Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
Daniel = televiper

Had a great time, we'll have to get the gang together again soon (holy crap i'm in a gang.).

My gang name will be Page 17 Snypa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I knew there was "viper" in it somewhere!

Yeah, I had fun too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I packed its bags. Now to get some sleep. In 10 hours I hit the ferry bound for Europe! See ya!

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Ola posted:

I packed its bags. Now to get some sleep. In 10 hours I hit the ferry bound for Europe! See ya!

I am anxiously awaiting your report. Ride safe!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

^^^Same here, have fun.

Locktited the handguard and fairing bolts on the KLR, don't need the thumper vibrating them out. Lubed the clutch cable and am going to do the throttle cables hopefully tomorrow when I put in a 1/4 x 20 nylon thumbscrew in the throttle case for a makeshift cruise control. There's already a hole in it, all I need to do is tap it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I finally gave in and put the hard bags on the VFR.

Obviously it isn't as good looking as without, but drat if it doesn't make it more useful. Nothing beats going somewhere and throwing my helmet/gloves in one and my jacket in the other and walking around like a normal person! I think I can pull off minor food shopping too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I swear, bags are the best mod.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Took the front tire off for replacement.

Built a stand just like this one for the front
http://www.mad-ducati.com/Technical/FrontStand/HMFS.html

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

I finally gave in and put the hard bags on the VFR.

Obviously it isn't as good looking as without, but drat if it doesn't make it more useful. Nothing beats going somewhere and throwing my helmet/gloves in one and my jacket in the other and walking around like a normal person! I think I can pull off minor food shopping too.

I'm surprised you still use the tank bag when you have those.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally figured out the electrical problems today. I coulda swore all the fuses were fine, but I checked the turn signal and brake light one again, and it was snapped, of course. Replaced that and everything lit up but the turn signals. Opened up the turn switch, and saw the negative wire had broken off. Re-soldered it and everything works perfect now! Just gotta get some new insurance now.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Packed the KLR up for a trip to SE Ohio, a lot of good roads down there.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Switched out a battery that became unchargeable after the third round of the headlight marathon game. Of course, then I had to change the oil. Then I had to clean my oil screen. This caused me to destroy the right side crankcase gasket, so I took a crash course in making your own with fiber sheet and a ball pein hammer, a very useful skill when you don't want to (a)pay 20x the cost of the material for a prefab, and (b)wait for it to post.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
My helmet, jacket, and boots came in today so now I am all set to pick up my shiny new '09 Ninja 250 on Saturday. :neckbeard:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Checked the tyre pressures on the Gix for the first time in a couple of weeks. 28/22psi. Whoops. The Babyblade got new tyres and a front suspension rebuild.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
^^ Did the same thing. Realized that my bike has felt like a freighter for the last few days, because I was sitting at 30/30, when it should be 36/42. :eng99:

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
Sigh, put the calipers back on last night, attached the new lines, bleed, pump, bleed, pump, reverse bleed, dump air, pump, pump, bleed bleed...

Bugger it, took it to the shop this morning. I get oil flowing through when I bleed the lines, but zero pressure and zero movement of the pads. The pros can get it going, I'd rather not have dodgy front brakes, thank you very much.

On the upside, it does look pretty sweet.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I'm surprised you still use the tank bag when you have those.

The tank bag is good for bringing stuff with me, since it's also a backpack. I leave bike stuff in the hard bags and bring work stuff with me in the tank bag. Say what you will about Icon gear, their bags (and Ti-max gloves) are pretty cool.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Rolled over 12k on the clock. :c00l:

~2100 miles in about 4 months, I need to pick up the pace!

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Got my bike inspected today, while I was there they were repairing a Ninja 250 that some dude somehow wheelied and flipped over backwards. The owner came and talked to me about it, probalby to put the fear into me (it was the same exact bike, color and decals as mine). Was pretty interesting to see a 250 that had been down like that.. haha.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

shaitan posted:

Got my bike inspected today, while I was there they were repairing a Ninja 250 that some dude somehow wheelied and flipped over backwards. The owner came and talked to me about it, probalby to put the fear into me (it was the same exact bike, color and decals as mine). Was pretty interesting to see a 250 that had been down like that.. haha.

That's pretty impressive actually.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

shaitan posted:

The first time I rode my bike I thought it would wheely but now, not so much. It's hard to think of them being able to give that kind of response. But then again, my sweet little 250 wouldn't treat me like that. No, she wouldn't, she's an angel. :angel: (also kind of a dirty slut, she loves it when I give it to her good and hard)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
250 for lyfe

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I'm sure if you dumped the clutch in first at ~12k rpm, you might loop it.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Simkin posted:

I'm sure if you dumped the clutch in first at ~12k rpm, you might loop it.

Which was exactly what he said he did, got it up to about 13k and let the clutch go, not sure if he was moving or not.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

shaitan posted:

Which was exactly what he said he did, got it up to about 13k and let the clutch go, not sure if he was moving or not.

I popped the clutch at about 7k while rolling on my 250 after jamming it down into first while freaking out about starting in second. It wheelied about 3 inches, and let me tell you, I never thought you could suck so much foam up your rear end with a 3 inch wheelie. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I had a 3 or 4 inch wheelie on mine leaving work one day, as I neglected to even pull the clutch in before shifting into 1st from neutral. Choke was still on, and it was "idling" around 7k as a result. Popped the front up, and immediately stalled the bike, thank god. I was pointed right at the bigass Isuzu across the tiny lot.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I rode mine to work. That makes 2 solid weeks of not using my car (I took the bus one rainy day so I didn't feel defeated)

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I got a nice 4-5 inch power wheelie every now and then out of the 500 if I really really launched it from a stop. But to wheelie that thing at all, when I tried a few times, you really really had to dump the clutch.

That said, what posses someone to drop the clutch at 12k rpm?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Trintintin posted:

I got a nice 4-5 inch power wheelie every now and then out of the 500 if I really really launched it from a stop. But to wheelie that thing at all, when I tried a few times, you really really had to dump the clutch.

That said, what posses someone to drop the clutch at 12k rpm?

Fear. They're freaked out because they don't know what's going on, they've pull the clutch in but the engine is pounding away, and they just let go. That's how my friend wheelied the CB200.

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

They say...hunger is the best spice!
Finally figured out why my bike didn't start in anything but neutral yesterday. I tipped my FZ6 over while trying to park it on uneven ground, but thank god i have frame sliders on it so no major damage was done. After going over the bike with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything was good I discovered a small wire with a plug that was supposed to be plugged into my clutch sensor. Without it, it doesn't know if the clutch is pulled in when you try and start it so it only allowed you to start it in neutral. As far as the damage to the bike though after it was tipped, it just has some scratches on the right mirror, the frame slider got dinged up, i have a small dent in my tank, and the back brake lever is slightly bent at the end.

M4gic fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 24, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Good to hear that it wasn't too messed up by the fall, and that you finally found out why it was weird about starting.

Contemplated cleaning the bike, and then remembered that silver bikes neeeever need cleaning, so I just chucked some more oil at the chain and rode it.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Dropped the bike after reserving a camping spot at a state park in SE Ohio, didn't want to unload the bags twice in a half an hour, so I got the friendly local park ranger to help pick it up.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Went to check the oil on the Husky and promptly pulled the threads out of the engine cover. Goddamn this thing is soft metal. Drilled and tapped a new screw and it seems to be holding up. Also...chopped the tail!

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Today I put new bars on my 82 GS550l, and realized that yes, the old one had weight to dampen vibrations. My hands are all rattly now, and I think it will be less comfortable around town, but at highway speeds it's much more comfortable, I think.

(Its also more fun in the twisties, and less fun in parking lots)

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

The tank bag is good for bringing stuff with me, since it's also a backpack. I leave bike stuff in the hard bags and bring work stuff with me in the tank bag. Say what you will about Icon gear, their bags (and Ti-max gloves) are pretty cool.

I have the same bag and it's proven to be very useful. I do, however, wish it was waterproof.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
Well I finished some of my projects on the KLR recently.
Front radiator protector/crash bars are painted and installed.
Rear frame for pelican 1520 cases is now finished:

Click here for the full 1024x766 image.

Acewell speedometer is finally installed and working correctly. I had been having problems with it, but it turns out there was nothing wrong with the acewell unit. When I had installed front brakes early this summer I had not lined up the front engagement ring for the speedometer drive hub on the front wheel and had bent it. I initially thought the stock speedometer had broke because when I took the speedo cable off and spun the front tire the hub seemed to work, however due to the bent piece any resistance on the front hub caused it to not turn. So the stock speedometer had nothing wrong with it. Oh well the acewell is quite a bit nicer.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Got rid of the Mickey Mouse mirrors on my Monster and replaced them with some ebay bar end mirrors.

This weekends projects are the 12,000 mile service. Adjust valves, change cam belts, change oil. Other: Remove wheel tape so they match...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

UserNotFound posted:

Today I put new bars on my 82 GS550l, and realized that yes, the old one had weight to dampen vibrations. My hands are all rattly now, and I think it will be less comfortable around town, but at highway speeds it's much more comfortable, I think.

(Its also more fun in the twisties, and less fun in parking lots)

What style of bars are those (superbike, Daytona, etc.)?

Your WD-40 appears to be paying homage to its creator.

Sphyx
May 23, 2005
I am made of magic.

Sphyx posted:

After my bike returned from a month stay in the shop with its tail/lights/reflectors replaced (low-speed rearend accidents, cool!), I discovered that all of the lights save the back signals no longer work. After 10 minutes of troubleshooting: the fuse is fine but the brake light was unplugged... which reseating fixed nothing. Unfortunately I know nothing of wiring. Back to the shop again ugh. :(

The bulb contact on the brake light was eroded. A bit of sandpaper and problem solved. Coincidentally, what I did to my ride today was rode it. :3: Oh little Ninja you are the best kind of friend~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Went for a twilight city ride. gently caress is that ever a scary situation. But feeling like I'm smack in the middle of Hang-On is worth it.