Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
No but he's drat near 7ft, if not above that. He looks like the jolly green giant just less green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So pissed right now you can't even imagine

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I think Tomas thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat. He went by on his bike as we were leaving the Warped Tour, and I yelled his name, but I pronounced it like Thomas, and then realized I wasn't sure, so I yelled an apology too. Is it Thomas or Toe-mas?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

drunk asian neighbor posted:

So I think Tomas thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat. He went by on his bike as we were leaving the Warped Tour, and I yelled his name, but I pronounced it like Thomas, and then realized I wasn't sure, so I yelled an apology too. Is it Thomas or Toe-mas?
I assume toe-MAS. He probably doesn't think you're an rear end in a top hat just because you got his name wrong though. :shobon:

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Put my Ska is Dead CD in my car a few months ago, started giving it more listens - it prompted me to get into Deals Gone Bad, and my god they're awesome.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey time for another plug, because Greg from FTA/Community Records is spreading the word again

Community Records is doing Download Day III a week from tomorrow. I posted the list last page, or this page, or you can go check the dang site, it's not hard

What you may not (or maybe you have hell if I know) have heard is, Open Hand Records (http://www.openhandrecords.com ) is also doing a Download Day on Thursday! Open Hand is home to Matt Wixson, Paranoia Dance Party, This Is A Stick Up (Local boys woot), and more. Their new releases (via Wixson):

INFORMANT - Nothing Ever Changes*
MATT WIXSON - Best Intentions, The Saddest EP*, & Season Finale*
THE BEST OF THE WORST - Quarter Life Crisis
BABYLON PARTY MACHINE - God Hates Babylon Party Machine
THE CUTOFF FREQUENCY - The Frequency Of Love
maybe more?

Their site is just a myspace, hell if I remember how to download stuff from it. Think you click on the album cover under "free music"

reir
Nov 19, 2004
Well I've been on the forums for a long while and haven't come into this subforum yet. Crazy I know, lots of good stuff in here. So I guess I'll share my favorite band of all time with you guys which just happens to be a ska band. Spitvalves ( http://www.myspace.com/spitvalves ) are now defunct but man, they were and still are awesome. I guess if you had to classify them they would be considered ska core. I dearly miss the shows they would put on at the Hard Rock in Orlando, no other band could get that place going like they could (The Rancid show the other day is a close second though). So give them a listen, One Time is my fav of the 4 on their myspace. If anyone wants to hear more let me know, I have almost all their songs.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

The trumpet player for the Spitvalves now plays in the Supervillians, who are a lot different but still totally awesome (most of the time).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

The trumpet player for the Spitvalves now plays in the Supervillians, who are a lot different but still totally awesome (most of the time).

You know, I saw them open for RBF and the English Beat and I was really blown away. They kick a lot of rear end, especially live.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Robots in Hell is a loving awesome song.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
I forgot to mention it but I saw the Supervillians like a month back. They like to visit my town a bunch (Corpus Christi - 17 times is what they said) so they stopped in at the local record store and gave a free acoustic show to promote their other show later that night. They do kick a bunch of rear end live.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

dnz posted:

Put my Ska is Dead CD in my car a few months ago, started giving it more listens - it prompted me to get into Deals Gone Bad, and my god they're awesome.

good for you...absolutely amazing live, and they are all very, very cool guys.

reir
Nov 19, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

Yep, Ricky is pretty awesome. Was a fan fav for the Spitvalves too. They used to play together a lot back in 99-2001, I think I only saw one show where they didn't play together. They actually weren't a whole lot different back then, didn't play as much reggae stoner stuff.

Daddy Two-Coats
Jul 11, 2006

I AM HULKING UP

Dundee McFluffers posted:

I forgot to mention it but I saw the Supervillians like a month back. They like to visit my town a bunch (Corpus Christi - 17 times is what they said) so they stopped in at the local record store and gave a free acoustic show to promote their other show later that night. They do kick a bunch of rear end live.

Just saw them opening for RBF tonight. I'd love them if all their songs weren't about weed or pussy. They sounded like idiots every time they talked to the crowd.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
So how're the sets at Warped this year? My stop features Big D, LTJ, Left Alone, NOFX, Streetlight, and Westbound Train. Are their sets good enough to make it worth it?

gently caress it. I'd probably go to see just Streetlight alone anyways.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

JERFit posted:

So how're the sets at Warped this year? My stop features Big D, LTJ, Left Alone, NOFX, Streetlight, and Westbound Train. Are their sets good enough to make it worth it?

NoFx was too shitfaced to play at my stop, and I hate Big D, but LTJ/Streetlight/Westbound Train were all great sets.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

drunk asian neighbor posted:

You know, I saw them open for RBF and the English Beat and I was really blown away. They kick a lot of rear end, especially live.

If that was a month ago I was totally there.

Are you going to BTMI/Andrew Jackson Jihad on the 2nd?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

If that was a month ago I was totally there.

If I can switch shifts with somebody, then absolutely.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know who the other two bands playing with them and if they're any good?

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Sandwolf posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know who the other two bands playing with them and if they're any good?
Looks like Laura Stevenson and the Cans, who were great tonight, and The Swaggerin' Growlers, who I've never heard of.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Popoi posted:

Looks like Laura Stevenson and the Cans, who were great tonight, and The Swaggerin' Growlers, who I've never heard of.

You were at the Covington show? The trumpet player was absolutely shitfaced after they played due to the drinking game in effect and my friend had to help her to the bathroom.

Is it normal for BTMI! to play "So Let's Go Nowhere" by ASOB because I loving flipped out when they did.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Miscellaneous_T posted:

Is it normal for BTMI! to play "So Let's Go Nowhere" by ASOB because I loving flipped out when they did.

God drat it that's awesome

e: Anybody know off hand the next time they're going to be on Long Island/near NYC because this time I am definitely going to see them I don't care what I have to do.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 27, 2009

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Miscellaneous_T posted:

You were at the Covington show? The trumpet player was absolutely shitfaced after they played due to the drinking game in effect and my friend had to help her to the bathroom.
She looked like a little out of it over by the merch table before she even got on stage, and there was no shortage of drinking up there.

Miscellaneous_T posted:

I would guess it's unusual, but my sample size is exactly 2.

Although I think both of those samples included 311 covers.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Obama Yo Mama posted:

God drat it that's awesome

e: Anybody know off hand the next time they're going to be on Long Island/near NYC because this time I am definitely going to see them I don't care what I have to do.

Asbury Lanes in NJ this Thursday @ 8pm. I'm going to see if I can make it out.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

JERFit posted:

Big D and Streetlight were badass. Left Alone and Westbound Train weren't at San Antonio and NOFX (And Flogging Molly!) just decided they wouldn't show up for some reason.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
NOFX was probably too hungover

Jerc Jast
May 6, 2004

Yo Noid
NOFX didn't want to do the Texas dates because its over a hundred degrees here in July. Being outside on a massive concrete field sucks.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
gently caress that probably means they're gonna ditch Fresno as well. Ah well, I don't care to them lately so much anyways.

Jerc Jast
May 6, 2004

Yo Noid
They announced well before Warped Tour started that they wouldn't be at some of South Western dates. Thus, I did not go.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Aug 15th can't come soon enough. It's my birthday, and I get to see the Bosstones and Catch-22 in NH. :slick:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

lessthankyle posted:

Asbury Lanes in NJ this Thursday @ 8pm. I'm going to see if I can make it out.

That's a little far for me without a car :(

I'm going to see if I can get someone to make the trip with me but I doubt it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ahhh toasters are coming back through this fall and I'm ten hours away

Fuuuuuuuuck

E: And Pietasters two weeks later nyargh

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

E: And Pietasters two weeks later nyargh

If it makes you feel any better the Pietasters suck nowadays. Nothing like they were 5+ years ago, which apparently is nothing like they were 8+ years ago so they must have been AMAZINGLY KICKASS before I saw them being pretty kickass.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Actually that does

Even though I'm still missing Toasters and Murphy's Kids

I don't think Danny's even booked anybody else to play the Murphy's Kids show yet

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Just got back from Warped Tour Atlanta. Big D, Less Than Jake, and Streetlight were all awesome.

Then I found out about Mass Ska Raid on the 8th. So totally being there. Let these emoticons show my feelings.

:hellyeah: :gizz: :woop: :quagmire:

Daddy Two-Coats
Jul 11, 2006

I AM HULKING UP

trans fat posted:

Just got back from Warped Tour Atlanta. Big D, Less Than Jake, and Streetlight were all awesome.

Then I found out about Mass Ska Raid on the 8th. So totally being there. Let these emoticons show my feelings.

:hellyeah: :gizz: :woop: :quagmire:

Mass Ska Raid's gonna be great... I can't wait to see the Taj Motel Trio again.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Jealous as gently caress

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Ska Freekend looks to be pretty sweet as well for anybody that's in the southeast. Tons of good bands on it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
From the Bosstones' twitter feed:

Done tracking the new record! The rest is up to Ted Hutt and his trusty engineer Ryan. Tons of fun to make. Psyched for you all to hear it!

This was an hour ago

WOOOOOOOO

PS Don't forget about Community Records and Open Hand Records doing download days tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Seriously people, go download Stuck Lucky's new album Possum Soul tomorrow from Community Records. Then just put D-D-Devastation on repeat and go wreck some poo poo. That album rules so much rear end it's not even funny.