Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Hootie Hoo posted:

I'm really hoping that etherlords makes it to GOG at some point...

They're both on Impulse already, so I'm not sure they'd get the GOG treatment.

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hootie Hoo
Nov 13, 2008

by angerbot

Merrill Grinch posted:

They're both on Impulse already, so I'm not sure they'd get the GOG treatment.

woah... I never knew!

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I'm having a lot of difficulty downloading Descent 1 + 2 using Firefox, and I'd prefer not to download their installer.

+ Nevermind, biting the bullet. Tough to get a 500 MB file in one go.

++ And now I can't login, even with the correct info. What's going on here

ThatsMyBoye fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 29, 2009

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Their installer doesn't install anything for itself. It just installs the game.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
You know what Good Old Games needs to get?

Fuckin' Anachronox, that's what.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
You know what game also needs a sequel?

Fuckin' Anachronox, that's what. One of the best PC games ever.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
GOG Twitter account confirms that Lords of the Realm is released tomorrow.

Edit: Also Lords of the Realm II.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 29, 2009

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

FuriousGeorge posted:

You know what Good Old Games needs to get?

Syndicate? :v:

Seriously, please... :(

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Blodskur posted:

Edit: Also Lords of the Realm II.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

and that's a buy.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Machine posted:

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

and that's a buy.

Here you go! http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/lords_of_the_realm_royal_edition/

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

Charlie Mopps posted:

Some of the turn-based strategy games like Disciples 2 or Jagged Alliance would work. Or maybe an adventuregame like Broken Sword.

Disciples II has been entertaining me for some hours now, recommended for anyone wanting a straight forward strategy-light turnbased game.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

xarph posted:

Syndicate? :v:

I've been itching for some Age of Wonders lately

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

drat, I loved Lords of the Realm back in the day, but by the time I had a PC able to play the sequel I had long forgotten it. Bought.

Now to go watch my grain stocks get eaten by rats again and again and again and....

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
I've never played LOTR but i'm intrigued by it. Does it only consist of scenarios or is there some sort of free build or skirmish mode thingy in it?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Gamersgate has The guild gold edition for a bit less then 3 euro's at the moment, which is a bit cheaper than the 9.99 Gog.com asks for it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Charlie Mopps posted:

Gamersgate has The guild gold edition for a bit less then 3 euro's at the moment, which is a bit cheaper than the 9.99 Gog.com asks for it.

I can't speak for the Gamersgate version, but the GoG version is wrapped really well. Despite reports that it can be buggy, I've only had it crash on me once. I would get an opinion on how the GG version works considering the games infamous buginess.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just got an email telling me that Toca 3 and Colin McRae 2005 will no longer be available to download at the end of August and October, respectively.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

royallthefourth posted:

Just got an email telling me that Toca 3 and Colin McRae 2005 will no longer be available to download at the end of August and October, respectively.

That also includes all of their additional content too, so you should download that while you're at it.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Did they ever give any reason for getting rid of them in the first place?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hairball posted:

Did they ever give any reason for getting rid of them in the first place?

The licensing agreement with the publisher expired and they couldn't agree on a renewal.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

royallthefourth posted:

Came here to post about this. Here's the full e-mail:

Good Old Games.com posted:

Dear GOG.com Customer,
Thank you for purchasing TOCA Race Driver 3 and/or Colin McRae Rally 2005 from GOG.com.

As we announced on GOG.com, TOCA Race Driver 3 and Colin McRae Rally 2005 had to be removed from our games catalogue as per our licensing agreement with Codemasters. Due to some expiring licenses within the games, Codemasters is obliged to withdraw copies of TOCA Race Driver 3 and Colin McRae Rally 2005 from all sales outlets within a certain time period, which includes GOG.com and its servers.

This means that the games won't be available to re-download from your GOG.com account as of August 29th 2009 (TOCA Race Driver 3) and October 29th 2009 (Colin McRae Rally 2005). We know it would be ideal for these games to be available for re-download forever and we're working on this, however we kindly ask you to download the games and back them up on CDs, DVDs or flash drives.
Sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

GOG.com Team

Gonna put this in the OP too. This really sucks because I like the Steam-esque "unlimited downloads anytime, anywhere". Looks like I have some backup DVDs to make for Colin and TOCA. =/

TOCA 3 is still on Steam, too. I wonder if it'll get pulled from there as well.

Somec
Jul 15, 2006

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I've never played LOTR but i'm intrigued by it. Does it only consist of scenarios or is there some sort of free build or skirmish mode thingy in it?

Yes it has a free build mode. You can think of the Total War series as a spiritual successor to LOTR - turn based strategy with battle mode as RTS.

*edit*
from what I can remember, you can't just have a battle mode... but I may be mistaken, it's been years since I've played

*edit 2*
Just installed, there's a skirmish mode for battles only in LOTR 2 :) (none for LOTR 1)

Somec fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 30, 2009

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

The licensing agreement with the publisher expired and they couldn't agree on a renewal.

It's not the publisher, it's the car manufacturers.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Charles Martel posted:

TOCA 3 is still on Steam, too. I wonder if it'll get pulled from there as well.
It might be a regional thing too, with Steam still able to offer it because the licensing is still valid in North America, but GoG has to pull it because it's expired in Poland, or something like that.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
That blows re: TOCA 3. My current rig is definitely getting creaky and I know I'll be replacing it probably next year; it sucks that I have to archive the game's installer myself.

That said .. signed up for mozy.com last month (unlimited online backup) so I can just download the installer, point the mozy client at it, and let Amazon S3 store it for as long as I keep using mozy.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Hahahah, I figured there was going to be a shitstorm on their forums because of this, and sure enough, there's a thread about this problem that's at three pages and counting with gems such as this:

Oldski from GOG posted:

We're sorry things have turned out this way. There was no intention to mislead anyone, and the reason we didn't tell you earlier is really that we were hoping to have this resolved before the time came.

quote:

Now this I have a problem with. You mean to say that you knew, but you hoped to have it fixed? You've always been honest with us, what the hell were you thinking? Serious breach of trust, GOG!

His emphasis, not mine.

How DARE you breach our trust, GOG! Even though you gave us the latest versions of 2 high-quality racing games for $5 each without the wholly loving retarded STARFORCE protection on them along with a nice collection of extras, you still dropped the ball! How can we trust you again?! I, for one, am not please by this turn of events! Blah Blah Blah Nerdrage Blah Blah Blah...

One guy even went so far as to demand that if they were taking those games off of their servers to let him exchange them for 2 other games free of charge. :lol:

Just back the loving games up to a few blank DVDs and be thankful you don't have to get around STARFORCE anymore. It's an isolated incident; it's not the end of the world. Jesus, people.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The ignorant also tends to be the loudest. It's unfortunate that GOG has to deal with them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To be fair, I don't really understand how any licensing agreement can make it so people who already bought a game can no longer access it ever. Steam doesn't do this, I don't think any game they have has been permanently removed from their service, even the games no longer for sale. Every game they've ever had is still downloadable by people who bought them.

It's kind of lovely that it wont be the case for GOG.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I like GOG a lot and I appreciate that their balls are in a vise, but the terms the games were sold under were that the game would be redownloadable from the purchaser's account in perpetuity. To change that later seems questionable, even if it's not their fault and it's easy to work around.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

To be fair, I don't really understand how any licensing agreement can make it so people who already bought a game can no longer access it ever. Steam doesn't do this, I don't think any game they have has been permanently removed from their service, even the games no longer for sale. Every game they've ever had is still downloadable by people who bought them.

It's kind of lovely that it wont be the case for GOG.

It probably has something to do with the lack of DRM. Publishers are probably afraid that if they pull the license and the game is still available for DL that people that had purchased the game would be more likely to "pirate" it or just hand a copy off to their friends. It seems like just a pitfall of totally DRM-free games.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

guppy posted:

To change that later seems questionable, even if it's not their fault and it's easy to work around.

Is it though? From the way I'm seeing the situation, Codemasters is enforcing this type of thing because the copyrights from the car manufacturers said so and Codemasters can't do anything about it, and GOG really doesn't have a choice in the matter either. I guess they could file a lawsuit to keep the games up, but that wouldn't be very wise and put the entire service in jeopardy all because a few people on the forums can't burn a few game files to a few DVDs. I'm just glad to have the games and don't see how this is a big issue. I just think it's silly because the GOG Team offers a great service, yet isolated things like this are going to happen, and people are bitching, whining, moaning, and groaning at them about something they have no control over.

Now if this started happening all the time to most games on the service, well, I think that's something to get legitimately pissed off about.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Charles Martel posted:

Is it though? From the way I'm seeing the situation, Codemasters is enforcing this type of thing because the copyrights from the car manufacturers said so and Codemasters can't do anything about it, and GOG really doesn't have a choice in the matter either. I guess they could file a lawsuit to keep the games up, but that wouldn't be very wise and put the entire service in jeopardy all because a few people on the forums can't burn a few game files to a few DVDs. I'm just glad to have the games and don't see how this is a big issue. I just think it's silly because the GOG Team offers a great service, yet isolated things like this are going to happen, and people are bitching, whining, moaning, and groaning at them about something they have no control over.

Now if this started happening all the time to most games on the service, well, I think that's something to get legitimately pissed off about.
Yeah, it's not that big a deal as a one-off and I'm not suggesting people stop using the service or anything. But this all should have been worked out beforehand and people should have been warned.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

And aren't they giving people 2-3 months notice on this? Jesus gently caress how retarded can you be.

I for one am thankful I bought a large external HD recently. I've been putting all the installer packages on that so I never have to re-DL them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Overwined posted:

And aren't they giving people 2-3 months notice on this? Jesus gently caress how retarded can you be.
And you see how that's not the same as warning them before the purchase? Fuckin' A, it's like talking to a wall.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Overwined posted:

I for one am thankful I bought a large external HD recently. I've been putting all the installer packages on that so I never have to re-DL them.

Same here, I did it because I didn't want to have to download 3GBS of data again. Too bad they are pulling the game off of our accounts, but at least I have the game and no STARFORCE to deal with.

If all else fails, I'm sure some pirate has uploaded the GOG version on to the torrent sites already. :v:

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

guppy posted:

Yeah, I like GOG a lot and I appreciate that their balls are in a vise, but the terms the games were sold under were that the game would be redownloadable from the purchaser's account in perpetuity. To change that later seems questionable, even if it's not their fault and it's easy to work around.

If they can't make a contract that lets users download the game forever, then don't make the contract.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

^^^ How the hell can anyone know that? Jesus the site would have ZERO games in it if they only put games in that they were 100% sure would be there forever.

guppy posted:

And you see how that's not the same as warning them before the purchase? Fuckin' A, it's like talking to a wall.

No it IS the same. You still get the game in perpetuity if you aren't a loving moron. I'm sure they were sitting around a boardroom table when they signed the initial contract saying "Should we inform them that we're eventually going to pull this? Nah, it's fun watching nerds with no ability to cope vent on the internet."

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Overwined posted:

No it IS the same. You still get the game in perpetuity if you aren't a loving moron. I'm sure they were sitting around a boardroom table when they signed the initial contract saying "Should we inform them that we're eventually going to pull this? Nah, it's fun watching nerds with no ability to cope vent on the internet."

And your hard drive dies? Or the dvd you backed it on to gets scratched? Then you're out of luck. poo poo can happen even if you aren't a complete moron.

Honestly, if it was in the contract to begin with that they can't continue serving the game if they stop selling it, then they should warn the user, instead of telling us that we'll be able to download it forever. It makes me wonder how many other games we could lose forever that they aren't telling us about. It's really irresponsible of them.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Overwined posted:

^^^ How the hell can anyone know that? Jesus the site would have ZERO games in it if they only put games in that they were 100% sure would be there forever.

Then make it 10 years. Clearly the other games on their site don't have the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Are we going through this bullshit again? It's in the TOS you agreed upon registration that games might just not stay there. If it's not, then sue them or shut up.