Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Simkin posted:

Am I going straight to hell for never having replaced a single crush washer on any vehicle when doing an oil change ... ever?

If you are I'll be right there with you. In my opinion, crush washers don't need to be changed until they leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

frozenphil posted:

If you are I'll be right there with you. In my opinion, crush washers don't need to be changed until they leak.

Yea well problem with that attitude is you are needing to tighten the bolt more and more each time. Depending on the thread material, you could be about 1/8th turn from ripping out all the threads one day.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Yea well problem with that attitude is you are needing to tighten the bolt more and more each time. Depending on the thread material, you could be about 1/8th turn from ripping out all the threads one day.

I guess myself and everyone I know are all just extremely lucky since we've never ripped out threads doing an oil change. Once you crush a crush washer down it isn't going to crush anymore if you use the same torque value.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I never used to use a new one on my car, I don't think I had anything between the drain plug and pan in fact. I didn't change mine this last oil change on the ninja, though I tried to reseat it in the hopes that it would deform enough to do some good. I'm gonna try and get a few to have on hand before the next change, just because they're pretty cheap.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My crush washer started leaking so I ordered 10 of them along with something else on some internet order. Guess they'll last through the rest of the bike's life.

Also, went to the dealer I ranted about, they had one of the two parts I ordered. It was the good part too, the other one is just a gasket I can sort of fix with liquid gasket goo. They also had a Gladius available for demo rides.

Man what a fun bike. Now I'm hopelessly addicted to v-twin torque. It's supposed to be a middleweight / starter bike but drat if it doesn't scoot right ahead when you give it some. At first I thought it pulled from really down low, but it's actually about 5-6 grand most of the grunt is, thing is the engine spins so effortlessly throughout the rev range that 6 K on that feels like 4 K on my I4. 10 grand in 1st gear didn't feel stressed at all, just smooth. It had a Yoshi pipe which made it very rewarding to blip the throttle on downshifts.

RRRrrrrrrr...BAVOOMPH...RRRRrrrrr

Aaaayeah, thumbs up for that engine. Seat was hard as a plank, mirrors sucked, otherwise ok. Even scraped a peg in a roundabout, but they do have some long spikes on the pegs. You're supposed to wear those down right?

Now some more about my own bike, which felt really heavy and wheezy after an hour on the Gladius. I had a real a-ha moment last year when I mounted the missing snorkel on my airbox, it removed a low rev stumble which had annoyed me. The stumble returned in a slightly manner different later, this turned out to be my recently replaced coil. So I tried removing it again to see the difference and if it would solve the bogging at wide open throttle.

Just sitting loosely on top.

Removed. Without it, my WOT is WOTing like hell, pulls strong in the top end with the throttle way open. But in the lower end there's a distinct lack of torque. I guess there's some spooky science behind it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

You can hear some resonance things happing too, rolling on at 4 K there's suddenly a distinct bassy tone from the airbox which goes away as the revs increase. With the snorkel on this tone is gone and it pulls stronger in the low end, but it's too restrictive to feed the hungry engine at full power.

Well, good thing it's easy to take on and off. Guess I'll remove it for WOTing down the autobahn and put it on for the twisty bits in the Alps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
See, Ola, now you see why an SV is awesome.

Adding my hat to the pot of "never replaces crush washers".

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
How the hell did you manage to fit on the Gladius, Ola? Aren't you a tall bastard like me? When I sat on one, my legs did anything but fit the tank dents.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I'm going to motorcycle hell because on the last oil change on the Duc 2 valve, I completely hosed up my crush washer and just said screw it and it isn't leaking oil. I'll get a new one for the next oil change

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

dietcokefiend posted:

Yea I ran into the EXACT situation for crush washers on my SV. Couldnt find anyone else selling them, and I wanted to like change my oil you know... soon. Drove to the nearest dealer on my bike that is like 20 miles away. Less in gas than shipping would have been :v:

I know it's against the goon motto to buy things in person, but dealerships are great for when you need something fast or if it's a cheap part.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
And sometimes they carry stuff you can't easily find online, or that would be prohibitive to ship, like tires. I bought my topcase at a local dealer because I knew what I wanted, couldn't find anywhere selling it outside Ebay, and one of the Ebay dealers turned out to be this place I liked going to anyway.

So I've been getting insurance quotes on the range of my next biek, and it turns out insurance prices are hosed. The two cheapest places I've talked to so far, an '05 FZ6 runs about $80 less to insure than an '08 KLR.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Hi, I'm an incredibly useful device that you're probably kicking yourself for not thinking of me first.

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/11232006093837MWEC68.htm

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

n8r posted:

I know it's against the goon motto to buy things in person, but dealerships are great for when you need something fast or if it's a cheap part.

Yea but holy hell do things get expensive quick. I know people always say buy local, but come on. My local guys usually mark up 50-100% over online prices.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Simkin posted:

How the hell did you manage to fit on the Gladius, Ola? Aren't you a tall bastard like me? When I sat on one, my legs did anything but fit the tank dents.

I'm just about six foot and fit perfectly. The pegs felt a little bit high, but then I'm used to slightly cramped pegs from the GSX. If I could've loosened the handlebar bolts and tilted it a little bit backwards it would have been just perfect. On of the best bits about the ergos was how easy it was to kneegrip the tank. I sort of just leaned my knees inwards, then lifted my legs with my toes and presto, my lower body was like it was attached at the factory.

But yeah, I think the margins of subjective preference go just beyond the margins of objective size.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Note to self: if it's raining out, put your helmet on before walking out to the bike. Otherwise, rain on both sides of the visor and both sides of your glasses and you can't see anything until you stop and towel off.

Note to self 2: carry a towel somewhere so you can towel off.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Note 3: there's no problem that won't go away if you throw money at it:

http://www.fogtech.ca/home.htm

This stuff really works.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It wasn't fog. It was rain drops all over the inside of my visor and both sides of my glasses. It was a bit of a downpour.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh well just a friendly product recommendation then. Since I live in a pretty rainy city I've gotten used to the procedure: Go outside, take the cover and lock off, back inside, dry hair, put gear on, go outside suited up.

One thing I'm struggling to get used to is how HORRIBLE my brakes are in the rain. They work, it just takes 3 seconds of braking to dry them off before the actually begin braking properly. Once they bite good it only takes 30-40 seconds of riding before they suck again. One day that poo poo will bite me in the rear end so hard. It was better before I changed my pads. They're way worn in now, but perhaps the material has something to do with it. But the ones I have are the standard soft no-hair-on-nuts non-racing type and I'm pretty sure the previous set was too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, my brakes suck for the first stop, but they stay okay after that. I was riding around a large town with lots of stop and go without a problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Oh well just a friendly product recommendation then. Since I live in a pretty rainy city I've gotten used to the procedure: Go outside, take the cover and lock off, back inside, dry hair, put gear on, go outside suited up.

One thing I'm struggling to get used to is how HORRIBLE my brakes are in the rain. They work, it just takes 3 seconds of braking to dry them off before the actually begin braking properly. Once they bite good it only takes 30-40 seconds of riding before they suck again. One day that poo poo will bite me in the rear end so hard. It was better before I changed my pads. They're way worn in now, but perhaps the material has something to do with it. But the ones I have are the standard soft no-hair-on-nuts non-racing type and I'm pretty sure the previous set was too.

This is why you shouldn't run race/track pads in streetbikes or on bikes that will ever see rain.

Some OEM pads suck, though :( Just gotta try different types.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 17, 2009

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Uthor posted:

I was riding around a large town with lots of stop and go without a problem.

Exactly, I do this too. As long as the brakes stay used, they work. But as soon as they go about a minute unused, they're gone for the first 3-4 seconds when I do need them. The dread scenario is droning along on a rainy highway, not paying enough attention, suddenly a situation pops up, I react slowly but not too slowly ... only the wet brakes carry me 300 feet further into deep poo poo before they start earning their pay.

Tuesday morning I hit the autobahn. Kilometers to burn: One thousand. Weather forecast: Wet. :ohdear:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

This is why you shouldn't run race/track pads in streetbikes or on bikes that will ever see rain.

Some OEM pads even suck, though :( Just gotta try different types.

But mines aren't the race/track ones, they're the "organic kevlar" (according to the seller wemoto.com) type, "you're just a mellow accountant, enjoying your sunday" type of brake pads. Anyway, this is my only milestone for brake pads in the future, I don't care about fading or glazing or heat cycles or anything. On the road, they get used way less than a car's and I need something that delivers straight from sleep mode. You're totally correct, gotta try different types. It's so easy to swap and they're so cheap, no reason to wait for them to be worn down to some experimenting.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Ola posted:

One thing I'm struggling to get used to is how HORRIBLE my brakes are in the rain. They work, it just takes 3 seconds of braking to dry them off before the actually begin braking properly.

Are your discs slotted/drilled? Mine aren't and they suck really bad in rain. The only saving grace is that my rear is a drum and that works great in the rain so it sort of makes up for it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

But mines aren't the race/track ones, they're the "organic kevlar" (according to the seller wemoto.com) type, "you're just a mellow accountant, enjoying your sunday" type of brake pads. Anyway, this is my only milestone for brake pads in the future, I don't care about fading or glazing or heat cycles or anything. On the road, they get used way less than a car's and I need something that delivers straight from sleep mode. You're totally correct, gotta try different types. It's so easy to swap and they're so cheap, no reason to wait for them to be worn down to some experimenting.

Dunno then. Maybe try some "normal" HH style pads? I'm not really huge on rain performance as I don't get rained on much, but I recall the "standard" EBC HH pads on my E being fairly decent in the rain. A bit wooden if they were completely cold, but not horrible. It's been ages since I've ridden in real rain...

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 17, 2009

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Uthor posted:

Note to self: if it's raining out, put your helmet on before walking out to the bike. Otherwise, rain on both sides of the visor and both sides of your glasses and you can't see anything until you stop and towel off.

Note to self 2: carry a towel somewhere so you can towel off.

you were wearing a shirt I assume? Just wipe your glasses on the shirt. For the helmet, I just shut the visor over as closed as it will go over my fingers. Most of the rain stays out that way.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

those pads are dirt, the EBC HH pads are ok street pads, fine in the rain, i ride in the rain almost every day and cheaped out once and bought the organic pads. i kept them on for 2 weeks before going back to the HH ones

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
In other news, Harley Davidson's second quarter earnings are down 91%.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/07/harley-earnings-drop-91-for-2n.html

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just saw this browsing eBay:

2008 Ducati Superbike Desmosedici RR

quote:

This auction is for a 2008 Ducati Desmosedici Rosso Edition with just 25 miles. This bike is PERFECT; absolutely new. Bought it on a whim and parked it after just one ride. THIS IS AN AMAZING DEAL on an AWESOME BIKE! With three kids, just don't have time or inclination to ride.

Dude just buys an $80,000 bike on a whim. Rich bastard. At least someone's gonna get a steal on it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

OrangeFurious posted:

How are Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki doing right now for their bike divisions?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

OrangeFurious posted:

That's what you get for making ridiculously overpriced poo poo :colbert: (NOTE: I do know that Harleys aren't complete garbage, but in this economy you might want to consider the fact that you're selling a luxury to begin with and that maybe 30k for a wheeled couch is a bit excessive)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Just saw this browsing eBay:

2008 Ducati Superbike Desmosedici RR

Dude just buys an $80,000 bike on a whim. Rich bastard. At least someone's gonna get a steal on it.

Let's see, that's about 1000$ a mile. If he gets close to the BIN price. Fantastic.

I bet it has 25 miles becase he made it 12 miles before he was like "gently caress it, let's open this bitch up" and the next half mile was completed while he shat his pants. Then the remainder was him limping it home in 6th gear.

Either that or he realized that the year of free maintenence is over and first step for anything in the service manual is to drop the engine.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Slim Pickens posted:

Dude just buys an $80,000 bike on a whim. Home equity line of credit havin' bastard. At least someone's gonna get a steal on it, and his house.

Corrected.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looking through his other sales, apparently he also had to sell the 'ol F40 and Benz as well. Bummer, man.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

OrangeFurious posted:

Well considering a good portion of their customers were buying them as fashion bikes I'm not surprised.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Slim Pickens posted:

apparently he also had to sell the 'ol F40 and Benz as well. Bummer, man.

Definition of a bad day.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Who makes a "modern" looking 2-stroke sportbike that could be seen cruising the streets of Hollywood? I caught a very fleeting glimpse of something rolling down Vermont yesterday, bright orange, sportbike form, very 2-stroke sound. Any ideas? All I could think of was the Aprilia RS50 that I saw while I was looking to buy, but I've heard that's like a 7/8 scale bike. This one appeared "normal" sized, though I did only see it for a half second.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
No god damned wonder my 599's clutch has been acting up:

Hammered out spots on the clutch basket fingers. From my understanding this can cause strange engagement and tough clutch pull which I've been getting more and more.

Also this is fine right?

... oh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

Who makes a "modern" looking 2-stroke sportbike that could be seen cruising the streets of Hollywood? I caught a very fleeting glimpse of something rolling down Vermont yesterday, bright orange, sportbike form, very 2-stroke sound. Any ideas? All I could think of was the Aprilia RS50 that I saw while I was looking to buy, but I've heard that's like a 7/8 scale bike. This one appeared "normal" sized, though I did only see it for a half second.

No one but aprilia makes one, in the form of the RS50, or RS250. Both could be mistaken for generic sportbikes from a distance.

In all honesty it was most likely a sportbike of some sort with a 2-stroke motor swapped in. More than a couple of guys have stuffed RD350 motors into Ninja 250's. I've also seen an RG-500 motor in a modern GSXR.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Phat_Albert posted:

I've also seen an RG-500 motor in a modern GSXR.

Oooh.... any pics or videos of that?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Phat_Albert posted:

No one but aprilia makes one, in the form of the RS50, or RS250. Both could be mistaken for generic sportbikes from a distance.

In all honesty it was most likely a sportbike of some sort with a 2-stroke motor swapped in. More than a couple of guys have stuffed RD350 motors into Ninja 250's. I've also seen an RG-500 motor in a modern GSXR.

RS125 too, AF1 street legalizes them too, and all the ones that came over were bright red too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The Yamaha RZ350 still looks modern enough.