Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has Brothers in Arms Hells Highway been asked about yet? Bought it off the steam deal, I was originally put off with the first only getting used to the whole moving around your teammates shtick but I'm trying to give it another chance, heres to hoping its going to be more enjoyable than a mindless fps *cough CoJ2*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
So I'm getting Too Human from Gamefly, I borrowed it from a friend before but I had a hard time with it. I kept dying and the death sequence pissed me off so much, I gave up on it.

I feel like part of my problem may have been the class I chose to play, so any advice in that regards or just how to survive would be nice.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Twitch posted:

Any hints to not completely sucking at Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles? I thought I'd do okay at it since I play a lot of Wii light gun games, but it's kicking my rear end (I was barely able to beat the RE0 section on Easy).

Me too. This game is drat tough. The only hint I can offer is if your character glances at a door or something and it seems odd to you, shoot it. Sometimes you'll find hidden guns and such, not just the info files.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So I got Fallout 3. I have mainly just been wandering around doing the Survival Guide missions stuff. I am level 8 now. Is there a best time to start actually trying to advance the plot? Also, will I need to start pulling up a second combat skill, right now I have solely been using Small Guns. Will my shotgun eventually fail me?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

projecthalaxy posted:

So I got Fallout 3. I have mainly just been wandering around doing the Survival Guide missions stuff. I am level 8 now. Is there a best time to start actually trying to advance the plot? Also, will I need to start pulling up a second combat skill, right now I have solely been using Small Guns. Will my shotgun eventually fail me?

This is one of the few games like this that I would say to seriously play however you want. The game is so well done, and there are a bunch of viable options that anything you do should be okay.

The only thing I have heard people say to do every game, however, is to take "Comprehension", since that lets you gain two skill points from books you find. Other than that, do whatever you want.

Oh, and don't max out stats. Take them to 9, cause you can find a Bobblehead that will give you the final point in each stat.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

projecthalaxy posted:

You shouldn't try to advance the plot until you are really ready to end the game, at least past the radio station. That's as far as you should go, period. Unless you bought the expansion (thus replacing the horrid ending), then you can go ahead and finish the plot whenever you feel ready since it won't just abruptly come to a retarded end on you.

And no, you really don't need secondary gun skills. You can almost always find some small arm to run with if you need to. In fact I'd only recommend a secondary skill if you are primarily a melee character.

Also make sure you do some exploring! There's lot of sub-plots, and I mean LOTS (I missed the majority the first time around), so take your time and enjoy all the little stories in the game, too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Fallout Followup: Can I actually read the Wasteland Survival Guide? I know I can read the review in the notes section, but I click on the actualy book, and nothing happens.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury

projecthalaxy posted:

Fallout Followup: Can I actually read the Wasteland Survival Guide? I know I can read the review in the notes section, but I click on the actualy book, and nothing happens.

I don't believe you can, but you do run into some Wastelanders who will make various comments depending on how thorough you were with your research.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Nope. You can meet people who've read it, which is a neat little random encounter when it happens.

Oh, I'd try and get the alien ray gun, if you're sticking to Small Arms. Limited ammo, but crazy powerful. And head up to Canterbury Common and invest in the caravans. It ups their repair skill, with one of them clearing 80, which is very useful for the rarer weapons.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

J2DK posted:

- Assign "shoot" to a trigger you can easily charge shots with both characters and fight at the same time.
- Dante's Gilgamesh has an attack called Real Impact. If you activate Devil Trigger after Dante jumps into the air, Dante will inflict an extra hit and do almost twice as much damage.

These two are by far and away the most important things I can tell you, aside from "Get Charge Shot 3 as soon as humanly possible as it is completely awesome." Also, the Devil Trigger extra damage infliction (vital to be decent with Dante) works with a number of his attacks, including both Gilgamesh and Stinger. The damage output is MUCH more than 2x; I finished off the 2nd to final boss in just two True Impact + Devil Trigger. I probably slipped since then but I was, at the time, #23 on the rankings for that level because of it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Blazing Ownager posted:

You shouldn't try to advance the plot until you are really ready to end the game, at least past the radio station. That's as far as you should go, period. Unless you bought the expansion (thus replacing the horrid ending), then you can go ahead and finish the plot whenever you feel ready since it won't just abruptly come to a retarded end on you.

And no, you really don't need secondary gun skills. You can almost always find some small arm to run with if you need to. In fact I'd only recommend a secondary skill if you are primarily a melee character.

Also make sure you do some exploring! There's lot of sub-plots, and I mean LOTS (I missed the majority the first time around), so take your time and enjoy all the little stories in the game, too.

Well, I wouldnt go that far; Advance the plot at least until you find your father. You can go a bit further than that if you like, just be aware that when you are asked to find a G.E.C.K you are past the two thirds mark of the storyline quest, and might want to leave it there until you are ready to end the game (the next few quests are in fairly quick succession).

I'd agree on the other two points; With small guns you dont need a secondary combat skill really. I always take one whatever my main combat skill eventually to give me a bit of variety, but you dont need to. And explore like a motherfucker. But! Unless you have already been directed to them by the main quest, DO NOT; Talk to Dr Li in rivet city or enter Casey Smiths Garage. Talking Dr Li or going in to Casey Smiths can sequence break the main quest, skipping a chunk in the middle.

Also, bear in mind that unless you got broken steel, the level cap is 20. If you are planning on getting broken steel by the way, I would hold off buying it until you are at level 20, or at the start of the mission titled "take it back". Basically there are a few small glitches with it (mainly the radio constantly announcing that its 2 weeks since <original ending of the game> even if you havent even found your father yet).

By level 8 you've probably figured out pretty much everything else you need to know. The only thing I'd add just in case is one thing the game never mentions; While hacking, if in the same line there is an open bracket (of any kind) and matching closed bracket, you can select the open bracket, and it will input all the junk in the bracket. It doesnt take up one of your guesses, and it either replenishes your guesses or removes a wrong answer. So for example <"£$&^$")>&^* would work, selecting <"£$&^$")>.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm fairly sure the brackets thing is explained. Just, y'know, read the manual. (I seriously can't understand people who don't at least skim the things.)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Thanks for all the Advance Wars tips. I'm working my way through the series. The first one was fun, but Black Hole Rising improves on it in every single way. I love working with all the different COs. My favorites to play with so far are Grit (I like his personality and theme music), Colin (Just flooding the field with cheap units), and Kanbei (he's a beast, and the extra cost to the units doesn't affect the game at all). The worst CO to go against so far is Lash, but I'm sure that'll change if I fight Sturm again at some point.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Twitch posted:

Any hints to not completely sucking at Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles? I thought I'd do okay at it since I play a lot of Wii light gun games, but it's kicking my rear end (I was barely able to beat the RE0 section on Easy).

The pistol is not to be underrated. It's the only weapon that lets you crit regular zombies and crimson heads. Aim at the very top of the head and shoot when the cursor turns red.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gaz-L posted:

I'm fairly sure the brackets thing is explained. Just, y'know, read the manual. (I seriously can't understand people who don't at least skim the things.)

Well, if anyone actually read manuals, this thread would be about half as long...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Problem is most manuals are 12 pages of credits/controller buttons/pictures.

Captain Keekles
Jan 28, 2007

Stomper Go Dumb
Can someone please help me get started with Noby Noby Boy and/or Trash Panic?

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

There's literally nothing to say about Noby Boy. That is a game that is really really self explanatory.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Is there anything I should know about King's Bounty: The legend?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Stumiester posted:

Is there anything I should know about King's Bounty: The legend?

-The difficulty goes Mage < Fighter < Paladin, from easiest to hardest. However, Mages have the hardest time in the beginning, since you don't have many good spells and you don't have a lot of troops. Usually by the time you get to the Freedom Isles, the mage starts growing exponentially. Beeline for Higher Magic if you play mage.
-Beeline for Reserves. It is the most important skill no matter what class you are. I usually fill said reserves with melee troops or other troops that have a high tendency to die/are really inconvenient to reinforce.
-Beeline the story missions until you get your first Spirits of Rage (you can get 2 pretty easily).
-Doing missions for people usually puts new stuff in their shop, or at least adds reinforcements to their populations. Doing story missions makes troops available in your main castle, sometimes at unlimited population.
-Don't have kids. They are usually worse than loot, but you can't discard them without divorcing your wife.
-There are some random patches of ridiculously increased difficulty, like the Magic Range. Quicksave before any endeavor!
-Experiment with troops. There's a lot of them in the game and they're all pretty unique.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

projecthalaxy posted:

Honestly, I didn't do the main quest until after I was level 20. All I will say is

Avoid Bob Casey's garage, and avoid talking to Dr. Li in Rivet City. Doing these will skip sections of the main quest.

Also, do the GNR quest ASAP if you want to listen to GNR across the wasteland. Small Guns will definitely get you through the game quite easily. That and energy weapons I think are the most useful skills in terms of fighting.

You may also want to advance the quest up to the point after you clear out the Jefferson Memorial because you get new enemies to fight in the Wasteland.

Aeldaar
Apr 14, 2008

Check.
I saw the BG2 tips, but is there anything for someone looking to start from BG1 and play through the whole series? Interesting cheats from the console would also be welcome.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Has Brothers in Arms Hells Highway been asked about yet? Bought it off the steam deal, I was originally put off with the first only getting used to the whole moving around your teammates shtick but I'm trying to give it another chance, heres to hoping its going to be more enjoyable than a mindless fps *cough CoJ2*.

It's a slow game that flows from one fire fight to the next, with none of them being really distinguishing. You're in a field, you're in a house, you're hiding behind a bale of hay, repeat. Get used to your dimwitted companions making the same dumbass remarks over and over again about how dumb you are for poking your head out of cover for but a moment and also how much they hate them Germans.

Beautiful game and excellent cutscenes, though. Too bad the facial animations are lovely.

Virtual Surreality
Aug 24, 2005

by Peatpot

Aeldaar posted:

I saw the BG2 tips, but is there anything for someone looking to start from BG1 and play through the whole series? Interesting cheats from the console would also be welcome.
Baldur's Gate Tutu. Learn it. Live it.
http://www.usoutpost31.com/easytutu/

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Any critical mods or patches for Crysis? I just got a computer capable of making it look amazing and want to try it out.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Ah, how about Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie? I'm going to buy Nuts and Bolts soon after hearing how it was a good overlooked game, but I want to play these two first.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
I have no idea what the hell i'm doing in Knights in the Nightmare, it's just flashing lights and weak weapons and some kind of dodging thing and I read all of the help/tutorial files twice so now i'm pissed.

Also Shin Megami Tensei:Devil Survivor is really hard, i dunno if I just gimped myself or something but that goddamn wendigo is nowhere near what they give me to grind with.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

for sale posted:

Also Shin Megami Tensei:Devil Survivor is really hard, i dunno if I just gimped myself or something but that goddamn wendigo is nowhere near what they give me to grind with.

I had a hard time with him at first too but my solution was to kill all the other monsters first and then focus on him. If he gets too close bind him and run away until his group is alone.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

SNOT CORN posted:

I had a hard time with him at first too but my solution was to kill all the other monsters first and then focus on him. If he gets too close bind him and run away until his group is alone.

Run away from him at first, and take out the other dudes, then focus everybody on him. That's the hardest battle for a while.

The game really isn't that hard once you get going. Just make sure to continue fusing your demons so that they keep up their base levels with enemies.

Fray Joker
Nov 3, 2007

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.

Twitch posted:

And anything I need to know about the Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker? I just beat the first real dungeon, and I think I have the game down okay, but from glancing at an FAQ there's no way I'm going to bother with a lot of the sidequests, but if there's anything I definitely should do, it'd be good to know.

Find Shark Island. Enjoy yourself. There's no plot reason to go there, but it's still probably one of my most favourite Zelda moments and a truly stellar showcase of an incredibly fluid combat system.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm going to be playing through Planescape: Torment soon. A friend of mine mentioned that I should start with my intellect (or wisdom) up really high to get the best experience. I don't know anything about the story, so please avoid spoilers in your responses.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Torment isn't combat-centric. The combat is the least fluid part of the game. In any case you're immortal so it doesn't matter if you die. Get back up and keep fighting.

Intelligence and Wisdom and (to a lesser extent) Charisma are your most important stats. There are lots and lots of stat checks in Torment and you'll lose out on conversation options and experience and even items if your mental stats aren't high enough. Wisdom also provides an XP bonus so it's worth improving early. Try to get at least 18 in Int/Wis quickly.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

Captain Beans posted:

Any critical mods or patches for Crysis? I just got a computer capable of making it look amazing and want to try it out.

I can't think of any good mods or patches, but definitely get up on the Tweak Guide to make it look and perform better. Simultaneously, even.

Actually, come to think of it, I think he mentions the 'Natural Mod' in that guide. That's a good one.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Another Fallout 3 question.

Is there any good, dependable way to get more bobby pins? I'm down to 6 and none of the merchants in Rivet, Megaton or Tenpenny sell them.

To Contribute:

Tales of Phantasia: Make sure you get the first combo skilll unlocked before you start the big southern cave.

Fallout Tactics: If you take explosives as a tag, you start with well over 1500 dollars in mines in your inventory.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Is there any good, dependable way to get more bobby pins? I'm down to 6 and none of the merchants in Rivet, Megaton or Tenpenny sell them.

Some feral ghouls will have bobby pins but the best way to use them is to to try to keep what you have from breaking. Basically when picking a lock just try two positions and if those fail go ahead and exit out and then reenter. Bobby pins will only break after the third attempt so while this might be a little time consuming it will make it easier for you to preserve how many you have until you build up a better stockpile.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I just got Civ 4 : Colonization, mainly because it was on the cheap. Any tips for a new founding father?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Easty posted:

This thread is great.

Any other tips for COD4 online? I keep getting slaughtered :(

Once you get the grip on the RPD, you can snipe with it. Slap stopping power and deep impact on it and you can snipe through bodies/buildings/whatever you want, it's a god drat beast.

Salt Block Party posted:

Assassin's Creed

By equipping the throwing knives you can use a dagger in melee combat. The dagger is good because your counterattack is generally a one hit kill. I didn't realize this until I beat the game, and just used the sword for all close range combat. It makes fighting multiple enemies so much easier.

Plus it looks badass when you counter someone's attack with your spike and you jam it right into his skull, or spike his neck and he's gurgling and his buddies are OH GOD WE ARE SO hosed :gonk:

projecthalaxy posted:

Check dressers and cabinets, anywhere you'd expect to find clothes.

Jagged Alliance 2:

The night is your friend, even if you're not a night ops merc or have NVGs. Avoid lit areas, have one of your guys pop a round off where you want hostiles to gather. Some maps provide you with rocks, and they're very useful for luring hostiles in. The AI does not distinguish between lit and unlit areas, and will stroll right under a light. Even without NVGs you get a fairly nice chance to hit boost when they're lit up. Once you get some night vision and suppressed weapons you can clear an entire town without a single alert.

Saint's Row 2:

Do the Hitman side-mission. Infnite rifle ammo applies to the huge .50 caliber sniper rifle you get later on, as well as all the assault rifles. Infinite .50 ammo will turn you into a force of nature :black101: Also, Escort loving sucks, but having free vehicles delivered from your garage to wherever you are is well worth the effort.

Do the Sons of Samedi missions first. IF you save them for last, the game gets very, very difficult.

Dead Rising:

You're going to die. A lot. Hit continue to keep your XP, level, and unlocked abilities and keep on going. The hardware shop in the north side of the mall has wonderful weapons, especially if you grab the criminal biography book from the bookshop in Wonderland Plaza (the one with the roller coaster), fire axes and the boss's machete loving rock. Also, SAVE THE GUY AFTER THE CLOWN FIGHT, he shows you a very handy shortcut.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 24, 2009

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Bobby pins will only break after the third attempt

This. This is helpful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

This. This is helpful.

Well they'll also break if you just hold it in a position that's wrong for too long so the second it gives resistance make sure to let go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Jolo posted:

I'm going to be playing through Planescape: Torment soon. A friend of mine mentioned that I should start with my intellect (or wisdom) up really high to get the best experience. I don't know anything about the story, so please avoid spoilers in your responses.

To get the most out of the story, you will want to play as a mage with high INT, WIS and CHA. After that, you can boost DEX and CON. You will also want to take in your party: Morte, Dak'kon, Ignus, Fall-From-Grace, Nordrom and Vhailor. Not that you can't ditch them once they've served their use, they're just the ones with the most story connections to you.

Remember that classes aren't static--you can switch between Fighter, Thief and Mage as many times as you want, even in the middle of battle. Just speak to Annah or Dak'kon.

To get the most out of the plot, talk to everyone and listen to what they say. Most people will have some backstory for you, or a quest to perform.

Early Game (like, before you get to the Lower Ward):
- Keep a hammer and prybar on yoy for most of the game.
- Keep a piece of junk on you--you'll need it to open an important portal
- Make sure you retrieve both your abilities (Raise Dead and Stories-Bones-Tell), by speaking to Deionarra in the Mortuary and Stale Mary in the Dead Nation, respectively.
- Morte's teeth can be upgraded. Ingress, who will be northwest of where you emerge from the Mortuary, has the first set you can get.
- Keep the Bronze Sphere when you find it, and NEVER GET RID OF IT. It won't come into play until right before the game ends, but it's quite handy.
- When you're in the sewers/catacombs, explore all the small rooms and crypts thoroughly. In one of them, you'll find a severed arm. It's hard to explain why this is so important without spoilers, but it really is. Be sure to take the arm to Fell (the tattooist), and when you do be sure to get Dak'kon to translate (even if you're capable of translating yourself).
- You may be approached by a man called Mar who wants you to deliver a box for him. Do it without opening the box.
- Keep Soego's head. You'll be able to trade it for something valuable.
- The bartender at the Smoldering Corpse has something of yours.

Middle Game (Lower Ward, Clerk's Ward, Outer Planes):
- Nemelle has the keyword to use the Decanter of Endless Water
- To open the modron cube: left wing, right wing, right arm. You may have to also activate it through dialogue by speaking to the modrons in the Brothel.
- The only thing you NEED from the Curio Gallery is the Stygian Ice.
- You NEED the following from Vrischika: tongue, cube, quasit, tears, elixir, and stein.
- Lazlo knows how to get inside the Siege Tower.
- You can either speak to Giltspur in the Lower Ward or retrieve your journal in the Clerk's Ward to get into the Foundry.
- If you get stuck, try speaking to Quell in the Sensate Festhall.
- Make sure to use Ravel's hair to make charms before you leave her maze.

Late Game (Curst in Carceri, Pillar of Skulls, Return to Sigil):
- The Pillar of Skulls will require a price, so only ask about your condition and how to leave. If you must give up one of your friends, give them Morte as he's the only one you can get back.
- When you return to Curst (but before you enter the portal to Carceri!) look around town. If you did Mar's quest without opening the box, you'll find a massive demon to kill worth 500XP and who drops some good loot.
- Good deeds in Carceri include: saving Jasilya, saving Kester, saving the town official, saving the condemned man, stopping the looters, stopping the slavers, killing the gehreleths, freeing the men under the cart, and convincing Ebb to help the town.
- If you have told enough people during the game that your name was Adahn, you may be able to run into him at the Smoldering Corpse.
- Be sure to check back in with the Siege Tower.

Draile posted:

Torment isn't combat-centric.

This. You'll hit a point in the game where you can run away from most fights, should you so choose. You'll also hit a point where you have to run away from most fights, so you may as well have trained up your wits because strength is useless.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 24, 2009