Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Colour motion picture stock needs to be developed differently than standard c-41, and unless you have a decent amount of disposable income and live near one of the few labs that can process it, I wouldn't recommend trying it (as much as I wish I could shoot it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!
So I got a Yashica-Mat 124G for ~$100 as a potential gift for my brother. Anything special I should check out? Is the meter worth trying to get running, given that it was made for mercury batteries?

(picture from the seller)

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:

Snaily posted:

So I got a Yashica-Mat 124G for ~$100...

Where did you pick this up?

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Leyendecker posted:

Where did you pick this up?

The Swedish equivalent of eBay, Tradera.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window

Reichstag posted:

Colour motion picture stock needs to be developed differently than standard c-41, and unless you have a decent amount of disposable income and live near one of the few labs that can process it, I wouldn't recommend trying it (as much as I wish I could shoot it).

Gnomad posted:

If it's like the film Seattle Film Works was using, it's going to be hard to get developed because of the coating that clogs C41 machines and the contrast might be sort of flat. Research would be critical.
If it was black and white, I'd say go for it, not so sure about color though.
edit-I googled the heck out of Fuji 8551/F250T and found nothing useful. TBH I don't know if I'd bother with the stuff.
Bummer, but glad I asked you guys anyways, would've wasted my money. Thanks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I just got my Spotmatic F with a SMC Takumar f/1.4 50mm (non-fluted focus ring). I paid $80 + shipping off ebay. Couple things I'm not sure about. There's a small dial to let you tell it what film type is in it (black and white, color, tungsten-balanced), and a dial to let you tell the camera if it has 20 or 36 exposure film inside. I'm assuming these are purely to help you remember what film is in what body and completely nonfunctional? The build quality seems miles above my K1000 or ME Super. Not as many features as the ME Super, but very simple controls. For the first time I noticed there's a shutter-cocked indicator on all my cameras.

I'm currently excited about it. I probably overpaid a bit but the lens is spotless and snappy. I can't wait to give it a try. :3:

How many open-aperture M42 lenses are out there? I have two other generic M42 lenses that came with my (cheap) K1000 I bought, but neither are open-aperture, and I'm guessing I will be pretty much restricted to SMC-Takumar if I want it. Thankfully the Spotmatic F still has the right controls to stop down the aperture.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just as a heads-up to the Vancouver goons, someone on Craigslist is selling a sweet Nikon F3HP package:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pho/1264793598.html

The body alone in EX condition goes for $299USD on KEH, so this is actually a pretty good deal considering you won't have to pay shipping, taxes or duty. If I had the money, I'd totally jump on it.

TokenBrit
May 7, 2007
Irony isn't something that's like metal.
I'm just heading off to the darkroom to make some prints, quite excited about it, it's been a while.

To that end, is anybody interested in a print exchange? It would almost certainly have to be international. I'd like it to be a film thing (and darkroom prints) so I'm posting it here first, but if there's no interest I'll stick it in the General Photography thread and open it up to everyone. Perhaps I'll do that anyway if this is a success.

I think we'd need at least 5 people to make it worthwhile. If there's enough firm interest I'll start a dedicated thread.

TokenBrit fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 12, 2009

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I would be interested, but I wont have access to a darkroom until the end of august. I also haven't made a print in years but ive been shooting a lot of film and cant wait to start again.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I did just pick up a Beseler 23C at a yard sale ($6) and it's time to fire that bad boy up. Like a lot of us I would imagine, I haven't made a wet print in a couple decades but I was able to wind film on a reeel and make that work, a print should be like falling off a bicycle, you never forget how to do that.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, I really miss darkroom printing, but I have no room at my place to set up an enlarger and such. :(

Though on a brighter note, I picked up several rolls of film for $17 at Freestyle Photo... HP5+ 120, Portra 400NC 120, LegacyPro 400/Neopan 400 135, Arista Premium 400/Tri-X 135, and Pro 800Z 120. Thank God for student discounts.
I figured I'd grab a roll of 800Z to shoot off before it's all gone; supposedly, Fujifilm's stopping production for 800Z. I also have a roll of 800Z in 135 that I bought a while ago, but I think I'll save both for later.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Speaking of darkroom stuff, I'm about to pick up a Durst M305 enlarger for $15... hopefully it's not a tremendous piece of poo poo.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well, shot a concert with the Mamiya 645 tonight. Ran it with HP5 at 3200 on the 80mm f/1.9. It wasn't too bad. Kind of hard to tell if it was focused or not compared to the Pentax Super Program I was also using because the Super Program's microprisms and rangefinder prisms are larger and easier to see in low light. I know the 80mm f/1.9 isn't the sharpest lens in the world at wide open, but hopefully the size of the negative will help make up for that.

When I started out with the Super Program with the small 50mm f/1.7, people were looking at me kind of funny, but when I pulled out this huge camera next, you would have thought I had grown a third arm the way they were looking at me after that.

Should be fun to see what comes out of the tank tomorrow when I develop the film.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL you're the seedy underbelly of concert photography :)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

HPL you're the seedy underbelly of concert photography :)

Heh. No, the true seedy underbelly is the guy that only shows up when there's a band with a woman in it. Seriously, every friggin' time. It's creepy.

I checked around for aftermarket focusing screens. Brightscreen makes a sweet screen with a larger split prism and microprism collar and you can get it in diagonal split prism which is mega cool. It would be absolutely perfect. Unfortunately it's $280 for the 645 version. :(

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I snatched an S-M-C Takumar 135mm f/3.5 for $16 to go with the Spotmatic and the SMC Tak 50mm f/1.4. Snappy aperture, came with the hood and a Hoya 1a filter. It's also a later model with the open aperture system.

I wonder how this lens will shoot.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 15, 2009

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

Heh. No, the true seedy underbelly is the guy that only shows up when there's a band with a woman in it. Seriously, every friggin' time. It's creepy.

I checked around for aftermarket focusing screens. Brightscreen makes a sweet screen with a larger split prism and microprism collar and you can get it in diagonal split prism which is mega cool. It would be absolutely perfect. Unfortunately it's $280 for the 645 version. :(

Did you check KEH? I got a brightscreen for maybe $180, used. Split prism is straight across, though...

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

I'm watching a Canon QL17 GIII on eBay, the person selling it doesn't seem to know much about it and I don't know heaps about their specific operation. Is there any instructions that I can give her for her to test it out to any degree? Just so I can at least make sure I'm not starting a bidding war on a camera with a broken shutter or sticky aperture blades etc.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

trueblue posted:

I'm watching a Canon QL17 GIII on eBay, the person selling it doesn't seem to know much about it and I don't know heaps about their specific operation. Is there any instructions that I can give her for her to test it out to any degree? Just so I can at least make sure I'm not starting a bidding war on a camera with a broken shutter or sticky aperture blades etc.

I've got one but the light meter is wonky. It won't respond to changing of the film ISO speed. The film advance is a tad iffy too, sometimes frames overlap, but that's not something you can just ask an eBay seller to test.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

trueblue posted:

I'd stay away, personally. The "this was my dad's, he passed away and i don't kno much about cameras so selling as-is" QL17's only sell for like $20 less than one that's been tested and well-described.

Edit: Either way, $40-60 seems to be the going rate.

TokenBrit
May 7, 2007
I've just got my 5"x4" slides back from a recent trip. I'll post some up in here, but I want to make some prints.

Been looking at Cibachromes... I've got access to the equipment, got a supplier sorted... This isn't going to be cheap.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Snaily posted:

So I got a Yashica-Mat 124G for ~$100 as a potential gift for my brother. Anything special I should check out? Is the meter worth trying to get running, given that it was made for mercury batteries?

I found a MAt 124G at a garage sale for $50, talked them down to $30-TBH I'd have paid the $50 but people always leave some bargaining room on the more expensive items.
About that meter-I used a modern EPX625 and checked the meter against my Gossen Luna-Pro. My target came up as f5.6, 125th at asa100 on the Gossen, so I adjusted the asa on the 124 to match, mine came in at 50 asa. So yes, you can use the meter with alkaline batteries, keep in mind that the voltage will drop off differently so it wouldn't hurt to check before important shoots.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Gnomad posted:

I found a MAt 124G at a garage sale for $50, talked them down to $30-TBH I'd have paid the $50 but people always leave some bargaining room on the more expensive items.
About that meter-I used a modern EPX625 and checked the meter against my Gossen Luna-Pro. My target came up as f5.6, 125th at asa100 on the Gossen, so I adjusted the asa on the 124 to match, mine came in at 50 asa. So yes, you can use the meter with alkaline batteries, keep in mind that the voltage will drop off differently so it wouldn't hurt to check before important shoots.

Yeah, that's what I planned to do. Turns out I'd forgotten to update my address, so the camera is on the other side of the country right now - I'd have compared it to my Nikon F2 by now, otherwise. It'll mostly shoot B&W, so I can deal with the meter being a stop off.

In other news, I played with a coworkers Hasselblad 500C/M last week. I am now broken forever.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Snaily posted:

In other news, I played with a coworkers Hasselblad 500C/M last week. I am now broken forever.

You have 2 kidneys and really only need 1. Just a thought.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Gnomad posted:

You have 2 kidneys and really only need 1. Just a thought.

I could probably afford one - hell, they're less than $1000.

Then I have to choose between redundancy in Hasselblad:s or kidneys.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Snaily posted:

I could probably afford one - hell, they're less than $1000.

Then I have to choose between redundancy in Hasselblad:s or kidneys.

The thing about Hassys is it's not the body that kills you, it's the lenses. That's why I went with Mamiya.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
Well, I acquired 2 rolls of Kodachrome 64 for my trip to Honolulu and the big island. Took 3 weeks to arrive from Freestyle and I had to buy the professional version. I plan to put it through a Minolta SRT101 and pretend it's 1968.

I've also acquired the new 50mm Voigtlander Nokton f/1.1. I plan to put it on my MP and I will post a report about it in a couple of weeks when I get back.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

killabyte posted:

I've also acquired the new 50mm Voigtlander Nokton f/1.1. I plan to put it on my MP and I will post a report about it in a couple of weeks when I get back.

I a so jealous, you have no idea.

Just shot some plus-x and can't wait to soup it (first time trying it with diafine).

TokenBrit
May 7, 2007

TokenBrit posted:

I'm just heading off to the darkroom to make some prints, quite excited about it, it's been a while.

To that end, is anybody interested in a print exchange? It would almost certainly have to be international. I'd like it to be a film thing (and darkroom prints) so I'm posting it here first, but if there's no interest I'll stick it in the General Photography thread and open it up to everyone. Perhaps I'll do that anyway if this is a success.

I think we'd need at least 5 people to make it worthwhile. If there's enough firm interest I'll start a dedicated thread.

I've decided to stop being an art snob and open it up to everybody. Nothing to do with insufficient demand!

New thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3173676

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

killabyte posted:

Well, I acquired 2 rolls of Kodachrome 64 for my trip to Honolulu and the big island. Took 3 weeks to arrive from Freestyle and I had to buy the professional version. I plan to put it through a Minolta SRT101 and pretend it's 1968.

Mmm, Kodachrome...

I have 7 rolls on the way right now, and most of my free time is spent trying to figure out how best to use them before the end of 2010 (not really, but I'm definitely waiting for something special). Post the results when you get back!

TokenBrit
May 7, 2007

penneydude posted:

Mmm, Kodachrome...

I have 7 rolls on the way right now, and most of my free time is spent trying to figure out how best to use them before the end of 2010 (not really, but I'm definitely waiting for something special). Post the results when you get back!

I've got 5. I'm shooting 4 this summer and saving one for something special. I'm promising myself that I'm not going to hoard it past October 2010 for the sake of it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

killabyte posted:

f 1.1? Christ. You lucky bastard. My lowest is f. 1.4 for the Canon t70 I have.

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
Any word on how the Polaroid Impossible Project is coming along? They should be wrapping up by the end of the year right?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just a heads-up:

ItsReallyDarren posted:

Just got off the phone with Freestyle. Called about a previous order and remembered that they were supposed to receive a shipment of Kodachrome from Kodak today. The representative said they are supposed to get 1000 rolls of KR64 and 300 rolls of PKR64.

They are taking pre-orders and roughly 700 of KR64 is already spoken for. There was also a brief mention of the potential of future shipments of Kodachrome if Kodak has any more left.

I put in an order for a few rolls. Thought this info might be useful for anyone thinking of picking up some too. They also are not inflating prices, for KR64 each roll costs about $8.09. That's the price I remember but I might be a few cents off. PKR64 comes in around $13.
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76991

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Holy poo poo I am IN LOVE with 160 UC. Look at these fuckin' colors:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tigertron posted:

Any word on how the Polaroid Impossible Project is coming along? They should be wrapping up by the end of the year right?

I realize there's a ton of undocumented/trade secret knowledge and it's a total pipedream (see: the other Chrome that got picked up and flopped, I think it was Afgachrome) but I wish someone would pick up Kodachrome's formula/processing and run with it.

I really don't see how it would be that terribly expensive if you ran a massive loving batch of it, froze the master rolls, and spooled off film once a year or two.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Plus-X in Diafine trip report: Very little curling. I expected a lot from using Tri-X and was surprised when I had a flat strip right after it dried.
Doesn't have the extreme pushability of TX in Diafine, but I think I really like it, gonna try shooting the next roll half at 200, half at 400.
Shot at EI 320:

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

f 1.1? Christ. You lucky bastard. My lowest is f. 1.4 for the Canon t70 I have.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I'm in love with high speed lenses, especially rangefinder ones, because they are so much easier to focus in the dark . The Nokton f/1.1 is about $9000 cheaper than the 50mm noctilux f/0.95, and about $3500 cheaper than a used Noctilux.

My next purchase may be a converted Canon f/0.95 TV lens. We will see.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
How about one of those Nokton 50mm f/1.1 lenses on an Epson R-D1? :fap: Oops, wrong thread. :v:

I'm doing a photography class, they want 10 rolls of non-C41/CN process b&w film. They suggest Tmax 400 or 100, I'm thinking Tri-X 400. It looks like B&H for $3.59 per roll is the best deal? I always hear about grey market film but I have no idea where to actually find it, it says USA in the description.

I've never developed or done prints before, this should be interesting. I'm buying a box of 100 Ilford Multigrade-IV Deluxe RC Pearl 8x10s, but I don't really know much about printing.
v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm doing a photography class, they want 10 rolls of non-C41/CN process b&w film. They suggest Tmax 400 or 100, I'm thinking Tri-X 400. It looks like B&H for $3.59 per roll is the best deal? I always hear about grey market film but I have no idea where to actually find it, it says USA in the description.

Get the Arista Premium 400 from Freestyle Photo. It's repackaged Tri-X and it's cheaper. Ilford HP5+ is the poo poo too. I'd say it's better than Tri-X. I shoot both Arista Premium 400 and HP5+ extensively and they're both good, versatile films that are easy to develop.