Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I don't think the Ukrainian government would be okay with people living for ten weeks inside a quarantine zone, but then that probably wouldn't be a problem for the Ukraine of all nations. I remember Vice going to Chernobyl and bribing their tour guide into letting them hunt wolves with Ukrainian military rifles. Drinking the water and farming there would put you at a significant risk of cancer, but nothing else short of wandering into Wormwood would. The wildlife isn't much of a problem given Discovery's willingness to throw people into the middle of Alaska, but there's still the chance of them encountering gunrunners and the violent drunks that squat there.

See all of that would be the point of putting them there. I don't care about their safety this is for my entertainment.

Also this.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Discovery's lineup really blows. I mean, how many more shows about blue collar jobs can you cram into your lineup.

I've mostly been watching Science Channel. Mantracker is my new addiction, makes me want to go out there and hunt down some fugitives or something.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Aero737 posted:

I've mostly been watching Science Channel. Mantracker is my new addiction, makes me want to go out there and hunt down some fugitives or something.

I just got the Science Channel and have been checking it out. I'll have to check out Mantracker. Catch It/Keep It looks like it could be good, although I've only seen one episode so far. It was the one last week with the scooter and the extremely unstable build-team member who kept freaking out. It reminds me a little of Monster Garage on a shorter schedule.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Aero737 posted:

Discovery's lineup really blows. I mean, how many more shows about blue collar jobs can you cram into your lineup.

I'm disappointed in Discovery. When they brought on Stormchasers and that escape show, I kept saying that Discovery had finally honed in on exactly the kind of show that they needed to do. Then they started doing poo poo like Pitchmen and that logging show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Pitchmen probably belonged on TLC, but it wasn't too bad of a show. The logging show is ridiculous. All 3 or 4 of them are. MAYBE SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN THIS WEEK WHO KNOWS?! Oh nothing, nevermind. Here watch some people cut trees. That's why I really like Deadliest Catch. It very rarely fucks with you about people getting hurt because people can and do get hurt and die every single year and its not a loving joke. They treat it with respect.

Ice Road Truckers and Axe Men and the like LOVE talking about how dangerous poo poo is but the fact of the matter is 90% of the injuries that are even likely to happen are due to the person making a mistake, as opposed to a big wave and a chunk of ice randomly taking your ship and crew down. So they take a job that is, relative to most other jobs, pretty dangerous, but play up the danger (of human error) for excitement, instead of relying on the personalities to sell the show.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Has anyone seen Pawn Stars on the History Channel? It actually fits being on a channel about history.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Ice Road Truckers and Axe Men and the like LOVE talking about how dangerous poo poo is but the fact of the matter is 90% of the injuries that are even likely to happen are due to the person making a mistake, as opposed to a big wave and a chunk of ice randomly taking your ship and crew down. So they take a job that is, relative to most other jobs, pretty dangerous, but play up the danger (of human error) for excitement, instead of relying on the personalities to sell the show.

Yeah, and Ice Road Truckers started sucking on it's second season when they showed ALL of the same cuts of trucks going into the water. I only watch that show now to clear the dead air while I'm doing other stuff. It's so boring, lately.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Seriously every single promo I saw this season teased something terrible possibly happening. I watched a bit of the first season, but this was ridiculous. Last season was pretty bad about that too. Axemen does it too, but there are at least some strong personalities on the show and sometimes things DO go wrong, even if they don't really end up being a big deal. Plus Aqua Logging father and son team last season was AWESOME.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

timb posted:

Has anyone seen Pawn Stars on the History Channel? It actually fits being on a channel about history.

I actually enjoyed it, but I get the feeling it could quickly devolve into American Chopper style retarded family interaction rather than buying cool poo poo and telling crazy people their crazy worthless stuff is worthless. I really couldn't care less if their old dad needs glasses or making fun of that one employee and there was already way too much of that in the first episode.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I really dig The Colony. Ten weeks is going to be brutal, though, especially with no real food supply. Watching Survivor and those guys try and get through 40 days with food handouts every so often, fish in rivers and ponds everywhere, they still came out skinny as rails in the end. They showed some potted plants, but there is no way that is going to keep 10 people going for seventy freaking days. Could you imagine drinking that piss water for that long?

I was kind of hoping they would reject those four stragglers, and make them set up a rival factory and just throw stones at each others buildings.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

My guess is that they will probably end up with as much food if not slightly more than survivor if they are really doing ten weeks. Alaska Experiment was what? 20ish days? That was pretty brutal given the physical exertion and the lack of food.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Going to be doing my best to stick with The Colony, if I can stick with I Survived A Japanese Gameshow I can ride this out.

I really do hope they have something more intense in the future.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

ToastyPotato posted:

My guess is that they will probably end up with as much food if not slightly more than survivor if they are really doing ten weeks. Alaska Experiment was what? 20ish days? That was pretty brutal given the physical exertion and the lack of food.
They also didn't get producers throwing baby goats into the middle of an LA housing project. Did nobody else notice that part of the promo? They're out scavving for food and some guy just finds a loving goat.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

They also didn't get producers throwing baby goats into the middle of an LA housing project. Did nobody else notice that part of the promo? They're out scavving for food and some guy just finds a loving goat.

Hahaha what? Seriously?

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
I liked how they claimed that they saw no one while crossing the bridge and it was really strange. What did the producers shut down traffic on all nearby highways and close the airpsace in LA? no way they didn't see anyone else in the middle of LA

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Philthy posted:

Hahaha what? Seriously?
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/colony-whats-hot/

Goat.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

I watched "Cronkite Remembers" all drat day and was happy that somebody remembered Walter.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I just saw the newest edition of Deadliest Catch: Behind the scenes and thought about how cool it would be to have like a half-dozen, half-hour episodes per season of After the Catch: Film Crew. With embedded camera men/reporters like that, it would be very interesting to see what they would say. Tell the production crews reactions to the accident on the Wizard, have the Cornelia Marie camera guy "mouse" come onto dry land and tell what he REALLY thought about the whole ordeal after thinking about it on solid ground for a few weeks.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
I digging the colony. I loving love jury-rig based shows for some unknown reason.

I would love to either be on the show or be part of the team that sets it up. This is the most entertaining LARP I've seen.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Burning Beard posted:

I watched "Cronkite Remembers" all drat day and was happy that somebody remembered Walter.

They probably said this on the show, but there probably wouldn't have been a Discovery Channel without him. I saw a crawl during one of the shows I recorded shortly after he passed that had a message from the president of Discovery saying how Cronkite agreed forming the network was a good idea and helped to get them going.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
The Colony, new episode tonight. Nothing earth shattering in the synopsis, but it's spoilered anyways:

Power Struggle - July 28, 2009 With their power supply dwindling, the volunteers attempt to build a generator that runs on smoke from wood scraps. When they scavenge the nearby streets for supplies, they must face off with a motorcycle-riding thug.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Outside of Mad Max for the hell of it, what's the point of motorcycles? They don't need to travel any great distance and the streets are far too narrow and winding to have any advantage in speed. The only thing it does is leave your hands busy so some rear end in a top hat can get a clean strike in with a pipe or 2x4.

I like how all the characters in this are one-dimensional caricatures. There's the gruff alcoholic contractor, the new age Silicon Valley guy, the hard-scrabble Vietnam vet M.E. (hereby named Harold Bloom), and Prison Rape Jones.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jesus christ they're literally breaking crates for supplies.

Exploding barrels in 3...2...

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
jesus christ ahahaha I WONDER HOW LONG THIS CRATE HAS BEEN HERE

IN THIS WAREHOUSE THAT WE ARE BLESSED TO BE IN THAT WAS SET UP SPECIFICALLY FOR US BY DISCOVERY CHANNEL A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
A wood gasifier... Really? Why don't they just wait until one of the Mad Max Motorcyclists comes along, knock them off the bike Akira style and then steal their gas? Seems like the simplest option to me.

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
you've got a bomb here this is deadly

this is a bomb

this is a bomb do not light this this is a bomb

a BOMB

BOMB

IT'S STILL A BOMB

DON'T LIGHT THIS. IT IS A BOMB.

BOMB?

BOMB

edit: bomb

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I know exactly how staged this was, but I'm not gonna say anything! drat LIBRUL EDUMACATED TYPES!

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hawkman posted:

this is a bomb

a BOMB

BOMB

IT'S STILL A BOMB

BOMB?

BOMB

BUT, I know why you failed you stupid engineers.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Clearly he's the smartest person in the world, but will not share his wisdom until he's crowned King of the Wasteland.

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

MrDorf posted:

BUT, I know why you failed you stupid engineers.
i aint tellin though :smug:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Hawkman posted:

this is a bomb

a BOMB

BOMB

IT'S STILL A BOMB

BOMB?

BOMB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOKt1z1TkvU

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is is just me or are the "Experts" they interview talking in the most condescending way possible?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Why are they taking 2.5 hour watches? There are 10 of them, why don't they each just take an hour watch?

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
ahahhahaha

;-*: I'D RATHER HAVE TOILET PAPER THAN POWER
:smug:: greeeeeattt

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Blammo, military commando skills out of nowhere. This guy is going to be hilarious.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Man: The wildest loving animal there is.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Wasn't that the same promo from the end of last week's episode?

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Deadliest Catch
Why did they have a camera on some random boat that we never saw before? When that one boat almost flipped they had a camera on some random boat, which was strange

The Colony

could anyone read the street signs? I really want to know where in LA they filmed this

either this is the most staged show or they found people who knew exactly how to do things and supplied them with the exact supplies

I have never been a big one saying reality shows are staged, but this one is so unbelievable

and from the previews they (spoiled although I doubt anyone cares that much) they build a flame thrower, a 2 wheel bike, solar power!

did they find the people with the most random knowledge, how many computer scientists knows exactly how to filter water and lived in austria and knows how to make combustible gas from wood

leppo
Jul 12, 2003

MrDingleDangle posted:

Deadliest Catch
Why did they have a camera on some random boat that we never saw before? When that one boat almost flipped they had a camera on some random boat, which was strange
Sea Star with Capt. Larry? Its the chase boat that they use to get shots of all the other boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.

MrDingleDangle posted:

did they find the people with the most random knowledge, how many computer scientists knows exactly how to filter water and lived in austria and knows how to make combustible gas from wood

those old school nerds are some of the craziest fuckers I have ever met. No doubt that old dude from IBM already had that knowledge. You are talking about the kind of people that could build a PDP-11 from a handful of capacitors, resistors, and solder. Think about that. They built the first microcomputers as we know them... and you are questioning whether or not they would be aware of how to filter water???

• Locked thread