Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

8ender posted:

Don't let those pictures fool you. The 2010 Legacy is just puffed up because its angry. They do that.
I wouldn't mind if my Subaru could inhale a Corvette and gain its powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

So, after getting my car back with a new engine, I am very sensitive to all of the sounds it makes. I've put about 300 miles on the new engine and now I'm noticing a ticking noise that changes with engine speed. I don't remember hearing that before but I think it is valvetrain noise that
I never noticed.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?
How does the WRX do as a daily driver? I'm going to have to start driving to work in a few weeks, so I'm looking for something that will be cheap, reliable, fun, and able to deal with the occasional freak Seattle winter snowfall. I was thinking something like this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/1285972053.html Is there anything I should look out for on one with that many miles?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

upsciLLion posted:

How does the WRX do as a daily driver? I'm going to have to start driving to work in a few weeks, so I'm looking for something that will be cheap, reliable, fun, and able to deal with the occasional freak Seattle winter snowfall. I was thinking something like this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/1285972053.html Is there anything I should look out for on one with that many miles?

He says he replaced the timing belt, radiator and tires in the past year of which the tires and the timing belt are the things I'd look out for. Only other question I'd ask was when the last time the brakes were done was.

Should be good as a daily driver, the 2.0L should get respectable mileage and will have some fun passing power to get you around. Plus if it gets dull mods are relatively cheap and easy to install.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

bung posted:

So, after getting my car back with a new engine, I am very sensitive to all of the sounds it makes. I've put about 300 miles on the new engine and now I'm noticing a ticking noise that changes with engine speed. I don't remember hearing that before but I think it is valvetrain noise that
I never noticed.

I wouldn't worry unless it gets louder. Boxer engine make all sorts of crazy noises. With 115k my Impreza sounds like a tractor or a bag of clocks depending on the rpm.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

I went out last night to drive the Impreza and Legacy and yeah, I like the 09 Legacy a lot more than the 2010 that was pictured. I was unfortunately very disappointed in the power of the on both. I am coming from an 03' Sentra Spec V and before I got into the car the sales guy said that if I like the power and handling of my current car, I will not be happy with a non-turbo/sport suspension Subaru. I took the Impreza out and liked the ergonomics but the shifter was really sloppy. I drove another one to see if that was the case with all of them and it was the same. I had my heart on driving a new one home last night but now I will need to justify the extra expense of getting a WRX and a short throw...

To keep in my budget, looks like I am going to have to find an older WRX

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

slowspeedracer posted:

I went out last night to drive the Impreza and Legacy and yeah, I like the 09 Legacy a lot more than the 2010 that was pictured. I was unfortunately very disappointed in the power of the on both. I am coming from an 03' Sentra Spec V and before I got into the car the sales guy said that if I like the power and handling of my current car, I will not be happy with a non-turbo/sport suspension Subaru. I took the Impreza out and liked the ergonomics but the shifter was really sloppy. I drove another one to see if that was the case with all of them and it was the same. I had my heart on driving a new one home last night but now I will need to justify the extra expense of getting a WRX and a short throw...

You know you can probably get a short shifter and bushings on NASIOC for like...cheap. Its like a 10 minute install you do yourself. Even then, the kartboy shifter and bushing brand new isnt expensive either.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

slowspeedracer posted:

What's your budget? If you were shopping for new NA Subarus, you can definitely afford a very late model Legacy GT/WRX.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

I currently pay $262 for my Spec V and was looking to keep it the same or cheaper. My mom picked up an 09 Legacy for $235 on a lease, so i decided to check it out. I have never leased a car because of the absurd amount of miles I drive about 20,000/yr but I moved closer to work, and like any responsible adult, bought a Ducati Monster so I would not be driving as much so I can get away with a lease. My intention was to lease the car, then purchase it after the lease expires and then get myself deep into modding hell.

For my job I prep mainly SCCA touring/super touring class race cars and would not mind changing out the suspension and shifter. I just don't think I could live with an NA car until the warranty expires. It was suicidal pulling out onto Woodward without having the turbo.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

Zsbaug24 posted:

He says he replaced the timing belt, radiator and tires in the past year of which the tires and the timing belt are the things I'd look out for. Only other question I'd ask was when the last time the brakes were done was.

Should be good as a daily driver, the 2.0L should get respectable mileage and will have some fun passing power to get you around. Plus if it gets dull mods are relatively cheap and easy to install.

Should I stay away from one with that many miles (~125k)? There's another one near by with ~60k miles but it's a 2002 (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1278444292.html). Should I be concerned with the transmission from that model year, or is the weakness of the transmission I've read about over-exaggerated?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I'm taking my WRX back to the dealer tomorrow. The noise I'm hearing isn't audible in neutral while revving the engine. But in gear and under load it is very noticeable. It sounds similar to the rod knock sound only not so loud.

*ETA* Where do I find the engine number? I didn't note the number of the original engine but I'm sure SOA would have that info.

bung fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 24, 2009

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Alright I have a terribly stupid question:

Brand new 2009 Impreza 2.5i:

When parking upwards on an incline, should I expect a slight rollback when I let off the brake pedal? I normally park on level surfaces but I happened to be at a buddy's place and had to use his driveway instead of parking in front of his lawn on the street. Transmission was in first, handbrake applied, and it settled backwards slightly when I let off the pedal.

This is the very first new car I've ever had so little things like this that I wouldn't think twice about in a 15+ year old beater I constantly reconsider and find myself curious about.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Cuntpunch posted:

Alright I have a terribly stupid question:

Brand new 2009 Impreza 2.5i:

It's normal. Every manual I've ever driven has done the exact same thing, and I've always assumed it's due to the parking brake not applying the front brakes when engaged.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
It's most likely just the rear bushings deflecting a bit once you unload the front tires. It I notice it on independent suspension cars.

Cars with trailing arms do cooler things in those situations. Like the rear hiking up or squatting down.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Ok, so I just changed the transmission/front diff fluid with a 50/50 mix of Redline Lightweight Shockproof and Motul Gear 300 75w90. The rear with Valvoline 75w90.

Hooooly poo poo.

I recommend that anyone having any little niggling problems or annoyances with their Subaru transmission, switch to this fluid mix immediately. I was having pretty bad grinding going from 3rd to 4th at anything even resembling a moderate pace, and I usually skipped it all together. Now, under very quick shifts to 4th, nothing, at all. The transmission shifts absolutely butter smooth in every gear.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

My 02 Impreza has had an issue for a while thats been bothering me. Its an automatic and the engine seems to fall flat on its face when it hits second gear. First is quick, third is fine but second is trouble. The transmission shifts crispy and quickly, it just seems like the ECU really drops the ball going into second sometimes.

Any ideas what this might be? I'm leaning towards a sensor but I'm not sure where to start. Its got newer plugs and a decently clean air filter. The only unknowns in terms of age are the fuel filter and the sensors.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Is it a good idea to run without my turbo heat shield for a while? I'm pulling it off right now to see if I've got an oil leak there (it looks like there is since I used some oil on my 90 mile drive out here). My replacement lines aren't in yet so I'm going to have to do this on another weekend once I get them and I'm wondering if I can just leave it off to save myself the hassle of removing it.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

TurboLuvah posted:

Ok, so I just changed the transmission/front diff fluid with a 50/50 mix of Redline Lightweight Shockproof and Motul Gear 300 75w90. The rear with Valvoline 75w90.

Hooooly poo poo.

I recommend that anyone having any little niggling problems or annoyances with their Subaru transmission, switch to this fluid mix immediately. I was having pretty bad grinding going from 3rd to 4th at anything even resembling a moderate pace, and I usually skipped it all together. Now, under very quick shifts to 4th, nothing, at all. The transmission shifts absolutely butter smooth in every gear.

Why did you do the front different than the rear?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

LordOfThePants posted:

Is it a good idea to run without my turbo heat shield for a while? I'm pulling it off right now to see if I've got an oil leak there (it looks like there is since I used some oil on my 90 mile drive out here). My replacement lines aren't in yet so I'm going to have to do this on another weekend once I get them and I'm wondering if I can just leave it off to save myself the hassle of removing it.

Yeah that should be fine, a lot of people remove them anyways.

RealKyleH posted:

I'm not sure what you mean? I did the trans/front diff with the Redline-Motul mix, and then used the Valvoline in the rear diff.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

RealKyleH posted:

I would presume because it's got the transmission in the front? From the various oil guides I've seen, the rear is almost always an OEM suggestion whereas the front gets cocktailed.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I ended up putting my turbo heat shield back in place. I don't know how I could have gotten it out without either removing the intercooler or damaging the heat sheild in some way.

The oil leak remains unfound - I'm fairly sure it's not one of the AVCS lines. There was nothing on the turbo or the heat shield that looked like burnt oil and I couldn't find oil anywhere on the lines.

The axle boot under the turbo is intact, so it's not that. It's using oil for sure, I'm just not sure where it's going.

logistik
Sep 11, 2001

I'll give you a TKO from Tokyo!
[e]Apparently the guy was clueless. Carfaxed it and its a local car.

logistik fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 27, 2009

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

After being disappointed in the power of the 2.5 NA I called my insurance company and it would raise my cost by $48 a month to get the WRX. Had them run an 2005 WRX, insurance goes up $0.51 per month, win.

Is there any differences between the 04-07 model years that I should look for or avoid? Probably going with the wagon but other than that I am open.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

slowspeedracer posted:

Is there any differences between the 04-07 model years that I should look for or avoid? Probably going with the wagon but other than that I am open.

Not really significants ones if I remember correctly. Subaru doesn't change anything ever.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

8ender posted:

Not really significants ones if I remember correctly. Subaru doesn't change anything ever.

The brake setup is different on the 06 and 07. Its the subaru branded 4pot/2pot setup. Don't remember if that was all trims or not. Otherwise, yes the same (i think).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

slowspeedracer posted:

After being disappointed in the power of the 2.5 NA I called my insurance company and it would raise my cost by $48 a month to get the WRX. Had them run an 2005 WRX, insurance goes up $0.51 per month, win.

2006+ is the 2.5 turbo

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

nm posted:

2006+ is the 2.5 turbo

04/05 is the 2.0 turbocharged motor, and like nm said, 06/07 is the 2.5 motor. The 06/07 also get an up pipe without a catalytic converter, allegedly stronger gears/trans, and the 4 pot brakes.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
how would a basic Impreza be for a new driver? I'll be starting in 6 months and will be buying used, and want a manual AWD car

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Would a third gen. Legacy (2L Seq. Twin Turbo) be much fun to drive?

It's got pretty much everything I want, and it's in my limited poor rear end price range!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rifles posted:

how would a basic Impreza be for a new driver? I'll be starting in 6 months and will be buying used, and want a manual AWD car

I just had a rental 2009, automatic of course. It was an easy driving car. It was totally base model but overall seemed nice. I've driven a 2006 Outback Sport quite a bit too, and it's fine for driving normally. Manual transmissions on these cars are usually nothing to write home about, but they work and you won't have any problem learning it.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
This is an absolutely retarded question but on a first gen outback the rear windows aren't supposed to go all the way down, right?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Tiny Faye posted:

This is an absolutely retarded question but on a first gen outback the rear windows aren't supposed to go all the way down, right?

No, I believe they stop about 3/4 of the way down, and kind of tilt forward a little.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

Zsbaug24 posted:

She said she hasn't had to have the brakes worked on. I'm having a hard time believing that when the car has 125k miles even if most of the miles were put on between Washington and California. Does this seem to imply that she probably downshifts when coming to a stop?

Edit: NM car was sold.

upsciLLion fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 29, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think it's possible, there was still plenty of life on the stock pads when my dad traded in his '03 at about 60,000 miles. This comes from leaving lots of following distance and easing off the gas to slow down before having to brake heavily, etc. Most people just hit gas and brake to stay a few feet behind each other on the freeway though, and don't get that kind of life. Still, try and get an independent inspection or something. If you are going to do any kind of performance driving I would probably replace the stock pads anyway.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Looks like Subaru Canada stopped being weird.

For MY2009 they offered the WRX224 and WRX265 models, where the 224 was the "old" 2008 design.

They did this in the States too, selling the Impreza GT, except in the States the Impreza GT only came in automatic while our 224 came in five-speed as well.

It looks like they've resolved this now: as of MY2010 all WRXes are WRX265s, and we also have a "WRX Premium" package, which for $3k buys you satellite radio, iPod integration, foglamps, 17" wheels, more speakers, leather seats and a moonroof.

We're still being weird with the NA Imprezas. We now have three kinds of 2.5is: normal, Sport (cloth Impreza seats with fogs, moonroof, 16" alloy wheels, seat heater, satellite radio, and body kit) and Limited (cloth WRX seats, 17" wheels). The Sport and Limited are roughly equivalent to the US Outback Sport but without the two-tone plastic trim.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 29, 2009

kaws!
May 25, 2008
Put some random crap into my Legacy I got from Japan. Its special, cause in Australia we only got them as Libertys and this one was a jap import.

Ugliest Y5,000 steering wheel I could find in the whole of Japan.

Some SABLET Harness I got for Y4,000.

In the next few weeks I will be sticking on the VF24 I picked up, along with the FMIC, 18x8 Work XT7s in bronze and a Cusco 2 way rear diff :D

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The first time I sat in a Legacy as a kid, I thought it was the coolest thing that the dash actually shows which door is open.

kaws! posted:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

c355n4 posted:

I think I broke my car :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7bga5Ku8c

I just got back from a NASA/PDA Event at Pocono. 3/4 of the way thru the event, the engine developed a weird clack clack clack sound from the engine bay. There is no discernible loss in power or engine lights. The car is not in limp mode. I changed the oil when I got home as I normally do after an event. Hoping that this would make the noise go away. It did seem to be about 1.5qts low. No metal shards or anything out of the ordinary in the old oil. Smelled fine.

The sound manifests itself as you go up in RPM. There is no sound at idle and it gets worse as you get closer to 3k RPM. I'll be bringing it in of course; but, this sucks.

Well, we found out what happened. Crank bearing 1 and 2 are shot and it looks like 3 overheated. Doesn't seem like anything else got damaged. Next step is to decide what to do in order to fix this. My gut reaction is to rebuild the engine with upgrades that keep within the rules for EMRA. Cost effective? No.

The shop is going to price me out a few options. And I'll make the call.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
If you live in the San Francisco bay area and are free Saturday Aug. 9th you might consider attending the Bay Area Meet. This was the meet formerly held at Mount Hamilton, it's been moved to Novato for a number of reasons and is organized by the same people. I'm helping organize this year so I thought I'd promote it a little.

Paul from DBTuned in Sacramento is offering a built EJ25 engine (labor for install not included) for a raffle prize this year as well as a shitton of other prizes.

http://i-clubbaymeet.com

Edit; I forgot to mention, all proceeds from the event will go to the Tri-City Animal Shelter, and Furry Friends Animal rescue. We're also taking donations of used blankets and towels for the shelter.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

8ender posted:

Don't let those pictures fool you. The 2010 Legacy is just puffed up because its angry. They do that.

bloated more like, looks like it's wearing the skin of a bigger car... not a fan but I guess maybe they felt the need to make a larger delineation between the Legacy and Impreza.