Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

h_double posted:

As a guitarist who has been trying to expand my bass chops a bit, this is incredibly useful on several levels. Thank you so much for posting these!

No prob...don't forget that if you add triplets, eight notes, and other kinds of fills, you can come up with a lot more variations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

You might say I'm dedicated, heh :c00lbert:

fake edit: God drat, I should have that mole with the hair looked at or something. That poo poo is nasty.

bitches aint shit
Jul 4, 2007
but hoes and tricks

bitches aint poo poo posted:

How much would a 30W solid state bass amp with a chromatic tuner be worth? I have no idea and I don't want to get ripped off

It's a Crate 30W I found out today after asking. $100 too much?

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
I overpaid for a Crate 50W back when I started playing bass. It's actually got halfway decent tone for what it is, but I definitely would like to be able to go back in time and stop myself. That said, it'll make a fine practice amp and will definitely let you learn the ropes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What is the best way to tighten up my technique? Im thinking I need more lessons since I picked up a lot of bad habits in the few years after I stopped getting lessons, but I dont have any interest in learning more theory, mainly because Im not creative enough to put it to use (and our guitarists write everything anyway)

Also, I have 2 basses - one tuned to Eb (regular scale) and the other tuned to Drop Db (bigger than usual scale). should I go heavier gauge strings on the Db bass? Currently using Ernie Balls (fluro yellow packaging) but have used purples in the past.

Also on the topic of strings, does anyone else find D'addarios to be really, really abrasive? i bought a pack as it was 2-for-1 and Im not even going to use the second set because they are that uncomfortable compared to Ernie Balls. and yeah, I only use round-wounds, so its not that Ive gone from flats to rounds and started cutting up my fingers.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Laserface posted:

Also on the topic of strings, does anyone else find D'addarios to be really, really abrasive? i bought a pack as it was 2-for-1 and Im not even going to use the second set because they are that uncomfortable compared to Ernie Balls. and yeah, I only use round-wounds, so its not that Ive gone from flats to rounds and started cutting up my fingers.

Now that you mention it, I just switched to those and my fingers are pretty sore, which usually never happens.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Laserface posted:

Also, I have 2 basses - one tuned to Eb (regular scale) and the other tuned to Drop Db (bigger than usual scale). should I go heavier gauge strings on the Db bass? Currently using Ernie Balls (fluro yellow packaging) but have used purples in the past.
Couldn't hurt to use the heavier gauge. What scale length is your Db bass?

quote:

You didn't by chance switch from Nickel-Plated Steel to Stainless Steel did you? I've found Stainless to be a good bit more abrasive.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005

Laserface posted:

What is the best way to tighten up my technique? Im thinking I need more lessons since I picked up a lot of bad habits in the few years after I stopped getting lessons, but I dont have any interest in learning more theory, mainly because Im not creative enough to put it to use (and our guitarists write everything anyway)

What parts of technique do you want to tighten up? Right hand, Left hand, etc.? And don't sell yourself short on creativity. In my experience learning more theory has done nothing but unlock creativity and even if you're not writing songs you bring your own flavor to the table with your bass lines. That's just my 2 cents though.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Anyone care to recommend some good ear training songs? I've spent the last few days exhausting my iTunes library and am running out of thing at my skill level (intermediate at best). I'm currently struggling through the chorus of "Owner of a Lonely Heart" but am down to learn any genre from country on up.

bitches aint shit
Jul 4, 2007
but hoes and tricks

Plastic Snake posted:

I overpaid for a Crate 50W back when I started playing bass. It's actually got halfway decent tone for what it is, but I definitely would like to be able to go back in time and stop myself. That said, it'll make a fine practice amp and will definitely let you learn the ropes.

So... $100 is an OK deal for something I would just be using as a practice amp? Serious question, it sounds like an OK deal to me.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So... $100 is an OK deal for something I would just be using as a practice amp? Serious question, it sounds like an OK deal to me.

Yeah, $100 is totally ok for a practice amp. As long as you can get a half decent sound out of it and, well, practice with it then you're gold. You'll eventually want to save up for something you can use on gigs but for now a $100 practice amp is fine.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

pantsfish posted:

Anyone care to recommend some good ear training songs? I've spent the last few days exhausting my iTunes library and am running out of thing at my skill level (intermediate at best). I'm currently struggling through the chorus of "Owner of a Lonely Heart" but am down to learn any genre from country on up.

I guess stuff that would be in the "not too advanced" area would be:

Graham Maby did some neat, melodic bass lines with Joe Jackson, that would be worth checking out.
Same with Bruce Thomas on the early stuff he did with Elvis Costello and the Attractions.
Any James Brown stuff.
Also, the rock band Free has some cool bass lines, while not being too advanced harmonically...mostly blues scale type stuff. They have a couple of "greatest hits" type albums, with good songs like "Mr. Big", "Walk In My Shadow", etc.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Seventh Arrow posted:

I guess stuff that would be in the "not too advanced" area would be:

Any James Brown stuff.

The slower stuff, sure, but some of his hard funk is just nuts, especially the stuff with Bootsy. Excellent endurance practice, though. I like to throw on "Love Power Peace" and play along until my fingers can't take it anymore. Lately I've been checking out a lot more funk and soul, and the Bar-Kays album "Soul Finger" would be a good bet for some simple, groovy bass lines. I like the Free suggestion; other classic blues rock bands with fairly easy bass parts that I can think of off the top of my head are Leaf Hound and Blue Cheer.

You also might want to try learning some reggae lines - they're generally fairly simple and repetitive, so you can really work on getting the syncopation down.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I'm actually just getting into funk stuff. My second practice song today was "Pusher Man," which is fun as poo poo and just challenging enough to make me want to keep going. There's nothing in the song I hear and doubt I can figure out.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If you want funk, pick up The Very Best of The Meters, and learn the entire album.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005

Scarf posted:

If you want funk, pick up The Very Best of The Meters, and learn the entire album.

This just begs to be quoted. Jungle Boogie by Kool and the Gang has a pretty fun line; I learned that one myself today, James Brown is always good but can get pretty difficult. But hey, no progress without pushing your abilities right?

bitches aint shit
Jul 4, 2007
but hoes and tricks
Few questions:

What is the general feeling on active pickups/EQ as opposed to passive? A friend of mine swears by passive everything and feels like he loses a lot of tone with active.

Fret size? I've been told that jumbo frets are the best if you're just learning.

Body type... is Agathis body generally considered poor quality? The same friend with the opinion on active/passive says he prefers a bass with a little more weight to it and that Agathis bodies tend to be poor quality.

I realize these all come down to personal preference but I wondered if maybe there was a consistent agreement as to the benefits/downsides of each of the things.

I took a look at the front page recommended starter basses, and I dig the Ibanez, but I can afford a little bit more now and have been recommended ESP basses by nearly all of my friends who play bass. The bass I'm leaning towards heavily right now is this one:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B154DX-Bass-Guitar?sku=516171

Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
Active/passive is entirely preference. If you want a edgier, more modern tone, active pickups will help you towards that. At the same time, passives have less 'bite', and get more vintage tones.

Fret size really won't make a difference, but some people might notice. I've never picked up an instrument before and thought to myself, "these are jumbo frets" (as a frame of reference, the jazz bass that's been my workhorse for the last 4 years has jumbo frets, so maybe i'm just used to them)

Body type is, again, preference. This is one subject I'm not really knowledgeable on, but people do usually have their favorites.

That bass looks like it's suited more for modern/alternative rock/metal, so if that's your style, go for it. It might be good for other things, though- I've never played one personally. I really really really recommend you try to find one in-store; Two of the exact same instrument can feel and play pretty differently, or you may just not like the instrument at all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Plastic Snake posted:

What parts of technique do you want to tighten up? Right hand, Left hand, etc.? And don't sell yourself short on creativity. In my experience learning more theory has done nothing but unlock creativity and even if you're not writing songs you bring your own flavor to the table with your bass lines. That's just my 2 cents though.

my right hand (fingering hand, left handed). I play with a pick and can pick as fast as I need to, mainly have trouble with my fretting hand struggling to keep up or just being sloppy in general. I suck at making certain shapes/chords and my 'tunnelling' sucks balls completely. I use way too much power to compensate for most of it and just ends up being tiring and messy.

Scarf posted:

Couldn't hurt to use the heavier gauge. What scale length is your Db bass?

You didn't by chance switch from Nickel-Plated Steel to Stainless Steel did you? I've found Stainless to be a good bit more abrasive.

Db axe is a Gibson Thunderbird my friend built, which is 1" larger than an Epiphone that we modelled it off. my Eb is a Warwick Rockbass Corvette. Using the D'addarios on that, and they suck. We only have 2 songs in Db so I dont use the T-bird that much, but the ernies on it are pretty drat old and feel a lot nicer to play.

no idea if i switched from nickel to SS strings. I know I prefer ernies though.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
I'd say concentrate on keeping your thumb behind the neck. Make sure the pressure you're using to push the strings down comes from the weight of your arm and not entirely wrist strength. This will help cut down on fatigue and in turn make it easier to play more quickly and smoothly. It takes a lot less power than you think to adequately fret notes, so practice pressing as lightly as is necessary to eliminate string buzzing.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "tunnelling", as I've never heard that term before. If you just mean leading/transitioning from one fretboard position to the next, that just comes with practice. Get yourself a metronome (or use an online one, I like this one) and practice everything you're bad at. Scales and arpeggios are always useful.

Stretching is also good to help alleviate any tension you might have in your hand or wrist as well. Make a conscious effort to keep all your muscles relaxed and your wrists as straight and comfortable as you can. Once you train yourself into the habit of doing this it will become second nature and your stamina and chops will have room to improve greatly.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B154DX-Bass-Guitar?sku=516171

Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I don't have any particular experience with that model, but LTDs are fine instruments; The quality in the LTDs I have tried so far has been far higher than their price suggests. I find that LTD have a consitently higher quality than most other entry and mid-level basses out there.

Seconding that you should try a instrument before you buy it though; Individual instruments within a model can and will vary a lot.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Plastic Snake posted:

I'd say concentrate on keeping your thumb behind the neck. Make sure the pressure you're using to push the strings down comes from the weight of your arm and not entirely wrist strength. This will help cut down on fatigue and in turn make it easier to play more quickly and smoothly. It takes a lot less power than you think to adequately fret notes, so practice pressing as lightly as is necessary to eliminate string buzzing.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "tunnelling", as I've never heard that term before. If you just mean leading/transitioning from one fretboard position to the next, that just comes with practice. Get yourself a metronome (or use an online one, I like this one) and practice everything you're bad at. Scales and arpeggios are always useful.

Stretching is also good to help alleviate any tension you might have in your hand or wrist as well. Make a conscious effort to keep all your muscles relaxed and your wrists as straight and comfortable as you can. Once you train yourself into the habit of doing this it will become second nature and your stamina and chops will have room to improve greatly.

Tunneling - for example, playing 3rd fret on E and 1st on A - the finger on E is making a tunnel over the A string. Its probably called something else but thats what I was told it was called.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Laserface posted:

Db axe is a Gibson Thunderbird my friend built, which is 1" larger than an Epiphone that we modelled it off. my Eb is a Warwick Rockbass Corvette. Using the D'addarios on that, and they suck. We only have 2 songs in Db so I dont use the T-bird that much, but the ernies on it are pretty drat old and feel a lot nicer to play.

no idea if i switched from nickel to SS strings. I know I prefer ernies though.
While the actual bass itself may be an inch longer... they are both 34" scale length, therefore unless you just want tighter strings, there's no need to beef up the gauge.

And EB makes both stainless and nickel rounds... Same with D'A and most every other major string manufacturer. It's likely that's what happened.

edit: Nevermind didn't see that you said your friend BUILT it. If it's actually 35" scale length then yeah, you could stand to switch to a heavier gauge, but it wouldn't be absolutely necessary imo.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

If it's actually 35" scale length then yeah, you could stand to switch to a heavier gauge, but it wouldn't be absolutely necessary imo.
Unsure how to interpret his comment on the 1" larger either. If it is a 35" scale bass, he'd (most likely, but bass dependent) require 'super long' strings.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

This is the transcribing stuff that's been keeping me busy these days...most of it's pretty easy, although Ron Carter can have some weird note choices sometimes. Walking bass lines can also be tricky because there's more than enough records where the bass gets buried under the band.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Laserface posted:

Tunneling - for example, playing 3rd fret on E and 1st on A - the finger on E is making a tunnel over the A string. Its probably called something else but thats what I was told it was called.

You're the first person I've heard use that term. If you're really struggling with your fretting hand, try adjusting the height of your bass; a change in the angle of the neck in relation to my hand solved most of my fretting problems.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
The book "Bass Fitness" also has lots of good exercises for improving hand strength and flexibility. One good exercise is to do one finger per fret starting at the seventh and working your way down to the first. Tabbed out it would look like this:

code:
----------------------------7-8-9-10------------------------6-7-8-9
-------------------7-8-9-10-------------------------6-7-8-9--------
----------7-8-9-10--------------------------6-7-8-9----------------
-7-8-9-10---------------------------6-7-8-9------------------------
And so on down as far as you can comfortably go. Don't worry if you can't make it down to the first fret at first, it can be quite a stretch down there. Don't move into painful territory and remember to keep your muscles loose and relaxed. Take it slow and you should see improvement within a couple weeks. Add as many variations as you can think of to this exercise as well. Do it in reverse (From the G string down to the E), Try to hold your fingers on whatever note they fretted last until they're needed again, etc.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Scarf posted:

Got the first half of that suggestion done - now to work on the second half...

One final request: Can anyone name some more melodic stuff to practice as well? My vocabulary is kind of lacking but I'm looking for stuff like Andy Rourke did for the Smiths - lots of harmonizing and longer lines that could cover a whole section of the song without repetition. I'm probably doing too much of a shotgun approach here but I want to make sure all my bases are covered as it pertains to chart songs vs. riff songs.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pantsfish posted:

Got the first half of that suggestion done - now to work on the second half...

One final request: Can anyone name some more melodic stuff to practice as well? My vocabulary is kind of lacking but I'm looking for stuff like Andy Rourke did for the Smiths - lots of harmonizing and longer lines that could cover a whole section of the song without repetition. I'm probably doing too much of a shotgun approach here but I want to make sure all my bases are covered as it pertains to chart songs vs. riff songs.

Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead comes to mind. But really the best way to pick up on melodic playing is just being familiar with your scales and being able to work through them given a key.

bitches aint shit
Jul 4, 2007
but hoes and tricks

dissin department posted:

That bass looks like it's suited more for modern/alternative rock/metal, so if that's your style, go for it. It might be good for other things, though- I've never played one personally. I really really really recommend you try to find one in-store; Two of the exact same instrument can feel and play pretty differently, or you may just not like the instrument at all.

I will definitely be testing multiple instruments out in store before I make any purchases, but at the moment that bass is what I'm looking for. And if that's what style it's most suited for, I imagine I would be very happy with it.

Thanks for the advice and input

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'd just like to point out that although most LTDs look very aggressive, the ones I have tried, including the one I own, have a very versatile tone and could probably be used for drat near anything.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008
Lately, I have been having trouble resisting the siren call of the Gibson SG bass. I can't even explain why. I had the Epi version for a while, and I kind of hated it. I have played the Gibson version in stores and the two instruments are not even a fair comparison.

Why in the world have I been wanting a short scale bass somewhat similar to a short scale bass I had and hated?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

pantsfish posted:

It might not be exactly what you're looking for but what about a bit of Peter Hook or Simon Gallup? (Joy Division / The Cure) Those two as well as Rourke's stuff were always my favorites, though I'm sure you know a few, as everyone does.

Joy Division's 24 Hours is a good example that people are still trying to copy today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zo4JdTfDw0

Really can't beat Barbarism Begins At Home, though. That song is a joy to play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nCJXow_H8Q

black_mastermind posted:

Gibson SG bass.
Ah, but they just feel so... wrong..

Lovechop fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 24, 2009

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Lovechop posted:

Ah, but they just feel so... wrong..

yeah, they do feel all wrong. but mike watt and dan maines make them sound so good, and that doesn't help matters.

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
Hey I was wondering if anybody here could help me get a certain tone. I mostly play upright but I also have a fretless Jazz bass and a Fender Rumble 100w amp I got a few years ago. Transporting my upright is a pain in the rear end sometimes, so does anybody know a decent way to try and mimic the upright sound on my electric?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MarionetteOwl posted:

Hey I was wondering if anybody here could help me get a certain tone. I mostly play upright but I also have a fretless Jazz bass and a Fender Rumble 100w amp I got a few years ago. Transporting my upright is a pain in the rear end sometimes, so does anybody know a decent way to try and mimic the upright sound on my electric?

Get some La Bella nylon tapewound strings, and shove some foam under the strings at the bridge.

http://www.juststrings.com/lab-760n.html

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
I was getting bass lessons a while ago but have since stopped.

My teacher said that one of the best things he's found to improve his ear and overall playing is just by trying to transcribe songs by ear (rather than reading tab). He showed me some program that allowed him to load an .mp3 into it, and would 'isolate' the bass sound as best as it could (obviously this would differ depending on the production of the song). In addition to that, you could slow it right down, and loop different parts etc.

Because I listen to a lot of punk, the production generally isn't as good as, say, lots of mainstream pop. That combined with the fact that it's generally a lot faster makes it really hard for me to transcribe songs by ear.

Does anyone know what this program is? I found one called Transcribe! that seems really excellent, but as far as I can tell, it won't let me 'isolate' the bass sound like this other program did. So while I can slow it down and loop parts, I still find it really hard to discern the bass tone in the mix in a lot of cases.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If you go into the EQ section of Transcribe!, it'll let you boost the bass but I haven't seen a program that isolates it entirely. That said, Transcribe! is a good program for learning music and worth getting. Also, unless punk bass has radically changed in the last while, I think a lot of it is root notes and shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

If you go into the EQ section of Transcribe!, it'll let you boost the bass but I haven't seen a program that isolates it entirely. That said, Transcribe! is a good program for learning music and worth getting. Also, unless punk bass has radically changed in the last while, I think a lot of it is root notes and shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Thanks man. Would you be able to post an example of an EQ that's modified to boost the bass? I've not had any experience with EQs at all and have no idea where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

Get some La Bella nylon tapewound strings, and shove some foam under the strings at the bridge.

http://www.juststrings.com/lab-760n.html

Actually... you may want to instead try some Rotosound TruBass 88 tapewounds. I found them to be much more "woody" sounding when I had them.

Can't go wrong with either though, imo.