Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

helopticor posted:

I'm getting the impression that everyone sucks at go, with the people who haven't started yet sucking the most of all.

Come to KGS and suck less!

It took me until about 8 kyu to really realize how much I sucked at go. You think you know how bad it is up until then but then at some point more doors are opened and you are just like "fuckkkk where do I even start"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I just started playing Go! It turns out that one of my housemates actually plays, so I've become interested in learning how the game works. No stranger to board games... I play a mean round of Backgammon, but Go is of course a completely different story. I admittedly don't understand lots of the technicalities of the game, but I can wrap my head around the basics. Looking forward to reading this thread a lot more...

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

It took me until about 8 kyu to really realize how much I sucked at go. You think you know how bad it is up until then but then at some point more doors are opened and you are just like "fuckkkk where do I even start"

I've been like that every step of the process. Just when you think maybe, just maybe, you're starting to understand the game, it hits you with its giant cock of "You don't know loving poo poo about Go gently caress you."

And that's the best part of this game! There is endless room for self improvement. You will never master this poo poo. You can just pretend not to suck now and again.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Go is definitely the most rewarding and most devastating game I've ever played. I have never had a game so effectively hit both ends of the spectrum.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
My KGS attendence has been pretty sketchy recently, but I'll be back within a few days. I can only hope that my skill hasn't suffered in my long absence :ohdear:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

So I didn't have the internet for longer than i thought. Going to try to start walking the sdk path tonight. Depends on if I have the will power after building another piece of furniture from ikea today. It's going to be a bookshelf...

I like those bowls. What kind are they?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
It looks like YMI isn't selling my set as a single item any more, but I believe this is the set of bowls I have. I have the little bag, too.

edit: those aren't my stones though

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

It looks like YMI isn't selling my set as a single item any more, but I believe this is the set of bowls I have. I have the little bag, too.

edit: those aren't my stones though

Darn I was hoping to get the bowls by themselves. Oh well.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I'm sure you can find something comparable online, I was just looking on YMI since that's where I got them. I didn't even really search to see if they have the bowls by themselves.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I am reading breakthrough to shodan and its way better than I thought it would be.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
gently caress, I feel like I essentially lost a game I could have won because the other guy was too insistant on ending the game, and I didn't try invading.

That would have been my first legit win.

I can't wait to really talk this game over with one of you guys

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

I am reading breakthrough to shodan and its way better than I thought it would be.
How good? Like, Fundamentals good?

Cybermg posted:

gently caress, I feel like I essentially lost a game I could have won because the other guy was too insistant on ending the game, and I didn't try invading.

That would have been my first legit win.

I can't wait to really talk this game over with one of you guys
Feel free to ask.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
Anyone want to help out a total beginner get his bearings on KGS?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

moonduck posted:

Anyone want to help out a total beginner get his bearings on KGS?

What's your kgs username? Have you joined the SA room yet?

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Blendy posted:

What's your kgs username? Have you joined the SA room yet?

My username is Rubixtube. I was on the room earlier tonight, and I'm going to try to be on as much as possible.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

moonduck posted:

My username is Rubixtube. I was on the room earlier tonight, and I'm going to try to be on as much as possible.

Well give a shout and someone will help you show the ropes. welcome to KGS

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I know next to nothing about IGS (except that its interface looks like a shell). Why does everyone here prefer KGS?

Also, I may have just started playing Go, but I can already appreciate this page that all of you probably have already seen.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

helopticor posted:

I know next to nothing about IGS (except that its interface looks like a shell). Why does everyone here prefer KGS?

Also, I may have just started playing Go, but I can already appreciate this page that all of you probably have already seen.

go humor is cool just don't ever let anyone see you looking at it

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
So, when I join the SA social room, I get some crap about Sugoi Animes. That can't be right, can it?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

moonduck posted:

So, when I join the SA social room, I get some crap about Sugoi Animes. That can't be right, can it?

No that's the right one, we all love anime and plan to emigrate to Japan so we can marry anime characters

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

No that's the right one, we all love anime and plan to emigrate to Japan so we can marry anime characters

Dibs on Asumi Nase

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

helopticor posted:

IGS is old and dysfunctional and it costs money apparently

also the moderators are even worse than on KGS, if you can wrap your head around that

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
The US Go Congress is Aug 1 - 9 in Fairfax Virginia (DC). The full registration costs almost as much as an anime body pillow, but if there are any ITGO GOONS who want to get in FOR FREE for a day or two to check it out, I can make it happen. You will be able to participate in all the events, including the US Open. They say if you are only coming for a single day, then EARLY Wednesday is your best bet. I'll probably be there the 4th-7th (Tuesday-Friday), but if you show up on other days you can spectate for free or play for $45 (depending how long you're staying). ANYONE can come and even play in the tournaments, even if you just learned about go this morning and play worse than Helsbecter used to.

If anyone actually comes I might even get us a group lesson from a real life professional!!

If you are interested PM me here or email me: nexterh at gmail. There is no need to commit to anything.

Note: You must be an AGA member to participate in rated events! It's $30 for a year, or $10 if you're under 23. link

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What's ITGO?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

xau posted:

Note: You must be an AGA member to participate in rated events! It's $30 for a year, or $10 if you're under 23. link

Note: That page doesn't work properly in Chrome, but Firefox works fine.

Doomclown posted:

What's ITGO?
It's where all of the cool people hang out on KGS.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Doomclown posted:

What's ITGO?

Internet 'tards GO orgy. It's a sick sad world.

xau- that's a drat fine offer. wish i could make it but i'll be traveling during that time.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I wish I could get there but I got no dollaz

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Hmm, I live ~3 hours away and have time off of work during that week! And yet, I'm buying a house and I took off of work so that I could move furniture. Oh god

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I was planning on going to the congress for the weekend days because I have a friend who lives in DC. Alas, I have a wedding I must attend and will not be able to make the go congress.

Blendy, that's the best acronym I've seen for ITGO, unfortunately you guys have broken the vow of silence and now must be "removed."

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Lyon posted:

Blendy, that's the best acronym I've seen for ITGO, unfortunately you guys have broken the vow of silence and now must be "removed."

b-b-b-banished!?

Man I'm rereading fundamentals and I keep picking the wrong nets in this questions...wtf.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
What sort of Go clock does everyone here use?

I'm using DSGoClock for now, but at some point will probably have to get a real one.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

helopticor posted:

What sort of Go clock does everyone here use?

I'm using DSGoClock for now, but at some point will probably have to get a real one.

I've never played enough of a serious business real game to need one. Well, that's my story.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

My go clock is connected to a revolver with a single bullet loaded at the end, every time I use a byoyomi it pulls the trigger

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Under 15 posted:

My go clock is connected to a revolver with a single bullet loaded at the end, every time I use a byoyomi it pulls the trigger

Who/what's it aimed at?

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Happy US Go Congress Day! Wish I could be there.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

xau posted:

If you are interested PM me here or email me: nexterh at gmail. There is no need to commit to anything.

xau, I PMed you a while ago; is that thing actually happening? If so, could you PM me info like when and where I should be, who else is coming, and anything else I should know?

dirby fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 1, 2009

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!
I wish my thread in Games were as cool as this thread. :ohdear:

I'm going to start playing on KGS with you cats. My go club had rated me around 12k when I was playing regularly, but I think that is 1) bullshit and 2) out of whack anyway because I haven't played for some time, although I've done some reading.

Also tell me if I am a human being for wanting a floor board. It's not that I think I need or deserve one, I just think they are loving beautiful and will look good in my living room. That's not a bad price for that size and material and I'd be getting one someday anyway. I'm getting a cheap slotted board for play that isn't at home. Thinking of getting Ing stones to play on it.

Clockwork Beast! fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 3, 2009

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Also tell me if I am a human being for wanting a floor board. It's not that I think I need or deserve one, I just think they are loving beautiful and will look good in my living room.

Really the problem with a floor-goban-as-decor is that floor boards tend to be a lot smaller than you would think they would be, but too large to go anywhere that it would be out of danger as being used as a table with poo poo all over it :shobon:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Clockwork Beast! posted:

I wish my thread in Games were as cool as this thread. :ohdear:

I'm going to start playing on KGS with you cats. My go club had rated me around 12k when I was playing regularly, but I think that is 1) bullshit and 2) out of whack anyway because I haven't played for some time, although I've done some reading.

Also tell me if I am a human being for wanting a floor board. It's not that I think I need or deserve one, I just think they are loving beautiful and will look good in my living room. That's not a bad price for that size and material and I'd be getting one someday anyway. I'm getting a cheap slotted board for play that isn't at home. Thinking of getting Ing stones to play on it.

What thread in games? I smell merger.

Welcome to the KGS fun factory that is SA/ITGO. Are you going by clockwork beast! on there as well?

Nothing faggoty about wanting a floor board. We all 'ooo' and 'aww' pretty often. I bought just a table board from YMI and I'm really happy with it. Floor boards, like Under 15 said, are smaller. So unless you have a great place to display the floor board it's kinda just in your way. I hide my table board on the lower part of my coffee table and it looks pretty good there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!
Whoops, I'm retarded and meant table board, it's the one in the link up there. The thread is in archives now I think?

e: no no, I meant floor board. Ugh.

e2: Ioshua on KGS.

Clockwork Beast! fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 3, 2009