Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Scarf posted:

Actually... you may want to instead try some Rotosound TruBass 88 tapewounds. I found them to be much more "woody" sounding when I had them.

Can't go wrong with either though, imo.

What about plain 'ol palm muting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jan posted:

What about plain 'ol palm muting?

Not always convenient. Especially if you're doing some more complicated stuff.

Palm-muting is more of a temporary "I'm gonna throw in a few little upright sounding licks here" type of thing imo. If he's looking for a more long-term solution, I'd say foam mute + tapewounds.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Cathab posted:

Thanks man. Would you be able to post an example of an EQ that's modified to boost the bass? I've not had any experience with EQs at all and have no idea where to start.

Actually my evaluation ran out so I can't post a screenshot right now :sigh:

It has a bunch of presets, though...you can bring up a screen with different options, like pitch shift, speed, and EQ. On the EQ screen there's a list of options and one of them is "bass select", which boosts the bass and seems to muffle everything else.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I'm going to once again shamelessly post an instruction I originally put on Talkbass. This one has to do with developing your timing:

So when I first started playing, my teacher noticed that sometimes my timing would speed up or slow down or sometimes not even be on at all, so he had me practice with a metronome. First on all beats, then with the click on 2 and 4. This was all well and good but then I noticed that I tended to lean on the click a little too much. It seems that if the drummer didn't play the snare or high-hat on 2 and 4, or if I had to play for a long stretch where the drummer drops out, my timing would suffer.

So I developed this exercise to test one's timing, and I guess rein it in somewhat as well. You need a drum machine or a sequencer and essentially what you do is to set it up with patterns that are not so predictable. For example, in the file below, you have a count-off and then it plays a click on 2 and 4 for four bars. Then it drops out for a bar and comes back in. Is your timing still in place? Did you speed up or slow down? Then it drops out for two bars before coming in. Then eventually it drops out for four bars before coming back in. And then things get switched and sometimes the click will only play on beat 4 or beat 3, etc.

The point is to get the practicing to a point where you develop your own internal sense of timing. What do you think - good idea or no? Try the file below (it's at 120 bpm) with a walking bassline or a riff that you like and see what you think.

Clicks at 120 bpm
Clicks at 60 bpm
Clicks at 180 bpm

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

Actually my evaluation ran out so I can't post a screenshot right now :sigh:

It has a bunch of presets, though...you can bring up a screen with different options, like pitch shift, speed, and EQ. On the EQ screen there's a list of options and one of them is "bass select", which boosts the bass and seems to muffle everything else.

How bizarre. My EQ doesn't have that option. Just the EQ, no presets. :saddowns:

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
Hay guys one of the volume knobs on my bass is loose and although it still works its really annoying. Is it something i can fix or should I take it into a shop?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Dundee McFluffers posted:

Hay guys one of the volume knobs on my bass is loose and although it still works its really annoying. Is it something i can fix or should I take it into a shop?

the pot, or just the knob itself?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

PenguinBob posted:

Is it just loose? You can tighten it.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

PenguinBob posted:

This is really embarrassing but I don't know how to tell which is loose. The knob jiggles if I move around and I can't tell what volume its on because the little indicator piece is also loose and spins around the knob if you flick it.

buttslave fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 2, 2009

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

This is really embarrassing but I don't know how to tell which is loose. The knob jiggles if I move around and I can't tell what volume its on because the little indicator piece is also loose and spins around the knob if you flick it.

That almost definitely means the knob is just loose on the pot's post. There should be an itty-bitty allen setscrew (or in some cases flathead) that you can tighten down to solve that problem.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

Indi86 posted:

That almost definitely means the knob is just loose on the pot's post. There should be an itty-bitty allen setscrew (or in some cases flathead) that you can tighten down to solve that problem.

The only screws I can see exposed are pick guard screws :(

If it helps I have a Ibanez Jet King

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

The only screws I can see exposed are pick guard screws :(

If it helps I have a Ibanez Jet King

http://www.harmony-central.com/ProductImages/Large/000029061.jpg

If your knobs are like those, and don't seem to have a set screw on the knob itself, pop the knob off the post of the potentiometer. it should pretty much pull right off, or with a little bit of leverage (Gentle screwdriver under it. GENTLE). With that off, you'll see the pot secured to the pickguard by a nut and maybe a washer.

Just tighten that nut down nice and tight, and if you're feeling frisky put a tiny drop of BLUE loctite on the threads. with that, put the knob back in the position of your choosing, and you should be ready to rock.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

Indi86 posted:

http://www.harmony-central.com/ProductImages/Large/000029061.jpg

If your knobs are like those, and don't seem to have a set screw on the knob itself, pop the knob off the post of the potentiometer. it should pretty much pull right off, or with a little bit of leverage (Gentle screwdriver under it. GENTLE). With that off, you'll see the pot secured to the pickguard by a nut and maybe a washer.

Just tighten that nut down nice and tight, and if you're feeling frisky put a tiny drop of BLUE loctite on the threads. with that, put the knob back in the position of your choosing, and you should be ready to rock.

Badass. Thanks.

PANDAmonium
Jan 12, 2008

I've been playing bass for a while now, and I play on a peavey microbass III bass amp. Its a great practice amp and gets the job done when I play with my guitarist, but when adding in drums on top of that I am getting way to drown out. The thing is only 20 watts, and while if I put it through my distortion pedal it can keep up I need a new amp. However, I'm a bit tight on cash so I was wondering if I can use the external speaker jack in back to just hook it up to a speaker rather than buying a whole new amp, and if that would be cheaper. It says its a 4 ohm minimum load if that changes anything. I'm not too experienced on amps.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PANDAmonium posted:

I've been playing bass for a while now, and I play on a peavey microbass III bass amp. Its a great practice amp and gets the job done when I play with my guitarist, but when adding in drums on top of that I am getting way to drown out. The thing is only 20 watts, and while if I put it through my distortion pedal it can keep up I need a new amp. However, I'm a bit tight on cash so I was wondering if I can use the external speaker jack in back to just hook it up to a speaker rather than buying a whole new amp, and if that would be cheaper. It says its a 4 ohm minimum load if that changes anything. I'm not too experienced on amps.

Watts are watts... You're not going to get much more than 20watts by hooking up an external speaker. Best case scenario is that you're currently 20watts at 8ohms, then by adding another 8ohm cabinet you can get down to 4ohms, but that'd only bump you to 40watts.

Heatmonger
Dec 1, 2007

Ja we ist der supermen
Super-duper supermen
FYI guys I am selling 2 pretty nice basses on SA-Mart. Check it out Here if you are interested. Thanks!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I've got a pretty stupid problem. The callous on my right hand fingers always comes off after a few days, so my fingertips are constantly sore. We train every week with the band at least once and I try to play at least and hour or two every day at home, so I don't have any long breaks from playing. Anyone else have this problem? I don't want to move to pickstyle since I've never really played that way and frankly I think it's kind of gay :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dyna Soar posted:

I've got a pretty stupid problem. The callous on my right hand fingers always comes off after a few days, so my fingertips are constantly sore. We train every week with the band at least once and I try to play at least and hour or two every day at home, so I don't have any long breaks from playing. Anyone else have this problem? I don't want to move to pickstyle since I've never really played that way and frankly I think it's kind of gay :)

I asked a nurse-friend of mine once about how I could get my callouses to last longer. She said that having dry skin/being dehydrated could cause them to peel off more easily.

Also, are you using super bright strings? You might just need to decrease your attack a bit... turn up your amp a bit and pluck a little softer.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Has anyone got any experiences with AXL basses? I'm looking to buy a n entry level bass in the next few weeks, and at the moment I'm tossing up between and AXL Badwater vintage bass and an Epiphone SG EB0

e: I'd like a fairly all round bass, though am most interested in classic rock/bluesy kinds of sounds like Zepplin and CCR

Bobby_Wokkerfella fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 11, 2009

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Recently got myself a bass amp and I'm wondering, what's a good EQ setup for a hard rock sound? It uses a 7 band EQ.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

Has anyone got any experiences with AXL basses? I'm looking to buy a n entry level bass in the next few weeks, and at the moment I'm tossing up between and AXL Badwater vintage bass and an Epiphone SG EB0

e: I'd like a fairly all round bass, though am most interested in classic rock/bluesy kinds of sounds like Zepplin and CCR

No experience with AXL, and nothing about the EB-0 is "all-around." I think you're better off heading over to https://www.rondomusic.net and looking for a good jazz bass or p-bass.

I'd go for this (and probably take the pickup covers off just for convenience and ease of playing).
http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb62ct.html

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 11, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

cat doter posted:

Recently got myself a bass amp and I'm wondering, what's a good EQ setup for a hard rock sound? It uses a 7 band EQ.

What's the make and model? Different amps have different characteristics, so depending on what it is, the changes to the EQ may be different as well to achieve that kind of sound.

Typically I'd say boost the mids and MAYBE the highs just a tad.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

If you must go with a SG bass, at least get an EB3. The EB0 only has the neck pickup, which while it remains my favourite sound (especially with overdrive), is anything but versatile. At least the EB3 gives you a bridge pickup to add some treble to your sounds.

Also, the long-scale SGs have a particularly bad neck dive problem, which isn't very fun to contend with when just starting to learn posture.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Not strictly a bass question, but since it's the reverse of what usually gets asked I'm going to throw it in here anyway...

I'd like to try my hand at guitar after playing bass, but I only have a cheapish Marshall combo bass amp. Would there be any risk to plugging a guitar through a bass amp? The only "danger" I can think of is of it sounding real muddy. Considering I can play some CDs through the line in designed specifically for this purpose, it doesn't sound very risky.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

Jan posted:

If you must go with a SG bass, at least get an EB3. The EB0 only has the neck pickup, which while it remains my favourite sound (especially with overdrive), is anything but versatile. At least the EB3 gives you a bridge pickup to add some treble to your sounds.

Also, the long-scale SGs have a particularly bad neck dive problem, which isn't very fun to contend with when just starting to learn posture.

Whilst I'd like to go with the EB3, its over twice the price of an EB0 (and if I was going to spend that much, you bet your rear end I'd be walking out with a Thunderbird IV), after doing a bit of listening I'm liking the sound of the EB0 enough to want to commit, and whilst I've yet to hold one, will the neck dive affect me all that much considering I'm a fairly solid 6'3?

To give a few other options in my price range (300-400AUD)
Ibanez SR200, Squire Affinity P-Bass, Yamaha RBX170, Squire Bronco

Anything jump out as being heads and shoulders above the SG?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

3toes/Scarf is still right in that the EB-0 is *not* an "all-around" instrument. The EB-3 is slightly more versatile which is why I suggested it, but both are still heavily biased towards good old rock. If you do like the sound, more power to you though.

Anyhow, neck dive will happen no matter how tall you are. Getting a very large strap will help, but the way the neck strap pin is located as well as the smallish body will still cause it to lean down a bit.

I've seen people recommend Ibanez SR's for starter basses over and over. Couldn't tell ya if they're "head and shoulders" above though. The Squiers, not so much.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Squier affinity series is not really worth it at all imo. If you go for a squier, you'd need to pop for the Vintage Modified series.

Otherwise I say go for an SX as previously mentioned.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll try out the Ibanez and SG when I go into the store tomorrow, apart from a bass and an amp, what else should I be walking out of there with?
I'm thinking some picks to play around with, a bag and strap for the bass, one of the books mentioned in the OP if available, and an electronic tuning aid? Sound alright?

e: also, the SG at the shop is short scaled, what does that mean?

Bobby_Wokkerfella fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 12, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

e: also, the SG at the shop is short scaled, what does that mean?

Scale length is the distance between the Nut and the Bridge on a bass (or guitar for that matter). Standard scale length is 34" on a bass, and short scale is usually 30.5". Short scale basses are usually a bit easier to play for people with smaller hands. Also, due to shorter and usually less-tense strings, they have a more rounded sound on the upper register. But along the same lines, they are usually muddier on the low-end.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Two particularities concerning the SG and scale:

1. Short-scale SGs have a bit less neck dive. But even the short-scale Gibson EB-3 I tried out felt off-center.

2. Long-scale SGs still have the thinner neck of a short-scale.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

To give a few other options in my price range (300-400AUD)
Ibanez SR200, Squire Affinity P-Bass, Yamaha RBX170, Squire Bronco

Anything jump out as being heads and shoulders above the SG?

Give the Ibanez SR200 a chance! Those basses are light, have a thin quick neck, and you can dial-in all kinds of tones with the P/J pickups. I've had mine for eight years and I still enjoy playing it. Granted, mine started falling apart after a couple of years, but that just forced me to learn about bass maintenance. :D

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

Welp, guess who just placed an order for an Ibanez SR200....

Didn't mind the SG, but as soon as I got my hands on the Ibanez it was sold, the neck felt just right, the fit and finish was above par for its price, and lots of other small things that lead to love at first sight.
Guy at the store said it should take 5-10 days to come in :ohdear:

Also picked up a Dark Side of the Moon songbook, and the Bass exercises book in the OP.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Jan posted:

Not strictly a bass question, but since it's the reverse of what usually gets asked I'm going to throw it in here anyway...

I'd like to try my hand at guitar after playing bass, but I only have a cheapish Marshall combo bass amp. Would there be any risk to plugging a guitar through a bass amp? The only "danger" I can think of is of it sounding real muddy. Considering I can play some CDs through the line in designed specifically for this purpose, it doesn't sound very risky.

Just quoting myself because I think this got overlooked.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jan posted:

The only "danger" I can think of is of it sounding real muddy.

You're right. Depending on the sound you're going for, it may be just fine.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Scarf posted:

What's the make and model? Different amps have different characteristics, so depending on what it is, the changes to the EQ may be different as well to achieve that kind of sound.

Typically I'd say boost the mids and MAYBE the highs just a tad.

It's an Ashton (Aussie brand), just a typical sort of cheap bass amp. Uses a 15" celestion tuvox (I think that's it) and sounds pretty good for for roughly AUS$700.

Battery in the Out
Oct 7, 2006

by The Finn
Bass was the first instrument I ever learned how to play. And to this day, and I'm sure you can guess this if you read that thread I made and listened to my music, I'm not very good.

But hey, I try?

That's gotta count for something, right?

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Attention basscadets: Squarepusher has a new live record coming out called simply "Solo Electric Bass 1" and that's pretty much what it is, a bunch of awesome tracks just played with a bass (abit 6 string) and an amp.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Jan posted:

Just quoting myself because I think this got overlooked.

You'll be just fine.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
So here in the barracks I have my Ibanez acoustic/electric so I don't have to play amped and annoy everyone. It's loads of fun, but it's really hard to place my fretting fingers on the high end of the neck. Any suggestions for hitting frets 15 and higher on an acoustic?

(Yes, I'm aware I could play my electric through the amp into headphones, but something is dicked up with the wiring and I haven't had a chance to get it fixed yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
so has this been posted here yet?

because uh