Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's impossible to gimp yourself at all, at the end there's an opportunity to do all the side missions and such that you've missed. Just have fun with it.

It's also worth it to do the lessons as soon as possible as you not only get cool bonuses from completing them but you'll never be pestered to do them again, meaning you can roam around the school until your heart's content without having prefects on your rear end all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Umbilical Lotus posted:

Baldur's Gate 2

Why would you recommend players exploit on their first time though a game?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bully: The timing for Shop class is kind of goofy. Just give yourself a second to register what the button/motion they want is, and then start doing it. Art, Shop, Gym and Geography are the classes you really, really want to pass early. The upgrades for all 4 are exceedingly useful. Especially Art, which lets you double your health for free almost anytime when you ace it.

You can skitch on cars and trucks. It's a poor man's way into town, but it's a neat feature. Try and smash all the Halloween decorations when they first show up. You get a second chance, but it's not as fun.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 14, 2009

Lonnycakes
Jul 7, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

Rant over, any tips for FFTA2 for DS, i'm about 35 hours in and doing ok but was wondering what jobs i should be focussing on?

I must have thought I was responding to someone else's FFTA2 question because I definitely don't remember reading this.

So, to answer you, I would say that a lot of fights near the end of the game can be pretty challenging, so you want to start gearing up several of your characters for overpowered builds as soon as you can. By race:

- Get 2 Viera, and have them both learn the Spellblade "Bloodprice" ability. This allows them to use HP as MP. Set one of your Viera on a course to master the Red Mage & Summoner classes, and the other to master Assassin and Sniper. What you're looking for, ideally, is a Viera Red Mage that can Double-Cast Summons, and a high-speed Assassin that can spam her Ultima ability. It takes a lot of work, but they'll soon be racking up the most kills in your battles.

- A Hunter Gria with the Ravager's ability set will devastate enemies. Their speed and mobility is so much better compared to other races that you might want to have 2.

- For Humes, you'll want to focus on the Parivir, Ninja, Fighter, and Paladin. Blue Mages and casters can be fun but what you really want by late game is to have a few overpowered Parivirs with Geomancy (a Black Mage ability), or strong dual-wielders of the other classes.

- Moogle classes are gimmicky and not very useful by end-game. The best option is probably to limit your party to only one moogle (the NPC bard you get mid-game), have it master the Juggler class, and play support roles in battle by speeding up the turns of your more powerful units.

- Seeqs are another race with few useful options. Lanista and Berserker abilities are interesting (avoid Viking), but if you insist on using a Seeq keep it as a Ranger with the Item Lore ability and abuse its reverse item thing into the ground.

Edit:

- Completely forgot about the dumb Bangaa. I don't usually use them in any battles, but sometimes I drag Cid in as a Master Monk with Templar abilities, the Bangaa's 2 best skill sets.

Lonnycakes fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 14, 2009

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
For FFTA2, is there any downside to using the story characters as your main troops? Like, using Cid as your party Bangaa, for example? I assume that once they're in your roster, you can't lose them, but I must be sure. Also I think the moogle bard can't actually become a certain class, but I forget which, is this right?

Lonnycakes
Jul 7, 2009

Morpheus posted:

For FFTA2, is there any downside to using the story characters as your main troops? Like, using Cid as your party Bangaa, for example? I assume that once they're in your roster, you can't lose them, but I must be sure. Also I think the moogle bard can't actually become a certain class, but I forget which, is this right?

I had to open up my DS to check, and unless it's different in the NA version, the only class Hardy can't become is the nigh-useless Chocobo Knight.

Without consulting any FAQs I can't really say whether there's any downside to using story characters. They might actually have better stats than normal recruits, but if there are differences they sure don't matter. Just be sure to keep enough normal characters that you can send out the appropriate numbers/classes for specific missions. This is in mind, I retract my earlier comment about not keeping an extra moogle--there's a series of Chocobo quests that you NEED a Chocobo Knight for.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'm sure there have been quests that used other Moogle classes. But I suppose the point is that you want at least one normal recruit of every race. Even though you can't remove story characters from your party, some of them join you so late in the game that getting their abilities is too tiresome to bother with, and you'd be better off letting them sit at the back of your ranks permanently.

Lonnycakes fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 14, 2009

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I just picked up a PS3 and MGS4 from Craigslist, anything that I should do/avoid? I haven't played any sort of MGS since 2- it's been a while.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

areyoucontagious posted:

I just picked up a PS3 and MGS4 from Craigslist, anything that I should do/avoid? I haven't played any sort of MGS since 2- it's been a while.

Well, first of all I'd recommend playing MGS3. In fact, yes, do that, there are characters from 3 that make an appearance in 4, plus you get to see Ocelot when he was just a girly man, before Snake made him the badass he is today.

Other than that, MGS4 is pretty open-ended in how you can approach problems. Some things to remember:

- Unless I'm mistaken, taking out the bosses non-lethally means taking out their 'second form' (you'll know what I mean when you play it) non-lethally. You also get a little statue of them for doing this that appears in the area you defeated them, so take a look around before moving ahead.

- When in their second form, if you whip out your camera the bosses go into
photo shoot mode, which is...interesting.

- The camo is retardedly useful. With good enough camo enemies will not see you at all unless they bump into you.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Got Romancing Saga for the PS2, started as Hawke, did the intro, discovered that if I get into fights I'll 'progress' some counter which can lock me out of stuff if I get in too many fights. Anything else that would be really handy to know?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I couldn't find mention in this thread, but I heard that some of your party members die permanently in Dragon Quest 4 as part of the story. I think I would really like to know more about that before I go upgrading them with skill seeds etc. DS version, if it matters.

Edit: I'm also playing Contact on the DS. I remember that when I first picked it up ages ago, I got halfway through and found that there was a ton of stuff I really needed to know about near the beginning yet had no way of knowing about. That game is full of little secrets and recipes and quests and hidden crap. I can't remember any of them anymore except Potion Creation Is Very Useful, so can anyone give me some of the more major highlights?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 15, 2009

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Sorta a longshot for advice, but I just was doing some cleaning and found Skies of Arcadia: Legends. It's been forever since I last played it and barely remember anything besides liking it, any tips before I give it another go?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I just got given Oblivion on the 360 by a mate of mine who loved Fallout and thought he'd give it a try. He hated it. I'm looking for any kind of generic tips for it really. I know there is something wierd about the levelling that makes it possible for you to make the game impossible by accident, but I dont know much more than that.

I'm just out the starting dungeon, my character is an imperial warrior with the thief star sign, because I figured that would be a fairly simple character for my first play through.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

SiKboy posted:

I just got given Oblivion on the 360 by a mate of mine who loved Fallout and thought he'd give it a try. He hated it. I'm looking for any kind of generic tips for it really. I know there is something wierd about the levelling that makes it possible for you to make the game impossible by accident, but I dont know much more than that.

I'm just out the starting dungeon, my character is an imperial warrior with the thief star sign, because I figured that would be a fairly simple character for my first play through.

I am pretty sure this has been covered more in depth elsewhere in the thread, but here is what I remember.

You level up by advancing your 7 major skills. And the enemys scale with your level. What happens is if you take 7 skills that you end up using a lot, you will level up pretty fast, and then all the spawned enemys will beat the tar out of you because the rest of your skills are weak. In addition to this, your attributes increase based on how many total skill ranks you gained each level. So if all you do is get the 5 ranks in your major skills, your attributes will not go up much.

What this all means, is that you want to pick skills that you do not plan on using much or at all in order to let you level at your own pace. It results in the game being a bit grindy, as you actually have to put some effort into advancing the unused skills occasionally in order to gain levels.

As an example, the first (and only) time I played the game, I took what I thought would make the game easy. I tagged heavy armor, swords, alchemy, repair and a couple other skills I thought would be useful. I tended to wander off and explore a bunch, so I was pretty close to maxxed out before I got to the first Gate in the storyline. By then, each monster would take a couple minutes to kill, and I would be out of health and magic, and my armor would be in pretty sad shape. After each monster I would have to run away, heal up, and repair all my gear. It got to the point where I just set the difficulty to the minimum so it didn't take a couple of hours to clear out a single cave or gate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Corridor posted:

I couldn't find mention in this thread, but I heard that some of your party members die permanently in Dragon Quest 4 as part of the story. I think I would really like to know more about that before I go upgrading them with skill seeds etc. DS version, if it matters.
None of the playable characters die in the story. I can't remember if some of the NPCs that join your team every now and then die but then again you'd be foolish to give them upgrades anyway. Even if you did it probably wouldn't matter that much.

Dragon Quest V on the other hand had some playable characters who'd leave your party for good, IIRC.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

SiKboy posted:

Infodump!

Starting out:
The game will tell you that it's safer to travel by roads. This is a lie--you will probably get attacked by more bandits travelling by road than you would by just beelining through the wilderness.

BUT, when you're starting the game, it's a good idea to do a circuit of the roads around the Imperial City. You'll run into some good intro quests to get you started with some decent items and rewards.

Leveling:
As Orvin mentioned, the leveling system is ridiculously counter-intuitive. Ideally, you'll be racking up one or two +4 or +5 bonuses every time you level, but this can be highly unrealistic. It usually involves selecting skills you hate (like Unarmed) as major skills and repeatedly using them in really tedious fashions (like bludgeoning summoned skeletons to death) until you level up.

This can take a lot of fun out of the game, so many people recommend playing more naturally, and just picking skills you'll use as your major skills and leveling up whenever it happens. Again, the problem is that monsters scale up with your level, and so while you might not be racking up great modifiers, they will be. This will make them much harder to kill.

Skills:
- Repair: Personally, I think this is possibly one of the most critical skills in the game. Your armor and weapons will degrade at a stupendous rate, and prior to Journeyman (?) level in this skill, you won't be able to repair any magical items at all. You'll also go through repair hammers ridiculously fast. Make sure you focus on training this up ASAP.
- Alchemy: Don't underestimate this. There are ingredients everywhere and they're easy to harvest (unlike in Morrowind). They will be a lifesaver when you're in the middle of a dungeon and you've run out of spells/potions. Keep your alchemy set with you until you get a house to store it in, then start storing ingredients and creating potions more sparingly. Potions are also a great way, in the early game, of generating income.
- Theft: Morality doesn't function the same as Fallout. If no one sees you commit a crime, it didn't happen. So steal everything and steal often. Pick a town (or district if you're in the Imperial City) and during the day wander into the houses while they're unlocked to figure out which ones have the most valuables. Wait until midnight, then start robbing those homes blind. You will need to have joined the Thieves Guild in order to sell off all your ill-gotten loot.
- Most tasks you need to perform in the game can be done with one of two skills, either physical or magical. Good examples of this are Marksman/Destruction, Lockpicking/Alteration, and Speechcraft/Illusion. Since you technically only need one of each of those skills, figure out which one you prefer and ignore the other. Try not to double up on them, because you want to be advancing your preferred skills as fast as possible, which you won't do if you only use them half the time.

Quests:
- After completing the first main quest task upon leaving the intro dungeon, you will be directed to the city of Kvatch. You may or may not want to do this right away. Entering Kvatch will trigger a global event that causes hell-portals to open up all over the map. Since the enemies are scaled, they won't be insurmountable, just a growing nuisance. Avoiding Kvatch will forestall this indefinitely.
- In the village of Weye (just W of the Imperial City), Aelwin will ask you to get some slaughterfish scales for him. Your compass will point you to the fish (in succession), and they‘re a little difficult but not impossible (the hardest part is learning to fight while swimming). The reward is a water-breathing ring, ridiculously handy at this stage.
- In the village of Aleswell (N of the Imperial City), everyone is invisible. Speak to the innkeeper to get the quest, head to the nearby fort, find and speak to the wizard (he may be inside or outside), raise his disposition to 70+ (through bribes), get the scroll and the ring, return to town, equip the ring and cast the scroll. Speak to the innkeeper again for your reward: a permanent room in the inn with a container in which to store things. Much easier than saving up thousands of gold for a house.
- Speak to the count of Leyawiin; he’ll ask you to work with an Orcish knight and eventually get rid of some Black Bandits. If you complete all the tasks, you get ownership of the White Stallion Inn, a cheap place to rest and store things until you can afford a house.
- Find the Shrine of Azura (NNW of Cheydinhal) with an offering of glow dust. You’ll need to purchase the dust from an alchemist at low levels (since Will-o-Wisps don’t appear til later), but it should be fairly cheap. Azura’s quest will net you a soul gem that doesn’t disappear once you use the soul inside, and that can hold the highest level of souls.
- Speak to Jensine in the Imperial City Market District about Thoronir (you may have to ask some of the other shopkeepers about Rumours to unlock the topic). She’ll ask you to investigate him, and the quest is fairly straightforward, with an easy two-person fight at the end. You get a good resistance ring out of it (levelled, of course).
- Once you've reached level 10, find the Shrine of Nocturnal. Completing the quest will net you an unbreakable lockpick which pretty much breaks the game as far as money/equipment is concerned.

Factions:
- If you find yourself getting pulverized in dungeons, head to the Arena in the Imperial City and join up. You'll get combat experience and gold in small, manageable doses, and the Arena counts as a faction.
- The Thieves Guild should be joined as soon as possible. Just find a poster about the Gray Fox somewhere in the Imperial City, read it, and then head to the Waterfront aroun 11/11:30 at night. Find the garden with the low stone wall, and between 11:30 and midnight you should trigger the entrance to the Thieves Guild. If the guy won't talk to you, bribe him until his disposition is above 60 and he should let you in.
- If you plan on playing a magic user, speed through the recommendation quests in the outlying mage guilds. The sooner you gain access to the spellmaking altar in the arcane university, the better.
- To join the Assassin's Guild, you need to murder someone. This can be challenging to do without getting caught. Being able to sneak/backstab is useful, but try to find people no one will miss, like beggars or skooma addicts (you can find a houseful in Bravil).

General Gameplay:
- At first, disease will be a constant in most dungeons so be prepared. Bring potions or learn the spell. It can really destroy you if you're not ready.
- When picking someone’s pocket, they can catch you even if you don’t try to steal anything. So always make sure you’ve left sneak mode before “activating” someone to talk to them—otherwise you might accidentally get caught trying to pickpocket them.
- Always keep a silver or magical weapon on you. Some monsters (like ghosts) will be immune to normal weapons, so you’ll need a silver or magically enchanted weapon to hurt them. Keep in mind that if you have a magic weapon with no charge, it will still bypass their damage resistance. Eventually, Daedric weapons will also do the trick, but you won’t run into those until level 18+.
- Make sure you have some method of restoring attributes, primarily Strength, Intelligence, Endurance and Speed. All of those will often get drained or damaged by enemies, and they can severely impact your combat skills, depending on what class you are. You can accomplish this via potions or spells, but constantly trudging back to the altar in town will soon become annoying.
- If you back away as your enemy swings at you, he’ll miss and stumble. This will provide a better opportunity for you to attack than if you’d stood still and taken the blow, or even blocked it with your shield.
- Your attacks will do less damage if your weapons are not at full health. Be sure to repair on the fly as much as possible. A general rule of thumb is to check your gear after every second or third fight (unless you’re killing rats, or sneak-killing enemies in one hit).

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Astfgl posted:

Oblivion
Your attacks will do less damage if your weapons are not at full health. Be sure to repair on the fly as much as possible. A general rule of thumb is to check your gear after every second or third fight (unless you’re killing rats, or sneak-killing enemies in one hit).

Also, fatigue is very important. If you are exhausted you will do near-nothing for damage and become staggered more often when you are hit, if memory serves. Luckily you regain fatigue even when running around in the middle of combat. Pots of restore fatigue over a length of time are really helpful for managing this.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Thanks guys, thats incredibly helpful!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any tips for the Advance Wars series?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Anyone have advice for the GBA Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? I just started getting into it, and I keep swapping around classes and changing my mind. I wasted a lot of time training the main character into a black mage before I realized his magic stat and MP were too low to be effective.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What's some good tips for the original Fallout. I played halfway into the game years ago, so I know about both time limits, but what are some good tips and mods to use to maximized the play experience.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Rirse posted:

What's some good tips for the original Fallout. I played halfway into the game years ago, so I know about both time limits, but what are some good tips and mods to use to maximized the play experience.

Someone else will have to chime in with mods but my best piece of advice is this: play a character you think will be fun to play and don't read any guides or anything. Fallout is designed to A) have multiple solutions to each quest and B) simulate, at least on some level, the feeling of desolation that comes with living in a post nuclear world. If you just follow the hints and wander around you'll have a much better time, I think.

If you want actual POWER CHARACTER POWER STAT advice:

Agility is the best stat because it gives you more actions per round.
Intelligence is important too for any kind of dialog focused character.
Don't bother putting much into strength. See that guy on the title screen? He's wearing power armor. When you get it you get a +4 to strength.
Small guns own in the beginning, energy weapons in the end but you can
make any combination work.
Lockpicking is useful. Speech is super useful.
If you can pull off the shot, the best place to aim is the eyes.

If you enjoy Fallout 1, I heartily recommend Fallout 2. The story is a little poorer but there is so much more to do it's amazing. It's my favorite PC game.

freshlenin
Apr 20, 2007

Rirse posted:

^^^ Good advice

I've never used any mods, but I THINK there is a resolution patch for Fallout. As for tips I would suggest that you don't gimp your intelligence unless you want extremely limited dialogue choices. Speech is probably the best skill, and pickpocket and lockpick both come in handy depending on whether you want to be a goody-good or a little morally ambiguous. Towards the end of the game you will probably want an energy weapon or a big gun, but if you play it right you can kill everyone with a small gun. Melee is a viable choice as long as you are able to get your hands on some decent gear via theft or quests. The time limit thing shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you don't needlessly wander between locations. Called shots are the way to go. Shoot everyone in the eyes if you have a decent chance to hit.

There are two perks, one that gives you a bonus to your skills and one that gives you a bonus to your attributes. I'm pretty sure they're both a waste unless you plan on doing a speed run. They end up robbing you of perks and skill points later on in the game, which is really when the difficulty starts to ramp up. Also, 10 agility is awesome. I wouldn't suggest going anywhere below 8.

Save often, there's a lot of stuff that can kill you very easily, and the random encounters can be brutal if you aren't prepared.

freshlenin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 16, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Capsaicin posted:

Which one? The tactics are a little bit different in each one.

Make sure you don't lose units, it's cheaper to repair them. Make sure you utterly destroy enemy units so they can't repair them.

In some of the games there are missions that are unlocked by capturing special buildings. Those will unlock units that are otherwise only usable by black hole.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Recently started playing Grid, seems pretty straightforward so far but I thought I'd ask here for any advice.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Capsaicin posted:

If you select a unit and hold down B it will show their range of attack. You always want to strike first, so use that feature to keep your units out of enemy range until you're ready to attack.

Lonnycakes
Jul 7, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

I don't generally play strategy games, but I've played the crap out of Advance Wars after I borrowed the games from a friend. But still, perseverance is most of what pulled me through the games, so please take my advice lightly.

First 3 games

- Abuse the crap out of COs with attack power advantages. COs like Andy and Sami are interesting to use once in a while (and you're forced to use them occasionally), but "average" COs or those with multiple unit handicaps force you into playing more careful, longer games. So while it may seem lame to try to bully your way through matches with COs like Max and Jesse, it's sometimes surprisingly easier. It's a matter of choosing who has the best attack advantages for whichever map.

- Take as many cities as possible as fast as possible. Use the funds to pump out the most expensive units and rub the enemies into the ground with them.

- Use multiple save files and save often. Save in battle. If you lose, either your strategy needs an overhaul or you need to shuffle your COs.

- In Dual Strike, one enemy Tag Team power can be game-changing. Watch the enemy COs' Star Power and try not to let them both reach Max when you're at a major disadvantage. This usually means playing ultra-defensively, moving units out of harm's way or even holding your own punches for a turn or two while you build up defenses or capture more bases.

Days of Ruin

I'll pass on giving any advice for this because the last battle is still kicking my rear end. I refuse to seek a FAQ for it, but it may take me a few more months of spontaneous attempts to beat.

Phentotype posted:

Anyone have advice for the GBA Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? I just started getting into it, and I keep swapping around classes and changing my mind. I wasted a lot of time training the main character into a black mage before I realized his magic stat and MP were too low to be effective.

It's been a long time since I've played FFTA, but as far as the main character goes, you definitely want him keep him to physical classes. Fighter, Ninja, and Paladin abilities are all great ones for him to pick up. I think a Paladin build is the most popular with him.

Other good classes to shoot for are a mastered Blue Mage, Sniper (sub-Assassin), Red Mage (sub-Summoner), Fighter, Gunner (sub-Juggler), Templar (sub-Defender).

You can't go wrong with these kinds of builds, just be sure to have an idea early on what you're aiming for with a character, as jobs control stat-growth. So keep a physical character away from leveling up in magical jobs as much as possible, and vice versa.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders

The Big Three: You as Infantry, Archers, Cavalry. You will practically always have these. And given you only get 4 main unit slots and 2 support slots maximum, that doesn't allow much variety. Focus on a few generals rather than many.

The Paladin ability Holy Explosion is VERY powerful-it increases the defence of Paladins to absurd levels, as well as a little regeneration. They suck without it, so always have it up when possible.

In Lucretia's Campaign, buy and train up a second archer unit and lightning magician. Better yet, use the new archer instead of the one you're given. Plot will take the ones you're given at the WORST possible time.

Also in Lucretia's Campaign, make sure Morene's Curse skill is higher than Cirith's Lightning skill. Elemental Boost takes the highest magic skill for the boost, and Curse is a massively powerful debuff as a Boost.

Giving a character magic will add that element, and it's side effects(Poison, Freeze, Burn, etc) to their attacks and specials, with it's strength increasing with magic skill level. This means little to field units(Save with Dark Elves and Elemental Boost), but with those units attached to your commander, it can add a significant chunk of damage to their assists and hurt the enemy in other ways besides.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 16, 2009

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What perks are worth using for Fallout 1. Bloody Mess has no negative results, plus you get to kill the Overseer. When I first played the game, I used the perk that makes you hit harder, but takes away manual aiming on the enemy parts. I do know how the story flows in Fallout 1, but I still never completed it.

Funny how I beat Fallout 3 twice, but never finished the previous titles.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Rirse posted:

What perks are worth using for Fallout 1. Bloody Mess has no negative results, plus you get to kill the Overseer. When I first played the game, I used the perk that makes you hit harder, but takes away manual aiming on the enemy parts. I do know how the story flows in Fallout 1, but I still never completed it.

The only one that's overall good imo is the one that gives +1 all stats/-10% all skills and -5 skill points per level (gifted i think). The similar (or opposite. whatever) that gives more skills but less perks is terrible though.
Most of the other ones are designed for specific builds or play styles i guess, like kamikaze and bruiser etc. It's mostly pretty obvious what they're intended for from the description. Bloody mess is pretty funny and jinxed is also great if you have really high luck (everyone will blow themselves up)

About mods: I think there is a mod that makes the UI/game behaviour the same as fallout 2. Get that one. In unmodded fallout 1 you can't make your party members move out of your way which is a huge pain since you'll basically be waiting for your guys to move away from that loving door half of the playing time. There's some fixpacks and stuff you might want to pick up, but it's not really important. Stay away from the content mods though as they're all complete garbage. Unless you really dig embarrasing fan fiction i guess

freshlenin
Apr 20, 2007

Rirse posted:

Bloody Mess has no negative but the rest do. Small frame is a decent choice. The only thing negatively affected is your carry weight, but a free point of agility is gained. As long as you have a follower you can have them carry all your crap.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Sorta a longshot for advice, but I just was doing some cleaning and found Skies of Arcadia: Legends. It's been forever since I last played it and barely remember anything besides liking it, any tips before I give it another go?

Pyrocat made a nice post about this game for me a few pages back:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post362755839

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

Nocturne Sabre posted:

Recently started playing Grid, seems pretty straightforward so far but I thought I'd ask here for any advice.

I posted some stuff a bunch of pages back, but I don't feel like hunting it down, so I'll briefly hit the salient points.

• Try to stay out of the way of the A.I., because they'll slam into your poo poo and send you hurtling off the course at a million miles per hour at a moment's notice. This also goes for your wingman/backup driver.

• The A.I. rubberbands a bit, but you can actually build up a strong enough lead that you can make some mistakes as the first-place driver and lose nothing but some buffer space.

• Incidentally, you need a good teammate, because there are a lot of races that are scored by team, and you're not winning that even if you get every first place if Ravenwest is consistently landing both second and third.

• Always do Le Mans. If you can't afford a car, drive another team's. The reputation and money you gain are exceptionally useful.

• Try to have the nicest car usable in a race. It really, really makes a difference.

• You can't have difference sponsors on your car and your teammate's car, so consider carefully whether it makes sense to have sponsors that demand, for example, a first-place finish, because only one of you is getting it.

• Be careful when you're using your Instant Replay that you back up far enough to allow you to avoid the crash. When you restart from a point in the past, I don't think you can rewind past that point with a subsequent use of Instant Replay- so if you get stuck, you're hosed.

• The physics are unrealistic, but largely consistent. The good thing is that you can learn how to drive the cars and do cool poo poo with them. The bad thing is that you don't get good with them by expecting them to behave like real cars.

Grid isn't a hard game, honestly. It's a gradual progression toward a greater goal, regardless as to whether you're a first-place winner in every race or just a consistent second- and third-place contender.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I'll touch on some things that I don't think have been mentioned yet about some of these games.

MGS 4 I really don't want to spoil this game, so just these general tips:

-don't worry too much about not being seen/not getting kills the first time through the game. It's pretty fun.

-any rewards you get at the end of the game will transfer to all difficulties (as in: if you get the stealth camouflage on easy, you can use it on hard). This means that just about all of the ranks/rewards can be achieved on easy, except for the very high ranks (foxhound, etc).

-The mosin nagant can only be bought from Drebin.

-any weapons you get in previous runthroughs will be available on subsequent runthroughs. You need to load from your game cleared save and play until you meet the Mk. II.

-In act 3, you can wear any non-snake octocamo mask, and as long as you don't have your gun drawn, the resistance member won't run away from you on sight. With the otacon mask, you can even walk right past the PMC guards.

-auto aim sucks and is generally not fun, but it is fun in the bike chase scene in act 3. You won't want to use it the rest of the game, but you will want to use it here.

-it is kind of hard to tell the different factions apart on the battlefield. The Solid Eye, if equipped, will indicate what faction someone in your field of view belongs to by the color of the name. That faction's disposition toward you is indicated by the colored badge to the left of the name.

-if you are doing a no kill run, try these helpful hints: 1). don't shoot FROG soldiers if they are on the wall. 2). the powered suits at the end of act 2 can be brought down with vortex ring ammo from a shotgun. 3). beast forms of the b&b unit can be brought down lethally and will not count as a kill.

-Drebin guns are a lot cheaper if you buy them in act 5.

Valkyria Chronicles

-Shocktroopers, when elite, can take down tanks by hitting them in the radiator. I went through the game like 2 times before I found this out.

-You never really have to move your snipers (if you use them). The most you would have to do is retreat them at a base and deploy them at another base. EDIT: Also, you may want to hide your sniper at the end of their turn, because they die easily and will be targeted if seen by the enemy!

-Retreat/deploy can be used on the same unit in the same turn, which is a turn faster than having them return to the map after being killed and evacuated.

-Listening to Cherry never really gets old.

-You almost never need to move the Shamrock.

-The Edelweiss' best feature is the ISARA smoke, and that is critical to remember when trying for the A-ranks.

-When you travel back to headquarters, stop at the cemetery FIRST. This is because the old man has orders available to you by random chance...if you go to the training field and level up first, you will be out of EXP and who knows when the old man will be offering the same particular order.

Hearts of Iron II

-the manual is available as an 88 page PDF and explains a lot, although it is pretty cheesy to read.

-When you occupy enemy territory, provinces will have partisan activity that drains your TC really severely. Garrison units with MP brigades attached and set on anti-partisan duty are the best way to stifle those loving partisans. You can build a million of these divisions; they are super cheap, effective, and worth their weight in gold if you are playing a land war.

-It might be worth it for you to build nothing but factories in all of your developed provinces for the first year for extra TC later on in the war. It is a tossup, but I almost always do this.

-As far as intelligence is concerned, you are best served by maxing out your territory with anti intelligence spies, rather than spying on other countries. You will just end up getting aggravated, and knowing what the enemy is researching doesn't really give you much of an advantage. Just keep the spies in other countries as they are at the beginning of the game and never mess with them.

-If you are going to fight in the ocean, you need to research your naval units early, because they take forever to build.

-Don't research anything more than a year before the actual research happened in the real world...there is a severe time penalty if you do this.

-Your instinct may be to spend a lot on battleships in your navy...almost always you should instead focus on aircraft carriers. Your offensive battlegroups will almost always be more effective if they are based around carriers rather than battleships.

-You don't need as many tanks as you think you do!

-You don't need as many marines as you think you do!

-Pay attention to whomever is in charge of your units! My advice is to turn off the auto-assign general feature, otherwise you will end up with Rommel buttfucking partisans in France while some rubber-stamp idiot is getting your tanks killed in Russia.

-You can promote generals to higher ranks yourself if you want to, but the generals will lose some of their effectiveness. You would be better served letting the game decide when to promote.

-HQ units are awesome, but make sure that you don't put them in stacks that you are going to use to attack another province with...in fact, keep them 1 province behind the front lines and have an AA brigade attached to the HQ unit. Their effective radius extends all the way to the province your offensive units are attacking, if they attack from 1 province away from the HQ unit.

-Ground attack bombing really works best on units that are retreating.

-You are going to eliminate many more enemy divisions by breaking through and encircling than you are by attacking on a broad front!

-Paratroopers are incredibly difficult to use, develop, and research. You might want to avoid them altogether.

-HOI 3 is being released in August of 09. It is going to kick rear end.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 16, 2009

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Homeworld 2

Towards the end of the single player campaign there are a few fights where you can be fighting 6+ battlecruisers at once. Bombers are absolutely key here--have your bombers start taking out the engines of the enemy battlecruisers, then the heavy missile bays. At the same time have your cap ships shimmy to the side while attacking the battlecruisers your bombers haven't attacked yet. What happens is that you roll out of the way of the main guns on the crippled Vaygr battlecruisers (which gently caress poo poo up) and destroy the battlecruisers that are still functional while your bombers cripple the rest.

Seriously, destroying 6 battlecruisers + Dreadnaught with 2 battlecruisers + your Dreadnaught without losing a single cap ship is pretty awesome.

Also, I beat that game before the patch and just recently replayed it. I remembered it being so much god damned harder and I guess I wasn't imagining that since apparently the patch made it easier. I remember working on one mission for several days my first play through, poo poo was completely insane.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
So I'm trying to get more into old PC games. I just bought Jagged Alliance 1 and I "bought" Beneath a Steel Sky off GOG.com. I've never played a PC tactical RPG in my life (although I've played plenty of them on consoles) and I've never been good at the point-and-clickers. Anything I should know?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Any hints to not completely sucking at Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles? I thought I'd do okay at it since I play a lot of Wii light gun games, but it's kicking my rear end (I was barely able to beat the RE0 section on Easy).

And anything I need to know about the Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker? I just beat the first real dungeon, and I think I have the game down okay, but from glancing at an FAQ there's no way I'm going to bother with a lot of the sidequests, but if there's anything I definitely should do, it'd be good to know.

While I'm at it, I'm a good way into Mario Galaxy, and everything seems self-explanatory, but if there's something I need to know, I might as well ask.

Also Sonic CD if possible, although I'm not really enjoying it that much (definitely not as good as Sonic 2), but I may consider playing it more seeing as everything else on the Sonic Gems Collection is basically garbage.

Yes I buy/play way too many games at the same time (Gamestop has a 3 for 2 sale going on). Umbrella Chronicles is the one that's really kicking my rear end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Umbrella Chronicles: Be two people. Seriously. I'm almost certain the game is balanced for two players, not one, so it's stupidly hard on single player, but nicely challenging and fun with another person.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Twitch posted:

And anything I need to know about the Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker? I just beat the first real dungeon, and I think I have the game down okay, but from glancing at an FAQ there's no way I'm going to bother with a lot of the sidequests, but if there's anything I definitely should do, it'd be good to know.

:siren: The most important thing is to learn the Ballad of Gales immediately after getting the bow and arrows. It allows you to teleport to certain points on the Great Sea and cuts down your sea travel time a lot. :siren:

Wind Waker isn't that hard, so if you don't want to do the side quests, it's okay. I would reccomend that you try to find all of the Great Fairies for bomb/arrow/magic upgrades, though. If you do nothing else, look up where to get the Rupee wallet upgrades because you're going to need space for a lot of rupees later on.

There's one part of Wind Waker that everyone gets pissed off at later on, it's basically a fetch quest. Just tough it out, the end of the game is great.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

glod posted:

:siren: The most important thing is to learn the Ballad of Gales immediately after getting the bow and arrows. It allows you to teleport to certain points on the Great Sea and cuts down your sea travel time a lot. :siren:

Wind Waker isn't that hard, so if you don't want to do the side quests, it's okay. I would reccomend that you try to find all of the Great Fairies for bomb/arrow/magic upgrades, though. If you do nothing else, look up where to get the Rupee wallet upgrades because you're going to need space for a lot of rupees later on.

There's one part of Wind Waker that everyone gets pissed off at later on, it's basically a fetch quest. Just tough it out, the end of the game is great.

Yeah, I'll do those sidequests, those actually sound okay (and so far the sailing is fun enough that the big fetch quest doesn't sound too bad). I mean the poo poo like collecting photographs and "find these rear end in a top hat kids for 30 rupees". I probably won't bother getting 100% heart containers my first time through this game either, seeing as I never did in either LttP or OoT, and have beaten those without dying (on later playthroughs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Twitch posted:

While I'm at it, I'm a good way into Mario Galaxy, and everything seems self-explanatory, but if there's something I need to know, I might as well ask.

In case you didn't know this already, unlike the other Mario game, it's worth getting every star. It's also very possible - a couple of them can be a bit annoying but there are tricks that you can help with them if you get really stuck, and the rest are pretty easy.

Also, prepare to be dissapointed when the best power up in the game is horribly underused. Just don't get too excited about finding new powerups.