Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

elpintogrande posted:

These are the first complaints I've seen about the highlighting, but I'll try to make it clear what is highlighted in future installments.

I appreciate this- doing it in yellow might make it clearer. My eyes naturally went to the brighter portions, when you were actually pointing out the dark shades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Anonymous Robot posted:

My eyes naturally went to the brighter portions, when you were actually pointing out the dark shades.

Actually the parts that aren't shaded are the ones being pointed out; take the first one for example, with the glue mummy and the part highlighted about it secreting a glue that makes everything stick to it and being able to voluntarily secrete the solvent. It makes more sense to think that's being highlighted than the part immediately following it about the monster taking half-damage from weapons and poo poo like that (which they don't even mention in the article, because it isn't really that dumb.)

It wouldn't make sense for people to NOT read that and you should naturally be inclined to read the brighter parts that are easier to read, and even if you don't the fact they discuss the brighter parts more than the darker should be a huge context clue.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

John Dyne posted:

you should naturally be inclined to read the brighter parts that are easier to read, and even if you don't the fact they discuss the brighter parts more than the darker should be a huge context clue.

You should be naturally inclined to read something that isn't highlighted over something that is? Really? Whether it's highlighted grey, or neon pink, a highlight is a highlight. Fading out the un-used portions would've worked better.

As for discussion, they discuss everything or nothing more or less equally. Most of the time the discussion centers on the appearance, which is normally not even mentioned in the description at all, or on hypothetical situations you might encounter the creature in.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 21, 2009

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Offkorn posted:

You should be naturally inclined to read something that isn't highlighted over something that is? Really? Whether it's highlighted grey, or neon pink, a highlight is a highlight. Fading out the un-used portions would've worked better.

There is no difference between "highlighting in gray" and "fading out the un-used portions."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Offkorn posted:

You should be naturally inclined to read something that isn't highlighted over something that is? Really?

uhh how is making it darker highlighting it

highlights are generally, you know, LIGHTER than the stuff around them. take blonde highlights in brown hair or a bright yellow marker in black and white text

which is what the bright rear end white vs dull grey is in the article

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 21, 2009

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I've been confused about this too.

John Dyne posted:

highlights are generally, you know, LIGHTER than the stuff around them.

A highlight is just a change to the normal background that is clearly intentional and one that the eye is not expecting. In a page scan, you're expecting black text on a solid white background. Since the authors changed some of the background color, you'd think that the part that was changed is the part that needs attention.

Just my two cents on the issue. I've been reading the banter first and looking at the page second. The banter is what makes the articles :)

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Is this clear?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

That's the format we're going with this week for part 2 of Fiend Folio. I tried highlighting with yellow, but it was losing letters when I did 8 or 16 color GIFs. If this doesn't work for you guys I might try the yellow highlight and save them as jpgs or something.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

elpintogrande posted:

That's the format we're going with this week for part 2 of Fiend Folio. I tried highlighting with yellow, but it was losing letters when I did 8 or 16 color GIFs. If this doesn't work for you guys I might try the yellow highlight and save them as jpgs or something.

I think the red circles are distracting and that yellow highlights would be easier to read. JPEG compression would probably result in nasty artifacts, so perhaps PNG or 256 color GIF would be better.

That being said, I honestly prefer the grayed-out versions and don't see how people could look at one of those images, see a wall of low-contrast black-on-gray text with a few islands of high-contrast black-on-white text, and think that they're supposed to read a whole paragraph, except for this one sentence. :psyduck:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I find that a lot more readable than the block highlights, but maybe underlining in red would be clearer still?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

that awful man posted:

I think the red circles are distracting and that yellow highlights would be easier to read. JPEG compression would probably result in nasty artifacts, so perhaps PNG or 256 color GIF would be better.

That being said, I honestly prefer the grayed-out versions and don't see how people could look at one of those images, see a wall of low-contrast black-on-gray text with a few islands of high-contrast black-on-white text, and think that they're supposed to read a whole paragraph, except for this one sentence. :psyduck:

Both PNG and 256 color GIFs aren't really an option. That underlining may work though. If people don't like this one or maybe underlining (maybe a softer color than red?) I'll just go back to the original way.

I could do some real elaborate TV style excerpts with blurry gray background text and popping excerpts, I just doubt the effort would have worthwhile returns.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
The original format was fine, so thanks people who have some kind of unfathomable disorder that made it confusing.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit my eyes were drawn to the grey as well. I like the underlining though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The red underlines work fine.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

This one is going to be the circles, but I'll do the underlines for the next one.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
WHen I was a kid I had some DnD toys. Pretty much forgot all about them until I read the latest WTF DnD? and remembered I used to play this guy all the time:

Jeez.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

what, me worry?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
oh it's fiend-folio, I misread it as friend folio and was wondering when we'd get to our friend

mewlink64
Apr 6, 2009

Ferrule posted:

WHen I was a kid I had some DnD toys. Pretty much forgot all about them until I read the latest WTF DnD? and remembered I used to play this guy all the time:

Jeez.

funky lookin hook horror?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
You should definitely do some 40k stuff next. I don't know a whole lot about early 40k, but some kind of Chaos or Dark Eldar codex might have the most diversity in stupid monsters

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't expecting a reference to the "Roy Orbison in Saran Wrap" ALOD from years ago.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

XyloJW posted:

You should definitely do some 40k stuff next. I don't know a whole lot about early 40k, but some kind of Chaos or Dark Eldar codex might have the most diversity in stupid monsters

I saw a first-edition rulebook a while back, and their early stuff was a lot weirder - they took races straight from the high fantasy games without thinking whether they made sense in a space setting. Orks and Eldar have survived, but there used to be space dwarves, space frogs, space centaurs, and all sorts.

The craziest part was the amount of dice rolling you had to do. Back in the day you had to roll to see whether your ork's kombi-weapon was a bolta-bolta-launcher or a bolta-las-melta or some other combination. There were 6-7 different generations of genestealer hybrid, and then you had to roll to see whether they had claws or hands, carapace or normal skin, etc. I'm amazed anyone ever managed to play an actual game like that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Steve mentioned on the last page that he and Zack might review FATAL, and I'm sure they'll both get emails from people encouraging to do so. However, I'd like to request that you do not review it.

There isn't anything funny about FATAL. Looking for humor in FATAL will only depress you, and any article that actually gets written about it will either be painful to read or, at best, uninteresting.

That aside, I really enjoyed the Fiend Folio review. I thought I knew all the ___-bear monsters, but the gorilla-bear was new to me!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DoctorTristan posted:

I saw a first-edition rulebook a while back, and their early stuff was a lot weirder - they took races straight from the high fantasy games without thinking whether they made sense in a space setting. Orks and Eldar have survived, but there used to be space dwarves, space frogs, space centaurs, and all sorts.

'Hold on, guys, I see a horse in that black hole. Wayyyy down there, gonna jetpack down there and sit on that horse FOR THE EMPEROR.'

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ferrule posted:

Jeez.

That's why it looked so familiar! I had a ton of those D&D toys growing up. Wish I kept them instead of the My Little Ponies. :smith:

Manna Probe
Apr 27, 2008
DO NOT PLAY F.A.T.A.L! The entire update will just be "In Loving Memory of Zack "Geist Editor" Parsons and Steve "Malak" Sumner", and a link to the donation page of a suicide prevention hotline.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If you can get hold of a copy I reccomend any of the volumes from Liber Chaotica http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liber-Chaotica-Complete-Volumes-Warhammer/dp/1844163946
Or the 2nd edition 40k Wargear book.
None of it makes sense unless you're British and either 13yrs old or a stoned 30yr old metalhead who sells lead soldiers for a living.

I want to see you guys try to explain how exactly a melta gun melts through METAL armour with microwaves.
Also melta bombs being canisters filled with hard water and a microwave emitter that would cause a nuclear explosion small enough to just take out a door or hatch.
Not to mention boltguns, chainswords, powerfists, thunder hammers and chainfists.

Don't forget back in 2nd edition you still had Squat bikers with multimeltas for even more MELTA POWAH!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

elpintogrande posted:

These are the first complaints I've seen about the highlighting, but I'll try to make it clear what is highlighted in future installments.

I like how you did it in the lastest one but yeah the first few installments I wasn't sure if it was the book or you and then what I was supposed to be reading. Lets be honest most of the descriptions are pretty ridiculous so reading it all doesn't really narrow it down.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I love what you've been doing so far, these articles are hilarious. I would love to see some 40k in the future, mostly for how batshit insane some of the "vanilla" stuff in that series is. One request though, is that 3.5 of D&D had a lot of books that not only were really bizarre, but full of some really stupid poo poo. I would like to see some more modern D&D books eventually. But for now, I really love what you guys have been doing.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

DamnGlitch posted:

I like how you did it in the lastest one but yeah the first few installments I wasn't sure if it was the book or you and then what I was supposed to be reading. Lets be honest most of the descriptions are pretty ridiculous so reading it all doesn't really narrow it down.

100% agreement.

Schwarzwald posted:

There is no difference between "highlighting in gray" and "fading out the un-used portions."

Um... yes, yes there is.

One adds a block of color on top of the words to emphasize them, the other doesn't add anything and fades the words out making them harder to read.

John Dyne posted:

uhh how is making it darker highlighting it

They added a gray highlight on top of the words.

Apparently you've never used a highlighter before, because "making the highlighted portion stand out by adding a colored background to it" is what they do.

John Dyne posted:

highlights are generally, you know, LIGHTER than the stuff around them. take blonde highlights in brown hair or a bright yellow marker in black and white text

What about Blond hair with Black highlights? Because that's what this example has far more similarity with. Highlights have everything to do with the background color. Dark Highlights are used for light backgrounds, and light highlights are used for dark backgrounds.

A highlight is meant to draw your attention to the altered section. And a gray block most certainly does stand out in a field of white.

You may also want to visit some forums with built in color-coding options, as you'll then see that you can highlight text in any color imaginable. Even black.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 26, 2009

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Offkorn posted:

Apparently you've never used a highlighter before, because "making the highlighted portion stand out by adding a colored background to it" is what they do.

What about Blond hair with Black highlights? Because that's what this example has far more similarity with. Highlights have everything to do with the background color. Dark Highlights are used for light backgrounds, and light highlights are used for dark backgrounds.

A highlight is meant to draw your attention to the altered section. And a gray block most certainly does stand out in a field of white.

You may also want to visit some forums with built in color-coding options, as you'll then see that you can highlight text in any color imaginable. Even black.

A highlighter adds a brighter color to the text to bring it out. You do not have black or grey highlighters, and if you do highlight by that method you do so by not using the marker on the text you want highlighted. And there are no such thing as 'black highlights.' When you apply a darker color to a brighter color, in regards to hair especially, that is called 'lowlighting.'

The definition of highlighting is to emphasize, usually with a brighter color. 'An area or a spot in a drawing, painting, or photograph that is strongly illuminated.' White is 'more illuminated' than grey. Yes, the grey stands out in a field of white, but it's emphasizing the white, not the grey, by standard definitions.

And yes, you can 'highlight' in any color but highlighting with black on a forum makes the text white which STILL draws your eyes to the white. The point of highlighting is to draw your eye to the brigher parts, and your eye SHOULD be naturally drawn to look at more illuminated areas because they're easier to spot.

All of this is moot and arguing semantics, however, because they've gone from the grey and white to red. You guys is just weird with your 'oh let's try to read the darker part instead of the bright part.' :v:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Verizian posted:

I want to see you guys try to explain how exactly a melta gun melts through METAL armour with microwaves.
Also melta bombs being canisters filled with hard water and a microwave emitter that would cause a nuclear explosion small enough to just take out a door or hatch.
Not to mention boltguns, chainswords, powerfists, thunder hammers and chainfists.

Don't forget back in 2nd edition you still had Squat bikers with multimeltas for even more MELTA POWAH!

What?! You mean those are GONE now?! I knew those stupid space dwarves were dead, but... no chainswords? Seriously? :(

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
all that still exists

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
And they might be bringing the squats back.
A few blogs said that the guy who owned the rights to them went bankrupt and sold the rights to GW for pocket change earlier in the year. Probably INTERNET RUMOURS however.
They've even added crazier stuff since then like the new WOLF CLAWS. Extra speshul lightning claws only for space wolves.

A look at the index astartes articles for the different space marine chapters might be worthwhile for the hilarity caused by space vikings, space mongolians, space vampires, space romans and several varieties of space gays.
Apart from the marines you also have space orks, space elves and even space elf clown/librarian hybrids.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

What?! You mean those are GONE now?! I knew those stupid space dwarves were dead, but... no chainswords? Seriously? :(

There are plenty of chainswords in 40k.

Too Fresh
Jan 20, 2004
Latest update is fantastic, http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/wtf-wondrous-items.php

A steam train? A cola machine? Did people actually use these in their games!!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I saw the image for 'Brandon's Bard-in-a-Box' and just started laughing. They honestly went to their artists and said, 'draw a halfling with sunglasses jamming to a boombox, and make him look urban' and their artists didn't quit on the spot.

You have got to be making GBS threads me. This book is awesome.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Love the banter between you two, nice one!

lioncat84
Mar 26, 2007
Lurker of the Deep
I love the articles, Zack and Steve. I'm just glad I got into the hobby in the latter days of 2nd Edition/early days of 3rd Edition. The 1st Edition stuff makes me cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

quote:

Steve: One time Keith had us fight a helicopter, but it was okay because there was a time rift and it was just temporary. It was an Apache attack helicopter.

Zack: But did it run on steam and gnome magic?

Steve: No, but there were three skeletons inside with buckets of water.

This was another excellent article. Steve is just clever enough.

• Locked thread