Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

I can confirm this, I saw it at two different Wal-Marts in Arizona today.

Hello fellow AZ figure hunter!

I got a complete set of Nemesis figures today in the Chandler/Gilbert area. I was prepared to drive around the entire 202 loop but I didn't need to. Found them at the 2nd stop.

My initial impressions are that this wave is rather mediocre. Daredevil is fairly awesome and Tigra isn't too bad either. Beast and Blackbolt are definitely the worst. Beast just sucks all around in terms of paint and articulation. Nova and Punisher are just so-so. Not sure what the definitive Nova should look like, but he seemed rather half assed. And Punish looked great except for his plastic skin and lack of wrist articulation. The cammo pants on the variant are rather well done. And as a rabid X-Men fan, while I could care less about Nemesis, he is quite impressive looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Any of you guys in AZ want to buy me a set? I'd gladly pay a little extra for your troubles, or throw in something you might be looking for if I find it.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

Hello fellow AZ figure hunter!

I got a complete set of Nemesis figures today in the Chandler/Gilbert area. I was prepared to drive around the entire 202 loop but I didn't need to. Found them at the 2nd stop.

My initial impressions are that this wave is rather mediocre. Daredevil is fairly awesome and Tigra isn't too bad either. Beast and Blackbolt are definitely the worst. Beast just sucks all around in terms of paint and articulation. Nova and Punisher are just so-so. Not sure what the definitive Nova should look like, but he seemed rather half assed. And Punish looked great except for his plastic skin and lack of wrist articulation. The cammo pants on the variant are rather well done. And as a rabid X-Men fan, while I could care less about Nemesis, he is quite impressive looking.

The sad thing about this wave is I just want Nemesis, gently caress all the other figures, I just think hes a badass.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Satsuki posted:

Any of you guys in AZ want to buy me a set? I'd gladly pay a little extra for your troubles, or throw in something you might be looking for if I find it.
I don't think I saw a complete set, even between both Wal-Marts. :(

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

And gently caress Hasbro again for their shitastic presenation today. They really hate ML and are determined to remain willfully ignorant of what fans want. If they would produce some NEW and DEMANDED characters for the line insted of rehashes and obscure ones, then the line may actually sell much better.

Xenomrph posted:

I don't think I saw a complete set, even between both Wal-Marts. :(

drat. They must have gotten picked over fast. I hit a few Walmarts around noon today and found maybe 3 or 4 complete sets. All and all at least they should start showing up on ebay in vast quantities which will then bring those prices crashing down to a more reasonable level (well, reasonable for ebay standards).

The Rage posted:

The sad thing about this wave is I just want Nemesis, gently caress all the other figures, I just think hes a badass.

You can probably scrounge ebay for loose parts end up getting him for cheaper than 6 figs at retail price. There are bound to be lots of extra arms or legs or whatever pieces come with DD and Punisher because of the variants. I have an extra cannon arm (left?) that I don't need now.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I'm in New Mexico, so maybe they're here as well. I'll check tomorrow. I'm only interested in Beast and maybe Daredevil, and Nemesis. If I get the complete set, I'll sell the rest if anyone wants them.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Cocks Cable posted:

Beast and Blackbolt are definitely the worst.

Oh good, the only 2 I was interested in. drat.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'll definitely take a Nemesis/Holocaust if nobody has interest in him.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Louisgod posted:

I'll definitely take a Nemesis/Holocaust if nobody has interest in him.

Yeah same, I'd be happy to buy left over parts from anyone.

Also found the Clayface/Batman 2 pack. Clayface is amazing looking and huge for the 21.99 price point.

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...
Oi, the Hal Jordan SDCC exclusive figures are going for $60-$80 on Ebay. I'm curious to see what they're going to be Wizard World Chicago...these little bastards were the one thing I was going to throw done some money for in Chicago this year but it's looking like they're going to be out of my price range. Bummer. Oh well, more to spend on DCUC or just spring for the Battlestar Gallactica complete series on Blu Ray.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Finally found them today and have already started repainting them. The sculpts are decent, but the original paintjobs were pretty bad. Beast and Daredevil were only 3 different colors!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

Finally found them today and have already started repainting them. The sculpts are decent, but the original paintjobs were pretty bad. Beast and Daredevil were only 3 different colors!

Those look pretty good. I need to at least get that Daredevil and hopefully Beast Nova and Punisher. Ahhh hell I want them all.

You should take some acetone on the Nemisis to make it clear. I have seen it done a bunch already and it makes it look a million times better.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Fish Of Doom posted:

Very nice! Beast looks much better. I like the sculpt, but as you pointed out it was lacking something, and I think you hit the nail on the head.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Djarum posted:

You should take some acetone on the Nemisis to make it clear. I have seen it done a bunch already and it makes it look a million times better.

Are there pics anywhere? Because I was kinda excited for Nemesis but that opaque finish looks terrible.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

I actually covered most of it in a thin coat of shiny gold paint with a red and orange wash, as well as repainting his entire torso/cockpit, so I'm not sure how much acetate would help my paint. I'm not totally into it being clear either.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

LightsGameraAction posted:

Are there pics anywhere? Because I was kinda excited for Nemesis but that opaque finish looks terrible.

I hate linking to this guy because he is a huge douche but these are the only easily linked pictures.

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsaotome/JinsDangerousToys/HoloClear.html

Fish Of Doom posted:

I actually covered most of it in a thin coat of shiny gold paint with a red and orange wash, as well as repainting his entire torso/cockpit, so I'm not sure how much acetate would help my paint. I'm not totally into it being clear either.

It doesn't look bad at all. I am just a fan of clear figures in general and taking the paint off and then putting some clear red on it makes it look like the 90s figure which I still love. Although paint the eyes silver, they will reflect in the helmet like they are glowing.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Djarum posted:

I hate linking to this guy because he is a huge douche but these are the only easily linked pictures.

Curious in what way he is a douche? I've heard of him before but up until this point haven't heard bad things.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He does good work but iirc he's either antisemetic or a crazy ron paul type of guy

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jet Ready Go posted:

Curious in what way he is a douche? I've heard of him before but up until this point haven't heard bad things.

He rips other people's work off, he tries to scam other people, he commits outright EBay fraud, he is very, very rude to other custom makers and puts down their work while proclaiming his own to be the best. That is just a small amount of things. He is banned from pretty much every Action Figure forum for his actions.

He is basically the only bad seed in the entire custom figure community. Most people think he is ok because they have never had to deal with him, but once you do you spread the word like you meet Jesus H. Christ himself and he gave you a Hustler, a bottle of Jack Daniels and a bottle of Quaaludes.

It is not so much that he does bad work, I'll be fair and say it is average. It's the other things he has done/does that makes taints the work. If your interested that much a search around the Fwoosh's board will give you a "Greatest Hits". It's honestly funny reading just because how stupid he is. I wouldn't imagine he would last a day on here before the banhammer hit him hard.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Curiouser.. is he actually Japanese or is his moniker just some lame animu dude I never heard of?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jin Saotome is a character from some obscure Capcom game, made semi-famous from being in Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.

e: this guy

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 29, 2009

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jet Ready Go posted:

Curiouser.. is he actually Japanese or is his moniker just some lame animu dude I never heard of?

Like Travis343 said it is from Jin of Cyberbots, Tech Romancer and Marvel Vs. Capcom fame. From what I understand he is a fat nerd whom lives with his mom in Florida.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Djarum posted:

Jin Saotome is apparently a a jerkface loserhead...

Wow I never knew that haha. When I was first starting I sent him an e-mail for a certain tip and never got a response, I just figured he was busy.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Djarum posted:

Tech Romancer

This game. Hooooooooooooly poo poo I had forgotten about it. I loved the poo poo out of this game.

Anyway the clear nemesis looks a hell of a lot better.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Donde Esta posted:

Wow I never knew that haha. When I was first starting I sent him an e-mail for a certain tip and never got a response, I just figured he was busy.

If you are looking for friendly guys that do fantastic work www.kylerobinsoncustoms.com, NORM and raydaimon on the Fwoosh.

raydaimon maybe the best figure painter on earth.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Kyle is a cool guy but he should spend some money he makes for customs on a spell checker.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

I remember how much I thought that figure sucked when I saw it, but the sculpt is actually pretty good, it just had a crap paint job. That's a great Jackman likeness.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Djarum posted:

If you are looking for friendly guys that do fantastic work www.kylerobinsoncustoms.com, NORM and raydaimon on the Fwoosh.

raydaimon maybe the best figure painter on earth.

http://www.kylerobinsoncustoms.com/links/ef.htm

ehhhhh

I don't think he is, if we're judging by his worst work.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

I remember how much I thought that figure sucked when I saw it, but the sculpt is actually pretty good, it just had a crap paint job. That's a great Jackman likeness.

I thought the same thing. ray is amazing with paint. I wish I had 1/10th the amount of talent he has with that.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

I tried registering for Kyle's forums but never got a response. Haven't sent any e-mails though and don't know what mod to e-mail.

I will have to do some looking around Fwoosh, I usually stick with with Figure Realm.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Djarum posted:

WELL. Holy poo poo. That is Hot Toys level paint job right there. Amazing especially for the small scale. I love how Wolverine went from "Hasbro Constipated" to "Fierce Truck Fighting Badass" with a few flicks of the brush.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
That paint job makes me sad, so much wasted potential.

Anyway, I finally decided to unload my collection. Lots of Marvel Legends and a few FAN FAVORITES(!?!).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2947000&pagenumber=27&perpage=40#post363904968

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I repainted Punisher as well. He went from being the plainest figure in the line to one of the best. His head sculpt is pretty good. It's too bad Hasbro is horrible at painting things, because whoever does their sculpts is really good.

I still wish his beceps swivels instead of his elbows.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

I repainted Punisher as well. He went from being the plainest figure in the line to one of the best. His head sculpt is pretty good. It's too bad Hasbro is horrible at painting things, because whoever does their sculpts is really good.

I still wish his beceps swivels instead of his elbows.

You just do black wash on his face? He kinda just looks dirty, it is really bad around the wrists. That Punisher desperately needs a Widows Peak in the hairline.

Here is a mini guide to show you how to paint head/flesh. Try it out and see how it looks. I think that Punisher head could be saved.

http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=56856&start=105#p1636743

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

You just do black wash on his face? He kinda just looks dirty, it is really bad around the wrists. That Punisher desperately needs a Widows Peak in the hairline.

Here is a mini guide to show you how to paint head/flesh. Try it out and see how it looks. I think that Punisher head could be saved.

http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=56856&start=105#p1636743

The wrist is not actually black, that's a huge crack from me trying to get him to hold the gun with both hands. Hasbro articulation for the most part sucks.

But I see the face tutorial. It's the same as doing makeup. Start with a dark red base undertone and add the tan over the top. I'll try it out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

The wrist is not actually black, that's a huge crack from me trying to get him to hold the gun with both hands. Hasbro articulation for the most part sucks.

But I see the face tutorial. It's the same as doing makeup. Start with a dark red base undertone and add the tan over the top. I'll try it out.

Pretty much. He says he learned how to do it from watching his girlfriend put on makeup. There is a guide on how to do the eyes on one of the earlier pages. As someone that has done a ton of eyes over the years his way of doing it is A: the easiest and B: looks the best.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Jesus that Tigra was going to be a no-buy for me due to it looking like rear end. I am now proved wrong.

http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31950&start=420#p1645877

Djarum fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 30, 2009

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hasbro honestly does have great sculpts but their paint jobs are atrocious. A shame, really, when you see what others are doing with the sculpts.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Loops check your freakin email

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Louisgod posted:

Hasbro honestly does have great sculpts but their paint jobs are atrocious. A shame, really, when you see what others are doing with the sculpts.

It really does blow me away how shoddy Hasbro has treated the Marvel license. It's like Hasbro bought the license because they liked the idea of making Marvel figures without any real plan or idea on how to sell them. Someone pointed out a good point to me the other day. Stores are charging 10 bucks for a Marvel Universe figure because they have no confidence in the product and want to make some money to even out the inevitable closeout on the product. No one is exited about the product anymore. I mean even in the 80s they used more than 3 colors of paint on a figure.

It is almost like Hasbro is actively trying to sabotage it's own efforts in making figures, in both the MU and ML lines. I think that is where all the Hasbro hate stems from, Toy Biz and hell even Mattel now has shown/shows that the product can be well done at a attractive price point. If I was a shareholder I would be absolutely furious because Hasbro spent 240 million dollars or something on the license and is just leaving money at the table here. The Marvel toy license should be the number one toy brand out there. From the movies and television shows to the comic based lines they should have a large amount of fantastic product out there. Hell, a few years ago most toy isles were pretty much nothing but Marvel product. Now, you are lucky to see a couple of things on a peg. I was at Target earlier today, the only Marvel stuff out was a single peg of some Wolverine movie toys. The rest of the isle was Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, DC, and a couple of anime based brands that I have no idea what they were.

240 MILLION dollars for a single peg in the toy isle. That isn't just depressing that is pathetic.