Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Goddamn I suck at strategy games. Even playing on easy, Evil Genius is wearing me down. If I send more henchmen out to get money I end up with too much heat and too many agents poking around my base, and then the henchmen get offed in the field while I'm busy tending to the agents. If I don't send them, I sit around stabbing the occasional investigator but I'm stone broke.
This very same thing keeps happening to me. Either the difficulty is ridiculous or I just suck at the game (probably the latter). Eventually I just started cheating to get more money instead.

Then I cheated to get all the traps and now the game's no fun since I ruined the sense of discovery :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves
Are there any games on GOG you'd recommnd for having in the background at work, something you can do a few moves at then alt+tab back to the humdrum spreadsheets? I guess dosbox games could run in a window (rather than fullscreen)... actually while I'm thinking about it something that could runn of a USB wotsit would be ideal too like in Get Well Gamers Thread.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Goddamn I suck at strategy games. Even playing on easy, Evil Genius is wearing me down. If I send more henchmen out to get money I end up with too much heat and too many agents poking around my base, and then the henchmen get offed in the field while I'm busy tending to the agents. If I don't send them, I sit around stabbing the occasional investigator but I'm stone broke.

That's really a problem with the game. There's a few tricks, though. Don't worry about your henchmen dying in the field. When you start getting loot, place it in areas like the control room where it'll improve the mood of the henchmen there (and generally make missions easier to deal with). Valets reduce heat, both on missions, and during general money gathering. Rotate who you steal money from. IE: America for a while, then Europe, then Russia, etc.

Evil Genius is kind of a disappointment, since they get so much right, but the gameplay is rather slow, and the limit on henchmen doesn't really help. It's still an enjoyable game, and using various torture devices is always fun.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

frowning posted:

Are there any games on GOG you'd recommnd for having in the background at work, something you can do a few moves at then alt+tab back to the humdrum spreadsheets? I guess dosbox games could run in a window (rather than fullscreen)... actually while I'm thinking about it something that could runn of a USB wotsit would be ideal too like in Get Well Gamers Thread.
Some of the turn-based strategy games like Disciples 2 or Jagged Alliance would work. Or maybe an adventuregame like Broken Sword.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

thedaian posted:

That's really a problem with the game. There's a few tricks, though. Don't worry about your henchmen dying in the field. When you start getting loot, place it in areas like the control room where it'll improve the mood of the henchmen there (and generally make missions easier to deal with). Valets reduce heat, both on missions, and during general money gathering. Rotate who you steal money from. IE: America for a while, then Europe, then Russia, etc.

Evil Genius is kind of a disappointment, since they get so much right, but the gameplay is rather slow, and the limit on henchmen doesn't really help. It's still an enjoyable game, and using various torture devices is always fun.
Are there mods to fix those issues? I've held off on it because I'd heard it was kinda iffy like that. There was a cool LP of it a while ago but it got abandoned sadly.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Evil Genius and a couple others had something wrong with the game. I'd play it and it locks up, or goes into some monitor error mode where I get multicolored lines and static. Not all games do this though.

Painkiller, UT2k4 (still best UT game imo), Knights and Merchants, Gothic 2, and most games not bought with GoG work fine, but Evil Genius, Spellforce, and some games not bought with GoG mess up.

Is there any pattern you see with what works and what doesn't?

Winterking
Apr 17, 2004

suck a dick
(no homo)

frowning posted:

Heroes of Might and Magic, perhaps? It's turn based, runs in DosBox, and I'd imagine you could install it on a USB drive pretty easily.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I'm really hoping to see Tropico on gog at some point. Maybe after Tropico 3 comes out. I'm dying for a city builder that doesn't look dated to play on my Eee.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Evil Genius isn't that bad if you constantly check the world domination screen to see if any agents of justice are investigating where your henchmen are stealing from. You usually have 30 seconds or so of them just sitting there before they actually kill any of your henchmen where you can tell them to hide till the coast is clear.

Also, when you see a red dot anywhere on your island, just put the kill tag on it and ignore them for the most part unless they end up in your base. Make sure your base has a camera at the front entrance, and don't build a secondary entrance unless you really really need to. Building a freezer really helps too as it helps boost morale and kills heat at the same time, I know it seems like a useless expansion but it works miracles. Agents investigating are pains in the asses but they are manageable, the game is a grind at times but it can be alota fun.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend promo: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six costs only $9.99 when bought together.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Boondock Saint posted:

Evil Genius isn't that bad if you constantly check the world domination screen to see if any agents of justice are investigating where your henchmen are stealing from. You usually have 30 seconds or so of them just sitting there before they actually kill any of your henchmen where you can tell them to hide till the coast is clear.

Also, when you see a red dot anywhere on your island, just put the kill tag on it and ignore them for the most part unless they end up in your base. Make sure your base has a camera at the front entrance, and don't build a secondary entrance unless you really really need to. Building a freezer really helps too as it helps boost morale and kills heat at the same time, I know it seems like a useless expansion but it works miracles. Agents investigating are pains in the asses but they are manageable, the game is a grind at times but it can be alota fun.

On the other hand, you can capture them and use the Mixer on them to raise morale for other units. You'll need the Mixer for other objectives anyway, so you may as well. Of course, it's not the only thing to do with captured as the game goes on, but it seems you're early in the game, so....

The Mixer is also your primary way of calming panicked visitors at that point-capture them, put them through it, they'll forget what they've seen. Remember that a character leaving with no suspicions lowers your heat.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 17, 2009

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

Charlie Mopps posted:

Some of the turn-based strategy games like Disciples 2 or Jagged Alliance would work. Or maybe an adventuregame like Broken Sword.

Winterking posted:

Heroes of Might and Magic, perhaps? It's turn based, runs in DosBox, and I'd imagine you could install it on a USB drive pretty easily.

Thanks gents.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

Blodskur posted:

Weekend promo: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six costs only $9.99 when bought together.

I highly recommend this package for anyone who likes tactical shooters. While Rainbow Six is a good game, Ghost Recon is a fantastic game that still holds its own against newer tactical shooters.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ShortStack posted:

I'm really hoping to see Tropico on gog at some point. Maybe after Tropico 3 comes out. I'm dying for a city builder that doesn't look dated to play on my Eee.

Tropico and Startopia both need to find their way to GoG.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Use valets for everything.

Having a ton of them around your base, as long as you tag the agents properly, will keep you safe. You can also send social agents on missions to produce less heat, if you like.

Plavski posted:

Are there mods to fix those issues? I've held off on it because I'd heard it was kinda iffy like that. There was a cool LP of it a while ago but it got abandoned sadly.

The only mod I ever used was changing the config to double the number of henchmen I had. Sure, it's unbalanced, but it's fun. Makes the endgame a lot less stressful since your missions will require many types of units, and this way you can have lots of each.
http://www.n1nj4.com/viewtopic.php?p=46502

The first number in each pair is you notoriety, or whatever the equivalent is, and the second is the population you can have at that level.

Anonononomous fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 17, 2009

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Master of Magic would be a great game to play in a window. It works awesome in DOSBox back when it was available from the Underdogs.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Tropico and Startopia both need to find their way to GoG.

Here are the words of an intelligent man

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Startopia, in particular, could use a resurgence in mod interest. And Tropico, hell, that'd be worth it just to get my hands on the soundtrack.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I've been looking at getting one of the Earth:21X0 games, is there anything especially noteworthy about any of them? It seems like I've heard the most good things about 2150, though I vaguely remember playing a demo of it waaay back in the day and being put off by the interface. 2140 looks old but has sprites, (I love sprites) and 2160 has hooters on the cover so clearly it's a difficult choice.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

RentACop posted:

I've been looking at getting one of the Earth:21X0 games, is there anything especially noteworthy about any of them? It seems like I've heard the most good things about 2150, though I vaguely remember playing a demo of it waaay back in the day and being put off by the interface. 2140 looks old but has sprites, (I love sprites) and 2160 has hooters on the cover so clearly it's a difficult choice.

Never played 2140, strongly suggest 2150, suggest avoiding 2160.

2150 was arguably one of the best strategy games of its day, it was one of the first to have customizable units if I recall.

I say avoid 2160 because it has arguably the lamest plot of any RTS game I've ever played. It took pretty much all that made the stories of the previous games interesting and threw it all out the window.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Just chiming in to say that Empire Earth is a very good game. I used to play it religiously back in the day with my roommates when I was in school. If you're looking for a strategy game you can't go wrong with it! Plus there are lots of single player campaigns made for it apparently:

http://ee.heavengames.com/downloads/lister.php?&category=campaign&start=0&s=r&o=d.

and people on GoG say they got multiplayer to work and have found 100+ people on it.

FearOfABlackKnob fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 18, 2009

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Earth 2150 rocks pretty hard.

That said, I would love Tropico Reloaded to hit GOG.

Is Empire Earth worth picking up? I have the game, but not the expansion and I can't remember if the expansion adding anything worthwhile.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sardonik posted:

2150 was arguably one of the best strategy games of its day, it was one of the first to have customizable units if I recall.

The Machine posted:

Alright buying it now. Better be good, I had to work an entire hour to afford it (my job is horrible)

Empire Earth kind of makes me sad because the third one sucked so hard it killed the franchise. Like, the developer removed all mention of it from their own site bad. Which is odd because they made the second one and it was pretty good.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Earth 2140 is a straight up Command and Conquer clone. The only thing that differentiates Earth 2140 from Command and Conquer is that Earth 2140's two sides (Eurasian Dynasty and United Civilized States) have vastly differentiating units at their disposal. Other than that, its pretty much 'build lots of tanks and move them towards the enemy' type of strategy. I would only get the game if you are a completionest for the Earth trilogy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now that a new MechWarrior was announced, the games need to find their way to GoG.

Like now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

al-azad posted:

Now that a new MechWarrior was announced, the games need to find their way to GoG.

Like now.

MechWarrior 4 is being released for free soon.

http://battletech.catalystgamelabs.com/2009/07/09/mechwarrior-to-be-distributed-free-on-battletech-com/

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

The Machine posted:

That said, I would love Tropico Reloaded to hit GOG.

Is Empire Earth worth picking up? I have the game, but not the expansion and I can't remember if the expansion adding anything worthwhile.

Empire Earth is definitely worth getting if you're into Age of Empires or Rise of Nations. It has a huge complexity of units and a ridiculous number of units, and it's a lot of fun.

You need to download EE Lobby and install a patch to get multiplayer to work. Use EE lobby for multi and ingame system for LAN. Just played it for like 6 hours last night with a buddy.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So Tex Murphy: Overseer is finally here, and the newest promo is these three racing games for 50% off:

:siren: Also, this is the last chance to buy Colin McRae Rally 2005 at this price as it's being removed from the catalogue just like TOCA Race Driver 3 did a few months back.

Oh, and don't buy MegaRace 3 if you have fond memories of the first 2 games. It's loving terrible.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I bought Colin McRae 2005, along with Hostile Waters (I remember it being reviewed years ago and I thought it looked interesting).

al-azad posted:

Like now.
I'd love to see MechWarrior 2 and it's expansions released, but I doubt it will be because of licensing issues due to it being developed and published by Activision.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Charles Martel posted:

So Tex Murphy: Overseer is finally here

That should have been the most important thing they posted.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

SwissCM posted:

I'd love to see MechWarrior 2 and it's expansions released, but I doubt it will be because of licensing issues due to it being developed and published by Activision.

Mechwarrior 2 and the expansions will always be the pinnacle of the series for me. I used to play the poo poo out of it on Kali and when they released that stuff so you can build your own mech from the parts by editing some text files, it was a wrap.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Welp, I went ahead and bought Colin McRae Rally 2005 and Screamer earlier. Hooray, more poo poo I'll never get around to playing but I couldn't pass up a total of $8 for both games.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Lords of Magic: Special Edition is now on GOG for $5.99.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just as a reminder guys: This is the last day to buy Colin McRae Rally 2005 @ $4.99 before it goes back up to $9.99 and then gets taken of the catalogue completely in a couple days on Wednesday (the 29th)!

It's one of the best rally games out there, and it doesn't have horrible Starforce protection like the retail copy does. Definitely worth a fiver.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death has just been added and it's $5.99.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Blodskur posted:

That's $6 you'll be saving this week.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Holy hell, these guys have Knights and Merchants! I never thought I'd play that game again.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Blodskur posted:

Ugh. Don't buy this under any circumstances. Terrible.

Hootie Hoo
Nov 13, 2008

by angerbot
I'm really hoping that etherlords makes it to GOG at some point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Under a Killing Moon for under 10 bucks. Count me in.