Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

vtnewb posted:

RZ350
There's been two for sale here in the past week. It's mental.

So um how does one go about penning two bieks up together in the same garage, especially when one is coming in as a replacement for the other one? A bit of territorial posturing is of course inevitable but I don't want fights breaking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I find it preferable to have discord among the ranks. otherwise, it is likely that the bikes will conspire against you. Once you are gone, they can get arrange for an accident involving the car and then they have the whole garage.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

blugu64 posted:

RS125 too, AF1 street legalizes them too,

Not in California. 2-Strokes are off-road use only.

Are you sure it was a two-stroke you saw? Seems like begging for a ticket/impound.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Phat_Albert posted:

In all honesty it was most likely a sportbike of some sort with a 2-stroke motor swapped in. More than a couple of guys have stuffed RD350 motors into Ninja 250's. I've also seen an RG-500 motor in a modern GSXR.
So, to bring the 2 stroke back to european and american streets would take just a few things.

#1. Contract with tony foale for chassis design.
#2. Contract with pininferina for fairing design.
#3. Lease from evinrude for their low emissions 2 stroke tech.
#4. Someone to come up with a genius marketing campeign.
#5. Negotiate rules exceptions with FIM and AMA. Run a team in AMA superbike, and European superbike.

So, make a bike that handles well. Make a bike that's sexy. Make a bike that's clean. Make people want the bike. Race the bike to prove it's not just talk.

Now, where to find the money for this? And how do we prevent the company from eating itself?

VTNewb posted:

The Yamaha RZ350 still looks modern enough.
RGV250. *drools* The RG500 looks pretty modern too.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

OrangeFurious posted:

Not in California. 2-Strokes are off-road use only.

Are you sure it was a two-stroke you saw? Seems like begging for a ticket/impound.

I'm basing it off the sound it made, and it was definitely a distinct "bring-bing-bing-bing" sort of lope as he coasted down the street. It sounded like every other 2 stroke motor I've heard.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Simkin posted:

Oooh.... any pics or videos of that?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gammagirl/

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sirbeefalot posted:

Who makes a "modern" looking 2-stroke sportbike that could be seen cruising the streets of Hollywood? I caught a very fleeting glimpse of something rolling down Vermont yesterday, bright orange, sportbike form, very 2-stroke sound. Any ideas? All I could think of was the Aprilia RS50 that I saw while I was looking to buy, but I've heard that's like a 7/8 scale bike. This one appeared "normal" sized, though I did only see it for a half second.

RS125 probably.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

drat, that looks like a pretty nicely done job. It's funny to see how much space they've ended up with between the engine and fairings.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Got back from my trip around 9 last night. I'll post a trip report eventually, but for now I'm enjoying being lazy.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

One of the bike washers from my dealership got killed riding in to work this morning because a car pulled out in front of him.

He probably would have survived if he wore his helmet properly....

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Just got off the phone with Allstate, my non-running bike is now insured! That means I can register it soon. The company I have my Jeep with wanted $587 a year for my motorcycle. That is MORE then my Jeep.

For just basic liability, Allstate is $118 a year, with one Accident and no tickets. Once it's running i'm going to upgrade of course, but it'll do until it's running.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003

Deeters posted:

One of the bike washers from my dealership got killed riding in to work this morning because a car pulled out in front of him.

He probably would have survived if he wore his helmet properly....

Did he not strap the helmet on, or what?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

MiamiKid posted:

Did he not strap the helmet on, or what?

Either that or he just had it sitting on top of his head (he wore a full face). He definitely wasn't the smartest guy working there.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
More Ebay links...

2004 Aprilia Nera with 19 miles

Sweet lord I wish I had that much disposable income.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Home improvement contractor working nearby stopped and gave my wife his card, seems he's interested in my CB750. She told him about the Nighthawk, he sounded even more interested. "Had a 750 Four, never shoulda sold it". My bikes aren't worth anything, but maybe I can get enough to find something solid.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Waiting until this weekend to get my new bike is freaking murder. :(

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
At least you know when you're getting yours

Even if I get it tomorrow though I still can't ride it(I'm not licensed yet) so I guess it's a good thing, avoiding temptation and all that. I once had to talk myself out of driving drunk in Vegas. I got about halfway to my car and had a heartfelt conversation with myself about what drunk driving could do to me.

I decided against it, and went on the new(At the time) Vegas Monorail. It was pretty cool.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Started up and rode my bike for the first time in I think four months :dance:

Took some effort getting it turned over because of rear end gas in the carbs or something, had to push start it despite a fully-charged battery. Took three tries too. But man did it feel good when it finally turned over. Rode it a few times around the block in a squid suit (tanktop, shorts, chucks). Now for the small matter of getting it registered again...stupid salvage title.

But hey, IT LIVES!

As a side note, I've become pretty good at replacing front ends.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bucephalus posted:

Home improvement contractor working nearby stopped and gave my wife his card, seems he's interested in my CB750. She told him about the Nighthawk, he sounded even more interested. "Had a 750 Four, never shoulda sold it". My bikes aren't worth anything, but maybe I can get enough to find something solid.

Why aren't your bikes worth anything?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^^Because they're old crap? In the bizzaro-world that is Craigslist, they're good for $1K simply because they run. In reality, they're 25+-year-old UJMs that have spent their lives stored outdoors by a string of questionable owners (myself included), and are replete with the electrical and cosmetic issues related to such treatment.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bucephalus posted:

^^^Because they're old crap? In the bizzaro-world that is Craigslist, they're good for $1K simply because they run. In reality, they're 25+-year-old UJMs that have spent their lives stored outdoors by a string of questionable owners (myself included), and are replete with the electrical and cosmetic issues related to such treatment.

It's not craigslist, those old UJMs are almost always worth something unless it's just a pile of rust. Literally. People will restore them, or use them for parts, and are willing to pay good money for them.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
I just got back from a 2 week tour of rural France and it's shocking how much friendlier French bikers are than British ones, always waving when coming from the opposite direction or sticking out a foot when overtaking. Riders on cruisers and HD are still assholes, which just goes to show cruisers are poo poo bikes.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

ranathari posted:

Riders on cruisers and HD are still assholes, which just goes to show cruisers are poo poo bikes.

:can:

That's quite the generalization.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Bucephalus posted:

I would be greatly interested in an 83+ Nighthawk that is blue :P for sub $1k I really love those old bikes.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

frozenphil posted:

None of them wave to me :(

Well actually I should say anyone wearing no helmet or one of those skull cap things never waves. Fuckers

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

frozenphil posted:

I know, I'm just trying to wind people up. That said, the two absolute worst riders I saw while I was over there were both on Yamaha HD knock-offs (no idea what the actual model was): one went straight from a minor road to a major road at a junction without even bothering to check for traffic and came so so close to being wiped out by an oncoming lorry. The other poo poo got his braking distance wrong and hit me from behind on the approach to a roundabout.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ranathari posted:

I just got back from a 2 week tour of rural France and it's shocking how much friendlier French bikers are than British ones, always waving when coming from the opposite direction or sticking out a foot when overtaking. Riders on cruisers and HD are still assholes, which just goes to show cruisers are poo poo bikes.

dietcokefiend posted:

Well actually I should say anyone wearing no helmet or one of those skull cap things never waves. Fuckers

Clearly you've never ridden in Kentucky. They are the most enthusiastic, happy, bikers in the world. No helmet laws but everyone waves at everyone and there are poo poo-tons of bikers. I waved until my arm was exhausted and then I just nodded. Generalizations can be made about any type of bike, it's sportbike riders doing stoppies and burnouts in traffic and dragging their feet at stoplights; cruiser riders with straight pipes and ridiculously large engines. I've owned both cruisers and sportbikes, neither has a monopoly on dumbasses.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
There's something magical about the smell of a freshly cleaned chain. Probably all the chemicals. Smells like freedom.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Halo_4am posted:

I would be greatly interested in an 83+ Nighthawk that is blue :P for sub $1k I really love those old bikes.

It's an '82 (SOHC, chain), and it's black (except for the invisible sidecovers).

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
After three and a half hours in the DMV, I now have my Motorcycle endorsement!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^^Sweet! How's the bike coming?

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
It's still being worked on. :(

My dads going to try to guilt him into Getting it done, seeing as how he just helped him pour a concrete foundation(Getting everything graded out, working out the actual concrete etc) for free, so hopefully it'll be soon.

But i'm not complaining. It's free mechanical work, still a drat fine deal. Whats the old adage? Fast, cheap and good. Pick any two.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Posting from a lovely hotel in Northern Italy, not far from Bormio. Around 2100 km in three days so far. Swiss Alps was just epic, Italian Alps not much worse. Now it's off to Passo della Stelvio, then 500 km to Tuscany where I'll stay two nights. Riding all the way has been epic actually, so many different things to see. The classic resort of St Moritz was cool, the Swiss villages with their dark brown wood and old churches are just quaint as hell. So far (which is only one hour from the border) Italy looks a lot like that.

Bike developed a serious oil leak heading down, that is my repaired leak seemed to have disregarded it being repaired. Almost two quarts gone from Denmark to Frankfurt, but after getting disciplined by the German oil, the leak seems to have gotten its act together. It still leaves a little territorial mark wherever I park, but only needed to refill once in the last 1000 km.

One incident as well, came way hot into a corner on wet tarmac and did the classic newbie mistake. Instead of trusting the bike to corner hard, I stood it up and went too hard on the brakes. Fish tailed and bucked like a bee stung donkey, almost threw me off. Off the road, onto a gravel parking space where the traction was better (!), almost high sided me again, then finally came to an upright stop right before some farmer's building where I dropped it from a stand still. No damage to anything, just a thorough reminder of how complacency can catch up with skill pretty quick. Don't tell my mom.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ola posted:

Posting from a lovely hotel in Northern Italy, not far from Bormio. Around 2100 km in three days so far. Swiss Alps was just epic, Italian Alps not much worse. Now it's off to Passo della Stelvio, then 500 km to Tuscany where I'll stay two nights. Riding all the way has been epic actually, so many different things to see. The classic resort of St Moritz was cool, the Swiss villages with their dark brown wood and old churches are just quaint as hell. So far (which is only one hour from the border) Italy looks a lot like that.

Bike developed a serious oil leak heading down, that is my repaired leak seemed to have disregarded it being repaired. Almost two quarts gone from Denmark to Frankfurt, but after getting disciplined by the German oil, the leak seems to have gotten its act together. It still leaves a little territorial mark wherever I park, but only needed to refill once in the last 1000 km.

One incident as well, came way hot into a corner on wet tarmac and did the classic newbie mistake. Instead of trusting the bike to corner hard, I stood it up and went too hard on the brakes. Fish tailed and bucked like a bee stung donkey, almost threw me off. Off the road, onto a gravel parking space where the traction was better (!), almost high sided me again, then finally came to an upright stop right before some farmer's building where I dropped it from a stand still. No damage to anything, just a thorough reminder of how complacency can catch up with skill pretty quick. Don't tell my mom.

I can't wait for the trip report! I hope I can make it to europe for a stupid adventure in the next few years.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

blugu64 posted:

I can't wait for the trip report! I hope I can make it to europe for a stupid adventure in the next few years.

I was planning to do Sturgis for my half century natal anniversary, but now I keep thinking Europe might be a better alternative. A lot more expensive, but dammit it's Europe!

Every ride report I see from Europe is drat fabulous.

And Condor flies from Anchorage to Dusseldorf, which makes it easy-ish to get there.

I mean, gently caress it. That's what HELOCs and pre=approved credit cards are for, right?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Bucephalus posted:

It's an '82 (SOHC, chain), and it's black (except for the invisible sidecovers).

In that case I already have one. I got it running last year for about a day. No title and looks way too rough for me to put any effort into titling or restoring (despite what I thought when I first picked it up). It's missing side covers too... also the exhaust has totally rusted out. Most everything else on it though should be good for parts. PM me if you need anything, or are interested in getting a cheap parts bike just outside Chicago.

:edit:
Nevermind the bike is already gone. Father-in-law who's house I was storing it at gave it up already.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 24, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Gnomad posted:

I was planning to do Sturgis for my half century natal anniversary, but now I keep thinking Europe might be a better alternative. A lot more expensive, but dammit it's Europe!

Every ride report I see from Europe is drat fabulous.

And Condor flies from Anchorage to Dusseldorf, which makes it easy-ish to get there.

I mean, gently caress it. That's what HELOCs and pre=approved credit cards are for, right?

Would you ship your bike/rent/buy over there?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Would you ship your bike/rent/buy over there?

My preference would be to ship. Ideally, I'd like to ship it over on the plane as excess baggage....it's possible but expensive. It would be cooler to me to ride my own bike over there-and I think I could collect bonus chicks with the Alaska plate.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnomad posted:

My preference would be to ship. Ideally, I'd like to ship it over on the plane as excess baggage....it's possible but expensive. It would be cooler to me to ride my own bike over there-and I think I could collect bonus chicks Ewan McGregor wannabies with the Alaska plate.

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Gnomad posted:

My preference would be to ship. Ideally, I'd like to ship it over on the plane as excess baggage....it's possible but expensive. It would be cooler to me to ride my own bike over there-and I think I could collect bonus chicks with the Alaska plate.

I knew there was a reason I shelled out the extra money for the "Native Texan" license plate. ;)