Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
How exactly does one go about seeing Xew Xew/Que la fête commence/Let the Party Begin? For a film that's apparently a hair's breadth from perfection, I don't even think it's been released on DVD. I've been looking for a few months now.

For that matter, how can an English speaker get into Senegalese film? What should I look for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

How exactly does one go about seeing Xew Xew/Que la fête commence/Let the Party Begin? For a film that's apparently a hair's breadth from perfection, I don't even think it's been released on DVD. I've been looking for a few months now.

For that matter, how can an English speaker get into Senegalese film? What should I look for?
For the first part there was a discussion of this on criticker and supposedly it was shown at some Brazilian film festival where those people saw it. I still think it's an in joke of some kind. Regardless you're not going to find it and judging its score and value off of a grand total of 15 votes on IMDb or 8 on criticker probably isn't a good idea.

For the second part I've only seen two Senegalese films but they'd be a good start if you're interested. It helps to know something about french colonialism in Africa. Journey of the Hyena is quite good, and available for free right now at the auteurs. http://www.theauteurs.com/cinemas/11

Xala is the other one I've seen which is a black comedy of sorts and also pretty good though the cultural barriers did hamper my enjoyment.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I was watching Cloverfield today and noticed a curious credit: "Sound editing at: 20th Century Fox Studios". Can anyone explain to me why a Paramount produced film would have sound editing done at a different studio, and is this the norm and I just failed to notice it before?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Dark Weasel posted:

It just seemed strange that he's automatically defaulted as the hero in the context of the fight. I mean, yeah, it makes sense to the film's audience because we've been watching him for two hours, but I felt like it made things uneven for the fight itself.

Maybe I don't watch enough wrestling? I just think the scene would play a whole lot better if he at least gestured for the mic, or something. It sticks out to me because for a movie that did a whole lot of things differently than the norm, that scene feels so, I guess, generically dramatic.

In professional wrestling, there is always a face and a heel or a good guy and a bad guy. Ram was defaulted as the hero because he spent his career as a face, a heroic character who faced heels like The Sheik, the mohawk punk guy, or the crazy staples guy. It doesn't seem strange for the face to be given the microphone to make a rousing speech and to go off and win the match in such heroic fashion.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

WeaponX posted:

In professional wrestling, there is always a face and a heel or a good guy and a bad guy. Ram was defaulted as the hero because he spent his career as a face, a heroic character who faced heels like The Sheik, the mohawk punk guy, or the crazy staples guy. It doesn't seem strange for the face to be given the microphone to make a rousing speech and to go off and win the match in such heroic fashion.

The Ayatollah even says when Randy asks him if he wants to run through some moves for the match "You're the face, I'm the heel. Done."

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

What are some good films to watch that are in standard Castillian Spanish?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Umbriago posted:

What are some good films to watch that are in standard Castillian Spanish?
Pan's Labyrinth comes to mind, but I'm only assuming it's Castillian because the first page of a google search is saying so.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Daduzi posted:

I was watching Cloverfield today and noticed a curious credit: "Sound editing at: 20th Century Fox Studios". Can anyone explain to me why a Paramount produced film would have sound editing done at a different studio, and is this the norm and I just failed to notice it before?

Fox Sound would be just one of many sound facilities operating. Rather than keep it just for internal projects, at some point Fox would have spun it off as an independent business to compete in the market for business. I don't really know, but I imagine it's a top-flight sound lab equipped to handle studio-level films. Paramount may no longer have this kind of physical infrastructure; it might not be as good; or it might have been busy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I think all of Almodovar's films are in Castilian Spanish. They're all pretty good, but my favorites are All About My Mother, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown and Talk to Her.

EDIT: Spirit of the Beehive is a superior film. It takes place in a Castilian village, so I assume the dialect is Castilian as well.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 28, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

therattle posted:

Fox Sound would be just one of many sound facilities operating. Rather than keep it just for internal projects, at some point Fox would have spun it off as an independent business to compete in the market for business. I don't really know, but I imagine it's a top-flight sound lab equipped to handle studio-level films. Paramount may no longer have this kind of physical infrastructure; it might not be as good; or it might have been busy.

Exactly. Fox Studios Australia have been home to many films Fox and not. I believe the Matrix sequels shot there as well as others.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
In Animal House, what was up with the headline "Dean's wife to vacation in Florida" after she sleeps with the student. Did she go for an abortion or something?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Armyman25 posted:

In Animal House, what was up with the headline "Dean's wife to vacation in Florida" after she sleeps with the student. Did she go for an abortion or something?

I think it's more about getting her out of the way for a while to avoid scandal.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

I always took it to mean she went to a dry out farm because she had a drinking problem.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Resurrecting this thread because I have a question that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Fanny and Alexander: Worth it to go with the 5-hour TV version as opposed to the 3-hour theatrical one? Yay or nay?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Resurrecting this thread because I have a question that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Fanny and Alexander: Worth it to go with the 5-hour TV version as opposed to the 3-hour theatrical one? Yay or nay?
Miniseries, miniseries, a million times miniseries. The only place worth buying it has them both in the same package anyway.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
OK - here's a technical one - the Director is the person who calls all the shots, correct? By shots, I mean what the camera films, where to place the camera, etc. But then what does the cinematographer do? Don't they generally get credit for how a film "looks"?

Or are they like a sub-director in charge of the general scenery or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JD Brickmeister posted:

OK - here's a technical one - the Director is the person who calls all the shots, correct? By shots, I mean what the camera films, where to place the camera, etc. But then what does the cinematographer do? Don't they generally get credit for how a film "looks"?

Or are they like a sub-director in charge of the general scenery or something?

The director might have specific shots in mind, but most of them won't plan every little scene. And even if they do, they still probably want a good cinematographer because there's always going to be a way to add little improvements.

You also have your directors who aren't so big on the visual stuff, so the cinematographer handles that aspect. It seems to be pretty common when an actor or writer on a TV show directs an episode.

In general though, it's the guy in charge of the lighting and the camera crews. Sometimes those jobs are given to separate people though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 7, 2009

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
In what order should I watch Kielsowski's Colors Trilogy?

I know I could Google this, but I am afraid I might read something that might ruin the stories.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

deoju posted:

In what order should I watch Kielsowski's Colors Trilogy?

I know I could Google this, but I am afraid I might read something that might ruin the stories.

Blue, White, Red It's not a huge deal if you don't watch in order, just a couple of small cool things to notice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is a stupid question but it was kind of bothering me, I was watching that retarded Vin Diesel movie Babylon A.D. and at the end is there supposed to be some kind of explanation as to why Aurora dies? As it was shown in the movie she just kind of dies without any kind of reason.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Miniseries, miniseries, a million times miniseries. The only place worth buying it has them both in the same package anyway.

I have the theatrical recorded off of Turner Classic. Delete it unwatched and wait for the miniseries, or is the theatrical worth seeing on its own?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ClydeUmney posted:

I have the theatrical recorded off of Turner Classic. Delete it unwatched and wait for the miniseries, or is the theatrical worth seeing on its own?

I saw the theatrical first (in the theater :smug: ) and it didn't ruin the television version or anything. In fact, it made the longer version just seem that much more awesome by comparison.

Still, I wouldn't bother with the shorter if you have an opportunity to see the longer one instead.

And quit relying on cable to provide all your movies. GET loving NETFLIX

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's nice to see they've finally got the TV version on Netflix.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I have a F&A question to follow up: The gently caress's up with Ismael? Even with all of the fantastic storytelling that lead up to it, I can't resolve it as anything more than a convenient way to off the bishop.

Absolutely do not read that spoiler if you haven't seen it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Apologies if this has been asked before, 20 pages is a lot to sift through.

In THE FIFTH ELEMENT, they regenerate Leeloo out of a fragment of alien DNA found in the wreckage carrying The Fifth Element.

Scene here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fII9hH2UH8o

So, was Leeloo originally a Turtle-dude, and her DNA was reformatted into a hot supermodel? Was she always a female human? What happened to the rescued hand - it just disappears in this scene, but why wouldn't it be attached to her arm?

Did she have to fall in love to be the "Fifth Element" aka love? Did she have to be activated by love, like the other stones had to be activated by water, air, etc? Or was she good enough, if she hadn't fallen in love with Corbin Dallas, to save the universe on her own, since she seemed to "love" stuff like chicken and rear end-kicking?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

VorpalBunny posted:

In THE FIFTH ELEMENT, they regenerate Leeloo out of a fragment of alien DNA found in the wreckage carrying The Fifth Element.

Scene here:

So, was Leeloo originally a Turtle-dude, and her DNA was reformatted into a hot supermodel? Was she always a female human? What happened to the rescued hand - it just disappears in this scene, but why wouldn't it be attached to her arm?

Did she have to fall in love to be the "Fifth Element" aka love? Did she have to be activated by love, like the other stones had to be activated by water, air, etc? Or was she good enough, if she hadn't fallen in love with Corbin Dallas, to save the universe on her own, since she seemed to "love" stuff like chicken and rear end-kicking?

It might help to think of it akin to the movie Species where the underlying DNA is very malleable. The DNA in the movie is a massive information store so when the ship is lawn darted the DNA is basically the cargo and all of the aliens were carriers.

When they drop the glove in the regeneration machine, it creates the "cargo" which was intended to be a human analogue. Maybe the aliens can or do look human within their giant armors. I don't think the glove itself disappears per-se just she removes her hand from within it.

On your final point, I think you're on target that she needs to be in love to activate herself as the fifth element. Had she not fallen in love, then the world would be lost. That is also why her lowest point, where she doubts the good in mankind, is such a crucial moment because it basically would have been the end of things. Which is also why the twists of fate ("Of all the cabs in all the universe...") are fun in perspective as the world guides them together.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

VorpalBunny posted:

Scene here:

Around 1:50 in that video you posted you can see that glove IS attached to her arm. I know the above reasoning is probably right but I just like to think that under the big space armor those turtle aliens were all hot space Jovaviches

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Satch posted:

Around 1:50 in that video you posted you can see that glove IS attached to her arm. I know the above reasoning is probably right but I just like to think that under the big space armor those turtle aliens were all hot space Jovaviches

Or at least just she was like that under the suit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's super dense DNA. It can probably be used to create any number of species, depending on who's turn it is to save the world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
In Big Trouble In Little China, at the start they're gambling, though it doesn't show what they're doing. Is there any idea?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One on The Fifth Element:
Are they guys who get left in Corbin's fridge dead from being frozen?

I always thought it was unfunny given that appearance.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

One on The Fifth Element:
Are they guys who get left in Corbin's fridge dead from being frozen?

I always thought it was unfunny given that appearance.

The older dude shows up again later in the film; he's Corbin's ex-commander or whatever. Its presumable that the fat lady lived as well.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

itrorev posted:

The older dude shows up again later in the film; he's Corbin's ex-commander or whatever. Its presumable that the fat lady lived as well.

Ok, it's been a while, so I forgot about that. It seemed like more of what would belong in a Three Stooges short.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

twistedmentat posted:

In Big Trouble In Little China, at the start they're gambling, though it doesn't show what they're doing. Is there any idea?
They're playing fan-tan. Jack actually says as much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SubG posted:

They're playing fan-tan. Jack actually says as much.

Ah, at least I can look it up on Wikipedia now.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Just finished re-watching For a Few Dollars More. Does anyone know what the name of the song that plays as the watch unwinds is? I would love to find a copy of the track online (not :filez:, I mean legitimately), but I don't even know the title, which makes it hard to find.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

ClydeUmney posted:

Just finished re-watching For a Few Dollars More. Does anyone know what the name of the song that plays as the watch unwinds is? I would love to find a copy of the track online (not :filez:, I mean legitimately), but I don't even know the title, which makes it hard to find.
Sixty Seconds to What?

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It's super dense DNA. It can probably be used to create any number of species, depending on who's turn it is to save the world.

Also it is in a machine designed to make humans. So it probably had no ability to deal with the non-human information it had.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Maybe the rest of the DNA was used to encode memories and such. Or did they alreay address how she retains her memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Ape Agitator posted:

On your final point, I think you're on target that she needs to be in love to activate herself as the fifth element. Had she not fallen in love, then the world would be lost. That is also why her lowest point, where she doubts the good in mankind, is such a crucial moment because it basically would have been the end of things. Which is also why the twists of fate ("Of all the cabs in all the universe...") are fun in perspective as the world guides them together.

This just made me realise that Captain Planet spoiled the Fith Element. OF COURSE the fith elemnt has to be heart/love. Duh