Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
You should have a look at the pyro tools talk- specifically the shader talk by Mario here:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1496&Itemid=305

He talks a bit about his observations of gaseous things, and how they absorb, emit or scatter light. You can get this going in the pyro shader if you name your field/s appropriately (Use a name SOP). And then you can tinker with the pointcloud lighting features the shader has for your internal scattering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

sinc posted:

Thanks for the comments. :) Yeah, the scale and context aren't very obvious at this point, because there's no attempt to model the surroundings yet. Also I'm planning to make it spread and skew at the top and to add a ton of secondary smoke floating around. So far I just kind of wanted to see if the approach of rendering the main plume as a solid has any potential.

I'm going for an effect like this: http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Jpg/MSH/Images/MSH80_msh_eruption_05-18-80_Krimmel_80S3-141_bw.jpg (warning, huge). At these sizes (even tens of kilometers tall) the smoke seems to have quite a solid and defined character, which would require a ridiculously small step size and massive resolution with the typical method. But I guess it'll still need stuff like translucency/SSS/etc to soften it.

A good setup to use actually would be get the shape you want from a lower rez volume, and then use an uprez setup in dops to unrez the volume, that and you can use a displacement shader with the volume shader and that'll give it more detail.

Oh and Heintje, I forgot to sign up for the class thing on Monday, but let me know if you guys want to make a bar night, I know a ton of bars all around that area that are great to hang out, have a drink and do some chatting.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Sweet, well I fly in on Fri the 24th if you guys want to catch up that night. I'm probably going to be out of town hitting beaches Sat/Sun and then back until Wed night. Must maximize beach time. It loving sucks living away from one :(

sinc
Jul 6, 2008

Ratmann posted:

A good setup to use actually would be get the shape you want from a lower rez volume, and then use an uprez setup in dops to unrez the volume, that and you can use a displacement shader with the volume shader and that'll give it more detail.

Oh, I hadn't even thought you could use displacements with volume shaders, but really, why not. Should be worth examining.

Though still, I hope I'm not getting annoying here because obviously you guys don't seem to think this is a very fruitful approach... :) Here's a quick test, I comped my own smoke next to the one in my reference photo. Does it look different in actual context? It's not a perfect match of course, but at least to my eye it doesn't look too bad. Which sort of suggests that this could be made to work, at least with reasonable viewing distances.

And for comparison, the original:

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
I think one of the major differences is the lack of evidence of motion, ie how the dust puffs 'pull' the gases up and leave streaked columns underneath the heads.

I like watching this video. It's hypnotic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFAf_SRRKUg

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

DefMech posted:

Archviz is a weird field. It's one of those things where you can make a really good living working out of your house alone or if you work at a top tier shop like Mr. Gangster. It's hard to survive in the middle. Right now is a bad time to get into the field, IMO. Before my company shut down back in May, we were having a hell of a time convincing architects and developers that an extra few thousand for renderings or animations was worth the expense. It seems odd that just a few grand on top of the total cost of a project would be such a dealbreaker, but that's the industry right now, I guess.

Considering I got laid off from my job of doing (among other things) Archviz, and I've been out for months still with no job, yeah, don't go into that field right now.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I just started getting into 3D again and found a great website for free XSI tutorials: Letterbox Animation Studios (click on the "O" button at the bottom for their online video tutorials)

Maybe something for the OP :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Does anyone want me to post notes from CGcon?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

sigma 6 posted:

Does anyone want me to post notes from CGcon?

YES, please.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

The Merkinman posted:

Considering I got laid off from my job of doing (among other things) Archviz, and I've been out for months still with no job, yeah, don't go into that field right now.

yes but at the same time this:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

is part of your portfolio so I don't think a poor job market is the only thing holding you back.

It looks like you've been working on it since you last linked it, though. You really ought to trim the old piles of poo poo (sorry, but Computress there does not belong in anyone's portfolio, ever, for any reason) you have in there and really polish the new pieces.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

le capitan posted:

YES, please.

I will post them the day after tomorrow. Tomorrow is the last day of CGCon and I have Dr. Sketchy's after that.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Progress on my Satan character
I'm not sold on the right hand, The thumb is screwy at the moment.
Some muscles are pretty wacky but I'm going over it and sorting things out.

*edit* Apologies for filling the thread with dicks.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 19, 2009

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The right hand would probably more convincing cupping the bottom of the elbow.

Also the dick is a bit wierd. The shaft seems to be going up towards the bellybutton when it should bend into the body.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

The right hand would probably more convincing cupping the bottom of the elbow.

Also the dick is a bit wierd. The shaft seems to be going up towards the bellybutton when it should bend into the body.

Agreed on both counts
I will change it and see how it looks

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Sigma-X posted:

It looks like you've been working on it since you last linked it, though. You really ought to trim the old piles of poo poo (sorry, but Computress there does not belong in anyone's portfolio, ever, for any reason) you have in there and really polish the new pieces.

Well I can't even find ArchViz job openings that don't involve a degree in architecture in the first place.

Fair enough, about the older pieces though, removed.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Does anyone know of any good references for non-human eyes on a CG character? I'm going to try and figure out something different to do on some of my characters. Everything I really see has that bright white glassy eye look to it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

The Merkinman posted:

Well I can't even find ArchViz job openings that don't involve a degree in architecture in the first place.

If you're good enough they will make exceptions - just keep at it.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Trying to get the penis to non-penis image ratio down lower on this page.

I redid the topology on the face a bit. I'm updating an old model and the topo was hideous on the old one. I took some shortcuts. It's still not perfect, but it's better.

Crits welcome, this is still a work in progress but I figured I'd see if anyone can see anything weird about it now. I got rid of the white eyeballs, and just went back to the more neutral look, and I shrunk them down quite a bit. I've still got some more to do on it.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

I like it but I think ceebee is still right. The eyes look too human. The nuts for eyes idea he had seems like a good one to me.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Hinchu posted:

Trying to get the penis to non-penis image ratio down lower on this page.

I redid the topology on the face a bit. I'm updating an old model and the topo was hideous on the old one. I took some shortcuts. It's still not perfect, but it's better.

Crits welcome, this is still a work in progress but I figured I'd see if anyone can see anything weird about it now. I got rid of the white eyeballs, and just went back to the more neutral look, and I shrunk them down quite a bit. I've still got some more to do on it.

The Industrial Designer side of me is looking at this and wondering about construction methods. What are the beads for? Ornamentation? Not useful / practical / likely to be in existence on such a model. Having a quick look online suggests looking at a site such as http://www.tinmantintoys.com/ might be a useful place to get some reference. Of course this is based upon the assumption that this is the look you're going for.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Aargh posted:

The Industrial Designer side of me is looking at this and wondering about construction methods. What are the beads for? Ornamentation? Not useful / practical / likely to be in existence on such a model. Having a quick look online suggests looking at a site such as http://www.tinmantintoys.com/ might be a useful place to get some reference. Of course this is based upon the assumption that this is the look you're going for.

I'm not going for the look of the Tin toys. As for the bead, it is a bit of ornamentation along the seams of where the various pieces would meet together, to help ease the transition. My idea is that everything would be put together with rivets. I'm not really done with the riveting as of yet, because it's hard to keep it attached to the geometry as I tweak stuff.

This is what I had in mind for construction type. Just a GIS image, not sure who the bloke is:

Trying out the bolt eyes, any better?

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
I think the fact that it's got round eyeballs that fill out its sockets perfectly is what's making it look human to me. I do like the nut irises though.

I got a new project, as I'm sure you're all thrilled to hear, and I'm working on the composition and lighting.

Here are some screens:

That thing on the door is painted on (poorly) just to show where that light will be coming from.

And here is a video:
http://www.vimeo.com/5672811

How am I doing so far?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hinchu posted:

I'm not going for the look of the Tin toys. As for the bead, it is a bit of ornamentation along the seams of where the various pieces would meet together, to help ease the transition. My idea is that everything would be put together with rivets. I'm not really done with the riveting as of yet, because it's hard to keep it attached to the geometry as I tweak stuff.

This is what I had in mind for construction type. Just a GIS image, not sure who the bloke is:

Trying out the bolt eyes, any better?

It doesn't look like rivet/weld construction, it looks like you're gluing tubes and dots to your model. Get some better photo ref that is closer up to a weld.

Here is an article on welding with some good photos:
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/gasless-mig.htm

And then here is wikipedia on rivets:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet

and here is a link to some rivets:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/environment/images/heritage/4301052b9.jpg

Right now your rivets are not round enough, it looks like you flattened a sphere. You might want to look into a different kind of rivet, too.

The welding is just floating on top and not at all mated to the metal - you might consider taking this into zbrush and sculpting the welds, I don't think you're going to quickly model some good welds without a sculpting app.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Who is up for a little competition. Well competition isn't really the right word as its more an incentive to do work over finding a winner; but we could do like a low, medium and holy poly challenge, maybe an environment or building, character, vehicle etc.

Low would be super low like 500 tris maximum and a combined texture space of 128 or 256. Medium would be game spec I guess normal maps allowed; high would be whatever your pc can handle!

Anyone interested? I was thinking first off we could make a 'military vehicle', be it a space plane, a steampunk laser gyrocopter or a WW2 sherman tank. What do you think?

edit: and we could make the render/beauty shot look like the cover of an Airfix box!

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 20, 2009

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a good idea.. i'm in. I will also win gloriously.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'd be down if the subject allows me to learn zBrush since my bitch rear end needs to learn it. I do too many spaceships and lasers and mechanical sci-fi geegaws at work so something with some organic shapes would be neat.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

How long do you think each challenge should last. 2 weeks? 4?

Sigma think of this as community college art. If you can interpret the theme in a way you want then do!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I would like to try a little hard surface modeling in zbrush, and it will be an excuse to make a new piece. Count me in.

EDIT: I saw enough CG dong in Watchmen to last a lifetime. Seriously though, EoinCannon, that is looking really good.

I plan on transcribing those CG con notes today, so you guys should see them up soon.

Hinchu: You may want to consider subtle impact point / dimple around the rivets. Either that or paint in some occlusion or grime around them, depending on age etc.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 20, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I would have time to do the challenge but I'll throw my name in anyway. I need to do more hard surface stuff. Also I've never really tried to do low poly at all so I need to learn workflows for that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

brian encino man posted:

How long do you think each challenge should last. 2 weeks? 4?

Sigma think of this as community college art. If you can interpret the theme in a way you want then do!

I am no way in competing shape but I would love to help you come up themes for the contests seeing.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
I have to design a semi-large crowd of people (see: 20-30, about half that being in enough detail to see clearly) and I was wondering if there was a cheap and easy way to have a semi distinct crowd. Time is a serious factor here.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'll give the challenge a shot. I'm more of an organics type of guy but it can't hurt to try :P

ceebee fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 21, 2009

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Unexpected EOF posted:

I have to design a semi-large crowd of people (see: 20-30, about half that being in enough detail to see clearly) and I was wondering if there was a cheap and easy way to have a semi distinct crowd. Time is a serious factor here.

I was perusing some tutorials today, and saw one that said how to do crowds. I wasn't looking to make one, but apparently you are, so here's the tutorial.

http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/maya/crowd/

I have no idea how well it works since I really only just saw it today, but it seems simple and quick enough. If it works, it works. If not, well I tried.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Andrew Jones
http://www.androidjones.com/

Art as a journey
Warns there are too many aspiring concept artists but not enough job positions to go around
In order to succeed as an artist you must first find a need / niche
Helped found conceptart.org
Warned of falling into one of the 4 major archetypes (child, victim, saboteur, prostitute)
Advocates painting outdoors (celestial events / sunset / sunrise)
No reward without some risk
"Phaedroid" performance

Daniel Williams (Zbrush)
http://www.pointpusher.com/
(toolbar for maya available for download)

modeling head:
subtool master will allow mirroring of subtools
use flatten with low intensity to flatten parts like foreheads / temples
Uses falloff brushes from zbrushcentral vs the pinch brush
Always work low to high
use move at low levels to change primary form and pose
check profile / shape of nose
always be checking in multiple angles as well as ortho
check 3/4 view as well as front and top for general shape of head
To retopo in maya:
import sculpt -> make live -> create poly (make strips) -> triangulate -> quadrangulate -> add edge loops and tweak verts where necessary
new verts will snap to live mesh
check normals on strips of polys occasionally
build an animation ready mesh strip by strip / patch modeling
Merge strips / patches
For making posed head / posed blendshapes use maya's non linear deformers and clusters
after using deformers re export back to zbrush for further sculpting
note: zGo or zbrush 4 should make import and export of blendshapes / morph targets easier
Paint / smooth cluster weights for fine control
It's okay to model with deformers in maya (pt count should not change for import/export however)
Ask questions about your character through every step of the process
Section character into subtools or polygroups or both
Each subtool isolated can use up to 100% of cpus resources
Sectioning character into polygroups can be better than subtools because one can sculpt across polygroups a lot easier
Xnormal is better than Zmapper because it is topology independent
How do you know when to move forward from base mesh in max/maya and just sculpt in zbrush vs starting with bad topo, sculpting, and then just making a new game mesh over the sculpt (retopo)??
- If you already know the specs of the character beforehand then start with a base mesh in max or maya
- If you don't know really know where you are going and plan on exploring more at the beginning stages in 3d, then start sculpting the form in zbrush and just retopo later.

Jeff Miller (Zbrush)
http://redrepublik.cgsociety.org/gallery/665298

Start with z-spheres, retopo later if you need to
z-spheres (preview mesh "A" -> make polymesh3d when you want to convert from z-sphere to poly)
Reuses basemesh created from zspheres for many different characters, posing them differently using the transpose tool
For facial modeling he uses clay tube brush + some gravity on the brush for wrinkles
Uses claty tubes for putting in muscle -> smooth them out (clay smooth)
Use clay for filling in volume
When masking it is sometimes better to do it at lowest subD level to make it as precise as possible
Use falloff brush from zbrushcentral vs pinch brush (pinches topology = bad)
To create stylized hair use falloff + masking + flatten brush
Always step down to lowest subD level before saving! This insures better stability in file.
The more tools you have in your zbrush tool palette the slower zbrush runs
You can separate / group you character according to UV shells (polygroup -> UVgroup split)
Don't just add detail around your entire character uniformly, add detail intelligently and in the right places
Typically spends a week on a character

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 21, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Ok how about this for the first challenge:

You have 4 weeks to make something on the theme of 'military machine'. This can be futuristic, alien, eco-warrior; it just needs to be ready for some kind of combat. Let's go for the middle ground right now so game spec, 10k triangles max, normal maps allowed, a combined texture resolution of 2048 and alpha, lighting maps etc.

It would be great if you posted some rough sketches and maybe a concept piece but remember this isn't CGsociety so we can all provide nice constructive crit and help each other along the way.

How about that?

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 21, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Is andrew jones that guy who wears his tablet with a guitar strap and is pretentious as gently caress? haha.

I'm out of the challenge. I'm not really into the idea of working on military machines.
If round 2 is a building or hard object then i'm in.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

Is andrew jones that guy who wears his tablet with a guitar strap and is pretentious as gently caress? haha.

I'm out of the challenge. I'm not really into the idea of working on military machines.
If round 2 is a building or hard object then i'm in.

Yeah we can mix it up a lot but sometimes its good to work outside of your comfort zone! I haven't really made any vehicles before so it will be a challenge.

Edit: You know guys it seems to be me pushing through the theme. Shall we actually all have a vote on what what we should be making first. What would you guys prefer to do?

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 21, 2009

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I'm okay with a vehicle since I really don't have any on my reel.

I will pick up with the rest of Jeff Miller once I get off of work.

Actually, I have met Andrew twice now and he never seemed pretentious to me. His lecture was pretty inspirational and I like that he pushes the boundaries with what can be done with concept art / performance art.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 21, 2009

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm all for a vehicle. I'll probably do something like this:

With a bunch of cloth so I can practice my sculpting, unless someone has a better idea for a military vehicle with cloth.

I really don't care what we do so long as I can shoehorn in learning zBrush since I need to do that.

cubicle I'm not sure what you mean by "hard object" - if you mean difficult, there are certainly difficult military machines out there. And most of them are not soft-surface models :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Unexpected EOF posted:

How much control do you need? How far are they from the camera? What kind of motion do they need to be doing? How fast? How much monies? :haw: