Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

samoth posted:

My Sprint contract is up and despite some problems with customer service, I've decided I'll probably stick with them since we get a good discount through work.

I'm currently paying about $53/month for two phones with 550 minutes and text.

I'd like to stay below $100/month (before work discount) and pick up either two Tours or two Pres, what is the best method to do this without breaking the bank?

Call *2 the morning after your contract is up, say "cancel" at the prompt. Retentions will pick up; tell them what they have to do to keep you. The brief version is: "I want two ____ phones and I want to pay less than _____, I need ____ minutes to stay on Sprint, I want unlimited text and data, and I don't want to deal with any mail-in rebates, can you make this happen?"

They should move you to one of the various "Everything" family plans, ship you two new phones overnight (charged to your next bill), and up your contract for 2 years. Don't do this on a Friday or you will have to wait until Monday to get the goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StuntDouble
May 31, 2009
Update/New Question

I've gone with Kalibar's suggestion and picked up a SERO contract on Ebay, but apparently I get special pricing on phones for starting a new contract. I initially wanted the HTC Touch Pro, but the "special" pricing for it on Sprint's page is $299 after the savings. I can get one refurbished on Ebay for 200, so that isn't terribly appealing. What I think I'll do is use the discount now to get a cheaper phone to tide me over until I can get my finances in order and buy the Pro on ebay. I'm willing to fork over about 50 bucks for one of Sprint's phones, which means I can either go for a free phone like the Rumor 2/Katana/M320 or pay some money to pick up a Lotus/Centro/Ace. Any phone recommendations for this situation?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

StuntDouble posted:

Update/New Question

I've gone with Kalibar's suggestion and picked up a SERO contract on Ebay, but apparently I get special pricing on phones for starting a new contract. I initially wanted the HTC Touch Pro, but the "special" pricing for it on Sprint's page is $299 after the savings. I can get one refurbished on Ebay for 200, so that isn't terribly appealing. What I think I'll do is use the discount now to get a cheaper phone to tide me over until I can get my finances in order and buy the Pro on ebay. I'm willing to fork over about 50 bucks for one of Sprint's phones, which means I can either go for a free phone like the Rumor 2/Katana/M320 or pay some money to pick up a Lotus/Centro/Ace. Any phone recommendations for this situation?

Wait until you the touch pro 2 comes out and if sprint allows it to work on sero plans. In the long run a pro2 will be better than an original pro especially if sprint lets it on sero since personally its an awesome phone that improves on the original pro and well worth the cost of it. The main limiting factor will be though if sprint blocks it from being allowed on sero plans and starts blocking sero customers from upgrading period.

StuntDouble
May 31, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Wait until you the touch pro 2 comes out and if sprint allows it to work on sero plans. In the long run a pro2 will be better than an original pro especially if sprint lets it on sero since personally its an awesome phone that improves on the original pro and well worth the cost of it. The main limiting factor will be though if sprint blocks it from being allowed on sero plans and starts blocking sero customers from upgrading period.

I'd really rather not wait that long without any cell phone at all. I may change my "buy later" option to the Touch Pro 2 though. I'm trying to figure out what to do in the mean time, as I have no experience with Sprint's line of phones.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Search eBay for the Samsung M610, the best flip phone Sprint ever sold. Katana DLX is also a good choice. Neither is terribly expensive.

Save your device discount until we know if the TP2 and/or TD2 and/or Sprint's rumored HTC Hero all launch and we know which (if any) of them work on SERO.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I need some advice.

I'm currently on a Verizon family plan with 3 lines. I recently renewed with a 2yr contract in December '08. I would like to drop my line from the plan, but keep the other two lines. I would then like to signup with Sprint and keep my same phone #.

Couple of questions:

1) Would it be possible to signup with Sprint, have them transfer my number without breaking contract with Verizon? Would this be cost effective assuming $25/mo for that one line (not sure what the termination fees are) ?

2) In what order do I need to do this in order to ensure Verizon doesn't just kill my number (I would like to keep my number) ?

3) Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

900ftjesus posted:

Call *2 the morning after your contract is up, say "cancel" at the prompt. Retentions will pick up; tell them what they have to do to keep you. The brief version is: "I want two ____ phones and I want to pay less than _____, I need ____ minutes to stay on Sprint, I want unlimited text and data, and I don't want to deal with any mail-in rebates, can you make this happen?"

They should move you to one of the various "Everything" family plans, ship you two new phones overnight (charged to your next bill), and up your contract for 2 years. Don't do this on a Friday or you will have to wait until Monday to get the goods.

Thanks. My contract is already up and we're going month to month, will that negatively effect my bargaining ability? I've heard retentions lost a lot of their perks, what could I reasonably expect to get?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Depending on what response I get I'll post a more full-bodied/formal description of my situation, but it might not even be necessary.

I'm thinking of getting a Blackberry Storm, but I heard a lot of bad things about it crashing/having a mediocre interface/not many apps when it first came out. Other than just basic phone stuff all I really want is to be able to gently caress around on AIM/Facebook/Twitter without constant crashing. If things have improved at all since the Storm came out I'll probably go with it.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

samoth posted:

Thanks. My contract is already up and we're going month to month, will that negatively effect my bargaining ability? I've heard retentions lost a lot of their perks, what could I reasonably expect to get?

gently caress no, it means you can go to another carrier tomorrow if you want. It will make them more responsive. No idea about the perks or whatever, but it's their job to keep you on Sprint as long as you pay a certain amount per person depending on what you want.

I pay next to nothing, so they could really give a poo poo what I do. I never call support unless something is hosed, I try to do all service in-store and just try to stay under the radar.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

OtspIII posted:

Depending on what response I get I'll post a more full-bodied/formal description of my situation, but it might not even be necessary.

I'm thinking of getting a Blackberry Storm, but I heard a lot of bad things about it crashing/having a mediocre interface/not many apps when it first came out. Other than just basic phone stuff all I really want is to be able to gently caress around on AIM/Facebook/Twitter without constant crashing. If things have improved at all since the Storm came out I'll probably go with it.

Blackberry Tour on Sprint EPRP, better price better phone.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

900ftjesus posted:

Blackberry Tour on Sprint EPRP, better price better phone.

Not to mention that it's kind of dumb to get a touchscreen-only phone when your primary use is text-heavy applications.

(Although, to be fair, I found typing on the iPhone easier than on a vast majority of phones with hardware keyboards.)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

OtspIII posted:

The Storm certainly has improved leaps and bounds from the launch where it was bug-ridden because VZW and Vodafone rushed it. It still is inferior to the MyTouch 3G and iPhone and some WM touchscreen devices (Diamond 2). So I'll second Tour + Sprint EPRP. The Tour is amazing, it's the best BlackBerry crafted so far. And EPRP is great, $60/month for unlimited texts, unlimited data and 550 minutes.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Country/Provider: Anything but Verizon

Current contract status: Pre-paid T-Mobile

Budget (phone/plan): $100 phone/$70 per month

Features I know I want: Nothing special, pretty much just a cheap plan with unlimited or a good amount of texting. No touch phones, just looking to keep this as cheap as possible. A full keyboard would be nice.

Also if I switch to a different GSM provider I can just pop the sim card I get with my new plan in my current phone, correct?

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

Country/Provider: Anything, no preference. I get a discount through my university for about 15% with any of the providers.

Current contract status: Out of Contract with Verizon

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like it to be as cheap as possible a month. Right now I pay around $50

Features I know I want: About 200-250 texting a month, and I'd like a phone with a flip out QWERTY keyboard. Also I'd like good reception.

I do not care about taking pictures, internet, anything fancy.

Axlan
Dec 26, 2005
Swashbuckling Scholar
Just a general question, is there any provider/phone combo that allows VOIP using a data plan? I would like a smart phone and was wondering if the cheapest choice would be to go with a no voice data plan.

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

I swoon over Alex Smith's dreamy eyebrows
My younger sister recently lost her LG Vu (AT&T) and I'm looking to replace it. At first I was thinking about just picking up the same phone, but is there anything better out there around the same price point? Preferably a touch screen

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.
So I think I'm going to hold out for the Omnia II on Verizon, hopefully it won't be too ridiculously expensive when it finally comes out (and maybe with a nice sale). Anyway, I need something to tide me over for a few months until then. I want to get on my parents family plan so I'll only have to pay 10 bucks for minutes. I text a lot, but most everyone I talk/text is on Verizon, so the 10/month texting plan should do it for me (has unlimited Verizon texts). It looks like the Samsung Smooth can be had for less than 50 bucks on eBay, so that I won't be locked into a contract. Would this be a decent phone for just basic calls and a good amount of texting? Literally the last phone I had was a Motorola E815 from 2005.

taupoke
Apr 26, 2008

by T. Finninho
I'll be getting a Nokia 6220 soon and it comes with a GPS function. Anybody here had experience with the model/GPS of Nokia's? Is it worthwhile having?

belle of my ballz
Sep 14, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I've been through the catalogue of phones in the last year
In chronological order, iPhone 2g, iPhone 3g, Blackberry Curve, Nokia E71 and the Blackberry storm

I hated both blackberries, the storm in particular with a fiery passion

What I do : Site administration/webmaster, part time job that requires me to be able to be online 24/7, college student

My price range : Would like to keep it under 500$ but i'm willing to stretch if needed

Must be GSM and unlocked, i'm going under Rogers :canada: and don't want a contract with those guys

I'm now looking for a phone that does the following
Email, and does it well
Browser that is usable ( looking at you curve)
Syncs contacts with my Mac
Battery that lasts all day, as in I only need to charge once a day.
Preferably a built in/downloadable Bloomberg app as I check that many times a day and hate the .m site

I do lots of mobile browsing, email 10-20 a day, although it can be more at times.

My main candidates are the : Dream by HTC ( g1/g2)
iPhone 3g/s, don't really want to pay extra for the 3gs but convince me
Nokia E71

But i'm open to suggestions

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

What didn't you like about the previous iPhones you owned? The 3GS is going to be roughly the same experience (arguably the best experience available on a smartphone today), just a bit faster. Some folks take issue with the iPhone's onscreen keyboard for text entry, but I like it quite a bit (composing this very post on my 3GS) and would argue that it's better than many phones' hardware keyboard.

Why is E71 an 'option' if you already own(ed) it?

If you use Gmail, the integration on the Dream, Magic, and in a couple months Hero is going to be second to none for you. Gmail on the iPhone works, but you may find yourself reading it in the web browser to take advantage of the 480x320-formatted version of Gmail with conversation view and all the other Gmail goodies we're accustomed to.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
# Country/Provider: USA / AT&T

# Current contract status: Company plan; I pay zilch. No data plan though and really no option of getting one (nor do I want one on this particular phone).

# Budget (phone/plan): I want to buy an unlocked phone (Up to $400 or so) that belongs to my name; I have permission to do this, I just need to pick something that's compatible. In particular, I want to keep the phone after I leave the company.

# Features I know I want: I think an N85 or a N5800 fits what I want based on previous posts.

What I'm worried about is whether or not I will be able to properly swap the SIM card into the unlocked phone without any fuss. It's the assumption that at the end of my contract, I will turn the SIM over back to the company and I will be left with my unlocked Nokia. At this point, I assume I'm free to jump on any contract plan that I so desire.

Is this making sense? Am I safe to buy an N85 or a N5800 even without the data plan on my SIM? I contemplated doing the 3GS phone flip, but I'd rather not mix those affairs with my company SIM.

[edit]Actually, I can probably just flip an iphone after I leave the company and get back to AT&T.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 29, 2009

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
Country/Provider: USA

Current contract status: I have AT&T but that's not really important...

Budget (phone/plan): Cheap, please

Features I know I want: Just basic service, texting maybe, no frills.

I need to get my almost 10 year old a phone for when she is at her dad's house and for after school. My cell service is with AT&T, but it's on my dad's company's plan and that's not really an option here, so I will be paying for this one (thus the need for cheap.) Basically all I need is a sturdy, affordable, possibly pre-paid phone. I know very little about pre-paid service, is it a bad idea? I highly doubt she will use the phone to just call her buddies, as she's not really into that stage yet. I have looked at the websites for Best Buy and Wal-Mart, and there are some REALLY cheap pay-as-you-go phones, but are there any hidden costs there? Would I be better off just signing up for a plan, and if so - which kind?

Thanks for the help!

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

appleskates posted:

I need to get my almost 10 year old a phone for when she is at her dad's house and for after school. My cell service is with AT&T, but it's on my dad's company's plan and that's not really an option here, so I will be paying for this one (thus the need for cheap.) Basically all I need is a sturdy, affordable, possibly pre-paid phone. I know very little about pre-paid service, is it a bad idea? I highly doubt she will use the phone to just call her buddies, as she's not really into that stage yet. I have looked at the websites for Best Buy and Wal-Mart, and there are some REALLY cheap pay-as-you-go phones, but are there any hidden costs there? Would I be better off just signing up for a plan, and if so - which kind?

Thanks for the help!

For something this basic, you probably want the gophone mobile to mobile plan. I'm assuming she'd only be calling you, of course. Then it's only $1 per day she uses the phone. I think texts would just be $.20 to send/recieve.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/go-phones/index.jsp

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

belle of my ballz posted:

I've been through the catalogue of phones in the last year
In chronological order, iPhone 2g, iPhone 3g, Blackberry Curve, Nokia E71 and the Blackberry storm

I hated both blackberries, the storm in particular with a fiery passion

What I do : Site administration/webmaster, part time job that requires me to be able to be online 24/7, college student

My price range : Would like to keep it under 500$ but i'm willing to stretch if needed

Must be GSM and unlocked, i'm going under Rogers :canada: and don't want a contract with those guys

I'm now looking for a phone that does the following
Email, and does it well
Browser that is usable ( looking at you curve)
Syncs contacts with my Mac
Battery that lasts all day, as in I only need to charge once a day.
Preferably a built in/downloadable Bloomberg app as I check that many times a day and hate the .m site

I do lots of mobile browsing, email 10-20 a day, although it can be more at times.

My main candidates are the : Dream by HTC ( g1/g2)
iPhone 3g/s, don't really want to pay extra for the 3gs but convince me
Nokia E71

But i'm open to suggestions

It almost sounds like you're a bit indecisive in general. No offense. Thats just a crazy number of phones to go through in such a short span of time.

Browser: there is currently no better mobile browser than iPhone. At all. No one I know even bothers to debate this.

Email: I don't have crazy heavy email needs but I do know that a BB Bold or Tour has a bit of an edge on iPhone in this department.

Bloomberg / finance apps: iPhone. Unless you need something with mobile instant alerts for stock price points (even still , I'm certain you could find one that txts you these things)

Mobile network administration: Jailbroken iPhone can be an on the go remote terminal. Yes, winmo can also do this, but winmo is loving painful to use. Also AFAIK they don't have any phones currently as spec'd out and peppy as the 3GS' processor / RAM.

lastly: if would really help if you told us what you disliked about the previous iPhones you've owned. From there we can let you know if those issues have been fixed or if you'll just be disappointed in the device.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

appleskates posted:

Thanks for the help!

T-Mobile To Go or whatever they call their prepaid service. Buy a $100 card, it's active for 1 year. Then when the year is up near to being up, buy another $100 card.

Steinbeck posted:

It almost sounds like you're a bit indecisive in general. No offense. Thats just a crazy number of phones to go through in such a short span of time.

Browser: there is currently no better mobile browser than iPhone. At all. No one I know even bothers to debate this.

Email: I don't have crazy heavy email needs but I do know that a BB Bold or Tour has a bit of an edge on iPhone in this department.

Bloomberg / finance apps: iPhone. Unless you need something with mobile instant alerts for stock price points (even still , I'm certain you could find one that txts you these things)

Mobile network administration: Jailbroken iPhone can be an on the go remote terminal. Yes, winmo can also do this, but winmo is loving painful to use. Also AFAIK they don't have any phones currently as spec'd out and peppy as the 3GS' processor / RAM.

lastly: if would really help if you told us what you disliked about the previous iPhones you've owned. From there we can let you know if those issues have been fixed or if you'll just be disappointed in the device.

If you want to see people go through ridiculous amounts of phones, go to HoFo. One guy there has had 2+ Bolds, 2 8900s and a few iPhones. The iPhone isn't too bad when hooked up to an Exchange server, but if your company has a BES, BlackBerry is a ton better. belle of my ballz, the iPhone 3GS would be the best option for you with a jailbreak.

Rascyc posted:

# Country/Provider: USA / AT&T

# Current contract status: Company plan; I pay zilch. No data plan though and really no option of getting one (nor do I want one on this particular phone).

# Budget (phone/plan): I want to buy an unlocked phone (Up to $400 or so) that belongs to my name; I have permission to do this, I just need to pick something that's compatible. In particular, I want to keep the phone after I leave the company.

# Features I know I want: I think an N85 or a N5800 fits what I want based on previous posts.

What I'm worried about is whether or not I will be able to properly swap the SIM card into the unlocked phone without any fuss. It's the assumption that at the end of my contract, I will turn the SIM over back to the company and I will be left with my unlocked Nokia. At this point, I assume I'm free to jump on any contract plan that I so desire.

Is this making sense? Am I safe to buy an N85 or a N5800 even without the data plan on my SIM? I contemplated doing the 3GS phone flip, but I'd rather not mix those affairs with my company SIM.

[edit]Actually, I can probably just flip an iphone after I leave the company and get back to AT&T.

Anything but the 5800. It's not as bad as the N97 because the N97 is a ridiculously priced device but you still have the terrible S60v5. Get the N85 or the E71. The E71 is if you do lots of texting (1000+ texts per month) or do lots of e-mailing. Otherwise, get the N85.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Godzilla07 posted:

T-Mobile To Go or whatever they call their prepaid service. Buy a $100 card, it's active for 1 year. Then when the year is up near to being up, buy another $100 card.

Or just buy a $10 card for the second year.

It auto-renews for an entire year every time you buy another card, regardless of denomination.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I live in the United States and I have Verizon. I am moving to Germany and want to get a prepaid plan with T-mobile. I just talked to a T-Mobile rep and he told me that I should just come to Germany with a phone and that they can just program it to work for their German network. I want to make sure I can get a phone that works. Do you guys know any Verizon phones that will work in Germany and for T-Mobile Deutschland?

EDIT:
I just talked to Verizon and they said they do not unlock any phones. Fuckers...

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 30, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

I live in the United States and I have Verizon. I am moving to Germany and want to get a prepaid plan with T-mobile. I just talked to a T-Mobile rep and he told me that I should just come to Germany with a phone and that they can just program it to work for their German network. I want to make sure I can get a phone that works. Do you guys know any Verizon phones that will work in Germany and for T-Mobile Deutschland?

EDIT:
I just talked to Verizon and they said they do not unlock any phones. Fuckers...

T-Mobile US phones will not work on T-Mobile DE's (Germany) network unless they're unlocked. T-Mobile phones in the US that you buy (i.e., you buy a Curve 8900 from T-Mobile US) will not work on any other network, including other T-Mobile networks in other countries because the phone is locked specifically to T-Mobile US. Verizon does unlock phones, just bitch to them enough saying that you're taking an international trip and they should eventually give it to you. As far as the phones that they have that offer GSM bands (which can be unlocked for international use), the Storm, Tour, 8830, Ozone, Renown and Saga are the only ones with GSM. The 8830 only has dual-band GSM so get a Tour. It's VZW's best phone.

belle of my ballz
Sep 14, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

kalibar posted:

What didn't you like about the previous iPhones you owned? The 3GS is going to be roughly the same experience (arguably the best experience available on a smartphone today), just a bit faster. Some folks take issue with the iPhone's onscreen keyboard for text entry, but I like it quite a bit (composing this very post on my 3GS) and would argue that it's better than many phones' hardware keyboard.

Why is E71 an 'option' if you already own(ed) it?

If you use Gmail, the integration on the Dream, Magic, and in a couple months Hero is going to be second to none for you. Gmail on the iPhone works, but you may find yourself reading it in the web browser to take advantage of the 480x320-formatted version of Gmail with conversation view and all the other Gmail goodies we're accustomed to.

I absolutely loathed the battery life, I was recharging twice, sometimes three times in a day. That is just unacceptable. Everything else I lov/ed on the iPhone. I had both 2/3G and enjoyed them. Although MobileMe really soured the experience for me.

I like the E71 formfactor but I never warmed up to symbian, it seems like a dumbphone OS in a smartphone shell.

What else do goons like about the Dream

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

You can probably forget the Dream if you couldn't tolerate iPhone battery life

What were you doing with the phone to kill it 2-3x/day? I feel like I'm constantly using high-power-draw features of my 3GS (wifi on constantly, music playback, frequent GPS usings, playing online 3D games every night before falling asleep), and my poo poo makes it to the end of a day with ~50% left no problem. If I disabled 3G/WiFi and used the phone just for calls and SMS I'd probably be able to go a week without recharging.

I dunno if we can help you, friend

EDIT: missed the comment about MobileMe. Looks like a ripoff to me so I never tried it, maybe that was your battery culprit

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

belle of my ballz posted:

I absolutely loathed the battery life, I was recharging twice, sometimes three times in a day. That is just unacceptable. Everything else I lov/ed on the iPhone. I had both 2/3G and enjoyed them. Although MobileMe really soured the experience for me.

I like the E71 formfactor but I never warmed up to symbian, it seems like a dumbphone OS in a smartphone shell.

What else do goons like about the Dream

Give the BlackBerry another chance. The Storm is a piece of poo poo. The newer BlackBerrys have changed a lot from that old Curve that you once used. The BlackBerry Bold has good battery life and will make it through a day of good usage. My 8900 lasts a day and a half with heavy usage and will make it through 2 days if I don't really use the phone much at all. The BlackBerry Bold is the only phone that will give you all the features that you want.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Godzilla07 posted:

T-Mobile US phones will not work on T-Mobile DE's (Germany) network unless they're unlocked. T-Mobile phones in the US that you buy (i.e., you buy a Curve 8900 from T-Mobile US) will not work on any other network, including other T-Mobile networks in other countries because the phone is locked specifically to T-Mobile US. Verizon does unlock phones, just bitch to them enough saying that you're taking an international trip and they should eventually give it to you. As far as the phones that they have that offer GSM bands (which can be unlocked for international use), the Storm, Tour, 8830, Ozone, Renown and Saga are the only ones with GSM. The 8830 only has dual-band GSM so get a Tour. It's VZW's best phone.

Would you also recommend a HTC Ozone?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

Would you also recommend a HTC Ozone?

Dear god no. The Tour should be your first option. Keep in mind that all of those phones except for the Renown force you to have a $30/month smartphone data plan.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
USA AT&T
Family Plan (w/ parents)
$400, but maybe a little more if it's really awesome

Wifi/touchscreen/GPS, possibly a qwerty keyboard
Basically looking for a decent smartphone that I can get my feet wet with.

I just recently bought the MWG Zinc II (my first ever smartphone) and have loved using it for the whole 2 days I've had it. However, after trying to research a problem I was having with the backlight (flickers on and off, seems to be a loose connection or something) I discovered the company who made the phone seems to have folded a couple of months ago. Therefore, there will be no more official updates. Truth be told, I'm just now learning the ins and outs of the smartphone landscape, and it sort of irks me that my phone is basically already hitting a feature dead end unless I can go dig up some weirdass cooked ROMs. So, I'm thinking about returning the phone as defective and asking for a refund and looking for something along the same lines, but from a company that's still in business. :P

What do you guys think?

I'm looking at the G1 and the Omnia, for starters.

jkyuusai fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 1, 2009

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009
  • Country/Provider: Denmark

• Current contract status: Open contract

Hello people. I've been on the lookout for a new phone for the last couple of weeks. I mostly wanted an Iphone but my current carrier can't offer it. They offered me these phones instead.

• Nokia 5800N 999 dkkr.

• LG Arena 1599 dkkr.

• HTC Magic 1699 dkkr.
All have unlimited plan with 10gb data 550 dkkr. each month. Perks are free access to https://www.tdcplay.dk a huge music library.

I then went to the monopoly carrier that has Iphone. Their offer was.
  • Iphone 3G 1099 dkkr.
Their plan is unlimited with 10gb data 600 dkkr. each month. Perks are free movie tickets and other weird gimmick stuff.
be aware that all 3GS are sold out for now. It just arrived yesterday and i won't be waiting for restocking.

My question is basicaly this. Can any of the 3 phones that they offered me stand up to the Iphone. Or will i have to go through the hassle of switching companies. Using 2 different numbers for a month will be one of the things i'd have to do, aswell as paying 2 bills the following month. I'll mostly use the phone for gaming/music and texting/IMing aswell as some internet surfing. I'm very interested in the Iphones huge app library. Can any of the other phones offer anything like that?
Thanks for helping.

edit: Current exchange rate 5.26
edit2: Edited in perks. Might make a small difference.

Baron FU fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 1, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Baron FU posted:

• Country/Provider: Denmark

• Current contract status: Open contract

Hello people. I've been on the lookout for a new phone for the last couple of weeks. I mostly wanted an Iphone but my current carrier can't offer it. They offered me these phones instead.

• Nokia 5800N 999 dkkr.

• LG Arena 1599 dkkr.

• HTC Magic 1699 dkkr.
All have unlimited plan with 10gb data 550 dkkr. each month. Perks are free access to https://www.tdcplay.dk a huge music library.

I then went to the monopoly carrier that has Iphone. Their offer was.
  • Iphone 3G 1099 dkkr.
Their plan is unlimited with 10gb data 600 dkkr. each month. Perks are free movie tickets and other weird gimmick stuff.
be aware that all 3GS are sold out for now. It just arrived yesterday and i won't be waiting for restocking.

My question is basicaly this. Can any of the 3 phones that they offered me stand up to the Iphone. Or will i have to go through the hassle of switching companies. Using 2 different numbers for a month will be one of the things i'd have to do, aswell as paying 2 bills the following month. I'll mostly use the phone for gaming/music and texting/IMing aswell as some internet surfing. I'm very interested in the Iphones huge app library. Can any of the other phones offer anything like that?
Thanks for helping.

edit: Current exchange rate 5.26
edit2: Edited in perks. Might make a small difference.

The Magic is the only phone that's really comparable to the iPhone. The HTC Hero is a little bit better and worse at the same time. I would take the Magic as it's better than the iPhone 3G. The 5800 is a joke when compared up against the iPhone. The LG Arena is a dumbphone which doesn't even belong in the same category as the iPhone. So take the Magic.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Can you enlighten us as to why you prefer the Magic to the Hero and/or what makes the Hero "a little bit worse"? The Hero is better in every way.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Country/Provider: Netherlands, T-Mobile, pre-paid.
Features I'd like: Calendar and tasks. Web browser. E-mail. Don't give a hoot about cameras. Gmail Calender, Outlook calendar synchronization would be great, but really something i can live without. Downloadable applications would be cool as balls. MP3 player would be neat too, but not a must-have. Oh, and call. I would like to be able to call people too, that's pretty high on my list.
Phones that struck fancy: A pal of mine has the LG Arena, which looked very cool. I liked the lack of buttons and its touchscreen flipping through menus.
Smartphone/Blackberry: I'm not sure what extra features these things offer. :shobon:
Budget: I have no idea what's par. I went to a phonestore earlier today and all the phones said FREE (ask about terms), which i thought awfully suspicious and walked out to actually gather info. Let's set a base price for... 250 euros. Dependent on how many of my wanted features i can get for that, price will go up or down.

My current phone is positively ancient, and i really have no idea what all the current phones can do. Any help would be appreciated.

*edit, forgot budget*

shelper fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 2, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

Can you enlighten us as to why you prefer the Magic to the Hero and/or what makes the Hero "a little bit worse"? The Hero is better in every way.

HTC's Sense UI looks to break the back of the ARM11. There's too much going on at once. I know that you use a 3GS. Try doing the things that you do with it using the old ARM11 from the iPod touch and iPhone 2G and 3G. It's going to be a lot slower. Even if the ARM11 was clocked at max speed, it would still be slower than the Cortex. HTC's Sense UI has a lot more going on than an iPhone normally would, even jailbroken and a few apps backgrounded with Backgrounder. There is no need for 2 clocks. The widgets and such are too much for that ARM11. It makes the phone slow. I can stand bad UIs if the phone doesn't lag but if the phone does, I want to throw it at the wall. Plus the Hero has the godawful Leno chin which I personally despise. I really want to like the Hero but the chin and that the Sense UI is too much for the device makes me turn away. I still wouldn't use an Android device as my primary though because there's not one with a decent physical keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Godzilla07 posted:

Anything but the 5800. It's not as bad as the N97 because the N97 is a ridiculously priced device but you still have the terrible S60v5. Get the N85 or the E71. The E71 is if you do lots of texting (1000+ texts per month) or do lots of e-mailing. Otherwise, get the N85.
Good call, loving my new N85 and everything worked out seamlessly! Thanks!