Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

DFWlly posted:

I'm about to jump into an 07 Wrangler Unlimited with a 6 speed manual and I can't be more excited. I loved the way it drives and it is just so much fun with the top off :smug: It's 2 wheel drive though.... Anyone here care to shed some light on the off-road capabilities of a 2 wheel drive Unlimited? I won't be doing anything extreme, but I'd like to know that if I take a dirt road to a hiking trail I won't be stranded :) It has factory upgraded wheels and tires.

Never driven one, but I do want one to cut down for a pickup :)

I imagine that it won't be much different from any other small truck except for having more weight over the rear wheels. Any idea what gearing they come with? I wonder about putting lockers on a rear wheel drive JK...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Anybody change the spark plugs in a V6 Jeep Liberty before? I'm coming up on the recommended service interval and this will be my first V6 spark plug change.

I can change the plugs in my inline 6 4.0 in about 10 minutes. Please tell me that the Liberty is going to be just as easy. Please.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
The V6 is kind of shoehorned into the Liberty, but a plug change isn't horrible on that engine or even in that engine bay.

Pop off the resonator, unbolt the coils, and it's easy from there. You can even leave the resonator on if you don't mind being squeezed for space.

You'll need a 10mm socket if you don't already have one.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."

DFWlly posted:

I'm about to jump into an 07 Wrangler Unlimited with a 6 speed manual and I can't be more excited. I loved the way it drives and it is just so much fun with the top off :smug: It's 2 wheel drive though.... Anyone here care to shed some light on the off-road capabilities of a 2 wheel drive Unlimited? I won't be doing anything extreme, but I'd like to know that if I take a dirt road to a hiking trail I won't be stranded :) It has factory upgraded wheels and tires.

Wait...they make a version of the JK that is 2wd only??? I'm sure you know all Wranglers are 2wd normally and you have to lock the transfer case into 4wd (either low or high range) to engage the front wheels. Maybe this is a stupid question but are you sure it doesn't have 4wd?? I mean, seriously...what's the point of a 2wd Wrangler?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

323LX posted:

Wait...they make a version of the JK that is 2wd only??? I'm sure you know all Wranglers are 2wd normally and you have to lock the transfer case into 4wd (either low or high range) to engage the front wheels. Maybe this is a stupid question but are you sure it doesn't have 4wd?? I mean, seriously...what's the point of a 2wd Wrangler?

No, they actually make a 2WD version. I don't get it either, but presumably it is for those budget-minded soccer moms who want to look hip but their mall doesn't have those parking blocks, just painted lines.

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.

grzydj posted:

Anybody change the spark plugs in a V6 Jeep Liberty before? I'm coming up on the recommended service interval and this will be my first V6 spark plug change.

I can change the plugs in my inline 6 4.0 in about 10 minutes. Please tell me that the Liberty is going to be just as easy. Please.
I changed the plugs on my Liberty in about a half hour and I'd never changed plugs in a vehicle before. The plugs are deep in the engine, so you'll need some socket extensions. For the back two plugs on the passenger side, you'll either need a swivel joint on your socket/extensions or you'll need to move the coolant bottle. I chose to move the coolant bottle. I undid the two bolts and moved it out of the way without disconnecting the hoses or anything.

EDIT: The recommended plug on the various Liberty forums is Autolite Platinums. Anything else is a waste.

Goob fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 27, 2009

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

Goob posted:

I changed the plugs on my Liberty in about a half hour and I'd never changed plugs in a vehicle before. The plugs are deep in the engine, so you'll need some socket extensions. For the back two plugs on the passenger side, you'll either need a swivel joint on your socket/extensions or you'll need to move the coolant bottle. I chose to move the coolant bottle. I undid the two bolts and moved it out of the way without disconnecting the hoses or anything.

EDIT: The recommended plug on the various Liberty forums is Autolite Platinums. Anything else is a waste.

Great advice. I'll go with those recommendations. Thanks.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

DILLIGAF posted:

I imagine that it won't be much different from any other small truck except for having more weight over the rear wheels. Any idea what gearing they come with? I wonder about putting lockers on a rear wheel drive JK...

Over rough terrain, a 2WD JK with a locked rear would probably be just as capable as a 4WD with both diffs open, but it's just still not right...

Locked rear would be awful in the snow, though.

quote:

I'm toying with trying to do a pop up 15x30 sunroof, I'm just not sure how one would work with the ribs on the roof. Also I'm thinking of a roof rack so those two wouldn't work together so I'm thinking about both options.

I did this in my old Bronco II that had a ribbed roof almost identical to the Jeep hardtop. I just filled the ribs with silicon weatherseal where they meet the sunroof, and it never leaked. What does suck about popup sunroofs is that some will leak around the inner gap seal under a heavy downpour because there's no way to drain it. I haven't seen any that come with drain tubes, but I'm sure they exist. I've been thinking about sunroofing my hardtop, but I got an older one with ribs. The newer ones are flat.

Where did you get that ENDANGERED SPECIES sticker?

incredibull fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 27, 2009

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Reason posted:

I'm looking at economical ways to keep a kayak on my roof. Does anyone know if Yakima Universal Mighty Mounts will work with a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee? Does anyone have any experience with them?

Just get a used set of Yakima/Thule towers and bars. I picked up all my parts off craigslist. Yakima towers/locks for $75, 66" crossbars for $40, and a Thule Frontier cargo carrier for $75, all from different sellers. I saved 300/400 bucks buying used. Also the stock racks are poo poo, a complete aftermarket system is the way to go if you're carrying anything substantial like a kayak.

upsciLLion posted:

What do you guys think of 97+ Cherokees as daily drivers? I'm going to have to start commuting ~40 miles a day soon and am looking for something cheap, reliable, and able to deal with the occasional snowfall in Seattle. Is there anything off-putting (besides the fuel economy) about using them for commuting?

I actually like my Cherokee as a DD, the interior is spartan (especially the SE) but situated perfectly. The armrest, cupholder, radio, climate controls are perfect IMO, I've always said it has the best cupholders of any car I've had haha. It rides a bit bouncy at times on rough roads but you get used to it, it's a 4x4 with solid axles so what are you gonna do. You can improve the ride a bit with suspension mods, I plan on it in the near future. Pretty much the perfect all around vehicle minus the lovely mileage but oh well, better than driving a Civic.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
If you've ever driven anything with a full leaf suspension, the Cherokee will feel like riding on a cloud in comparison. Some softer shocks will make it even more tolerable if need be. I got my '99 last year right before the snowpocalypse and the full time 4WD made driving around stupidly easy, even on the hills with basic AT tires. I made multiple trips up to the passes without a problem as well.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

Where did you get that ENDANGERED SPECIES sticker?

http://www.ufwda.org/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=17417d2ae313b0ce32afd0f4fec7f83e

I suppose the money goes to as good a cause as any. I bought 16.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Im in a similar boat as upsciLLion - Im thinking about getting a Grand Cherokee as a daily driver. Im looking in the 2004 range, 4x4 with the 8 cylinder. Aside from gas mileage, is there anything I should know when going around to look at them? Ive found a few 04s with around 65k-80k miles for about 10k-12k - I would eventually like to stuff a 4" lift under it and take it out on trails once in a while, as well as possibly towing a 20' boat.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp I scrapped the idea of buying a new JK rubicon unlimited. Im going to keep my low mileage XJ and start modding it. Im afraid in a new jeep I'd be afraid of body damage enough that I'd be timid to attempt certain trails around here. With the XJ, if I dent it up, I don't really care much.

I picked up some RE control arm drop brackets with support brackets for $150 cdn total the other day. These would cost somewhere around $450 shipped new from Rubicon Express

Grabbing some 4.88:1 gears and an install kit for the front diff this week for cheap,

I'm unsure still whether I will be doing a D44 rear, or keeping the c8.25.

I'll be putting aussie lockers in the front and rear. It's getting a 6.5" lift, and 35" tires as well.

with some armour underneith I think that will be modded well enough to look cool and take me anywhere I dare to go with it. Then all I'll need is an "H2 recovery vehicle" sticker for the rear.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I have the option for purchasing a manual '88 Cherokee with a broken rear-left door for $1500 (which would be a $60 repair with just buying that door off a broken counterpart) or an automatic '99 Cherokee in perfect condition for $8500 with LPG conversion. I live in Costa Rica so prices are much higher than in the states. There's also a manual '94 for $4700, but I've heard the best years for Cherokees were '88 and '99 (is this true?). I'm a very economically-minded driver so I'd rather have a Manual, and also have in mind a LPG conversion, but the '99 option sounds nice cause I really wouldn't need to do anything to it. Which is the best option of all? All of these are 4.0L AWD i6.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

99 all the way, the interior upgrade alone is worth it IMO. LPG conversion sounds pretty cool too.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
Looking to get new cross-drilled, vented/slotted front rotors for my 2000 XJ to go with some hawk pads for better towing fun.

Anyone recommend a decent brand/site to get them from? I see plenty on ebay but my guess is they are crap.

Edit: From what I'm reading on NAXJA, some people are saying cross-drilled and vented rotors don't make a difference, just get nice Hawk LTS/HPS pads - is this true? Would I be wasting my moneys on these rotors?

fordham fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 27, 2009

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

DFWlly posted:

:smug: It's 2 wheel drive though....

FAIL.

Jeeps are meant to be 4WD. JK owners get enough head-shakes as it is, what with all the fancy options and creature comforts. Get a 2WD and prepare to be mocked mercilessly.

In other news, here's my Rubi near Mt. St. Helens the day after I climbed it:

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I've been looking for new tires for a while now. I'm almost to the wear bars on my goodyear MTRs. They no longer make those and have switched to the new super gently caress you off road kevlar-a-mighty mtr system 5000(tm).

I've agonized over several brands and sizes, then I found this.

http://www.treadwright.com/

I was skeptical at first, and googled the company and found several good reviews. Most of the forum posts had people buying/liking them and people saying retreads were filled with explosives designed to murder your family while they slept. I agonized some more. Finally finding this review:

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=504

That sealed it for me. I've ordered four 245 75 16 MTGs from treadwright for $416 shipped. I figure it will cost around 30 bucks to get them mounted locally.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I've been looking for new tires for a while now. I'm almost to the wear bars on my goodyear MTRs. They no longer make those and have switched to the new super gently caress you off road kevlar-a-mighty mtr system 5000(tm).

I was skeptical at first, and googled the company and found several good reviews. Most of the forum posts had people buying/liking them and people saying retreads were filled with explosives designed to murder your family while they slept. I agonized some more. Finally finding this review:

That sealed it for me. I've ordered four 245 75 16 MTGs from treadwright for $416 shipped. I figure it will cost around 30 bucks to get them mounted locally.

What does this mean?

quote:

The rubber is rated as a 40-60K tread compound.

The warranty is for 24,000 miles which is a bit low. But even at $416 shipped, its still cheaper than buying new ones.

I see the main problem is some of the sizes. :(

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I have wanted a Jeep since I was in high school (10 years ago) and I finally am in a position that I can purchase one, and I'm stoked. I really have my eye on this one:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1295044442.html

Whatdya guys think about that? Decent deal?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

To re-enforce your purchase I've been running the 245/75/r16 ATBs on my GC since December and I will go back to that company next time I buy tires. Seriously amazing service, and an all around good product. Just remember the tires you got are load range E so there going to be heavy as gently caress and have very stiff sidewalls.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

KickStand posted:

Just remember the tires you got are load range E so there going to be heavy as gently caress and have very stiff sidewalls.

That's what the goodyears are that are on now.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Then you should be good :)

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

KickStand posted:

Then you should be good :)

what brand sidewalls did you get?

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

TheJetCityFix posted:

I have wanted a Jeep since I was in high school (10 years ago) and I finally am in a position that I can purchase one, and I'm stoked. I really have my eye on this one:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1295044442.html

Whatdya guys think about that? Decent deal?

See how much it's worth on Edmunds, KBB, and NADA. $6,000 seems high.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

My 1999 Grand Cherokee needs new shocks, but I don't have a lot of money to put really nice ones on. Are the cheap parts store ones one step above nothing? Is there one brand better than the others?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

That's what the goodyears are that are on now.

I think those retreads are ok, They also do Hummer tires for guys who run the military spec rims, and it's harder to find specific types of tires for 16.5" wheels, especially if you want something besides an interco tire. They still make the old style MTR but only f37x16.5x12 and that's a special order item.

I think it's the same guys who refab the tires for Adventure accessories which is a brand used for retreaded MT and MTR tires.

They're decent quality, but they're still goodyears which means they're all slightly out of round.

But if its off road use who cares :)

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 29, 2009

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Doctor Zero posted:

My 1999 Grand Cherokee needs new shocks, but I don't have a lot of money to put really nice ones on. Are the cheap parts store ones one step above nothing? Is there one brand better than the others?

I got some skyjackers on my old YJ, super ride I think is what they call them and they were like 31 dollars each and the ride improved a lot over whatever the poo poo was there previously.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I got some skyjackers on my old YJ, super ride I think is what they call them and they were like 31 dollars each and the ride improved a lot over whatever the poo poo was there previously.

That's a good price point. I'll check those out. Thanks! Apparently they don't make them for the cherokees. :(

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Doctor Zero posted:

That's a good price point. I'll check those out. Thanks! Apparently they don't make them for the cherokees. :(

WTF did Jeep decide to do on shocks for GCs? Only ones I saw available were 72 dollar blistiens.

Oh and I meant superlift super ride.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Grab some Monroe SensaTracs. Same price point, ride nice, lifetime warranty. If you want to spend a couple bucks more, the Monroe Reflex has a nicer ride.

Rancho offers their full line in stock and lifted sizes if you want to go that route, but you're going to spend at least $45 per.

Hell, if you've got a Sears Auto nearby, half the time they're running SensaTracs on Buy 3/Get 1 with free installation.

Edit: Skyjacker has shocks for stock or lifted too.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 29, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Oops.

My info on the retreads was wrong. I asked my tire guy [he is the OEM for a popular brand of off road tires] about Treadwright. I had them mixed up with adventurer / community.

One does remolds and the other retreads, all mtr/mt stuff I was talking about does not come from treadwright.

anonymous tire authority posted:

No, they are not the company that makes the tires for
Lynch, that's Community tire in Chicago.

Also, Community is a remolded tire, not a retreaded tire.

The remolded tire has a new sidewall and tread where the
rubber is replaced from Bead to Bead, but the retreaded
tire has only the old tread buffed off and a new tread put on, with the original sidewall showing.

With as cheap as some of the older MTs are getting i see
no reason to buy a remolded or retreaded tire, and you
can purchase the MTs as used.

I just talked to a guy yesterday who told me he purchased
a lot of 60 MTs for $1200.

Is that cheap or what!!!

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

what brand sidewalls did you get?

Bridgestone

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Molten Llama posted:

Grab some Monroe SensaTracs. Same price point, ride nice, lifetime warranty. If you want to spend a couple bucks more, the Monroe Reflex has a nicer ride.

Rancho offers their full line in stock and lifted sizes if you want to go that route, but you're going to spend at least $45 per.

Hell, if you've got a Sears Auto nearby, half the time they're running SensaTracs on Buy 3/Get 1 with free installation.

Edit: Skyjacker has shocks for stock or lifted too.

What the mother? I looked at shocks on that site and I swear I didn't see all those listed. :( ah well. thanks! I'll look into all those. $45 per is about as high as I can go. Thanks!

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 29, 2009

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I'm curious to know how the new super gently caress you off road kevlar-a-mighty mtr system 5000(tm) is. A lot of people did not like the old MTR's. How are the new ones ? It seems that you don't like them which means you know more about them than me.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I found a set of used (2500 miles) Rubi take off tires on the JKOwners forum.... those 32" Goodyear MTs. All 5 (one new spare) for $350. They are $189 each new. Wasn't going to buy better offroad tires for the Jeep until the ones on there were worn, but at that price, I had to.

The street tires I have on there only have 1300 miles on them, plus they will fit on my wife's Lexus so even if I can't sell them, I now have 5 spares :D

I figure I'll post my current tires up at $100 each, buy 4, get one free and see how long it takes to sell them.

Recoup the cost of the tires I bought plus mounting, or so I hope.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Just washed the Rubi and was reminded why I don't do that. Without all the dirt and mud, the scratches are highly visible on my black paint!!

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
For anyone considering trading their jeep in for the federal cash for clunkers program, consider it carefully.

My wife tried to talk me into it so we went to a dealership to check it out and this is what the paperwork said:

They take your car, title, etc and paperwork proving you've owned it and meet all the requirements of the program. They then drain all the oil from the engine and pour in some other poo poo. The engine is then turned on and run until it seizes. At that point the dealership files for approval to get money for your "clunker". If you are approved, you get your $3500 or $4500 (depending on the new car you bought). If you are not approved, you get scrap value for your car.

I don't know if the paperwork is the same for all dealerships but this is how the process is spelled out at the one I went to.

I recommend against it, Jeeps should not be destroyed in such a fashion. It's blasphemy. And you could get screwed.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

jonathan posted:

I'm curious to know how the new super gently caress you off road kevlar-a-mighty mtr system 5000(tm) is. A lot of people did not like the old MTR's. How are the new ones ? It seems that you don't like them which means you know more about them than me.

I've read nothing but great reviews on the new mtrs. The $202 a piece is what I didn't like, and that was for 245s.

I was looking for the old mtr style and considering getting 3 using my never used spare, which was still going to be ~$600.

These give me the old mtr tread and I get 4 for $416 shipped. _I_ thought the old mtr tread or what I currently have did exceptional off road.

What it boiled down to for me was cost. I know that eventually I will get new wheels and new tires, I needed an good in between set and these certainly fit the bill.

The moab jeeper video is what sold me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fordham posted:

Looking to get new cross-drilled, vented/slotted front rotors for my 2000 XJ to go with some hawk pads for better towing fun.

Anyone recommend a decent brand/site to get them from? I see plenty on ebay but my guess is they are crap.

Edit: From what I'm reading on NAXJA, some people are saying cross-drilled and vented rotors don't make a difference, just get nice Hawk LTS/HPS pads - is this true? Would I be wasting my moneys on these rotors?

Yeah, don't waste money on cross drilled or slotted. If you really want good rotors you can get some that have been cryo treated but they are upwards of $150 a piece.

I just got a set of LTS pads and some $30 rotors from NAPA, it seems like that's the way to go from everyone's experiences. I'll be installing them here soon, and I'll post the results.