Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Non scratchy wool? I'm thinking socks. Lots of socks. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I'd do a hat-mitten-scarf set, although I personally have not mastered the art of the mitten. That's my goal this winter!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ruggedor posted:

So my question is what to do with 2.2 pounds of navy blue wool yarn. I’m so overwhelmed! Help!?

I'll take it off your hands :v:

But if you don't want to send wool off to a strange internet person, I'd suggest testing how it felts and then make yourself a really nice messenger bag.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Does anyone have any advice regarding mosaic knitting? I'm doing a scarf in black and grey, making it up as I go along and incorporating slip stitches, but I've drawn a blank over what pattern I want to use next and I don't want too much repetition.

The charts I've been looking at only have the right side rows on them- why?

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I need to know how to make that squid. Is it on Ravelry?

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Klams Jam posted:

I need to know how to make that squid. Is it on Ravelry?

You can buy the pattern here: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=27489618

She also has about a million other awesome designs.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

teknicolor posted:

Non scratchy wool? I'm thinking socks. Lots of socks. :D

Don't have any photos to show it off but while we're on the topic of non-scratchy wool and socks, I have to thoroughly recommend bamboo yarn for the task. Though I can't remember the brand off the top of my head, I just finished a pair of socks with some bamboo yarn and they're as smooth as silk. Though too small for me, I would definitely wear a pair, and I normally can't stand the feel of wool socks.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Z Is Overrated posted:

You can buy the pattern here: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=27489618

She also has about a million other awesome designs.

I'm making a set of puffer fishies for my niece and nephew :3:

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
Would anybody be interested in doing some commission work? My girlfriend is in love with the little CG guys in this commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIdsVGJLES4

It's a coffee cup, a donut, and an onion with eyes and mouths. I still haven't got her a birthday present so if someone could make these for me I'd definitely pay for it. If you have plat send me a PM or if not email me at richardjburke@gmail.com .

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
A friend wants me to knit him a hat with the Hand of Eris on it, and I don't know what the best way to go about it would be. The only color-change stuff I've ever done is blocks on a scarf, and that's as easy as switching color at the end of a row.

I know the terms "intarsia" and "fair isle" and not a thing about how to do either, which would work better, or where I should go from here. Any advice?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I think I have a spending problem

Fetal Christmas presents for my family (L-R mom, dad, and sister).

$57.60... AFTER the 50% off :toot: Would have been $107 and change were the store not liquidating.

If I wanted a cheaper hobby, I'd be a cokehead.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Malleus Maleficarum posted:

$57.60... AFTER the 50% off :toot: Would have been $107 and change were the store not liquidating.

If you were a cokehead you'd lose that sense of awesome that comes when someone compliments you on something and you go "ya, it's 60% angora. And I made it myself."

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

So...pretty...:swoon:

If it makes you feel any better I dropped the same amount during my vacation on yarn, and it's just a grab-bag of random balls. I have no idea what I'll make with them. :ohdear:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I once spent $80 on TWO skeins of yarn which I made ONE scarf out of. I was feeling kinda indulgent that day for sure.

It's an awesome scarf though. No regrets. :)

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Look Under The Rock posted:

A friend wants me to knit him a hat with the Hand of Eris on it, and I don't know what the best way to go about it would be. The only color-change stuff I've ever done is blocks on a scarf, and that's as easy as switching color at the end of a row.

I know the terms "intarsia" and "fair isle" and not a thing about how to do either, which would work better, or where I should go from here. Any advice?

I haven't done much colorwork, but from what I understand, fair isle is used when you have to change colors every few stitches, while intarsia is used for blocks (i.e., more than five-ish stitches) of color. Knittinghelp.com has videos on how to do both.

That said, looking at the Hand of Eris now, I'm not really sure which you should use either. :shobon: Maybe just knit him a regular hat and duplicate stitch the rest? I don't think you can do intarsia in the round anyway.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Z Is Overrated posted:

I haven't done much colorwork, but from what I understand, fair isle is used when you have to change colors every few stitches, while intarsia is used for blocks (i.e., more than five-ish stitches) of color. Knittinghelp.com has videos on how to do both.

That said, looking at the Hand of Eris now, I'm not really sure which you should use either. :shobon: Maybe just knit him a regular hat and duplicate stitch the rest? I don't think you can do intarsia in the round anyway.

Thanks for that, duplicate stitching definitely looks like the way to go. Now, to find yarn!

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!
Actually you can do intarsia in the round. There are 4 different methods here. I haven't ever done it so I don't know if any of the techniques will work for the project you want to do. Plus, you still have to know intarsia to use them.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Noro yarn! I love the way it changes both color and thickness throughout the skein; it makes it a lot of fun to work with. What are you planning to make out of it? You could make at least four pairs of socks with that much!

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

Hating you so hard right now.

Not really, just coveting your haul. Is that Kureyon or Silk Garden?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
^^Silk Garden

Genpei Turtle posted:

Noro yarn! I love the way it changes both color and thickness throughout the skein; it makes it a lot of fun to work with. What are you planning to make out of it? You could make at least four pairs of socks with that much!

I'm making the Brooklyn Tweed Silk Garden scarf for my dad.

Mom is (red merino) is getting an Irish Hiking Scarf and my sister is getting a ribbed scarf the LYS lady gave me a pattern for, unless I find something else.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The problem continues, this time at the Midwest Fiber & Folk Art Festival in Crystal Lake, IL.

I'm gonna be knitting socks until I freaking graduate.

Honestly I'm a little nervous about how that lime green and red is going to pool, but the blue and black in it overrode. Plus the colorway is called METAL :rock:

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 20, 2009

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I want a magical yarn festival in NJ. :saddowns:

I have to go all of the way to PA to get some super-homemade goodness!

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

I've never been to a fiber festival anywhere, even though there are a few in my state, not to mention in other parts of New England.

Someday... maybe. Till then I just live vicariously through people who have the fortune and transportation to go to them and graciously post pictures.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

The problem continues, this time at the Midwest Fiber & Folk Art Festival in Crystal Lake, IL.

Beautiful colors! I am so jealous. As it is though, my stash is already WAY over capacity. I need to use up at least half before I even think of buying any more yarn. I'd love to go to a fiber festival though and check out the hand-dyed/hand-spun stuff.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Sweet stash

I love that Noro so much! I have faced reality and need to start planning for holiday gifts. My MIL got me needles last year so it's only fair that I make her something awesome. Last year I made hats because I had just mastered knitting in the round, and this year my goal is to learn socks.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

I could not resist Verdigris at Knitty. This is my first project with DPNs and it was going pretty well. Until:

Okay, no biggie. I started ghetto knitting with my broken needle and was successful for many rows now. Until last night, a second needle snapped mid-row. :( I can't continue like this, so the project is on hold for now. I started knitting BYOB to make myself feel better.

I have searched multiple places for that size of DPNs to replace my broken ones with no luck. :mad: I guess I'm going to have to break down and order some metal 2mm DPNs online.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Firequirks posted:

I guess I'm going to have to break down and order some metal 2mm DPNs online.

I've done that before. :ohdear: After you break some really fancy wood needles you got for your birthday you learn not to knit so tight on small needles.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I always use metal DPNs so I can knit as tight as I please. It's the only way to get my tension even.

'Course, now my socks are coming out too small. :saddowns:

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

After you break some really fancy wood needles you got for your birthday you learn not to knit so tight on small needles.

Now I'm paranoid about breaking my DPNs...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've knitted a bunch of things on bamboo DPNs but never felt like anything was even coming close to breaking. But that'll sure be in my mind whenever I knit with them from now on :ohdear: What brand are yours, Firequirks? I really like plain old Takumi Clovers.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 22, 2009

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

I've knitted a bunch of things on bamboo DPNs but never felt like anything was even coming close to breaking.

Bamboo dpns are the poo poo. I've had clover for years and they're pretty much all I never knit with and I've never had any trouble.

Just stay away from plain wood. :smithicide:

Speaking of which, did anyone else getting that knitting magazine with the free dpns and stitch holder inside? They're pretty much the worst needles I've ever held.

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

I always use metal DPNs so I can knit as tight as I please. It's the only way to get my tension even.

'Course, now my socks are coming out too small. :saddowns:

That's how I went. Now, I do have a lot of bamboo DPN sets from US sizes 1 to 15, but I made sure to get two sets of KP nickel-plated brass DPNs in sizes 1 and 2 because I know I'm a tight knitter and I don't want to have my progress set back by broken bamboo splinters. Disaster prevention, woo!

Fingerless mitts done on size 2s fit nicely without changing gauge too much. I have yet to actually do socks so I might just end up with the same problem of having them turn out too small once I actually do tackle a pair. Time will tell. :sax:

Edit: Whoa, there was a magazine that had a free set of DPNs? Man, I want that even if they sucked. I love free poo poo, even if it's poorly made, cheap free poo poo.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I could do with some help. I only began knitting in April and have got to grips with the basics and now want to try some colour work. I want to knit a 1x1 rib striped scarf in three colours. My plan in to have two rows of each colour in an A B A C A etc pattern. The problem is I'm not too sure what to do with yarn when I'm not using it. How do I carry it up the sides so I don't have to cut and sew in the yarn every single stripe?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Klams Jam posted:

I could do with some help. I only began knitting in April and have got to grips with the basics and now want to try some colour work. I want to knit a 1x1 rib striped scarf in three colours. My plan in to have two rows of each colour in an A B A C A etc pattern. The problem is I'm not too sure what to do with yarn when I'm not using it. How do I carry it up the sides so I don't have to cut and sew in the yarn every single stripe?

It's best not to carry yarn over more than 2 rows or you'll end up with big loose floats at the edges that will get caught on stuff. You could work 2 rows each colour with only 2 colours, or another option would be to use 3 colours and work only 1 row with each- you pick up whichever colour is waiting for you at the end of the row.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I've knitted a bunch of things on bamboo DPNs but never felt like anything was even coming close to breaking. But that'll sure be in my mind whenever I knit with them from now on :ohdear: What brand are yours, Firequirks? I really like plain old Takumi Clovers.

I'm pretty sure these were bamboo. My grandmother ordered a set of DPNs off of eBay and then surprised me in that she ordered two sets and gave me one. (She really wants me to get over my fear of socks. :) These gloves are my first step as far as I'm concerned.) The needles say MeiMei on them, and I'm googling now and seeing that that's a brand.

Now I can't decide if I should just buy the size I need for these gloves or if I should buy the full set of nickel DPNs at knitpicks. Oh, my life is so hard. :(

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

Firequirks posted:

I'm pretty sure these were bamboo. My grandmother ordered a set of DPNs off of eBay and then surprised me in that she ordered two sets and gave me one. (She really wants me to get over my fear of socks. :) These gloves are my first step as far as I'm concerned.) The needles say MeiMei on them, and I'm googling now and seeing that that's a brand.

Now I can't decide if I should just buy the size I need for these gloves or if I should buy the full set of nickel DPNs at knitpicks. Oh, my life is so hard. :(

There is a middle ground here. If you don't want to commit to buying a full set of KP metal DPNs, just get a pack or two of the smaller, more breakable sizes (sock knitting sizes, US 0 through 3), so you can have a sturdy set to perfect your tension on or fall back on should something happen to the bamboo needles.

This way, you can also test out the KP needles and see if you'd like to invest in more in the future.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

It's best not to carry yarn over more than 2 rows or you'll end up with big loose floats at the edges that will get caught on stuff. You could work 2 rows each colour with only 2 colours, or another option would be to use 3 colours and work only 1 row with each- you pick up whichever colour is waiting for you at the end of the row.

Ach well. Looks like I'm going to have a lot of ends to sew in at the end! I'm carrying the main colour which looks ok but I'm snipping off the other two after their rows. Thanks anyway!

I've decided what I'm going on to next - the Noro striped scarf. So pretty!
http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/2007/04/noro-scarf.html

I'm going for 211, 234 and 236. I just hope it looks as awesome as the other ones I've seen. http://www.getknitted.com/acatalog/info_NO_SG.html

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Klams Jam posted:

I've decided what I'm going on to next - the Noro striped scarf. So pretty!
http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/2007/04/noro-scarf.html

I'm going for 211, 234 and 236. I just hope it looks as awesome as the other ones I've seen. http://www.getknitted.com/acatalog/info_NO_SG.html

I have made two. My advice, keep knitting even if the colors don't seem to be gelling in the first few inches. They will work themselves out and it will look great.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/BadMitten
These are mine on Rav. I also recommend the Multi-directional scarf for Noro.

Zombina
Nov 25, 2007

brains...
Here is my finished scarf and beanie modelled by my neice. I'm very happy with how it came out, and she looks so cute!

Sorry about the dodgy phone picture, I couldn't get her to stay still!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007

Bad Mitten posted:

I have made two. My advice, keep knitting even if the colors don't seem to be gelling in the first few inches. They will work themselves out and it will look great.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/BadMitten
These are mine on Rav. I also recommend the Multi-directional scarf for Noro.

Haha - yours was one of the ones I looked at on Ravelry when trying to decided whether or not to splash out on the Noro. The the colours I picked all have a similar blue and a similar brown/taupe in them so I'm hoping they well look good together. I tried to stick with more muted tones too. If this one looks good I'm going to make my mum one for her Christmas - this one is all mine.