Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I figured out what could save this show:

Click here for the full 647x343 image.

A "Humongous" plant in the colonists. He'll be a sadistically-eloquent, muscle-ridden, ex-marine who tries to convince the men in the group that the only way to survive is the enslavement of the weak and the women. Now THAT'S quality TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.
I'll watch because it was fun posting about it with you guys :)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

MrDorf posted:

Eh, it's no Whale Wars.

It's post-apocalyptic whale wars

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Boru posted:

A "Humongous" plant in the colonists. He'll be a sadistically-eloquent, muscle-ridden, ex-marine who tries to convince the men in the group that the only way to survive is the enslavement of the weak and the women. Now THAT'S quality TV.
That is what Mike is for

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boru posted:

I'd call this a drastic improvement.

What they really need is a goal. Just surviving is boring as hell...they need to find and ninja their way into the raider camp at night and steal supplies/put rat poo poo in their water supply for a few days of peace.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Overbite posted:

Not even remotely loving close. Whale Wars is seriously the best reality show on television ever. If you haven't seen it, you need to...this poo poo pales in comparison.

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.

MrDorf posted:

What they really need is a goal. Just surviving is boring as hell...they need to find and ninja their way into the raider camp at night and steal poo poo/put rat poo poo in their water supply.

Yeah. Whining about food and water and security makes no sense when there are cameramen and a fully equipped crew with medical supplies in the same place.

I hope for all of their sakes they're not seriously whining and getting this stressed out.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Zimadori Zinger posted:

I hope for all of their sakes they're not seriously whining and getting this stressed out.

But.. but there's two-person motorcycle gangs beating up our garage doors!

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.

iastudent posted:

But.. but there's two-person motorcycle gangs beating up our garage doors!

I also liked the solution to fixing those flimsy doors was chaining them shut. No one's gonna cut through those. Hell, no one's going to have some kind of sledgehammer and try to bash the door down since we were shown how shoddy the doors were.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Overbite posted:

But they're doing poo poo well and they're organized and know what to do. That's why this is scripted.

Why does that guy have to KICK everything? That's such a loving terrible thing to do when you're showing how flimsy something is.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Ehh, I liked it. For the limitations inherent in such a show, I think it played out well enough. Nice engineering and scrounging. If you're on the show, you can try to play it serious, but you're going to hear cars and poo poo outside, so it'll never be 100%.

I saw the rain gutter pipe looked new as well. The warehouse was probably stocked with poo poo like that, the participants are just not told what the things are outright, it's up to them to find it or make use of it. Would be neat to hear the producers talk about what they provided that wasn't used or used in different ways than they thought after the season is over.

At some point during the season they need to pick one of the people off, totally take them out of the show and never explain what happened to them. Would probably throw them off. Just take one of the overnight guard people out of the experiment and leave door/gate open.

Teek fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 22, 2009

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
There needs to be some sort of objective. Like they need to bolster defenses and have 2 days before a raider attack. Or maybe they get news of a drought and need to save water. Or even add human elements, like meeting strangers, and figuring out whether or not to help them.

Meh. It just makes me miss Jericho, as far as post-apocalyptic TV show goodness goes :(.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
^^ From the episode descriptions and preview, I think we'll be getting stuff like that, "theme" episodes where they have a goal. This was just a settle in episode.

I'd like to see more of their garden. Not sure they'll be able to grow stuff in 10 weeks. I assume this was shot in the spring, so maybe stuff will grow. It already looks like they planted during the rain footage. Maybe they'll show that next week.

I wonder if the doctor will perform any medical assistance, like stitches or minor-surgery.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 22, 2009

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.

Teek posted:

I wonder if the doctor will perform any medical assistance, like stitches or minor-surgery.

Since they've made it pretty clear no one is going to get really hurt, I wouldn't count on it. :/

Morose Moose
Mar 21, 2009

"I got this at the school library. Did you know you could just borrow books from there?"
I got really into it, until I realized it's a very controlled experiment. I understand the limitations in this scenario since L.A. hasn't been hit by bio warfare, but it doesn't feel post-apocalyptic enough to me. Cool idea though.

Maybe I'm being too much of a cynic.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
You know if the captains of the Wizard were really such good friends with Russel. Why the hell would they try and give him to Keith? Are they trying to him?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Eh, that the Hillstrands are actively trying to hook him up with a job is actually really cool in my opinion.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Oh I know that. They are being really great to him, just wanted to make a joke.

Also seeing Jake break down crying in the bridge was sad as hell. "She can run now" :smith:

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.

IRQ posted:

Eh, that the Hillstrands are actively trying to hook him up with a job is actually really cool in my opinion.

I would never want to be on that boat though. There is absolutely no loyalty, which is fine its a business, but if I were ever on a boat I would rather be on the Northwestern or Cornelia Marie where it seems like as long as you do your job they will stay loyal to you.

Also they are the only boat that always have 2 people on board doing nothing, I assume Jonathon and the other brother both take a share even though they don't do anything, is it another brother? The guy who was in the wheelhouse tonight doing nothing

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrDingleDangle posted:

I would never want to be on that boat though. There is absolutely no loyalty, which is fine its a business, but if I were ever on a boat I would rather be on the Northwestern or Cornelia Marie where it seems like as long as you do your job they will stay loyal to you.

Also they are the only boat that always have 2 people on board doing nothing, I assume Jonathon and the other brother both take a share even though they don't do anything, is it another brother? The guy who was in the wheelhouse tonight doing nothing

Johnathan owns the boat, Andy just captains for opies.

At least that's what I thought was going on with all that. But I also don't think it's a job where job security is a huge thing either, even on the boats you say keep people no matter what.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Well it was just last week where I think Jonathon said most people only last 6-7 years at best on their boat before they get tired of them. Doesn't really seem that way on other boats, but who knows.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Piggycow posted:

Only 15 minutes in, but I think they should have opted for just using cctv/hidden cameras everywhere and simply watched everyone descend into madness. It seems really acted out with them having a camera crew following them around.

This was pretty much my ideal Big Brother series. I utterly loving despise those 'reality' shows and the only one I would ever watch would be one that drives its contestants into permanent psychosis.

Imagine: The contestants go into the BB house in some waaaaay out of the way location. Somewhere that they can't hear traffic noises, see city lights or even overflying planes. Surround the compound with a huge gently caress-off wall and big steel gates that no-one inside could ever hope to get through/over/under.

For the first few weeks, everything would proceed as a normal Big Brother season. The inane narcissists go about their business. Crappy competitions. Lots of alcohol. Talking about sex. Lounging in the freshwater pool. Listening to pronouncements by Big Brother telling them what to do.

Then, on week three, everything stops. All the power goes out. No more Big Brother over the loudspeakers. Nothing. All the external cameras (apparently) power down. Even the water gets shut off (they could drink from the pool).

Nothing but silence.

Then we wait.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Then we wait.
You've seen Dead Set, right?

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

MrDingleDangle posted:

That other guy that was in the wheel house was also their brother, Neal. He works out on the deck, but I think they pulled him in for this or something. Only thing that made sense in my mind when I saw them talking to him about it.

I thought that was real nice of them to get him that in over on the Wizard. I don't think they told him, so I wonder if that will have a big impact on their relationship(s). I'd assume so, if he thinks they just left him out to dry.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Teek posted:

I'd like to see more of their garden. Not sure they'll be able to grow stuff in 10 weeks. I assume this was shot in the spring, so maybe stuff will grow. It already looks like they planted during the rain footage. Maybe they'll show that next week.

It looked to me like the gardens were pre-planted and the colonists will just have to tend them.

I'm sure there's a little creative manipulation on the part of the production crew. The fact that the Computer Engineer suddenly remembers how to make a water purifier... and look, charcoal and sand are readily available... I imagine someone pulled him aside before the "experiment"-proper began and said "You can make a water purifier by layering charcoal and sand in a container." Some "tasks" like deciding to see if the plumbing is working in the dark at the end of day 1 I'm confident was something the colonists came up with on their own. The Electricity/Car Battery thing seems like something they might have been nudged into.

As far as everyone griefing over the presence of cameramen, well that's just the name of the game. I didn't see anyone griping over this in the Alaska Experiment where some shots were constructed and the hikers were prompted with questions and had expert off-camera support as well. Colonists are still mugging for the camera and stuff, but we're only 4 days deep - lets see how people are behaving at the start of week 3.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Scarecrow411 posted:

It looked to me like the gardens were pre-planted and the colonists will just have to tend them.

I'm sure there's a little creative manipulation on the part of the production crew. The fact that the Computer Engineer suddenly remembers how to make a water purifier... and look, charcoal and sand are readily available... I imagine someone pulled him aside before the "experiment"-proper began and said "You can make a water purifier by layering charcoal and sand in a container." Some "tasks" like deciding to see if the plumbing is working in the dark at the end of day 1 I'm confident was something the colonists came up with on their own. The Electricity/Car Battery thing seems like something they might have been nudged into.

As far as everyone griefing over the presence of cameramen, well that's just the name of the game. I didn't see anyone griping over this in the Alaska Experiment where some shots were constructed and the hikers were prompted with questions and had expert off-camera support as well. Colonists are still mugging for the camera and stuff, but we're only 4 days deep - lets see how people are behaving at the start of week 3.

Yea, building a water purifier isn't that hard. Anyone who's seen a few episodes of Survivorman or read a survival manual would know how to do it. The guy is 65 and has a Grizzly Adams beard, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's had some life experience with the outdoors.

As for the batteries and inverter, well, you've got an electrical engineer, a handyman, a machinist and several other people that would full well know how to hook that up. People buy inverters all the time at Wal-Mart to power their laptops with in their cars.

Hooking the batteries up in parallel rather than series to increase the amp hours is basic electronics. I knew that poo poo when I was 9 from Radio Shack project books.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah I wouldn't expect Discovery to foot the bill for dozens of static cameras as opposed to a handful of camera men. It would have been WAAAY cooler though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I could see them doing that at some point. I think static cameras may only work though in smaller more confined environments, where you can get better angles. The factory space is so big it may be hard to get important stuff recorded even with a lot of cameras.

If there is a season 2, I'd like to see it somewhere in the midwest, away from population centers out in the country. Would probably be more authentic in terms of not hearing sirens, trains, etc.. You could even have Fallout 3-esque travelling caravans stop by to trade goods.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

timb posted:

Yea, building a water purifier isn't that hard. Anyone who's seen a few episodes of Survivorman or read a survival manual would know how to do it. The guy is 65 and has a Grizzly Adams beard, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's had some life experience with the outdoors.

As for the batteries and inverter, well, you've got an electrical engineer, a handyman, a machinist and several other people that would full well know how to hook that up. People buy inverters all the time at Wal-Mart to power their laptops with in their cars.

Hooking the batteries up in parallel rather than series to increase the amp hours is basic electronics. I knew that poo poo when I was 9 from Radio Shack project books.

I'm not saying a group 10 engineers, handymen and building contractors couldn't wire batteries to an inverter - heck, any nine year old with some Radio Shack books can do that. I'm suggesting that a pile of batteries, wires and a nearby AC Inverter might have been a softball pitch from the producers. This project was second only to water filtration in their activities and it's upkeep and maintenance will drive future projects. It might just be that the electricity project was the most visually interesting so it got more airtime, and that the colonists saw this as lowest hanging fruit of all the projects they wanted to accomplish.

As for Grizzly Adams, he goes from "Well, I'm a computer engineer at IBM... so I don't know if my skillset will be useful in this environment..." to "I know how we can filter our water!" over the course of a commercial break. We even got a little exposition when he talked to about his deceased son and tossed a little memorial in the filtration system. It could have been awkward if he shoe horned a "Samstone" into the toilet flushing or battery wiring.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Here's a good question: why wasn't this shot in Poland or the Ukraine? They have actual areas where they have the kind of industrial desolation they paid to create here. And probably violent neo-Nazi motorcycle gangs, too.

Scarecrow411 posted:

I'm not saying a group 10 engineers, handymen and building contractors couldn't wire batteries to an inverter - heck, any nine year old with some Radio Shack books can do that.
This was actually a show that was alot better than this. Rough Science was pretty entertaining. Every now and then Discovery Science runs a season of it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I'm guessing the factory is stocked with random crap useful in the things they build, they'll just have to find them and find ways to make use of them. So they have the huge plastic container for water, but it was their idea to make the logical leap to combine it with the large metal shelves and nearby stairs into the large scale workable water filtration system.

So as they scrounge they can find widget X placed there by the show and not do anything with it, but several weeks in as they start a project they'll finally find a use for it. Which may or may not have been what the producers intended for that item.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Here's a good question: why wasn't this shot in Poland or the Ukraine? They have actual areas where they have the kind of industrial desolation they paid to create here. And probably violent neo-Nazi motorcycle gangs, too.

This was actually a show that was alot better than this. Rough Science was pretty entertaining. Every now and then Discovery Science runs a season of it.

You mean why wasn't this shot in Detroit?

cadmium
Feb 16, 2002

Just 'aving a laff...
Everyone can take a poo poo on The Colony for being contrived... but I liked it well enough. It's not perfect, but it's good for what it is.

If you can't deal with contrivances on a post-apocalyptic basic cable reality show then you should probably adjust your expectations.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Some one said they need it to film it some where else that is more kind of desolated. How about Chernobyl? It fits the theme.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Some one said they need it to film it some where else that is more kind of desolated. How about Chernobyl? It fits the theme.

GET OUT OF HERE STALKER
GET OUT OF HERE STALKER
GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

(Yes, I want to see this.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

404GoonNotFound posted:

You've seen Dead Set, right?

Actually, that's the first I've heard of it. I'll have to track it down. Thanks.

Still, I really would like to see them do that to a unsuspecting group of people.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

ToastyPotato posted:

You mean why wasn't this shot in Detroit?
Because the people squatting in there would interfere with the production. The Poles haven't lived in their industrial shitheaps since Solidarnosc.

Darth Freddy posted:

I don't think the Ukrainian government would be okay with people living for ten weeks inside a quarantine zone, but then that probably wouldn't be a problem for the Ukraine of all nations. I remember Vice going to Chernobyl and bribing their tour guide into letting them hunt wolves with Ukrainian military rifles. Drinking the water and farming there would put you at a significant risk of cancer, but nothing else short of wandering into Wormwood would. The wildlife isn't much of a problem given Discovery's willingness to throw people into the middle of Alaska, but there's still the chance of them encountering gunrunners and the violent drunks that squat there.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Still, I really would like to see them do that to a unsuspecting group of people.
I don't think that you can legally pull that kind of surprise on people. At least you can't within the scientific community, but I don't see why the entertainment industry should differ that greatly. You'd still have to deliberately mislead them as to the nature of their employment.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Superdawg posted:

That other guy that was in the wheel house was also their brother, Neal. He works out on the deck, but I think they pulled him in for this or something. Only thing that made sense in my mind when I saw them talking to him about it.

I thought that was real nice of them to get him that in over on the Wizard. I don't think they told him, so I wonder if that will have a big impact on their relationship(s). I'd assume so, if he thinks they just left him out to dry.

The other guy in the wheel house is their other brother who I believe is maintenance guy on the ship he just doesnt like talking to the cameras and avoids being on camera if I remember correctly.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn
The colony would have been so much better if it was 100% fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
MAN! the Colony is bad rear end!
I need to keep this one on the DVR.

I am totally expecting the Handyman to smack one of the intruders with a pipe before the season is out. Fuckin rad.

• Locked thread