Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Ferrinus posted:

a very good question and one that no one (you know of) is in position to answer. i mean, how often would you get to test it

there are rumors of all sorts of crazy awakenings, like someone who died and self-resurrected upon coming back or whose bodies literally disappeared from the real world during the ordeal or w/e, but good luck sifting the truth from the hearsay

so there isn't even a canon answer for it? drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

so there isn't even a canon answer for it? drat

not that i (or perhaps, not that you???) know of

mages who've actually pondered the question have theorized things like

-your soul wanders the realm forever as a lonely ghost
-you return to the real world as a ghost mage with your complement of starting arcana
-the exarchs cackle with glee and draft you into their armies of damned souls
-demons/fae/beasts/etc. literally eat you
-it's the abyss that eats you
-it is impossible to die during an awakening because of Supernal Destiny or something

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

-you return to the real world as a ghost mage with your complement of starting arcana

somebody make a ghost mage

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
i'm going to make you a ghost mage

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

i'm going to make you a ghost mage

ferrinus no :(

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

*finally stands up from workbench, turns around to hand ghost mage to nicolae* there you are!

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

so how's this game been going what do you guys do anyway

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Gul Banana posted:

we get poo poo done completely

Ferrinus posted:

*finally stands up from workbench, turns around to hand ghost mage to nicolae* there you are!

oh ferrinus he's wonderful

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Gul Banana posted:

The Tough Seer Fighters

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Gul Banana posted:

We climb up tall places. Then! we fall off them. Usually something blows up.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

more like you Fall off them

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

this world...it's so corrupt... (because some combination of the abyss and the exarchs prevents mankind from being constantly terrorized by devils and behemoths and poo poo 24/7)

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Ferrinus posted:

some combination of the abyss and the exarchs prevents mankind from being constantly terrorized by devils and behemoths and poo poo 24/7

The fiends! We have to stop them!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

*Beast, Demon, Fae, and Shade are summoned in series of further catastrophes, they and Angel manifest in times square to play a game of poker*

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

*Beast, Demon, Fae, and Shade are summoned in series of further catastrophes, they and Angel manifest in times square to play a game of poker*

i never really thought about how each supernal realm has its own characteristic entity

isn't there some theory that the abyss has five twisted versions of the supernal realms with five anti-watchtowers

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

there is, although what precisely an "abyssal watchtower" is and whether anyone actually awakens at one (and how precisely someone awakened by the abyss could do magic when the abyss is the negation of magic) are rarely specified in a coherent manner by theorists

it's the sort of thing that large swathes of the mage community don't bother to think about but you just know mystagogues and maybe thearchs have really venomous debates over

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Meanwhile, Paul Archimedes just walks into a fuckin wall. Over and over again

forever

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

gahahah gently caress you crion *plays literal cartoon character in your serious changeling game* *never lets you play mage ever*

also,

i think i went overboard making tombheart all drawn and haggard looking :kiddo:

i'd really love to hear how closely your guys' image of your characters match my doodles, incidentally. if you have anything you want changed around or played/up ignored you should tell me

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
just as as an aside, when did you settle on the collar-popped look

because that collar is more popped than dracula;s

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

tombheart's seen some poo poo, so it's okay if he looks haggard

crimson's nose looks like she needed to get a transplant to replace it and the only thing they had available was an elf ear, though. long and pointy.

also this is a roleplaying game, ferrinus, why doesn't crimson have a super huge chest with only a little tiny leather top. i don't think you're taking this genre very seriously.

quote:

i'd really love to hear how closely your guys' image of your characters match my doodles, incidentally. if you have anything you want changed around or played/up ignored you should tell me

i like your matryoshka better than my mental image of him actually. he's a little bulkier and more well-built when you draw him than when i think of him, but that's awesome. he needs to be graying more around the temples though.

speaking of mental images of characters, i may have done myself a disservice when taking inspiration for dietrich krieger from GTA4: no matter how hard i try to correct myself, i can't help but imagine his dialogue with niko's serbian accent instead of a german accent

Nicolae Carpathia fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 29, 2009

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Tombheart posted:

just as as an aside, when did you settle on the collar-popped look

because that collar is more popped than dracula;s

i really don't know. what do you think tombheart wears

tombheart's seen some poo poo, so it's okay if he looks haggard

crimson's nose looks like she needed to get a transplant to replace it and the only thing they had available was an elf ear, though. long and pointy.

i basically decided to have crimson's profile vaguely resemble that of the wicked witch of the west, so pointy nose and pointy chin

quote:

also this is a roleplaying game, ferrinus, why doesn't crimson have a super huge chest with only a little tiny leather top. i don't think you're taking this genre very seriously.

because thats her secret identity

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

oh yeah, with regards to the Burning City closer game for vox, trenchfoot, branigan, dammitwho, and possibly anyone else i'm forgetting (solomon...??) i'll probably run it around 9 or a little later. feel free to show up before then but i'll probably be away

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

i really don't know. what do you think tombheart wears

tombheart seems like the kind of guy who wakes up in the morning, grabs the first black skull t-shirt and pair of jeans he sees, smells them, and slips them on

not because he's lazy but because he's tombheart

quote:

i basically decided to have crimson's profile vaguely resemble that of the wicked witch of the west, so pointy nose and pointy chin

hm, yes, make the only female character resemble one of hollywood's most famous and hated witches. way to go, ferrinus. how's that pua training working out for you. hit any good negs yet.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

oh yeah, with regards to the Burning City closer game for vox, trenchfoot, branigan, dammitwho, and possibly anyone else i'm forgetting (solomon...??) i'll probably run it around 9 or a little later. feel free to show up before then but i'll probably be away

i will show up to watch, at least

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
idk thats fine

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Tombheart posted:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

there is, although what precisely an "abyssal watchtower" is and whether anyone actually awakens at one (and how precisely someone awakened by the abyss could do magic when the abyss is the negation of magic) are rarely specified in a coherent manner by theorists

maybe abyssal awakened would do magic in the style of paradox, or they would simply channel the basic sense of the abyss into their magic

i mean, even if the abyss is anti-Supernal-magic, it still can still manifest some sort of supernatural power, as evidenced by the abominations and intruders that come from it

mages are supreme, of course, but it's not controversial to point out that there are other sources of magic in the nwod, from theban sorcery to hedge mages

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mages are supreme, of course, but with this power the Lucifuge can

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

gahahah gently caress you crion *plays literal cartoon character in your serious changeling game* *never lets you play mage ever*

also,

crimson...

i tend to think of her as one part hipster one part street musician virtuoso and one part gypsy fortuneteller which is a look you have essentially nailed imho. maybe take that bandanna from around her neck and just put it over her hair and see how it looks some time.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 30, 2009

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

but with this power the Lucifuge can choose to stop playing for no good reason whatsoever and get into bitter arguments with the st

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

but with this power the Lucifuge can choose to stop playing for no good reason whatsoever and get into bitter arguments with the st

that's not a lucifuge power, not even Satan himself can be that bitchy

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I would think abyssal mages would behave in a way where rather than shaping reality using their will they would try to pull over abyssal manifestations using that will. Mechanically it'd be the same thing (have paradox be reality resisting incursions) but thematically it's all ooga booga New Physics and poo poo

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The dark mages waves his hands and incantates! Suddenly, the number nine begins to take on a sinister aspect...

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
imagine tombheart as looking like that guy you know who listens to a little too much metallica

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

a man of ill repute posted:

imagine tombheart as looking like that guy you know who listens to a little too much metallica

you mean any metallica

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
yah

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

crossroads are still the coolest intruder

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I'm really tempted to read the Seers book just because I'm really curious about their structure and lore after seeing them in action. But I have sworn not to read any adversary books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Read the Horror Recognition Guide! It's too awesome not to and doesn't actually explain aaaaanything. Also a Zeka.