Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
We're actually staying in Custer SD and are just going to be commuting to Sturgis. Sturgis is 100% not my thing, but the things we do for our parents. Plus hey, free trip to South Dakota! Pretty sure Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse are also on the itinerary as is general dinking around in the Badlands. I've never been before so if there's anything else I'm missing let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
The Black Hills are pretty awesome but I'd expect them to be very crowded during Sturgis.

Devil's Tower is definitely worth a visit, it's a pretty amazing sight. I've never big a big fan of Mt. Rushmore, it's quite expensive and there's not much to do other than look at it. Crazy Horse is more impressive.

If you leave a day or two early you could ride out to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons which are mega awesome but it's a long haul across Wyoming but once you get there it's worth it. Given how close you are to Custer State park though I'd just ride through there every day. The roads there are fantastic and there's tons of awesome wildlife.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I was in Yellowstone and the Tetons last weekend but thanks for the other suggestions. I'm unfortunately a little hampered in my selection of roads up to SD as we're headed up with a bunch of my dad's PGR friends.

Is Wall Drug really worth the trip?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

dietcokefiend posted:

*my rear end hurts*
Stand the gently caress up. That will both help your knees and your butt. According to corbin, you really need to be off your but 10 minutes out of every hour. However, you can't just stand up for 10 minutes every hour, you need to be off your butt, allowing bloodflow roughly 1 minute out of every six. And that's according to Corbin himself.

Also to help my knees, I hang my feet down. Stretch them out to the sides, rest them on the passenger pegs, etc, from time to time.

Now, that's all the advice I use. But as I've found out recently, I have a very hard rear end. I tend to do most of my bicycling without bike shorts and i'm none the worse for wear. The majority of the bike community can't do that.

8ender has some good advice. But there's better than tighty whiteys. Goto your local bicycle shop, pick up bike shorts. Or even just "bike underwear." Bicycle shorts do not have any seams where it counts. They also have padding that's part of them (called chamios) that acts as the wear surface instead of your butt.

Also, talc/baby powder helps. Stops humidity from being to much of a problem, and acts as a dry lubricant.

Finally, some prophylactic painkillers are often called for. I ride with some real old fogies, and at breakfast most of them down some Alive.

N8's right too. You could just be to tall for the damned thing. That's a 100% fixable problem with seat padding, and re-mounting the pegs. I don't recomend the BMX peg thing, as they're solid and not mounted on the frame, you'd be looking at a very expensive parking lot drop, since you'd immediately cause radiator damage.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Would this be an inappropriate time to mention just how drat fabulous the summer had been in Alaska this year?

OK, we had some odd days, like coming back from Dawson and finding snow on the side of the road in Mentasta pass-but it's been dry and hot (by our standards) and we're actually happy that it's raining a bit.

I'm thinking that there is only so much good weather available omn the planet at any given time and this year is our turn. We're owed it after last summer (Skier can just STFU about how he managed to not drown during his trip up here last season that was nominally summer).

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Nerobro posted:

N8's right too. You could just be to tall for the damned thing. That's a 100% fixable problem with seat padding, and re-mounting the pegs. I don't recomend the BMX peg thing, as they're solid and not mounted on the frame, you'd be looking at a very expensive parking lot drop, since you'd immediately cause radiator damage.

Nah the radiator will be fine, but the engine mounting bosses will snap off. :v:

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Taelrin posted:

I was in Yellowstone and the Tetons last weekend but thanks for the other suggestions. I'm unfortunately a little hampered in my selection of roads up to SD as we're headed up with a bunch of my dad's PGR friends.

Is Wall Drug really worth the trip?

Wall Drug is a tourist trap, it's a clever one but it's just about the same as South of the Border and many other places like that. There's no history, nor is there anything particularly interesting about it (I suppose the dinosaur is kinda cool).

Sturgis isn't my thing but I do like the area around it, I think you could have a bunch of fun riding curisers and other bikes on the easy gravel roads in the black hills, and getting off the 4 paved roads that run through the area. The skies out there are also crazy dark so a night ride out into the hills for star gazing would also be a great time.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Skier posted:

Nah the radiator will be fine, but the engine mounting bosses will snap off. :v:

*scene 1*
A 98 GSXR1000 lay smoking on it's side. It's still running, but only barely, the sound of a hundred bearings in a coffee can rattle. One dawg talks to his bro.

Bro, bleeding from eveyrwhere his wifebeater, truckerhat, and jean shorts didn't cover:
"poo poo Dawg, I spent a fiddy on that ebay stunt cage now it's all scraped up."

Dawg:
"bro, look at that, your frame looks like my last redbull can. That's hardcore!"

Bro:
"But look, the plastic is fine"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What possessed me to go to R1 forums and read the 'Is an R1 a good starter bike?' mega-thread, I may never know. What I do know is, my brain hurts, I want that hour back, and I never want to ride anywhere near these people.

Edit: Because I hate you, and you know you hate yourself too: http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75113

quote:

nobody listens EVER!
if your lucky you'll die fast if you screw up bad
I named myself squid killer cause I was hit buy a guy on a gxer 750 he did a wheelie behind me right as I was on the brakes to make a turn, hit me and a black r1. Both of us r1 riders had lids and leather on the gxer had his on the bike. I was lucky my carbon can deflected the 750 it just grazed my leg didnt even go doun but the black r1 went doun hard _ it was toast the rider walked away with a cracked rib and a toasted helmet.
The rider on the 750 had a lot of blood on the steet it was all from his head, he was in a coma for about a month in the icu. The guy is toast he lived but his kids will never know who he was.
So do what you will, riding the bike isnt that tough but are you smart enough to to get a lid and leathers and alwase use em cause even when you think your good some squid or cage is lookin for ya, oh ya stay away from me

quote:

The R1 was my first Sport Bike. I've rode a '71 Honda CB350 for a couple of years. Yeah I totaled the R1 the first day I got it but honestly it was the "cager" that pulled in front of me. I'm going to get a 2004 R1 when they come out next year and have no fear of it. The R1 was a 100x more maneuverable then my Honda. I never chopped the throttle (ok on the way home a SS Camaro pulled beside me and punched the gas then I twisted the throttle a inch and I went from 65 to 100 in about 2 seconds and blew by him like he was in reverse and then I slowed back down).

quote:

I still say that the 04 R1 is the easiest bike to ride even for beginners and I recommend it highly.. Guys a bike is a bike. Respect the throttle and you can't go wrong.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 28, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm going to open that thread and waste an hour learning to hate motorcyclists all over again. :xd:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Taelrin posted:

So, I'm going to Sturgis at the end of the week and plan on being there from the 2nd through the 6th. Has anyone been before and have any suggestions as to what to do/avoid? So far my plan consists of demoing a Boss Hoss and hopefully not dying.

I went to the 50th. I got invited to a lot parties outside town, usually with a wink and nudge about how wild the parties get because they are on private property, blah, blah, blah. Frankly I was too nervous to go. Many of these parties are thrown by clubs and I was by my lonesome. It would have probably been okay, but offend the wrong guy (not unlikely after I've had a few drinks) and my rear end becomes a mudhole filled with dirty boots. Other than that I just did all the touristy stuff. A few times a biker would get rowdy in public and his brothers would hustle him off quick. One biker got high and pulled a knife on a cop right out on the street, the cop shot him but I wasn't there when it happened. There will be a ton of artists there, so if you ever wanted your tank painted, now would be the time. Obviously, don't touch anyone's bike without permission. I would really like to go back in the next year or two. Give us a full trip report.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spiffness posted:

What possessed me to go to R1 forums and read the 'Is an R1 a good starter bike?' mega-thread, I may never know. What I do know is, my brain hurts, I want that hour back, and I never want to ride anywhere near these people.

Edit: Because I hate you, and you know you hate yourself too: http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75113
I haven't even gotten through one page and I find this gem:

quote:

i did... n still ridin.... i started on a 99 r1... i went down once.. pretty bad but everybodys going to crash, weather its big or small... it going to happen. why not get a 1 an start slow, rather then getting a 600 or a 750 and the spend more money to get a 1. im only 19, you may think oohh hes to young to talk but i will stunt with the best of them a 1000...thats the only way to go... a six is too small. not enough power. im now on a blue 03 n stay on 1 wheel where ever i go...
Thankfully, he lives in Seattle, so I have an an entire country between us. 100 hp isn't enough power! My bike needs more power than a typical economy car!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Fuuuuck, I live in Seattle. Don't want that asshat anywhere near me.

On the plus side, he's probably dead by now.

I couldn't find it to quote again but I read at least a few instances of 'had 2 lie it down b cuz o sum cagur, culda happnd to n e 1 so git the 1 and n joy'

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Also, talc/baby powder helps. Stops humidity from being to much of a problem, and acts as a dry lubricant.

Ah, good ol' Anti-Monkeybutt powder. Has anyone actually used this stuff? I hear good things about it as a name brand, but have no idea if there is actually any measurable benefit using it over plain old talcum.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Welp, I spent $200 dollars today on getting a new rear caliper for my Scorpa so I can compete next week :|. The machine shops failed me.

Who knew a low production french trials bike would cost so much? :argh:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

PadreScout posted:

Ah, good ol' Anti-Monkeybutt powder. Has anyone actually used this stuff? I hear good things about it as a name brand, but have no idea if there is actually any measurable benefit using it over plain old talcum.

The rider coaches in my BRC class swore by it and both of them log at least 30k miles/year. I've used something similar (Gold Bond) in the military for long distance road marches and it makes an enormous difference.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

PlasticSun posted:

Wall Drug is a tourist trap, it's a clever one but it's just about the same as South of the Border and many other places like that. There's no history, nor is there anything particularly interesting about it (I suppose the dinosaur is kinda cool).

Wall Drug is a million times cooler than that trashy dump South of the Border.

$0.05 for coffee is pretty drat interesting to me :colbert:

Nerobro posted:

8ender has some good advice. But there's better than tighty whiteys. Goto your local bicycle shop, pick up bike shorts. Or even just "bike underwear." Bicycle shorts do not have any seams where it counts. They also have padding that's part of them (called chamios) that acts as the wear surface instead of your butt.

Also:
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/vests_underwear_and_misc_/alpinestars/summer_tech_performance_underwear_motorcycle_boxers.html
With soft armor: http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/vests_underwear_and_misc_/icon/field_armor_motorcycle_short_2.html

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Taelrin posted:

We're actually staying in Custer SD and are just going to be commuting to Sturgis. Sturgis is 100% not my thing, but the things we do for our parents. Plus hey, free trip to South Dakota! Pretty sure Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse are also on the itinerary as is general dinking around in the Badlands. I've never been before so if there's anything else I'm missing let me know.

Go to Wind Cave National Park, it's pretty drat cool. I backpacked around there for a few days, the National Park has some neat roads and backpacking areas. The cave itself is a pretty neat thing to visit. I would do one of the more involved tours if you can, they have one by candlelight and another where you actually do a bit of climbing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Taelrin posted:

So, I'm going to Sturgis at the end of the week and plan on being there from the 2nd through the 6th. Has anyone been before and have any suggestions as to what to do/avoid? So far my plan consists of demoing a Boss Hoss and hopefully not dying.

I went last year. Rode my Vulcan 88. It was pretty much completely awesome. It's like 99% Harley dudes and their floozies, and they are all huge dorks. You'll see some titties, LOTS of pasties.

The town itself is a spectacle in during the rally. I think last year there were something like a half million people in the area for the rally.

I stayed at the Buffalo Chip for three nights, and that place is a non stop party. Kid Rock and Lynrd Skynrd (sp?) performed, and even John McCain did a speech on the mainstage. They have a mechanical bull, and the drunk ladies put on a fun show there.

Stuff to see / Do:
- Devil's Tower
- Body shots at One Eyed Jack's
- Full Throttle Saloon (get a shot they "serve" it to you, hope for some fine honeys to get on the mechanical bull)
- Deadwood (see Hickock and Calamity Jane's graves or catch a Cabaret show)
- Rushmore faces (I didn't do this, instead we went to Devil's Tower)
- Shoot some full auto weapons at the gun range
- Watch the hill climbs
- Explore the Black Hills area

If you're coming from the west, make sure you stop through Cody WY on your way there or back, cool little town a day's ride away, they have a pretty awesome gun museum.

Next year I'm going back, bringing the wife. We'll spend two nights on the Buffalo Chip in tents and one in a Deadwood hotel so we can get a proper shower and meal before hitting the road; the first hung over day back is pretty brutal.

I don't know if there's anything I'd recommend avoiding, excepting Seattle cops. The whole point, in my opinion, is to go with an open mind and take it all in.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 29, 2009

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
What kind of American are you to not know how to spell LYNYRD SKYNYRD?!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

teknicolor posted:

What kind of American are you to not know how to spell LYNYRD SKYNYRD?!
I'd imagine the average Skynard fan doesn't, either.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Endless Mike posted:

Skynard

please tell me this was intentional :P

e: I've done my bieking for the night, mister

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 30, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Less Leonard Skeonard and more bieks

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
gently caress this weather, it's about a million degrees (105) in the Puget Sound. I have an 11 mile ride home from work, and get back drenched in sweat. The wind in my face feels like its coming from a loving blow dryer. I should probably get some mesh gear, black leather is not working out.

I don't know how you guys in hotter climates do it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Zool posted:

gently caress this weather, it's about a million degrees (105) in the Puget Sound. I have an 11 mile ride home from work, and get back drenched in sweat. The wind in my face feels like its coming from a loving blow dryer. I should probably get some mesh gear, black leather is not working out.

Ballistic cloth jacket with mesh vents. The air circulates up the arms around your chest, and actually stays quite cool (well, relatively).

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Zool posted:

Florida uniform :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

teknicolor posted:

Florida uniform :(

How can people stand to shift up with flip flops? That poo poo starts to get annoying for me even through proper motorcycle boots.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It's easy. Put the sandal strap under the lever and press up. I did it all the time when I had a cruiser. <cue CA morality gear brigade>

No, seriously, I did and it's easy.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Stupid question, but how the gently caress do you mount a bike that has luggage on the rear seat. During my trip out to WI with my little camera bag on the back I strained every time I mounted and dismounted, to not rip off the bag. How the gently caress do you get over the thing with your leg?

I swear with some of the bags I have seen those riders need to drop down like ninjas from a roof just to clear the 3 foot case on the rear.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

frozenphil posted:

How can people stand to shift up with flip flops? That poo poo starts to get annoying for me even through proper motorcycle boots.

I could shift the sv650 barefoot without problems. My ZX seems to be more difficult, and now that it is just a sharp bolt since the original was snapped off when I go it, you would tear a hole on the top of your foot.

Now I cant say anything about long duration shifting. Most of my non-boot shifts are moving the bikes in and out of the garage while cleaning or working on them.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

dietcokefiend posted:

Stupid question, but how the gently caress do you mount a bike that has luggage on the rear seat. During my trip out to WI with my little camera bag on the back I strained every time I mounted and dismounted, to not rip off the bag. How the gently caress do you get over the thing with your leg?

I swear with some of the bags I have seen those riders need to drop down like ninjas from a roof just to clear the 3 foot case on the rear.

Put your left foot on the left peg first, stand up on it and then swing your right leg over.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ranathari posted:

Put your left foot on the left peg first, stand up on it and then swing your right leg over.

This, or if you're short like my g/f (MY G/F) then she'll kick her leg up on to the seat and then slide directly on to the bike.

I use the left peg technique to get on tall dirbikes/sm bikes.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just want to relay a little story to everyone as a reminder of why you should be on the lookout.

Maybe a month ago now I was coming up on a light when it turned yellow on me and I decided to wait instead of gun it, so I apply the brakes and the next thing I know I hear a sound similar to cardboard skidding across concrete and my front tucks. Mercifully, at a most extreme lean angle all of a sudden, the front tire catches (Love you, Pirelli), the SM suspension soaks it up like a champ and I am upright and safe and wondering WTF just happened. What happened is this:

A 3ft long, 2ft wide piece of hard plastic has been left in the road, I'm assuming from a nearby construction project. The drat thing was the exact color of the pavement around it and very thin, making it very difficult to spot even when I was off the bike looking for it. My front tire had run over it, and the plastic had gone sliding forward and sideways carrying my front along with it. I hucked it off past the sidewalk and thanked my bike and equipment for not loving me.

Just goes to show, you can't ever stop looking out for new and creative ways for the road to try and get ya.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jesus christ, man. Like I didn't have enough reasons to stay awake in the middle of the night consumed with dread.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ranathari posted:

I haven't gotten comfortable with the left peg thing. With my textile overpants, I can get enough of a swing to kick my leg over. With my stiffer leathers, I just lift my leg with my hand and place it over the seat. Yeah, I look like a weak pansy, but what are you gonna do?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If you lean forward over the tank it's easier to swing a leg. I have some dexterity left in my hips so with the bike loaded up good I can do a big goose step, plop my heel onto the seat then slide over.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
just approach the bike from the rear, get a bit of a run up, jump, and do a forward tuck with your legs apart. As long as you don't have a passenger backrest, you should be fine.

ideally, turn on the ignition and set the kill switch to run so that you can punch the starter with your thumb as you land.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The left footpeg's pretty much what I do when the KLR's loaded since it's a tall bike anyway. When I don't, I bet I look really silly trying to get my foot over the seat, especially with the decreased strength and mobility of my left knee since the titanium went through, it doesn't like to be twisted and hopped on all that much anymore.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I passed my M2 exit test the other day. Now I'm fully licensed and can exchange for a UK license. I got dinged for shoulder checks on turns mainly, but still passed with room to spare. Looking at the test form it's pretty much impossible to not get dinged for shoulder checks at some point. I'm glad I did a shoulder check at the urinal before the test, that could have been a costly mistake! ;)
I rode my old VFR which I had sold to my friend. I don't remember it being that uncomfortable! The effortless acceleration in any gear is something I miss a bit, though not at the expense of 50+kg of weight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MrKatharsis posted:

It's easy. Put the sandal strap under the lever and press up. I did it all the time when I had a cruiser. <cue CA morality gear brigade>

No, seriously, I did and it's easy.

Hah, I do find that my chucks enable a bit more dexterous use of the shifter than my boots allow.

You know what's the EASIEST way to shift with sandals? Heel shifter.

dietcokefiend posted:

I am a cruiser sort of dude with a low seat height, but I ran into this challenge last year on my trip to Sturgis, as you can see here . My trick was to kick my right foot straight out in front and hop toward so my foot clears the seat, then pivot and slide on in.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 31, 2009