Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
How do I make the images I upload from Flickr link directly back to the image on my Flickr page?

EDIT: NVM I figured it out. url=URL OF PAGE TO LINK TO][img]STATIC URL OF IMAGE[/img][/url

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I want to try making some sort of collage, transferring prints to canvas, but I've never done it before. Does anyone have any tips? I do most my creative work on the computer, so I'm pretty clueless about this stuff. I'm looking to branch out more, and this seems fun.

It looks like I'd have to do some kind of gel transfer, like this: http://www.calsk8.com/zeitgeist/stepbystep.htm

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
depending on what your source is and what kind of printing you are doing, you could also use heavy solvents (acetone, xylene)... wear gloves and a respirator.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

vonnegutt posted:

Also, if you haven't, get into mixed media. Take a drawing you don't like, and paste a different color of paper over the part that sucks, then redraw that part with a different tool. If you approach drawing as an all-or-nothing one time thing, of course you'll be anxious. Tell yourself that there's always a way to change it, and you're likely to have less anxiety.

There was a photorealist artist exhibit at the MFA Boston, I don't know if it's still there, that had a piece of process work hung up for display. Instead of being one large complete drawing, it was a bunch of different drawings drawn on tracing paper that he just pasted or taped on top of the under drawing. So yeah, don't be afraid to redraw, white out, or paste over your drawings. Hell, even Edward Gorey used white out. The worst thing you can do is not draw in the first place.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
I need to make a few odd sized mats for photos. I was thinking of buying a $60 mat starter kit from Pearl Art, that comes with a palm tool for "freestyle cutting". Is there any reason not to buy this- ie, this is a waste of money and you should just cough up for the higher grade one? I don't mat too much stuff, so this is light use.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Beat. posted:

depending on what your source is and what kind of printing you are doing, you could also use heavy solvents (acetone, xylene)... wear gloves and a respirator.

What are those solvent markers that have xylene or whatever in them? They used to be a hoarded commodity in my printmaking classes for doing transfers. I think they are banned, but you can still special order them from somewhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
They're made by Copic.

If you can get your hands on hancolyte, it's amazing for transfers. Also deadly.

You can get clove oil at any health food store and it will transfer laser printed images. With enough burnishing, it looks good.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Prismacolor makes them too, "colorless blender," its basically just a marker with xylene in it. You can get them on dickblick, or my local art store carries them (I bought one there). But, I dont buy them any more just because they run out too fast if I'm in the mood to do transfers I'll just do the acetone thing because its so cheap and I have all the safety equipment already.

Atramental Ghost
Jul 9, 2009
wrong thread.

Atramental Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 25, 2009

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle
I looked through the first few pages of the forum and didn't find much of what I was looking for, and this is an incredibly noobish question but I would like to paint and I don't know where the hell to start?

I thought I'd pick up a few of the basics that I need to get started and just roll with it, but I don't even know what I need or what I should be starting with. Are there any good online resources for the absolute beginner? Should I start signing up for some classes or can I do this on my own?

For a long while I've had a lot of images and ideas I've wanted to put on a canvas that I can't put through a guitar. I don't care if anyone ever sees them either, this is for me entirely. As far as skill, I'd rank myself 3 or 4 out of 10 when it comes to drawing, and aside from middle school art I haven't touched a paintbrush. I'm going to keep going through this forum and hopefully find something that'll get me started, but if you guys have any good tips or resources that would be great, thankyou! :)

edit: just found this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3106934 m

maybe all my questions shall be answered

fret logic fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 18, 2009

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

fret logic posted:

I looked through the first few pages of the forum and didn't find much of what I was looking for, and this is an incredibly noobish question but I would like to paint and I don't know where the hell to start?

I thought I'd pick up a few of the basics that I need to get started and just roll with it, but I don't even know what I need or what I should be starting with. Are there any good online resources for the absolute beginner? Should I start signing up for some classes or can I do this on my own?

For a long while I've had a lot of images and ideas I've wanted to put on a canvas that I can't put through a guitar. I don't care if anyone ever sees them either, this is for me entirely. As far as skill, I'd rank myself 3 or 4 out of 10 when it comes to drawing, and aside from middle school art I haven't touched a paintbrush. I'm going to keep going through this forum and hopefully find something that'll get me started, but if you guys have any good tips or resources that would be great, thankyou! :)

edit: just found this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3106934 m

maybe all my questions shall be answered
Feel free to PM me if you have questions. But my number one answer will usually be: Practice your drawing.

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

zap actionsdower! posted:

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. But my number one answer will usually be: Practice your drawing.

So then is it alright to bust out a notebook and hammer away or should I get lessons or do research to avoid bad habits? Does that really matter?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

fret logic posted:

So then is it alright to bust out a notebook and hammer away or should I get lessons or do research to avoid bad habits? Does that really matter?

Most people have enough visual literacy to know when a drawing looks "off" or "bad". The trick is to learn how to pinpoint exactly why a drawing looks "off", and then have the discipline to rework it into something that works.

When you begin drawing you'll come to figure out what works for a while just based on trial and error. Drawing isn't something like say, car repair, where you need to have a basic understanding to work off of. The more you draw, the more you'll understand about what you personally like and dislike, and you can develop an original look this way.

However, if you want to learn how to draw realistically, a book on drawing might speed you along, letting you bypass a lot of the more common beginner problems. I wouldn't recommend buying one immediately since they're all very different (really concrete "this is how to draw" vs. "be creative! express your soul!" being the two main types), but I would recommend going to your library, picking up a couple, and leafing through them until you find out what approach you like.

Drawing for Children by Mona Brooks is a good one, despite the corny title (It should be called Drawing for Beginners).

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is also pretty popular.

One caveat: Avoid formulaic books such as "How to draw Manga!" or whatever. They're pretty much worthless unless your goal is to be able to copy someone else's drawings.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

fret logic posted:

If you are looking for a book to help you learn some of the ones here might be helpful:

http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

Try working through either the sucessful drawing or figure drawing one.

Once you got some porportion/value/anatomy knowledge and what to move on to color this website has alot of general tips about how light works.

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

This website is more focsued on how enviorments are lighted (and effect things in them) rather than rendering textures.

http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm

I think they are both in the resource thread too.

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 19, 2009

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Tuition will help. There isn't any substitute. If you can find an art class in your area, especially life drawing, go for it.

Whatever, then just make sure you keep drawing. Develop proportion and weight and texture, understand how light works. Keep drawing, and when you find yourself stuck, look at how someone else has done it, and alter how you draw from there.

Draw from life, or photographs. Keep drawing. Use pencils, and if you can get a big pad of cheap paper, use charcoal as well. Keep a sketchbook, draw when you're out. Go for a coffee, go for a beer, draw some pictures.

Then maybe start using colour, once you're happy with tone and shade and weight and proportion. Sketch with conté, with pastels, with pencils. You'll start to understand how the different mediums and what you're drawing on affect the end result. Keep sketching in pencil though.

Maybe start painting then. Though it's not going to hurt trying paint from the very start: understanding how each medium can best give the effects you want is not going to retard development. Though after drawing it's very likely that the effects you want will change but anyway

One thing that's always done as an initial exercise (for good reason) in school, college, uni, whatever, is to go to a public place, and start drawing people without looking at the paper. The first few pages always look poo poo, but you have to work very quickly, and after that first few pages, you'll start to capture movement and pose etc etc. Do this, and do it over and over again, it's really easy, it'll start to build the hand-eye coordination and teach the muscle movements that you need to produce good marks on paper, and you can fill books with it and see immediate improvement

NB all of this is very, very cheap as well, if you want to avoid paying for art classes. It'll take a while, but you're going to be able to see a steady improvement in your work that should spur you on. If you've got a sketchbook and a pencil on you, you can work for a little while here and there. It's not a chore, it's something that's very easy to get into.

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 19, 2009

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I would also recommend making a Drawing folder on your computer and saving drawings you find online. I have a huge folder of these, and it motivates and inspires me to see the sheer variety of options available.

One of my art teachers has us make what he calls "poop sheets" which is simply a large photoshop document where you copy and paste snippets of drawings, photos, or other reference into one big sheet to make a sort of digital collage of reference images. When I work in photoshop it's nice to have only two windows open, my work and my poop sheet, but still be able to see all the references and inspirational images while I'm working.

So for example you want to draw a motorcycle, so you search online for photos of motorcycles, plus some sweet paintings of metallic things, plus maybe one of your favorite paintings that has good colors, and you just paste them into a single document so you have all your info right at hand.

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle
Thanks for the advice guys, I take it I'll just start drawing like a maniac when the mood gets me, work through a few books, and begin painting when I become comfortable with drawing. I've started various hobbies and projects in my life and they've all been pretty easy to get started in but after reading about painting for a while it's incredibly overwhelming, so drawing sounds like it'll be a good start for me :)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Shot in the dark here but I figured this was the best place to try.

I started volunteering at a production company that's working with RED cameras and they're looking for stock footage of the NYC subway that's compatible with it. I'm currently trolling through google and such to try and find some leads as to where I can inquire about obtaining such footage but I've been wholly unsuccessful.

Does anyone possibly know any place where I might be able to find stock footage or just somewhere I will have better luck asking. I've asked around at the camera's user message board, too but I figured I'd ask here as well just to better my chances.

Krystek
Apr 1, 2003

Paratrooper
Perfect thread! Was wondering where to ask this :)

I'm making a table for my living room, and plan on separating the top of it in to a few different "rooms". The idea is to fill each room with sand and different articles from various places I've been around the world, and then cover it with a glass plate on top. It's kinda hard to explain, but hopefully you get the idea.
Now, the thing is I really didn't plan this very much, and although I have a fair collection of sand, I don't have sand from every single place I've been.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I figured it's worth a try; are there any kind Hawaii-goons out there willing to help me out? It doesn't have to be a lot, just fill a small soda-bottle or something. I'll paypal you the cost of sending it (or perhaps send you a surprise package in return from Norway :))
I spent 6 months studying over there, and would really like to have it as a part of the table. It doesn't matter where the sand is from, as long as it's Oahu or Maui, where I've actually been :)

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

question about painting - what would you use to attach canvas to a board of MDF?

some kind of simple glue like craft glue (sobo) or wood glue?

or would I use something more sophisticated? any reason stapling would be a bad idea?

Beat. fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 20, 2009

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle
Ok based on your all's advice I hit up Michael's and bought some things to get me started. I didn't buy anything painting related because I can't draw for poo poo and I take it if I can't draw I shouldn't be painting yet, so here's what I got:

Good start, or am I missing anything important? Also, Half Price Books and Music kicks rear end

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

fret logic posted:

That looks like a pretty decent bunch of things to start with, now get drawing! Lessons and books will help but the most important thing is to actually DRAW so stop posting and start drawing, bub!

One thing I might add about your setup, if you're just starting don't be afraid to pick up new drawing implements or paper on a hunch. Most stuff is relatively cheap, so you can afford to experiment. Even try drawing with non-professional tools as well, my sister is a fantastic artist, and her favorite pencil to draw with are the cheap Bic .7 mechanical pencils, the ones that cost 25 cents apiece. If your tools aren't behaving the way you want them to, post another question and someone can help point you to a pencil or lead or whatever that will do what you want.

have fun, and next time you post, make it a post of your drawing in the Daily Drawing thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163243)

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

gmc9987 posted:

next time you post, make it a post of your drawing in the Daily Drawing thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163243)

ignoring this advice because im horrific at drawing as of now, but i am enjoying looking at other people's works in those threads

in all honesty i was hoping to jump right into painting, i have a lot of ideas i would like to see on a canvas, and i dread drawing because while having done it a lot in notebooks in highschool, it was the same ugly poo poo over and over again and that's just depressing

im going to start working through these books and hopefully that will change, can't wait to draw something im proud of :) also, thanks for the support!

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

gmc9987 posted:

have fun, and next time you post, make it a post of your drawing in the Daily Drawing thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163243)

ok ok i did it, it's

bad

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163243&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post363543015

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
I'm looking for a certain website. I thought I had gotten the link from the one of the stickies at the top of the forum, but can't seem to find the link again. It's a website with high quality images that be used for backgrounds, with catergories like clouds, buildings, bricks, sand, etc. etc. I'm just curious if this rings a bell with anyone.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

troll for dollars posted:

I'm looking for a certain website. I thought I had gotten the link from the one of the stickies at the top of the forum, but can't seem to find the link again. It's a website with high quality images that be used for backgrounds, with catergories like clouds, buildings, bricks, sand, etc. etc. I'm just curious if this rings a bell with anyone.

Zen Textures?

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Dude, don't worry so much :). That hand was muy beuno for a beginner. As an art teacher, one of the things I'm always telling my teens is to compare yourself to YOU not to others. It is corny, but just focus on making gradual improvements.

Plus, I am really glad that you are trying to learn to draw for real and not just jumping into painting.

EDIT - Oh, I forgot some advice. You should definitely stick to the stuff in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, but sometimes I have my students copy drawing simple cartoon characters, because it is another way to practice matching proportions without having to worry about texture and shading yet. If you take your time, you will likely be pretty successful, and then feel a bit less stressed. I usually give the kids pictures of Pokemon, because they aren't too complex. However, please don't take this to mean just draw cartoon characters, because then you will never learn to render! It is just a way to mix it up.

Six AM fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 24, 2009

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How do I get semi-transparent tables and stetch to fit backgrounds?

Something like the main table on http://www.darrenhoyt.com/about/

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

:shobon: I feel really dumb for asking this, but...

How to go about making prints of my artwork? I've never made a print of something before, but it can't be as simple as scanning it in and printing it out, can it?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

what kind of art work do you make?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I'd be making prints of my black and white stipple and ink work that are on 9x12 and 18x24 paper.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I just bought some of the new (well to the UK, anyway) liquitex ink! stuff. Does anyone know how well it sticks to metal?

I have some car/metal primer but I'm worried it'll show through since it won't be the same colour as the ink I'll be using. I'm going to try with a base of some clear gloss spraypaint, which worked okay last time I tried acrylic on metal, but I don't want to waste this stuff because it's expensive.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Side Effects posted:

:shobon: I feel really dumb for asking this, but...

How to go about making prints of my artwork? I've never made a print of something before, but it can't be as simple as scanning it in and printing it out, can it?
Here's how I print my B+W work:

Scan it at 8 bit grayscale at 300 dpi at least. (More is better for B+W, >1200 is excessive, but up to 1200 is good, depending on how fast your computer is)

In Photoshop, use the threshold function to adjust the value of your scan until it looks like your original drawing. Depending on how good your scanner is, this could take a lot of adjusting, or almost none. I would use Threshold rather than Levels because Levels tends to chew up your data a lot more, and Threshold gives you more precision. Furthermore, you should only use Threshold once; if you don't like your first result, undo it and retry with different values instead of just trying to tweak on the fly. Every Photoshop layer adjustment tends to change your data, and you want it as close to your original drawing as possible.

Convert it to a bitmap image, these can be as big as 1200 dpi and still have sort of small file sizes. Since bitmap is binary (only black or white pixels), higher resolution is needed to see all your details, but bitmap is good because it won't grey out your images or make them blurry looking. If you have a high enough DPI, your bitmap will look crisper and blacker than any other type of file.

Printing: Check with your local Kinkos or local printers for pricing and so forth, and have them print on acid free archival paper. With black and white a laser printer can produce a nice print, but really, it's more about what paper you print on than anything. Look at their samples, and find something you like that's thick enough to withstand mounting.

The Psyentist
Apr 7, 2008
Okay, I've run into a little trouble with my DSLR camera.

I know the basics of shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc., but I'm not overly good with working with them all at once.

I would really like to be able to get some super fast paced action shots of things, figuring that I'd need a super quick shutter speed, aperture as low as it can go and the ISO around ~400.

That said, I can't have the shutter speed any quicker than 1/15 without everything being incredibly dark. Using the flash I can have it at 1/250 - but that hardly counts.

How do people make use of the 1/8000 range? :(

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can anyone recommend me a computer drawing program like Microsoft Paint where it'll automatically smooth out the lines like in Flash and Photoshop so your drawing doesn't look lovely? Also it'd be nice if it were free. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just a little better than Paint.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Side Effects posted:

I'd be making prints of my black and white stipple and ink work that are on 9x12 and 18x24 paper.

Are you just looking for like decent copies of it, or are you looking for giclee?

ghostpower
Apr 14, 2008

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Does anyone possibly know any place where I might be able to find stock footage or just somewhere I will have better luck asking. I've asked around at the camera's user message board, too but I figured I'd ask here as well just to better my chances.

http://www.archive.org/details/movies
http://www.archive.org/details/prelinger

I'm not really a film guy, but I took a few classes a couple years back and this site has stuck with me, because it's awesome (for more than video). I can't remember if these are downloadable in a usable quality for good video production, but there are some gems for sure. I haven't browsed around the standard video archive much, but I've been all over Prelinger. They have some seriously awesome old school films on there that you can download. I hope this is a helpful resource for you.

My question is coincidentially video-related as well. I have some footage on a fairly old Digital 8 camera (it's one of those Sony Handycams I think). I'm trying to get it digitally, but the only outputs are USB and S-Video (I think the camera came out before Firewire - yikes). Also, the USB output only gives me access to the files on the memory stick, not the tape. One option is using a DVD recorder, but I don't know anyone who owns one, and I'm concerned with what sort of compression I'd have to deal with. I remember hearing or reading about another option, involving some sort of digital converter that can save it in a really good quality and the format of my choice, but I can't remember what the device is called, or where I would find one. I can't seem to put the right words together to search for it on google either. Any ideas?

Edit: I found a link for doing it in Windows, but I'm running on a Macbook, and I can't find any info for that.

ghostpower fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 27, 2009

what the
Sep 10, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
Is there any thread that has info on sites that do prints?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Speaking of prints..I'm looking for a site that printed custom posters that were full bleed and cheap I think... the back of the poster would have that companys logo... I forgot the site :( Was mentioned in the general photography thread Im guessing, I just looked through the newbie one entirely and nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm looking to attempt something like this:

I like the style, and I have some different ideas of where I could take it. It looks like it's a collage on canvas, and then the image of the girl was surprinted over it somehow. I'm not very savvy about different art techniques, so maybe it's really obvious. Any help would be appreciated.