Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Silent Scourge
Aug 24, 2006
I Have Asthma

ToastyPotato posted:

I saw an OxiClean commercial without Billy which was jarring as hell.

The weird thing was, one or two commercials before that one was a simonize commercial starring Billy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

the-jam posted:

They already renewed it but haven't announced when it's coming back.
Reed, et al., have been sort-of liveblogging this summer here: http://blogs.discovery.com/storm_chasers/

Sean also has some posts on there updating the status of the new/improved TIV. When the new episodes are scheduled to come out I would guess the first announcement will be on this page.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I didn't look, but is the live blog full of spoilers? I know they will inevitably fail miserably again this year, but I want to at least have some hope. And if they succeed I definitely don't want to know about it from their own blog!

I guess Everest isn't coming back? It was kind of depressing sometimes, and on my TV, at least last season, the old dude who runs the operation had REALLY yellow teeth.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

It was surprising that the two captains I've always seen as the biggest dickheads to their respective crews (Keith and Sig) actually had some human moments this season. Granted, Keith's was mainly because he hosed up and injured his own brother, but Sig's compassion was a pretty huge contrast with how he usually seems to treat his crew. Abandoning his pots to bust into an ice-filled harbor, and promising to run a four-man deck rather than replacing the guy (even temporarily)? That's pretty awesome.

I never really saw Sig as a dickhead at all, I'd say hes my favorite captain of all of them. However, Kieth on the otherhand...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Am I the only person who likes Captain Phil the best? :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bombtrack posted:

I never really saw Sig as a dickhead at all, I'd say hes my favorite captain of all of them. However, Kieth on the otherhand...

Yeah what's the deal here, how is Sig a dickhead? Sig has always been pretty cool to me.

Time Bandit is a better boat though because, come on: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081633/

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
5 minutes into Discovery's movie "Deadliest Sea" and I can already say this poo poo is terrible. It's on the level of a Lifetime original movie.

Is this Discovery's first attempt at made-for-TV movies?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Am I the only person who likes Captain Phil the best? :(
Na, I am a big fan of Captain Phil and the Cornelia Marie. BUT I now have far more respect for Sig than I used to. No way in HELL I would work for Sig, but I respect him more now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Doronin posted:

5 minutes into Discovery's movie "Deadliest Sea" and I can already say this poo poo is terrible. It's on the level of a Lifetime original movie.

Oh it's totally a movie? I thought it was a documentary with reenactments.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

ToastyPotato posted:

Oh it's totally a movie? I thought it was a documentary with reenactments.

It's totally a movie based on the true story of some crabbing boat that had a date with death or something. It sucked pretty hard with all the awkward acting and terribly delivered lines, so I flipped over the ESPYs. So yeah, just a movie. No documentary to be seen.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Sig has always been the best captain and the Northwestern the best boat.

Keith has always been a terrible person in every way and the Wizard is worse than the North American, which is literally impossible but somehow manages to pull it off.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
The Colony starts up tomorrow. One half Monster Garage, one half social experiment. Ten people are charged with trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic environment for ten weeks. The website has an episode guide (light spoilers), an interesting Producer Q+A and some video clips and flash stuff. Of the three consultants, Adam Montella is the only one who seems to have a real web presence, and even then it's not much.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009
I have never seen Sig as anything but awesome to his crew, and you can tell his crew loves him.

Keith, on the other hand, has ALWAYS been a useless dickhead and I'm surprised he hasn't sunk his boat yet.

I like the Hillstrands the best but Sig is obviously the best captain on the show.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Doronin posted:

Perfect Storm II: Bering Sea Boogie is all I thought of. It didn't even have Marky-Mark and Clooney.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone else noticing the blatant Dunkin Donuts cups and signs on the Wizard this season?

edit: I'm dvr'd on this to skip the commercials. just got to the part where he changed the clock. That was hilarious.

Superdawg fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 22, 2009

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well, Discovery Channel Presents: Fallout is starting, lets hope it doesn't suck.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Well, Discovery Channel Presents: Fallout is starting, lets hope it doesn't suck.

I've been looking forward to this, but somehow the setup/style of it is already annoying the gently caress out of me.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

IRQ posted:

There better be somebody building a pip-boy by the time this is over.

Edit: Dunno how crazy I am about the "marauder" concept, as realistic as that might be in that scenario. It'd be more interesting and less acted-out to see the survivors tearing each other apart alone.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 22, 2009

Piggycow
Jun 27, 2007
Only 15 minutes in, but I think they should have opted for just using cctv/hidden cameras everywhere and simply watched everyone descend into madness. It seems really acted out with them having a camera crew following them around.

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
war

war never changes

edit: ahaha IF HE HAD BROKE THROUGH THAT DOOR I WOULDA

I WOULDA

uh

you.. you mess with my reality i'll mess with YOUR reality *brandishes pipe*

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Piggycow posted:

Only 15 minutes in, but I think they should have opted for just using cctv/hidden cameras everywhere and simply watched everyone descend into madness. It seems really acted out with them having a camera crew following them around.

Yeah, there's nothing new about this. It may as well be Survivor with challenges replaced with "raider attacks".

I hope they have the raiders beat the gently caress out of a couple of them to put things in perspective for them.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, how long til the tarp jackets and cannibalism?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Piggycow posted:

It'd be better if they just left out the one person interview things that is so goddman over done.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Piggycow posted:

Reminds me of a Fox reality show from about five years ago, about a bunch of normal schlups going through boot camp. It was looking pretty good until they started pulling the usual "vote them out/earn rewards" bullshit at the end of the episode and I realized that the "boot camp" aspect was just window dressing for a shameless Survivor ripoff.

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
Hahaha the handyman guy thinks he is hard as gently caress

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hawkman posted:

Hahaha the handyman guy thinks he is hard as gently caress

Hey man back off he knows how to build fences!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Wow, one night and they're acting like it's been six months in post-apocalyptica.

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.
Alright, I'm not buying this. I'm not feeling any tension as they grab the pipes and weapons to "defend" themselves.

Main dude of the new group looks like Richard Alpert from Lost.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well this kind of sucks unless they plan to add some sort of game element to it, and they sure don't seem to be going in that direction.

Are we really supposed to believe they're going to start hitting people with these pipes and poo poo? Come on.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Zimadori Zinger posted:

Alright, I'm not buying this. I'm not feeling any tension as they grab the pipes and weapons to "defend" themselves.

Main dude of the new group looks like Richard Alpert from Lost.

Yea. This is pretty bad.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zimadori Zinger posted:

Exactly, this is why this fails, there's zero potential for conflict at all.

Now if their night intruder turned out to be a supermutant or Enclave patrol I'd never stop watching. Ever.

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
What are they gonna do anyway this is a loving reality show, the worst they can do is ask the visitors to leave it's not like they're gonna beat them to death with their pipes

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.
^^Exactly.

The filtration stuff was mildly interesting. That was it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hawkman posted:

What are they gonna do anyway this is a loving reality show, the worst they can do is ask the visitors to leave it's not like they're gonna beat them to death with pipes

Well they could always just build a Rock-It Launcher and pelt each other with teddy bears.

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well they could always just build a Rock-It Launcher and pelt each other with teddy bears.
This show would get way better if there was a deathclaw

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Nah, they should arm each window with Railway Guns and snipe at passer-bys :smug:

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
The camera crew really kills it for me. You know the "Survivors" can't feel that isolated with cameramen following them around.

This is a post-apocalyptic survival show in the same way that Man vs. Wild is a wilderness survival show.

They should have gone the Survivorman route and added hidden cameras + made them film themselves.

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.
This would have been better as some kind of "what-if" show with dramatizations. Not a reality show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

timb posted:

The camera crew really kills it for me. You know the "Survivors" can't feel that isolated with cameramen following them around.

This is a post-apocalyptic survival show in the same way that Man vs. Wild is a wilderness survival show.

Man v. Wild was actually entertaining though, this is just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
They should arm the raiders with paintball guns and anyone who gets hit with a paintball is "dead" and has to leave the show. At least then there'd be something to lose

Plus maybe everyone would die but one guy and we'd get a few hilarious episodes of him becoming increasingly paranoid as raiders keep sneaking into the gigantic 80,000 foot warehouse and take his stuff when he's asleep

• Locked thread