Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Digital_Demon posted:

Got an email in my box just a little bit ago that we have RTM on Win 7. Woo!

Way to out yourself ;)

Excellent news, I know most of us have been using this since January but it's awesome to have it finalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Yep, straight from MS: http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/07/22/windows-7-has-been-released-to-manufacturing.aspx

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
To confirm the exact build number, there's this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/stevecla01/archive/2009/07/22/windows-7-is-done-rtm-announced.aspx

quote:

The final geek kudos for Windows 7 is getting the RTM bits installed before you buddies. Sad but true. The final build number for Long and others is 7600.16385.090713-1255

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

Maybe your laptop's HDMI port is video only.

I've checked about actually, and it seems to do both video and audio most of the time. But like fishmech says it's a bit dodgy even with Vista and XP.

I found a pair of speakers, though, and I'm just using them in conjunction with the HDMI. It seems to work fairly well so far, probably better than the TV speaker to be honest. I might upgrade the speakers to a properly decent set in future if I have the cash.

Thanks for the help anyway. I'm glad I'll be able to keep windows 7, I like it a lot for most anything else.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What is the newest version of Windows 7 that will be made available for the beta participants? I just want to make sure I download the latest version before the beta download time frame expires.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

xarph posted:

If you're going to be using this thing for personal use, the best deal in Microsoft land is a Technet Plus Direct subscription. You get full disk images of all the OSs and applications they currently support; each of the retail keys can be activated ten times. The catch is that you absolutely cannot use them in a production environment or let anyone else use them. There is no time limit on the installs.

$350/year, you also get a free phone support incident and access to moderated newsgroups (forums for you young whippersnappers).

Considering an Ultimate retail release of Vista was $300, it's worth every penny.
Wow, I never knew this. You're right this sounds like a very good deal.

Am I reading the description correctly in that you also get Office?

Edit: Yes you do and if you spend time searching for a coupon, you can get it for $261.

Sorry for the derail, but thanks for this tip!

Cheesus fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 22, 2009

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
The RC (build 7100) is as recent as it will get.

Digital_Demon
Nov 28, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Way to out yourself ;)

Excellent news, I know most of us have been using this since January but it's awesome to have it finalized.

Haha, it ain't no secret!

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002
Is there such a thing as an Upgrade or Full product key? Or are the keys interchangeable with the media simply being different?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

wang souffle posted:

Is there such a thing as an Upgrade or Full product key? Or are the keys interchangeable with the media simply being different?

The media is mostly the same I believe, but certainly there are upgrade and full license keys, as always. The main thing you're purchasing when you buy Windows is the key (read: license).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

wang souffle posted:

The opposite, actually, the media will be universal but the keys will have different patterns; an "upgrade edition" disc will install as a full edition if you give it a full version key, whereas a "full edition" disc will require an activated older OS installation if you try to use an upgrade key.

VV Not legally.

univbee fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 23, 2009

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002

univbee posted:

The opposite, actually, the media will be universal but the keys will have different patterns; an "upgrade edition" disc will install as a full edition if you give it a full version key, whereas a "full edition" disc will require an activated older OS installation if you try to use an upgrade key.
Interesting. Is there a way to upgrade a W7 RC installation using the RTM build (assuming there's a legal way to obtain it) and activate it using one of the discounted "upgrade" keys?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Xachariah posted:

I've checked about actually, and it seems to do both video and audio most of the time. But like fishmech says it's a bit dodgy even with Vista and XP.
I had an M1330 and I can guarantee audio via HDMI (with vista x64) worked.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I've got a weird problem in Windows 7 and I hope someone else has had the same thing happen and found a solution:
My symbols keep getting messed up. The ones above the numbers and the other sings like [ and ?. I can hit CTRL+SHIFT and it goes back to normal, but it's really annoying, especially when typing in passwords where you can't really see what's going wrong. There's nothing I specifically have to do to get this, it just reverts every once in a while. It also doesn't matter whether I change the keyboard or OS language to Dutch of back again to English.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

EricBauman posted:

I've got a weird problem in Windows 7 and I hope someone else has had the same thing happen and found a solution:
My symbols keep getting messed up. The ones above the numbers and the other sings like [ and ?. I can hit CTRL+SHIFT and it goes back to normal, but it's really annoying, especially when typing in passwords where you can't really see what's going wrong. There's nothing I specifically have to do to get this, it just reverts every once in a while. It also doesn't matter whether I change the keyboard or OS language to Dutch of back again to English.

Have you looked in accessability options for stickeykeys, etc.? You may be triggering these accidently with the keyboard shortcuts.

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

xarph posted:

If you're going to be using this thing for personal use, the best deal in Microsoft land is a Technet Plus Direct subscription. You get full disk images of all the OSs and applications they currently support; each of the retail keys can be activated ten times. The catch is that you absolutely cannot use them in a production environment or let anyone else use them. There is no time limit on the installs.

What is exactly is the definition of a production environment? Is my personal machine at home a production environment? What about a development machine at work?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

xarph posted:

$350/year, you also get a free phone support incident and access to moderated newsgroups (forums for you young whippersnappers).

Considering an Ultimate retail release of Vista was $300, it's worth every penny.

Wow... I had no idea it was that affordable. Now I know why my friend continually renews his, heh.

Pulled the trigger on it with a 25% off coupon this morning.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Noble Nobbler posted:

What is exactly is the definition of a production environment? Is my personal machine at home a production environment? What about a development machine at work?

this seems like a good definition from michigan.gov

Where an application or system resides that hosts actual / real data (as opposed to test data) or is available on a publicly accessible network or server.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Noble Nobbler posted:

Very roughly, this means you're using the computer in a way that's directly profitable to your business. If you're installing a Technet license on a computer that, if it goes down, is going to cost your company tons of money while it's down, you're doing it wrong.

To put it another way, they're evaluation versions that are on the honor system. Using a Technet license to build a test VM for some software you're developing, or seeing how a certain hardware config performs with Windows Server 2008, is fine. I couldn't then start hosting a customer's website on it, though. If I decide it's working awesomely and want to "keep" it for proper use on my company network, I MUST obtain a proper license for it and change the product key.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I hope no one minds me bringing up the European version again, I'm sure it's somewhere deep in the thread but I've not seen it yet.

Basically, is the 50% off version the way to go, just have the installer for a web browser on disk to hand. Also, any retailers better than others? This will be better than any OEM prices we're likely to get? And I'm guessing only professional comes with office, I won't get Word with Home Premium?

Edit: oh wait, IE comes on a seperate disk with it.

Edit2: Have I missed something? The MS site says I can preorder for £50, but the linked sites say £75-80. Am I too late or something?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 23, 2009

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

For some reason my computer does not detect my Windows 7 install disk. It does detect Windows XP Home 32 bit and I have successfully installed that. When I try to do a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit it just says to "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." Whenever I press any key it brings up the cursor that blinks a few times then it shows the same message. The only thing that I could find was to update the bios which I did and still nothing different.

My specs are

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz
Ram: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
Videocard: EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
HD:Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA

Any ideas?

Bleepblorp3587
Jun 1, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also, any retailers better than others?
Not for ordering Windows in particular.

quote:

This will be better than any OEM prices we're likely to get?
Probably.

quote:

And I'm guessing only professional comes with office, I won't get Word with Home Premium?
Neither version of 7 comes with any form of Office.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bacon55555 posted:

For some reason my computer does not detect my Windows 7 install disk. It does detect Windows XP Home 32 bit and I have successfully installed that. When I try to do a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit it just says to "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." Whenever I press any key it brings up the cursor that blinks a few times then it shows the same message. The only thing that I could find was to update the bios which I did and still nothing different.

My specs are

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz
Ram: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
Videocard: EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
HD:Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA

Any ideas?

Is this a burned copy of the build 7100 iso from microsoft?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Is this a burned copy of the build 7100 iso from microsoft?

I have tried both that and the modified upgrade from Beta to RC that I made. Both with same results.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bacon55555 posted:

I have tried both that and the modified upgrade from Beta to RC that I made. Both with same results.

Does it work in other machines?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Does it work in other machines?

Yep. I used the upgrade on one computer successfully and I used the fresh install on another computer successfully.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
multiple disc drives? try the other drive if so. I've had systems that only tried one, or systems that tried all the optical drives on the system before moving on. You can also put it on a thumb drive and try that way as well, after setting it as a bootable device in the bios

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: oh wait, IE comes on a seperate disk with it.

Edit2: Have I missed something? The MS site says I can preorder for £50, but the linked sites say £75-80. Am I too late or something?

Possibly; I think the UK 50 pound ones sold out in like a day; I'll double check and modify the OP. And AFAIK, the E editions don't come with IE in any form, but you can get a disc with IE on it separately for something like 3 or 4 pounds, or just download it yourself pre-emptively. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if some retailers just included the IE disc for free to spite the EU.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Ryokurin posted:

multiple disc drives? try the other drive if so. I've had systems that only tried one, or systems that tried all the optical drives on the system before moving on. You can also put it on a thumb drive and try that way as well, after setting it as a bootable device in the bios

I only have one optical drive and two HDs. I will try booting from the flash drive and see how that turns out.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bacon55555 posted:

I only have one optical drive and two HDs. I will try booting from the flash drive and see how that turns out.
Have you ever sucessfully booted this PC from an optical disc? Do you have any pressed official bootable optical media you could try such as a real copy of XP or an OEM system restore disc? What about other burned bootable media? Maybe it hates burned discs. Can you read burned media in the drive at all?

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Amazon sold out of their allocated '£50 copies' in a day or two, as did other places soon afterwards.

Some places didn't start selling it at the same time as others, and there is very limited stock, one retailer at least I can find - at the time of writing this, I see http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk has Home Premium for £49 (search for 'windows premium' - but it will probably sell out very soon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
When will MSDN Academy get Win7?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

xamphear posted:

Have you ever sucessfully booted this PC from an optical disc? Do you have any pressed official bootable optical media you could try such as a real copy of XP or an OEM system restore disc? What about other burned bootable media? Maybe it hates burned discs. Can you read burned media in the drive at all?

I feel retarded. I was using two RC upgrade disks instead of one of them being the actual install. I found the actual install disk and now I feel retarded. Looks like I am going to be organizing all of my burned media a bit better from now on. Anyways I think it is good. Right now it is starting setup. Sorry about the derail you may now resume with your regularly scheduled thread.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Phone posted:

When will MSDN Academy get Win7?
MSDN is supposed to get it on August 6th.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

xarph posted:

I would totally love to spring for a subscription, but the UK pricing is whack.
A new subscription for Plus is 402GBP = 664USD
The basic version is 234GBP = 386

:(

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

url posted:

I would totally love to spring for a subscription, but the UK pricing is whack.
A new subscription for Plus is 402GBP = 664USD
The basic version is 234GBP = 386

:(

If keys aren't region locked, get a friend on the atlantic side to buy you a copy.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

PopeOnARope posted:

If keys aren't region locked, get a friend on the atlantic side to buy you a copy.

I was thinking exactly this.

:D

But, seeing as we have some official MS goons, I was wondering if one of them might be able to offer up an SA coupon code or some such incentive.

I'm not sure MS would be interested in incentivising SA goonery, but, y'never know.

ryo
Jan 15, 2003
Quick question, is there a way to open all windows of a running program when clicking on the icon on the task bar, rather than clicking on each thumbnail separately?

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I still can't believe I need to shell out 2x Home premium money to get a version which does not artificially restrict the amount of RAM I can install. 64 GB would be okay, 16 GB is a giant "gently caress you" to the consumers.

What if W7 becomes the next big thing, and people are still using it five years from now, yet are unable to run the newest stuff properly because Microsoft doesn't want them to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lilac1 posted:

I still can't believe I need to shell out 2x Home premium money to get a version which does not artificially restrict the amount of RAM I can install. 64 GB would be okay, 16 GB is a giant "gently caress you" to the consumers.

What if W7 becomes the next big thing, and people are still using it five years from now, yet are unable to run the newest stuff properly because Microsoft doesn't want them to?

So what consumer needs more than 16 GB between now and the first Windows 7 service pack? I'm not saying "they'll never need more than 16 GB" just "they probably won't before 2 or 3 years is up". Also, they do still sell Windows 7 in 32 bit versions, so I'd imagine developers won't expect people to have more than 4 GB for a while.