about the HP2 styling apart from that small single headlight.v:downs:v

I'm really enjoying it, there's loads of torque and the riding position is great. It's solid two up and comfortable. It is heavy, but the weight feels really low down and at anything above ~2mph you don't notice it.
Have another pic..

Click here for the full 735x551 image.

Do I spy mounting points for a set of bags? I might have to seriously consider hunting one of these things down.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

OrangeFurious posted:

Do I spy mounting points for a set of bags? I might have to seriously consider hunting one of these things down.

Test ride first. The boxer engine setup is...unique.

Also, if the clutch is slipping, run run far away. You have to split the bike in half to get to the clutch. :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pics are from previous owner. There are slightly more bugs on it now, and it lives about 50 km further north.

Now to finish off the work on my KLR and sell it!

Riff Raff Billy
Aug 6, 2004
We don't have the otter, sir.
I just got my first bike about 3 weeks ago. I've put 500 miles on it and I love it. It's an '05 Ninja 250R that was in pretty pristine condition.

This was the only noticeable scratch:

Being new to motorcycles, I didn't know what this did and thought I broke something on the first ride.

And for those that say 250cc's is not enough power for a big guy, I am 6'2 270lbs and on my commute to work it goes 75mph easily and I was able to take it to 100mph without much effort (just a good wait!). I do look like a bear on a trike at the circus though, but I don't really care.

Riff Raff Billy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 21, 2009

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Phy posted:

Pics are from previous owner. There are slightly more bugs on it now, and it lives about 50 km further north.

Now to finish off the work on my KLR and sell it!

That passenger backrest/pseudo-sissy bar rules. At first I was all like, "wtf is up with that brake light?"

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Riff Raff Billy posted:

And for those that say 250cc's is not enough power for a big guy, I am 6'2 270lbs and on my commute to work it goes 75mph easily and I was able to take it to 100mph without much effort (just a good wait!). I do look like a bear on a trike at the circus though, but I don't really care.

Hell ya, you're alright.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Riff Raff Billy posted:

Being new to motorcycles, I didn't know what this did and thought I broke something on the first ride.

Haha, I did the same thing when I got my first bike. "OH poo poo, SOMEONE CUT MY VACUUM HOSE! :downs:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Riff Raff Billy posted:

Hah, I did the same thing. Mine died because of a rusty tank interior clogging up the carbs, and I saw the hose sticking down and thought it broke or was pulled loose or something.

Welcome to the Ninjette club. :woop:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh hey I didn't mention it but thanks to everyone for suggestions when I was flailing about for advice. This forum is awesome and you guys are awesome.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Alright, got better pics. This might be a project bike with it's own thread, let me know what you guys think. There's some good, some bad, and some very ugly.

This bike, a 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim, is what Schlomo called both a 10 footer and 15 footer. It looks semi-decent from a distance, as evidenced here:

Here it is closer, I think it still looks okay but you start to notice the flaws.

That gas tank is supposed to be a solid color. It's speckled, with some rust on it. Closer view:

Look at that throttle and grip. I already have replacements, will be adding them as soon as I get some sort of adhesive. Not sure what to use.

YIKES! Look at these headers (these are headers, right?). I have replacements for these already too (they need a good cleaning, but they are not like this!)

I just need to put them on, and I don't know how yet! Total noob :(

Here's the, uh, engine or something. From what I can tell, the fins (yeah?) are supposed to be black.

More pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wagedomain/sets/72157621782110668/

Do you think it's worth starting a project thread for this bike? I have a bunch of the parts. I just need to get the knowhow. I also want to repaint the gas tank, and want it to be snazzier than flat black.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Look at that throttle and grip. I already have replacements, will be adding them as soon as I get some sort of adhesive. Not sure what to use.

I've always used hairspray because it's a lube when wet and a glue when it dries, but I'm sure there's some snazzy stuff made just for grips.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

frozenphil posted:

I've always used hairspray because it's a lube when wet and a glue when it dries, but I'm sure there's some snazzy stuff made just for grips.

Does it make a difference that the new grip is rubber, not foam (foam is really incomfortable to use, too)

Deodorant
Dec 10, 2006
Pete Doherty's dealer
No, use hairspray. My grips don't budge when tied down.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Well, there they are.

Tough to get on without the hairspray. With it, it slipped on EASILY. How long does it take to dry in place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Deodorant posted:

No, use hairspray. My grips don't budge when tied down.

Spit works fine too.