Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Buy yourself a spool of safety wire and safety wire your grips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

JebattoRocket posted:

Traded in the Rebel 250 and got a new bike today. The ride is, ah, very different.

Edit: trying to change size of picture, sorry :(

Edit2: I can't seem to change the size of the attachment. . .

Nice KLR, how do you like it? I imagine that even a 650 single is a pretty nice step up from a Rebel 250. I had one of those at my MSF course, and my god was it a dog (also keeping in mind it was an MSF beat-to-hell bike).

Have you taken it offroading at all? I heard the '08+ had some sort of weird handling issue on dirt that the previous gen's didn't.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^That's one I hadn't heard. D'you know what was supposed to have caused it?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Phy posted:

^^That's one I hadn't heard. D'you know what was supposed to have caused it?
I think, if I remember correctly, it had to do with some extra weight (the '08 is ~50lbs heavier) and less travel of the suspension/stiffer suspension (38 to 41mm forks and 220 down to 200mm of travel). It handles better on-road apparently, but I guess the offroad handling was compromised a little.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
This is mine now

:dance:

It so much fun when it opens up... :goatsecx:

used 2008 with 2.8k miles on it. Had teardrop rearview mirrors that I wasn't crazy about so dealer put stock back on and gave me the goofy things to ebay. Turn signals have been replaced by LEDs.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

This is mine now

:dance:

It so much fun when it opens up... :goatsecx:

used 2008 with 2.8k miles on it. Had teardrop rearview mirrors that I wasn't crazy about so dealer put stock back on and gave me the goofy things to ebay. Turn signals have been replaced by LEDs.

Nice,

I was looking at them the other day while at the shop...

At the shop because my parents were rear ended at 30mph by a old man in a Prius.

Ill get pics in a day or two, they kept it up some how but it did go down kissing the crash bars on the pavement and bounced back up... They are ok but real sore, my mom bent the sissy bar with her back.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
yikes. Good to hear they're ok.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

Nice KLR, how do you like it? I imagine that even a 650 single is a pretty nice step up from a Rebel 250. I had one of those at my MSF course, and my god was it a dog (also keeping in mind it was an MSF beat-to-hell bike).

Have you taken it offroading at all? I heard the '08+ had some sort of weird handling issue on dirt that the previous gen's didn't.

Thanks. Well, it is fun to ride. Compared to the Rebel, it seems better in many ways. Lots more power, a seating position I like better, smoother ride. Right now it still feels a bit tougher to corner well on--only had it about a week. I haven't tried it on dirt, but I will get a chance in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know.

The 650 is, ah, rougher in some ways than the Rebel engine, but the torque is nice.

Re: offroad stuff. I read a lot about this bike before buying it, and it seems there are some people critical of the 08's offroad ability because of changes to suspension travel. The trade off seems to have been better road handling. I only have experience on the Rebel, so I don't have much to say about it. Better road manners seemed good to me, so I looked for an 08+.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't really compare it to the first-gen but I thought it was pretty good down gravel/fire roads. Heavy for an offroad bike, though.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah, the KLR is a weird, mid-range bike.. Not light enough to be unstoppable offroad, not powerful enough (well, the '07 and older at least) to be a good long distance tourer like a GS. It's good enough offroad, and it's good enough on-road, but it doesn't really excel at either.

I think, as discussed, the 07 and earlier had a slight offroad advantage, and the 08+ have a slight on-road advantage. Obviously if you're more interested in on-road, then you definitely made the right choice. :)

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
My little '89 250 Bandit, I loves her I do.

Had her 7 weeks done just over 3,000km

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had a 00 V model one when I was on my learners, it was a great bike.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

NoDoorway posted:

My little '89 250 Bandit, I loves her I do.

Had her 7 weeks done just over 3,000km

Oh goody, more non-USDM bikes. I would ride the gently caress out of a 250 Bandit.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
2009 Ninja 250R. The R is for rookie. So much freaking fun.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

frozenphil posted:

Congrats, and holy poo poo SO CLEAN.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

frozenphil posted:

That thing looks like it could do 0-60 in 3 seconds. :D

Edit:Are you gonna put frame sliders on it?

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 27, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

frozenphil posted:

I can't get over how sharp the newer 250s are. The fact that you can pick one up new for 4K is one of the awesome aspects of being a motorcyclist.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks for the compliments, folks.

Jack the Smack posted:

Edit:Are you gonna put frame sliders on it?

I haven't really looked in to them much, but probably. I know that the spools for the ZX10 fit the 250R so maybe there's something similar for frame sliders.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

frozenphil posted:

I haven't really looked in to them much, but probably. I know that the spools for the ZX10 fit the 250R so maybe there's something similar for frame sliders.

This is exactly why you should get them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFmqqO_j9yI&feature=related I do not know anyone who has ridden a motorcycle and hasn't done that.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

frozenphil posted:

Thanks for the compliments, folks.

The swingarm spools for Kawasakis are almost universal. Get frame sliders specific to your bike, and do it ASAP.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

This is exactly why you should get them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFmqqO_j9yI&feature=related I do not know anyone who has ridden a motorcycle and hasn't done that.

:3:

I did something similar after stopping to get gas on my ride home from the dealership. I pulled out of the gas station and started to make a turn when I looked down instead of up and towards the direction I wanted to go, noticed the four huge tire ruts in the asphalt, and then target fixated on a telephone pole as I bounced over the ruts. I ended up laying the bike down against my leg at like 2mph, slightly scuffing my left mirror and clutch lever, but deeply wounding my ego.

Nothing terrible or costly to fix, but it really enforced the lessons of eyes up, look where you want to go, don't target fixate, and speed is your friend in a turn. Those few little scratches make excellent reminders of those lessons.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I replayed that video several times and it gets funnier each time.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jack the Smack posted:

I'd say at least 75% of bikes in the world have at some stage been christened with a stationary drop. I let my Gixxer roll off the sidestand in neutral 2 days after buying it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It really sucks to leave your bike out on a hot day, and find that the sidestand sunk though the asphalt and dumped your bike. Started using a crushed soda can under the stand after that.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slim Pickens posted:

It really sucks to leave your bike out on a hot day, and find that the sidestand sunk though the asphalt and dumped your bike. Started using a crushed soda can under the stand after that.

Where the hell do you live that has asphalt that melts on a sunny day? :cry: Yeech. Maybe I'm not accustomed to really hot weather but that just seems very wrong.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It happens in Seattle.

Our Yellow star burns us

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat

frozenphil posted:

I'd love to ride one just to see if they're as fun as they look. Although the 27hp thing kinda sucks. One of the bonuses of an older 250, my bandit is hiding 45 horses in that wee i4.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mercator posted:

Where the hell do you live that has asphalt that melts on a sunny day? :cry: Yeech. Maybe I'm not accustomed to really hot weather but that just seems very wrong.

It actually happened in Michigan to a Moto Guzzi Monza v50 while I was working a poo poo fast food job. It was in really good condition before that, too. :(

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 27, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's little ruts in my driveway from where I parked my bike on the few really hot days we've had. It's been a fairly mild summer here in DC.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

NoDoorway posted:

I'd love to ride one just to see if they're as fun as they look. Although the 27hp thing kinda sucks. One of the bonuses of an older 250, my bandit is hiding 45 horses in that wee i4.
The non-US versions of the newer Ninja are closer to that. Unfortunately, I think the US ones are carb'd, while the non-US are EFI, so they get a big power bump. Now, I know there was some sort of reason for that (cost, perhaps? or emissions?) but it's still pretty ridiculous.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Fantastipotamus posted:

The non-US versions of the newer Ninja are closer to that. Unfortunately, I think the US ones are carb'd, while the non-US are EFI, so they get a big power bump. Now, I know there was some sort of reason for that (cost, perhaps? or emissions?) but it's still pretty ridiculous.

Everything I've read on the 250 forums says that the FI version is down 3hp on the carb version. As for the decision to go carbed, Kawasaki claims that price is the biggest single factor for people looking at 250s, so they do what they can to keep the price down.

monkeynuts
Sep 14, 2007

NoDoorway posted:

They're hilariously fun... my only real problem is that the gears are really close together and shifting from 1 > 5 and 5 > 1 in 35 mph stop & go traffic feels excessive.

Here's mine, had it for a few weeks now:

Sir J Savile
May 5, 2009

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

The Ducati I sold about 3 months ago but the Zook is still leant on daily and puts a smile on my face. I might take a pic of the NSR tomorrow but it's in bits as it blew up, I do have a blog out there logging all the abuse of the previous owner though.

Also there's a Polini slaying chink minimoto which is tweaked to within an inch of it's life. The motor in it now is built up from a failed project of trying to join 2 motors together to make a 100cc parallel twin. The current motor hasn't got long left as the crank cases are seriously split at the mounting points where the motor is trying to tear itself out the chassis plus it's running kerosene at 100:1 but when it sies there is something more extreme on the drawing board that's coming in the next year for that thing hopefully.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Everything I've read on the 250 forums says that the FI version is down 3hp on the carb version. As for the decision to go carbed, Kawasaki claims that price is the biggest single factor for people looking at 250s, so they do what they can to keep the price down.
And yet they've got up about $1k since rollout of the new model.. ;) Interesting about the FI/carb issue, I could have sworn I'd read (albeit before actual release when the 'new ninja 250?!' pictures were floating around) that the non-US version would make more like 40-45bhp (I was trying to talk my fiancee into getting one as an upgrade from her current EX250-F), but then heard the US one would be substantially less due to them going with carbs instead. Ahh well.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
How did they manage to lose almost 10 HP? My 2004 is rated for like 36. Or is that 27 at the rear tire?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

How did they manage to lose almost 10 HP? My 2004 is rated for like 36. Or is that 27 at the rear tire?

I've seen several dyno graphs plotting the stock 250r power somewhere around 26-28hp at the wheel. Apparently a decent full exhaust system and some tuning puts it around 33hp at the wheel. There's really not much difference engine wise between the generations. I'm pretty sure most of the difference is body work and suspension.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

I've seen several dyno graphs plotting the stock 250r power somewhere around 26-28hp at the wheel. Apparently a decent full exhaust system and some tuning puts it around 33hp at the wheel. There's really not much difference engine wise between the generations. I'm pretty sure most of the difference is body work and suspension.

If by "some tuning" you mean a complete race prep, then I think that's fairly accurate. If you're not doing stuff to the engine, there's no way you'll see over 30hp on one of those. The handgrenades that the 250 superbike racers would run would make, I believe, around 35hp.

It's hard to get power out of a 250.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

If by "some tuning" you mean a complete race prep, then I think that's fairly accurate. If you're not doing stuff to the engine, there's no way you'll see over 30hp on one of those. The handgrenades that the 250 superbike racers would run would make, I believe, around 35hp.

Area P's exhaust with stock carb jetting, no tuning on an otherwise stock 2008 250r. There are many more graphs of otherwise stock bikes just like this over on the 250 forums.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Z3n posted:

Not really, I just twist my wrist a bit further :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

Area P's exhaust with stock carb jetting, no tuning on an otherwise stock 2008 250r. There are many more graphs of otherwise stock bikes just like this over on the 250 forums.

Hrm, I guess the mods they did to the engine are significant. I know it was a big deal to get an older 250 anywhere over 30-31hp.

They did change from rockers to shim under bucket, so while the press releases said the engine was "essentially unchanged", apparently more changed than they were letting on.