Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I think you've basically hit the nail on the head when you say it's more the parents not doing their jobs than it is the kids. Obviously the parents of both babies should've taken the babies out of the church when they started screaming, and obviously the one set of parents should have been prepared to take care of their baby during the reception.

I think the bottom line is, if you as a bride and groom feel that any of your invitees have the potential to be douches about their babies, you might want to consider letting them know firmly that you're not providing a baby-sitter, and hope that they get the hint that they'll have to corral their own kids (and hopefully be polite about it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

demozthenes posted:

My cousin is talking to her boyfriend about marriage and rings, but they are both staunchly against blood diamonds. (Yay!) I'm kind of the family's resident loudmouthed lefty, so she asked me to look up origins of Tiffany's diamonds - he wants to buy her an enviable piece from there, but will buy a rock separately and have them set it if it will ease their consciences.

...and yeah, all of this sounds like corporate BS to me, so enlighten please!

I had noticed the thread about this in D&D and I went and browsed through it for ya. The rules for reading a D&D thread still apply.

The reality seems to be that the kimberly process helps, but laundered stones do get into the system and they all get mixed around so it seems somewhat impossible to tell if your particular stone had blood on it. Depending on how 'loudmouthed lefty' you do want to be, some in there seem to argue that no matter if you buy a canadian diamond or anything no matter what you have blood on your hands (by indirectly keeping prices high for diamonds/other stones). But then again, in buying clothes, buying electronics... no matter what there may be some blood on your hands.

So it's up to you and your comfortability. Tiffany likely can't afford to have the PR nightmare of being found to be buying or encouraging blood diamonds. But, Tiffany may be restricted in how much it can really tell about where all its stones come from.

I myself was comfortable buying a real mined stone. You yourself may not be.

If you are not, you may want to look into moissanite, which is cheaper than diamonds and just as if not more shiny

http://www.moissanite.com/retail_locator/
http://www.moissaniteco.com/

etc.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

demozthenes posted:

she asked me to look up origins of Tiffany's diamonds - he wants to buy her an enviable piece from there, but will buy a rock separately and have them set it if it will ease their consciences.

Tiffany will not set an outside diamond in their rings. I have always been amazed at the secondhand diamonds we see with Tiffany paperwork. There are better options if you care about quality.

You'll probably never find a public listing of where Tiffany sources their diamonds, but I believe that the majority of them come from a mine in either South Africa or Lesotho. Neither of those countries is currently at war so they would not be classified as blood diamonds.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
We finally had our shower this weekend and holy loving poo poo I feel guilty about how many gifts we got. It's a very awkward feeling getting gifts from 40~ random people, I feel like I should be spending an entire day with each one of them as a way of saying thank you.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees
Have any of you ever needed to un-invite someone from your wedding? I'm really having trouble deciding what to do here about a certain situation and I'm not sure how bad it has to be before you can justify un-inviting someone. :(

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

maso posted:

Have any of you ever needed to un-invite someone from your wedding? I'm really having trouble deciding what to do here about a certain situation and I'm not sure how bad it has to be before you can justify un-inviting someone. :(

I've never uninvited someone to a wedding, but I have been uninvited before. I took it well - my friend told me, I didn't hold it against him, even though I really wanted to see him get married as he is one of my best friends. I knew his fiance didn't want me there and that it would put a damper on her day and I didn't want that for either of them. Even though I don't like her at all, I'm not mean spirited. In this case, I was just a friend though. I could see it causing more waves if you're uninviting a family member that most of the family likes and would stand behind. Also realize it will hurt the relationship of whoever you uninvite, unless it's a one sided uninvite and you just paint your fiance as the bad guy.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Well unfortunately I don't think this is the sort of un-invite where the person would be understanding. The situation is a pain and I don't want to deal with it but if this person comes it is likely that they will be inappropriate, and try to make another couple that's attending (this person's ex-significant other) uncomfortable. I don't think there's a place for that sort of nonsense on a day we want to just celebrate with our friends. I guess I'm just afraid of the inevitable drama llama bomb to follow if I decide not to send them an invite.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Beware of Hug Ninja. Trespassers will be hugged.

maso posted:

Well unfortunately I don't think this is the sort of un-invite where the person would be understanding. The situation is a pain and I don't want to deal with it but if this person comes it is likely that they will be inappropriate, and try to make another couple that's attending (this person's ex-significant other) uncomfortable. I don't think there's a place for that sort of nonsense on a day we want to just celebrate with our friends. I guess I'm just afraid of the inevitable drama llama bomb to follow if I decide not to send them an invite.

Sounds like it would be a drama bomb either way, invited or uninvited. Ultimately, it's your wedding, your big day, and if they're likely to cause trouble on it or fight you over it, they're probably not worth inviting in the first place. Unless the drama llama bomb from not inviting them would be from a group of family or friends and not just the one uninvited person. In that case, the best thing to do would be weigh the pros and cons and invite accordingly.

Operatic Diva
Oct 29, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Hey everyone I found my dress!!!!

Simone Carvalli

I read that they aren't a very good designer! Can someone tell me why? Or your experiences?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Invitation critique ahoy:

We are having our wedding on Easter (didn't realize when booking; good thing no one is religious) for lunch in a nice cabin in Berkeley. I am planning to only send 1 card and have people RSVP online. The back of the card will have RSVP instructions, our website, dinner entree selection (steak or vegetarian gnocchi). The bottom left flower is not aligned, but I don't know what else I should add to the card to make it better.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I love those invitations, and honestly, I wouldn't add anything. Adding ribbons, etc., will detract from the simple elegance of the invitation.

Before you decide to do online RSVP only, are you sure that everyone will be able to do it? When my husband and I were setting up our registries, we were going to do online only, but we got feedback from both sides of our family that it wouldn't be very cool for some of the family members, particular the older ones.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Fire In The Disco posted:

I love those invitations, and honestly, I wouldn't add anything. Adding ribbons, etc., will detract from the simple elegance of the invitation.

Before you decide to do online RSVP only, are you sure that everyone will be able to do it? When my husband and I were setting up our registries, we were going to do online only, but we got feedback from both sides of our family that it wouldn't be very cool for some of the family members, particular the older ones.
Yay, thanks :D

We are doing separate dinners in Taiwan and Cleveland for our grandparents and extended family, so the only people attending the main event will be parents, aunts and uncles, and friends. We will be calling family so I think that will be okay. I never thought of that for the registries, but then I'm used to money as wedding gifts... Oh well we'll confirm with our parents about the online thing.

My other question is when to send the invitations. Books and magazines list it at 8-10 weeks but some of our friends and family are flying so I was planning to do it end of September. Is that way too early?!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
We did ours way earlier than 8-10 weeks-- we sent ours around six months before the wedding, and then we sent "Save the Date" magnets around 3 months before, to remind the folks who had forgotten to RSVP. :D

maso
Jul 6, 2004

jomiel posted:

My other question is when to send the invitations. Books and magazines list it at 8-10 weeks but some of our friends and family are flying so I was planning to do it end of September. Is that way too early?!

Yes. We sent save-the-dates 6 months beforehand, and our invitations are going out this month, 2 months beforehand. That way I think you're bound to get a more accurate RSVP among other things.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
The invitations are very simple and nice - I like them a lot. One very small suggestion: it doesn't say anything about it being a wedding on the front. You might want to add wording that suggests that it's more than a shindig you're hosting.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Gravitee posted:

The invitations are very simple and nice - I like them a lot. One very small suggestion: it doesn't say anything about it being a wedding on the front. You might want to add wording that suggests that it's more than a shindig you're hosting.
Haha that's what my parents said too. I thought getting the card itself would be obvious...

Thanks for the timeline suggestion, maso and Fire in the Disco!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

jomiel posted:

Haha that's what my parents said too. I thought getting the card itself would be obvious...

Thanks for the timeline suggestion, maso and Fire in the Disco!

If it had wedding bells or rings on it, yes it would be obvious. But if I didn't know you were getting married, that could be an invitation to a cute party.

Even if you just do something like:

"Miss Jomiel & Mr. Jomiel
are tying the knot/getting hitched/combining their lives"

it will be more obvious that it's a wedding invitation.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Just wanted to share these shoes I ordered with you girls, I think they are hilarious and amazing and can't wait to wear them. :)

http://www.zappos.com/product/7446304/color/3530

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores
My shoes:

I'm afraid that I'd trip and fall on my rear end if I wore anything but tennis shoes.

So my wedding is in three/four days and I am freaking the gently caress out. My fiance is being worked like a mule at his job, so I'm running around trying to do last minute poo poo and get the apartment clean for his family (all of his family is three states away). I haven't been able to sleep more than five-ish hours for the past week, even with my ambien. My doctor gave me ativan and atenolol for stress for the week of the wedding (I have SAD but don't really take anything for it), but I've been holding off on it. Definitely think tonight's the night I start popping a few ativan.

I thought planning was the worst part, but now I see the worst part is really where everything comes together and the world laughs at you because you forgot _____.

Any last words of wisdom? :suicide:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yes-- chill out, and accept into your heart the realization that there is no such thing as a big event that goes off completely and utterly without a hitch. Really internalize it; it'll make it easier for you to roll with the punches when the hitch does occur, and still be a gracious and happy bride.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

Just wanted to share these shoes I ordered with you girls, I think they are hilarious and amazing and can't wait to wear them. :)

http://www.zappos.com/product/7446304/color/3530

I love them. Please tell me you're dyeing them some awesome bright color.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

GoreJess posted:

I love them. Please tell me you're dyeing them some awesome bright color.

Haha no, though it might be fun to turn them lime green after the wedding... I am going to have my toenails painted blue for the "something blue," though. :)

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Welp - our wedding is officially 2 monthes away as of Saturday and everything is planned, all I need to do is buy our booze with the Special Occasions Permit (Ontario).

I ended up getting my groomsmen each a tie with a colour that suits their personality, I put them each in a black box with tissue paper accompanying a cigar for the wedding day. I think it will go over nicely.

We are now in the process of setting up month-out consultations as well as planning for our engagement photo shoot (which we won at a wedding show). The problem is the photographer has rescheduled at least 4 times and now our engagement photos are only going to be a month before the actual wedding :P.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Hey guys,

Just want to give an update on my situation as well as a formal review of a great place a got my ring from.

JohnnyRnR was able to get me a great ring that I found at Jared's for both higher quality clarity as well as color. Significantly in fact. While at the same time keeping it the same price of what I would have gotten at Jared's. As well he went step after step farther to be sure that this ring was the absolute best for what I was paying for. He went out of his way to make it GIA certified as well as get a quality diamond.

I was very skeptical, buying a diamond from a complete stranger on the internet, but it turned out fantastic.

I would highly recommend going to him to see if you are getting a good deal as he was very knowledgeable and I will be open to any references you would like from me.

I have gotten nothing but extremely surprised compliments from the people (mostly women of course) I have shown. I will definitly be going to him for my wedding ring.

http://www.johnnybrookheart.com/

This weekend I am going to propose on the beach. With a seashell which says "Will You Marry Me?" under it. It will be fantastic.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Sup proposing-this-weekend buddy?

Johnny helped me out a ton as well, although I ended up finding the perfect ring in a local mom-n pop store. I pick up the finished product Friday, and will be asking on Saturday.

I'm extremely nervous even though I know what her answer will be. I'll post a trip report, hopefully with pictures.

ucmallory
Jun 23, 2005
How did you guys go about narrowing down vendors? The traditional routes just aren't working for me...

1. I tried asking relatives/friends/etc, but all of them either went with routes that I don't care to take (i.e. silk flowers instead of getting a florist like I want), or took way more expensive routes than I want to take. There's no one who has done a wedding in my price range or along the same lines as what my fiance and I are planning.

2. I tried scoping out vendors on boards such as TheKnot or OneWed, but I'm from and getting married in WV, and most people there don't bother posting any vendor reviews on these boards. I found a few, but not anything really helpful.

3. I tried scoping out websites, but infuriatingly, many of them either do not have a website or have one with incredibly few information on it (I have a feeling this goes back to it being WV and alot of small businesses just don't see the greatness and usefulness of the Web yet).

Thus, I'm stuck. I don't know what to do aside from calling and visiting umpteen florists, bakers, caterers, venders, etc. Surely there has to be a better way; to top it off, I'm living out of state currently so it's making it even harder.

Have any of you been in a similar situation? How did you deal with it? Even more helpful, anyone here get married around the Charleston, WV area and have vendors they want to recommend? :sigh:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

ucmallory posted:

How did you guys go about narrowing down vendors? The traditional routes just aren't working for me...

1. I tried asking relatives/friends/etc, but all of them either went with routes that I don't care to take (i.e. silk flowers instead of getting a florist like I want), or took way more expensive routes than I want to take. There's no one who has done a wedding in my price range or along the same lines as what my fiance and I are planning.

2. I tried scoping out vendors on boards such as TheKnot or OneWed, but I'm from and getting married in WV, and most people there don't bother posting any vendor reviews on these boards. I found a few, but not anything really helpful.

3. I tried scoping out websites, but infuriatingly, many of them either do not have a website or have one with incredibly few information on it (I have a feeling this goes back to it being WV and alot of small businesses just don't see the greatness and usefulness of the Web yet).

Thus, I'm stuck. I don't know what to do aside from calling and visiting umpteen florists, bakers, caterers, venders, etc. Surely there has to be a better way; to top it off, I'm living out of state currently so it's making it even harder.

Have any of you been in a similar situation? How did you deal with it? Even more helpful, anyone here get married around the Charleston, WV area and have vendors they want to recommend? :sigh:

Did you try looking at weddingwire.com? I didn't find the Knot or OneWed very helpful for vendors, but weddingwire had a lot of reviews that you can find by vendor type in a given area. You can also search for your ceremony/reception site, see who reviewed that and then see what other vendors they used and reviewed. Their wedding website software is pretty nice too.

In addition to weddingwire, whenever I find a company I want to check out, I just run it through google maps and that will usually list reviews that are on yelp and other review sites.

I'm doing my planning out of state as well, so I just took to 1) writing off people who didn't have nice websites or 2) emailing them and telling them I'm out of state. The ones who make accomidations for me (like phone consultations) I inquire into more than the ones who ignore what I actually email and just tell me to schedule an appointment.

ucmallory
Jun 23, 2005

Kiri koli posted:

Weddingwire.com and Advice

This is great advice and that website actually helped me find a pretty good baker that I had never heard of! Thanks!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

ucmallory posted:

My husband bought my engagement ring from Amazon.com, no joke. And it's awesome, awesome, awesome. It came quickly, and is gorgeous. He bought from this guy.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

ucmallory posted:

I'm also planning my wedding from out of state and was faced with a lot of similar problems. Have you nailed down any of your vendors yet? Ceremony or reception site? I found a huge resource for us was to ask vendors as we found them who they would recommend for things we still needed done. They were able to recommend lots of people we wouldn't have otherwise found who were in our price range and we knew would work well with the vendors we had already nailed down.

ucmallory
Jun 23, 2005

Kitten Kisses posted:

I'm also planning my wedding from out of state and was faced with a lot of similar problems. Have you nailed down any of your vendors yet? Ceremony or reception site? I found a huge resource for us was to ask vendors as we found them who they would recommend for things we still needed done. They were able to recommend lots of people we wouldn't have otherwise found who were in our price range and we knew would work well with the vendors we had already nailed down.

We've got the ceremony site chosen, as well as the photographer. We have it narrowed down to two reception sites, but other than that everything is pretty much up in the air. I hadn't thought to ask the vendors themselves who they recommended! Thanks!

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Bardlebee posted:

This weekend I am going to propose on the beach. With a seashell which says "Will You Marry Me?" under it. It will be fantastic.

I planned on doing pretty much the exact same thing in september when I propose. Do tell how it is recieved. How do you plan on hiding the shell ahead of time or do you plan on just pulling the shell out of your beach bag?

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
Anyone have opinions on moissonite? I was thinking of upgrading my wife's ring (currently a .67 carat marquis cut diamond) and figured for 20% of the cost of an equivalent diamond I could get her a 2+ carat moissonite.

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!
Anyone have any experience with non-traditional wedding locations? My fiance and I are casually starting our wedding planning now, but aren't too frantic since we're about 10 months out (date is June 26, 2010). We are on a small budget (~$1000 total for everything), so golf courses, country clubs, hotels, and what not are not something we're considering. We're having a very casual ceremony/party and are frugal people to begin with, so this no problem for us.

Anyway, so far we've looked into multi-purpose rooms that can fit our ~50 guests at local YMCAs and a nearby library (which has awesome architecture and a little art gallery inside, so really quite nice). It's right in our budget and seems to fit our needs well enough. Anyone have a wedding in a place like this? Do you have any advice?

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005

Emilar posted:

Anyone have any experience with non-traditional wedding locations? My fiance and I are casually starting our wedding planning now, but aren't too frantic since we're about 10 months out (date is June 26, 2010). We are on a small budget (~$1000 total for everything), so golf courses, country clubs, hotels, and what not are not something we're considering. We're having a very casual ceremony/party and are frugal people to begin with, so this no problem for us.

Anyway, so far we've looked into multi-purpose rooms that can fit our ~50 guests at local YMCAs and a nearby library (which has awesome architecture and a little art gallery inside, so really quite nice). It's right in our budget and seems to fit our needs well enough. Anyone have a wedding in a place like this? Do you have any advice?

Have you looked into community gardens as well? I just attended a wedding at one and it was lovely. The plants were there, so little need to spend on flowers and afterwards we had a picnic!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

The Jizzer posted:

Anyone have opinions on moissonite? I was thinking of upgrading my wife's ring (currently a .67 carat marquis cut diamond) and figured for 20% of the cost of an equivalent diamond I could get her a 2+ carat moissonite.

My engagement ring is moissanite, and I absolutely adore it. I posted a little bit above this post about the Amazon shop my husband got it at, and he had great service from the guy. My ring is super-duper sparkly, gorgeous, and absolutely perfect. Mine's 1.5 carats, and for my smaller hands, I think it's perfect. Here's a picture of my hand wearing my ring, right after he proposed:

One of the best parts about my ring being moissanite is that I can go into detail about how cool the stone is, how it's conflict-free, how it was discovered here in AZ, and so on if I want to-- or I don't have to. It looks so much like diamond that it doesn't matter either way, although I admit I love educating people on it!

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

Zealous Abattoir posted:

Have you looked into community gardens as well? I just attended a wedding at one and it was lovely. The plants were there, so little need to spend on flowers and afterwards we had a picnic!
Thanks for the tip! We live in the desert (Las Vegas), so community gardens don't really exist here, but when I googled it, the Springs Preserve (a local historical site) came up, which I wouldn't have thought of at all! I'm not sure if they allow weddings, but I'll look into it. We'll probably still have to have an indoor location for the reception because it'll be miserably hot here at that time of year, but who knows, the Springs Preserve might have something inside too.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

I just want to say that I totally underestimated how much TIME it takes to make your own invitations. I think it will be worth it when I'm finally done, but my god.

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

maso posted:

I just want to say that I totally underestimated how much TIME it takes to make your own invitations. I think it will be worth it when I'm finally done, but my god.
I'm with you on that. I just recently settled on the template (after spending at least 2 hours finding a stupid font we can both agree on...:bang:) and have barely even started constructing the actual things, and I can already tell its going to take a lot of hours. At least the whole thing, envelopes and all, only cost ~$20!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

Um yeah. At this point, I wish I had just found the extra $300 & just ordered them online. I am really tired of cutting paper & feeding things through the printer.