Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

h_double posted:

I applaud your experiments with using orchestral instruments in dance music, but you really ought to at least step up to a cello if you want some low end out of it.

I was wondering how to phrase that, then had lunch and when I came back, walla! Your post was already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Yeah, but a cello would hurt the ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1brnrgpttQ

That's the kind of sub-bass I was looking to have.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

IanTheM posted:

I like subtle basses not the mid-range wobbles.

Me too gonna explore that thanks

Selects
Oct 23, 2008

Wait. . .what?
i'm wondering if anyone owns or has used these Tapco S-8's before? i'm looking to buy some new monitors that have a good quality/price ratio--if you guys have any other rec's they'd be appreciated!

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

So i'm looking at getting a PA so I can play live (mostly small venues and house parties) and I really don't know what I'm doing.

I listened to a few at guitar center and they've got this:
QSC K10 powered speaker

and I like the way it sounds, but I really don't know how active holds up vs getting some passive speakers and a separate amp. I don't have the money to get a sub right now also, so whatever I get will need to have a bit of punch to the bass until I can get a sub.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

edit: my budget is around $900 for now and used stuff is 100% fine with me

Sharktopus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 25, 2009

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Sharktopus posted:

So i'm looking at getting a PA so I can play live (mostly small venues and house parties) and I really don't know what I'm doing.

I listened to a few at guitar center and they've got this:
QSC K10 powered speaker

and I like the way it sounds, but I really don't know how active holds up vs getting some passive speakers and a separate amp. I don't have the money to get a sub right now also, so whatever I get will need to have a bit of punch to the bass until I can get a sub.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

edit: my budget is around $900 for now and used stuff is 100% fine with me

i have a 100w cheap rear end($80 off craigslist) pa with a kc550(180w keyboard amp) as my sub and its awsome, i even rent it out to people over "nicer" yamaha and peavy systems. the key to a good system especially for dance music is the sub. absolutely must have a sub. i hear the b52 pa is nice and it has two mains and a sub for around your budget. honestly i would go the cheapass route and try to have no more than maybe $500 in the system. house parties tear your poo poo up and if the venue is a decent size at all it will have its own pa. so, imo a small cheap pa would be a better choise.

Wicked Sushi
Mar 12, 2005

Devil-child wake up and eat Chef Boyardee Beefaroni
Question! Whenever I start on a track, I begin with sequencing the drums. Problem is, once I'm done with that, I come to halt. I can add any kind of synth preset to the loop and to my ears it feels off, as in the sound choice is out of place and clashes with the drums. The exception is if I choose orchestral sounds, then to me it sounds great.

Have any of you guys ever experienced this? I wonder if it's psychological, like how some people underestimate the quality of their work, or what.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Wicked Sushi posted:

Question! Whenever I start on a track, I begin with sequencing the drums. Problem is, once I'm done with that, I come to halt. I can add any kind of synth preset to the loop and to my ears it feels off, as in the sound choice is out of place and clashes with the drums. The exception is if I choose orchestral sounds, then to me it sounds great.

Have any of you guys ever experienced this? I wonder if it's psychological, like how some people underestimate the quality of their work, or what.

You are quite lucky, usually its the exact opposite. People will sit and listen to their 8 bar loop for hours, marvelled by their creation. You may simply have a higher standard.

Change up your routine. Hold back on the drums for a while, until you have a stronger foundation. Bassline and chord sequence, then drums, for example. Its easier to make something once you have a clearer view of where you want your track to go. (or where it wants to go) This approach should force you to consider melodic elements first, and train you in these, and I suspect thats the problem anyway.

And remember, when you are not making music, you should be listening to music.

Wicked Sushi
Mar 12, 2005

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

You are quite lucky, usually its the exact opposite. People will sit and listen to their 8 bar loop for hours, marvelled by their creation. You may simply have a higher standard.

Change up your routine. Hold back on the drums for a while, until you have a stronger foundation. Bassline and chord sequence, then drums, for example. Its easier to make something once you have a clearer view of where you want your track to go. (or where it wants to go) This approach should force you to consider melodic elements first, and train you in these, and I suspect thats the problem anyway.

And remember, when you are not making music, you should be listening to music.

I wish I could be in that position. If I'm comfortable with a loop, then that's it. It's a matter of simply adding variations from that point on. The type of music I want to produce doesn't require much more than that.

I will try that out, produce everything else first, but the drums. And you're right, melodic elements are one of those aspects that I'm not comfortable with. I can't really write melodies without using composing software or built in MIDI tools, for one. Percussion though, I get that down easily.

Here's a sample of a remix that I have been working on for a while, but haven't finished yet: http://www.vulomedia.com/audio/audiofiles/49227Remix.mp3 Not something I usually produce, but it sounds good to me as it is. But then, it's only percussion and I really want to add a synth over it.

Wicked Sushi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 25, 2009

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
What I would suggest you to do is to try to recreate the same sounds from other tracks in that genre.
While this may not be very original, it will give you a good idea of what sounds to look for. Once you've nailed that, you'll be able to trust your ears in selecting new sounds.

I used to have the same problem where I really liked my drums but all the synth sounds were terrible. Once I nailed every single standard-sound in that genre, my ability to select good sounds improved a shitload.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was digging through some stuff I made a few years back and felt like sharing. For context of the quality of these, I made them while waiting for people to log on and play Counterstrike.

This is mainly clips of Doctor Light from Mega Man 8.

I made this song out of all the sound effects in Windows Pinball.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

For context of the quality of these, I made them while waiting for people to log on and play Counterstrike.

these are horrible. why would you post horrible work and then be like "oh yeah its cool i made them while i was playing video games"

???

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

oredun posted:

these are horrible. why would you post horrible work and then be like "oh yeah its cool i made them while i was playing video games"

???

To lower your expectations and shock you with how good they are!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

oredun posted:

???

I think its a joke dude

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I think its a joke dude

Exactly, it's fun to laugh at stupid stuff we made years ago. I figured specifically mentioning Counterstrike would set the mood for the terribad music.

Wicked Sushi
Mar 12, 2005

The Fog posted:

What I would suggest you to do is to try to recreate the same sounds from other tracks in that genre.
While this may not be very original, it will give you a good idea of what sounds to look for. Once you've nailed that, you'll be able to trust your ears in selecting new sounds.

I used to have the same problem where I really liked my drums but all the synth sounds were terrible. Once I nailed every single standard-sound in that genre, my ability to select good sounds improved a shitload.

Lately I have been trying to do that, re-create some of my favorite tracks, then change them up a little. And YES! I find most of the presets that come with my virtual instruments to sound really cheap/cheesy, especially after turning off the reverb and delay from them.

Damien
Jun 21, 2003
Hey guys,

I don't know what to do with this from here:

Overall, this track was as much a an experiment with sampling as it was anything else. All of the sounds in this are sampled from vinyl except for the bass and the synth that comes in towards the middle (which I might take out or change the sound of).
I find that it's a bit wandering/meandering so I know that that's a problem, should I scrap it and just learn from it, or does it just need one defining addition? I kind of learned that in the case of something like this, less can definitely be more and that I need to do more variation next time and less layering, especially with the kind of sound I'm going for.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Damien posted:

Hey guys,

I don't know what to do with this from here:

Yeah it loses steam half way through. Try taking it in a different direction at that point instead of the three-minute rallentando. :)

Sounds a lot like something off ISDN to my ears. Which I consider a good thing. Definitely some very interesting sounds in there.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

This beat took me so long to settle down nicely.

edit: i just re-did everything again:
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/On%20The%20Sun%202.mp3

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 28, 2009

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

IanTheM posted:

Maybe my assumptions are all wrong here, but dude put the bong down.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
why the gently caress did goons go bananas with shuffled hats and percussion all at the same time? Did I miss some sort of meeting on this?

Maybe its just me, but I think its loving horrible.

edit: wait im sorry I retract that. put the bong down.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

prom candy posted:

Maybe my assumptions are all wrong here, but dude put the bong down.

I honestly think dubstep has gotten out of hand. I guess it can happen to any genre, at any time, if it gains a whiff of popularity.

prom candy, I think you've got some cool sounds in there, but I just can't take the seriously offtime stuff. I think if you de-schizo it, you'll end up with something really awesome.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

why the gently caress did goons go bananas with shuffled hats and percussion all at the same time?
They listen to a lot of dubstep now but don't really "get" 2step hats?

Did I miss some sort of meeting on this?
lol (e: not lolling at you, but at the explosion of dubstep beats in here)

Ian, you're trying to go for like a spacey dubstep techno vibe or something, right? Pull back on the hats. A couple of them do have to be on beat for the offbeat ones to work. I'd pull the reverb on the hats back a little. Make it a little more crispy. Nice sounds, though.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 28, 2009

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xpander posted:

prom candy, I think you've got some cool sounds in there, but I just can't take the seriously offtime stuff. I think if you de-schizo it, you'll end up with something really awesome.

I didn't make that track. I made another track on the last page that no one commented on... yet.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

IanTheM posted:

Yo this is real cool man. Just agree with everyone else that the drums are a little all over the place. The tempo is a bit fast for an atmospheric piece like this. I would just slow all the percussion down and rework it from there.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I just replaced my old macbook pro with the brand new ones, and a 500gb HDD this time (couldn't spring 650 extra bucks for a 250gb Solid State)

But they loving removed the normal Firewire port, and now I guess i have to get an FW800 > FW400 cord so I can use my interface arrrghh

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

IanTheM posted:

http://soundcloud.com/stranger-song/i-wish-you-could-talk-stranger-song-remix

Was cutting up this amen break like this a bad idea?

holy poo poo this is awesome. I really like the Clark/Autechre glassy strings sound.

Mannex fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 28, 2009

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

prom candy posted:

I didn't make that track. I made another track on the last page that no one commented on... yet.

prom candy posted:

As per the advice of about 30 pages back to FINISH SOME loving SONGS here's a finished loving song.

Although I'm closing the project and not editing it anymore, critiques and advice would be awesome for my next song. I'm especially looking for ideas on how to make it less muddy, I couldn't figure out how to carve the EQ without gutting my instruments.

As far as the EQ goes you might want to take some of the low/mid end out of the synths. It hits a lot of notes that are clashing with the guitar part. And maybe boost a bit of the guitars mid to help it stand out. Throw a low pass on the bass so the overtones aren't conflicting with things too much.

As far as arranging goes I kept expecting to hear a reverse cymbal or a crash to fill in the spaces and define section changes but it's cool without it too.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

IanTheM posted:

i like it :)

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

RizieN posted:

I just replaced my old macbook pro with the brand new ones, and a 500gb HDD this time (couldn't spring 650 extra bucks for a 250gb Solid State)

But they loving removed the normal Firewire port, and now I guess i have to get an FW800 > FW400 cord so I can use my interface arrrghh

They're pretty cheap fortunately:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=firewire+adapter&x=0&y=0

Damien
Jun 21, 2003
It sounds like Brian Eno and Burial got together and got really, really high.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

why the gently caress did goons go bananas with shuffled hats and percussion all at the same time? Did I miss some sort of meeting on this?

Maybe its just me, but I think its loving horrible.

edit: wait im sorry I retract that. put the bong down.

Dubstep and Ableton Live 8's grooves are to blame, I think.

I've been toying with real drums and real instruments as sound sources recently:

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Maybe I'm permanently hosed in the head by the current generation of w*nky/post-Dilla/anti-beat music, but I'm so used to things being off a bit that they become part of the entire sound. Swinging between fast and tripping up almost seems natural sometimes, and at least my kicks are in synch. Anyway, to illustrate my point:

Samiyam, the greatest criminal within this style. Even I don't dig the beat sometimes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvZuaRSfoN8&feature=related

Flying Lotus took me a while to 'get' especially the high hats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF1Ss4pVPpE

This Burial beat seems a bit off because of the lack of 2-step's other percussion elements until you feel the kick, and it clicks.
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/dubplates/U%20Hurt%20Me%20%28Alternate%20Mix%29.mp3

Zomby might seem a bit more normal, since his drums are usually done normally, but not always:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcglDzT-HlQ

Quincy Smallvoice that was the meeting for you.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

IanTheM posted:

Maybe I'm permanently hosed in the head by the current generation of w*nky/post-Dilla/anti-beat music, but I'm so used to things being off a bit that they become part of the entire sound. Swinging between fast and tripping up almost seems natural sometimes, and at least my kicks are in synch. Anyway, to illustrate my point:

Samiyam, the greatest criminal within this style. Even I don't dig the beat sometimes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvZuaRSfoN8&feature=related

Flying Lotus took me a while to 'get' especially the high hats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF1Ss4pVPpE

This Burial beat seems a bit off because of the lack of 2-step's other percussion elements until you feel the kick, and it clicks.
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/dubplates/U%20Hurt%20Me%20%28Alternate%20Mix%29.mp3

Zomby might seem a bit more normal, since his drums are usually done normally, but not always:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcglDzT-HlQ

Quincy Smallvoice that was the meeting for you.

dude exactly. do you have aim? id like to speak with you

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

IanTheM posted:

I feel you dude, I know what you're going for and I struggle with it all the time in my productions. My garage drums STILL don't sound 100% right, but yours are off by like perfect half beats all the time. It just sounds sloppy, and not in the way I'm totally on the same page with you about. I think if you just changed some hits here or there, it'd help.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

I feel you dude, I know what you're going for and I struggle with it all the time in my productions. My garage drums STILL don't sound 100% right, but yours are off by like perfect half beats all the time. It just sounds sloppy, and not in the way I'm totally on the same page with you about. I think if you just changed some hits here or there, it'd help.

Yeah when I get back from the bank I'm gonna sit on that beat for a bit, see what happens. I've made some perfectly mj cole style garage beats, but I'm looking for something else:
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/Analog.mp3

aim:
the36mafiafan

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Weird BIAS posted:

As far as arranging goes I kept expecting to hear a reverse cymbal or a crash to fill in the spaces and define section changes but it's cool without it too.

Well see now that I know how to make that sound I hear in like everyone's songs maybe I'll give it a try! Thanks for the feedback.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

IanTheM posted:

Samiyam

Flying Lotus

Oh man I love all this. It sounds like they got really high and couldn't decide whether to play straight or swing. It just makes your face squinch all up and you go "drat" and start nodding your head.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
I'm looking for a way to play around with electronic music during downtime at work (of which there is plenty). Are there any standalone freeware / flash synthesizers where I can loop an arpeggio and twist some oscillator/envelope/lfo knobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
I love weekends because it's so hot and there is literally nothing to do but stay inside:
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/Wola.mp3

• Locked thread