Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

hi

this is fantastic, it is however begging for a stringsection

I think you should listen, and oblige.

Seconding this.

Also, do you absolutely need Midi In/Out to USB to assign any/everything to your midi controller? I'm using the USB 2.0 cable that came with my Axiom, but it just ignores me when I try to assign things in Ableton to the keys, and even knobs sometimes. My APC doesn't disobey me like that :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

RizieN posted:

Seconding this.

Also, do you absolutely need Midi In/Out to USB to assign any/everything to your midi controller? I'm using the USB 2.0 cable that came with my Axiom, but it just ignores me when I try to assign things in Ableton to the keys, and even knobs sometimes. My APC doesn't disobey me like that :/
No, you should be able to MIDI map to the Axiom over USB. Make sure you have it turned on under the system preferences.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
your problem is probably in the abletron midi settings, there's no reason it shouldn't work. I do knobs and faders with a trigger finger over USB all the time.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
To add to the previous posters - make sure "Remote" is highlighted.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yoozer posted:

To add to the previous posters - make sure "Remote" is highlighted.

yes do this a thousand times this

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
k so I finally achieved a totally loving badass kick and snare and whatnot. now how do i make the rest of the mix not suck balls:

bonus picture:

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

What software is considered the easiest to use out of the list in the main page for those who are just starting out and not completely with the lingo yet?

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003
Oompa Loompa Extraordinarie

mezzir posted:

k so I finally achieved a totally loving badass kick and snare and whatnot. now how do i make the rest of the mix not suck balls:

bonus picture:

I've been trying to make this kind of sound with ableton for maybe a year now and i've spent close to $200 on videos and other stuff. I would absolutely *love* to learn how you did this.

Even if I get a sound-breakdown of the first 5 seconds of the track, I can die a happy man.

Sounds badass by the way.

Edit: to avoid sounding open ended, could you tell me how you did the funk guitar sound? Was it sampled?

Rakshas fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 22, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

mezzir posted:

bonus picture:

yeah this rules

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
ps heres a demo of a song im working on

kinda like m83 dubstep

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

mezzir posted:

separate your sounds, push the vocals through (use EQ)

try mild distortion on the vocals with a 5khz boost and a 3-5khz gentle cut in the synth. 1khz gentle boost on the kick. Lowpass filter cut on the synth to 15khz maybe and boost 10-15khz on hats, add reverb as needed.

remove the limiter, turn all volume faders down and start from the bottom up with the levels. once you get it under control with something like +1db clip on the peaks only, you can throw the limiter back on, but for gods sake turn down the output gain. let the drat thing breathe.

its what I'd do with what you have now but uhm, i assume you're gonna add other poo poo eventually. (you should)

edit: doing all this should make your bassline stand out more as well.

edit2: which is good cuz its badass

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 22, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Spy posted:

What software is considered the easiest to use out of the list in the main page for those who are just starting out and not completely with the lingo yet?

Probably Reason.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

trill rear end posted:

ps heres a demo of a song im working on

kinda like m83 dubstep

totally diggin this. rare to see a liberal, yet good use of reverb, esp on the bass

oh also bout my tune, the acapella in it?
created by me from an instrumental and full version using phase cancellation
:chord:

edit:

@dude asking about software: try the demos. srsly, i know people for whom reason is like a magic bullet, and yet i've never been able to make sense of it. i started with flstudio and went to live eventually, its all personal preference.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 22, 2009

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

mezzir, i've got a question for you.

If you don't mind, will you shoot me an email at ch0pstik@gmail.com

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Maybe this is the wrong place for this, but...
I opened up Live 7 today to find that all the keys on my Axiom 25 except the upper F to upper A# have stopped functioning properly. If I press them down hard, I can see the MIDI input light flash in the upper right-hand corner of Live, but they won't trigger any sort of sound. If I don't press them hard, I don't see any sign of input at all. The F-A# range works perfectly well, but everything outside of that is hosed. All of the other controls (drum pads, knobs, mod wheels) work just fine otherwise. Is there anything I can do?

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003

Meatsplosion posted:

ProdigalSon: Your mix sounds good, I would maybe go back and spend some more time picking out really dope drumsamples and phattening up that bass synth, maybe with some pre-filter distortion and a nice ensemble/chorus. Check out Goldbaby if you're lacking in the drumsample department, they have really excellent samples of all kinds of old drum machines and their prices are extremely competitive.

I will give all of this a shot. Thanks for the Goldbaby tip, I might invest in that.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Im going to assume you mean mixing?

Yes, sorry I'm new at this and struggling to understand some of the things in this thread. Really appreciate all your guidance though, extremely helpful!!

Mannex posted:

I love this. The drums sound too harsh to me though. Maybe turn them down a little, and then turn the whole thing up?

Did you sample this from somewhere or did you play the sections yourself?

It's all sampled, thanks for the suggestion!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Mikhail Gorbachev posted:

Maybe this is the wrong place for this, but...
I opened up Live 7 today to find that all the keys on my Axiom 25 except the upper F to upper A# have stopped functioning properly. If I press them down hard, I can see the MIDI input light flash in the upper right-hand corner of Live, but they won't trigger any sort of sound. If I don't press them hard, I don't see any sign of input at all. The F-A# range works perfectly well, but everything outside of that is hosed. All of the other controls (drum pads, knobs, mod wheels) work just fine otherwise. Is there anything I can do?

I had a similar problem with my PCR-50 and what I did was open it up, remove the keys and tape a bit of stuff under them where they're supposed to hit the contact. That's a temporary fix and you will probably eventually need to get a new keyboard, but it will be usable for a little while like that. Be aware though that you're probably not going to have the full velocity range (I usually set my host to map the full range to 100-127 anyway, so it wasn't a huge difference to me).

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Thanks for the advice, but my little 25-key doesn't seem to want to open up. I've taken out all the screws but it still won't budge. Is there a catch somewhere? Google isn't helping...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
As per the advice of about 30 pages back to FINISH SOME loving SONGS here's a finished loving song.

Although I'm closing the project and not editing it anymore, critiques and advice would be awesome for my next song. I'm especially looking for ideas on how to make it less muddy, I couldn't figure out how to carve the EQ without gutting my instruments.

goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright so the best day ever will last all night.
looking for midi keyboard advice

i have never tried making electronic music before, but it's something i'm very passionate about getting into. i don't want my gear to restrict me in any way, but my budget might make that an issue.

i'm thinking a logical first step would be to buy a moderately priced midi keyboard. i would like to spend $150 or less. i've been looking at the axiom-25(lowest price i've seen is $100 used), the axiom-49($150 used), and the oxygen 61(lowest price $85 used). what should i buy goons? are there any other keyboards out there that do what i need? i currently have all the knobs and faders i need in a uc-33 midi controller, but i'm thinking i need a keyboard too.

what kind of difference would weighted keys make to a beginner? if i'm not mistaken that's the big difference between the axiom series and the oxygen.

will i need more than 25 keys or is it easy to play on different octaves with just that many?

also open to any other advice for someone starting on the path to production :3:

i currently have a desktop pc, reason, and a uc-33 midi controller

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

goatmouth posted:

looking for midi keyboard advice

i have never tried making electronic music before, but it's something i'm very passionate about getting into. i don't want my gear to restrict me in any way, but my budget might make that an issue.

i'm thinking a logical first step would be to buy a moderately priced midi keyboard. i would like to spend $150 or less. i've been looking at the axiom-25(lowest price i've seen is $100 used), the axiom-49($150 used), and the oxygen 61(lowest price $85 used). what should i buy goons? are there any other keyboards out there that do what i need? i currently have all the knobs and faders i need in a uc-33 midi controller, but i'm thinking i need a keyboard too.

what kind of difference would weighted keys make to a beginner? if i'm not mistaken that's the big difference between the axiom series and the oxygen.

will i need more than 25 keys or is it easy to play on different octaves with just that many?

also open to any other advice for someone starting on the path to production :3:

i currently have a desktop pc, reason, and a uc-33 midi controller

Have you played a piano before or is a midi keyboard going to be your first key-based instrument? Cause if you're a piano player, flimsy keys might bug you, but if you're not already accustomed to fully weighted nice keys, it seems silly to spend more for the time being at least on weighted keys.

goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright so the best day ever will last all night.

mezzir posted:

Have you played a piano before or is a midi keyboard going to be your first key-based instrument? Cause if you're a piano player, flimsy keys might bug you, but if you're not already accustomed to fully weighted nice keys, it seems silly to spend more for the time being at least on weighted keys.

to answer your question, i played piano when i was young and haven't touched it for many years. i think the feel of weighted keys would be nice, but not a necessity as long as the keyboard is velocity sensitive. i'm hoping people that had to make the same choice in high end or low end keyboards can share their feelings on the subject.

edit: right now i'm thinking you're right, though. since i haven't even started making music i don't know what i really need, and i might as well get something cheap to try it out.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I got my Axiom 61 off of ebay for $145 shipped and I absolutely love it

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
http://soundcloud.com/stranger-song/i-wish-you-could-talk-stranger-song-remix

Was cutting up this amen break like this a bad idea?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
sounds a bit weird, you've cut a fast loop to play a much slower beat with lots of space. I can hear a bunch of bleed and cutting artifacts

I think the drums would sound better if you dropped the pitch down a few steps but there isn't much you can do to clean it up without using different samples (unless you want to timestretch it to make things slower and lazier)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Naw its totally normal. Amens weren't always sped up so they crack with that breakneck speed. I'd think about raising the pitch just a little. Might make it snap a little better. You could stand rolling back the reverb on the snare. I like it a bunch, though. I think its great how messy the samples sound.

e:actually, now that i think about it, is there a slight delay before your kick? could just be me being crazy, something's not locking in right. Double check all the hit's starting points.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 23, 2009

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
yeah but there isnt a ton of low end in the song, I think droppin pitch would sound cool

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

IanTheM posted:

yeah, i dont really like it. and theres no velocity change of the stare its really static.

blintoh
Aug 29, 2006

Oh lord its doing it on the carpet.
I've been listening to a lot of DJ Shadow, and have previously dabbled in sampled music (and that crashed and burned). I'm trying to make my own sampled music now, and its going alright now, but I'm having a problem. I'm using Sony Acid Pro 5, and whenever I use "chop to new track" to create a loop out of my sample, it puts in a little bit of no sound on each end of the created loop (but the sample is sped up slightly so it still fits into the tempo). This makes the looping of samples very, very noticeable. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

the wizards beard posted:

yeah but there isnt a ton of low end in the song, I think droppin pitch would sound cool
that's very true. the drums just have to change, they can't stay like they are.

hj henhemjamib
Sep 16, 2007
simply follow these steps and you be Whammin

CRKramer posted:

I've been listening to a lot of DJ Shadow, and have previously dabbled in sampled music (and that crashed and burned). I'm trying to make my own sampled music now, and its going alright now, but I'm having a problem. I'm using Sony Acid Pro 5, and whenever I use "chop to new track" to create a loop out of my sample, it puts in a little bit of no sound on each end of the created loop (but the sample is sped up slightly so it still fits into the tempo). This makes the looping of samples very, very noticeable. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

Make sure you're setting the chopped sample to loop and not as 1shot or beatmapped. You also might want to try using the actual chopper tool (I think 5 has it). Worst case, you can set the track you're sampling from to 1shot, set the loop region around the bit you want to loop, and render out a wav file (make sure to check "Render looped region only"; this is how I usually do it).

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Here's a thing a friend and I did:

http://yfinder.de/prev/wayfinder_and_arisen_-_untitled-preview.mp3

Any comments welcome!

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

ManoliIsFat posted:

that's very true. the drums just have to change, they can't stay like they are.

I like its lazy feel though.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
wayfinder Jesus gently caress I had the volume on pretty high and that kick scared the poo poo out of me. Production wise I don't really feel anything wrong with it, asides from the style feeling a bit rinsed out.

I just went ahead and gave it some normal garage drums, I'll experiment with breaks/140 bpm jungle later:

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

mr_package posted:

I like its lazy feel though.

It just makes it sound dated and messy to me. It sounds like a Shut Up & Dance track the way it is, but I don't think the rest of the instrumentation vibes with that.

Maybe its me though, I just pretty consistently speed up or just pitch my amens. I may have been too harsh it could stay the way it is and be cool.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 24, 2009

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

ManoliIsFat posted:

It just makes it sound dated and messy to me. It sounds like a Shut Up & Dance track the way it is, but I don't think the rest of the instrumentation vibes with that.

Maybe its me though, I just pretty consistently speed up or just pitch my amens. I may have been too harsh it could stay the way it is and be cool.

Yeah I agree and think the samples should be replaced. But I dig its lurchiness quite a bit too.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Any mix/master/arrangement suggestions would be appreciated. I'm terrible at mixing and mastering and until I learn what to listen for it'll fly over my head every time. Doesn't help that I'm mixing on headphones either.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

IanTheM posted:

Whats going on in the low end on this, is there reverb on the kick? I try to avoid that because it seems to make it boom too much, but i like the dark murky low end here

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

Whats going on in the low end on this, is there reverb on the kick? I try to avoid that because it seems to make it boom too much, but i like the dark murky low end here

It's a really deep sub-bass. I remember the first time I tried to make a sub bass like that and played it out on a big system it created this ear splitting sine-tone and I had to turn it off, so I just made it -24 instead of -12 and viola. It's really physical and you need a sub turned up to actually get what it's doing. It's dubstep after-all, and I like subtle basses not the mid-range wobbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

IanTheM posted:

It's a really deep sub-bass. I remember the first time I tried to make a sub bass like that and played it out on a big system it created this ear splitting sine-tone and I had to turn it off, so I just made it -24 instead of -12 and viola. It's really physical and you need a sub turned up to actually get what it's doing. It's dubstep after-all, and I like subtle basses not the mid-range wobbles.

I applaud your experiments with using orchestral instruments in dance music, but you really ought to at least step up to a cello if you want some low end out of it.

• Locked thread