Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Grawl posted:

Are we going through this bullshit again? It's in the TOS you agreed upon registration that games might just not stay there. If it's not, then sue them or shut up.

Oh gently caress off. People are allowed to say "I don't like that, you should prevent it from happening again" even if it's perfectly valid and they signed an agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Oh gently caress off. People are allowed to say "I don't like that, you should prevent it from happening again" even if it's perfectly valid and they signed an agreement.

No, it's not valid at all. I'm not going to give you the arguments, since you're absolutely thick. Just think about it.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Grawl posted:

It's in the TOS you agreed upon registration that games might just not stay there.
This is the appropriate passage, right?

GOG TOS posted:

Termination These Terms of Use are effective until terminated. You agree that GOG may terminate your log in access to the Service, including your user name and password, at any time for any reason without prior notice or liability. GOG may change, suspend, or discontinue all or any aspect of the Service at any time, including the availability of any feature, without prior notice or liability.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Ohvee posted:

This is the appropriate passage, right?

So they even gave notice about it going to happen, without having to do so.

Stop crying and just back the game up people. Twice, so you don't lose your precious game you'll never touch. Do you even have it to begin with?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Ugh, Valve is loving us again! :argh:

Buying the gently caress out of the LOTR pack. I was expecting just 1 and 2 separately, but both together is loving awesome for $6. And I've never played 1, so that'll be a trip.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If I scratch my 360 disk then I need to buy a new game. If I burn a GOG on a CD that they no longer offer, then it's still my fault. I don't see a problem with this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreenNight posted:

If I scratch my 360 disk then I need to buy a new game. If I burn a GOG on a CD that they no longer offer, then it's still my fault. I don't see a problem with this.

The problem is that you should be able to redownload, since that's the entire point of digital distribution. But whatever, this discussion is already over.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Grawl posted:

No, it's not valid at all. I'm not going to give you the arguments, since you're absolutely thick. Just think about it.

Ah yes, I'm absolutely thick for thinking that people have the right to say "That kind of sucks" if something like this happens.

You're an rear end in a top hat. Don't bother replying to me.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Ah yes, I'm absolutely thick for thinking that people have the right to say "That kind of sucks" if something like this happens.

You have a right to complain when a hot coffee of Starbucks falls into your lap, or when you got a speeding ticket, or when you're 5 minutes late and the bank is indeed closed. It still doesn't mean you need to.

So did you even own these games? You never got back to me on that. Nevermind -- You're an rear end in a top hat. Don't bother replying to me.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 31, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This is a discussion thread, about this service. Within, we discuss things relating to the service, good or bad.

Jesus Christ, you're insufferable.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is a discussion thread, about this service. Within, we discuss things relating to the service, good or bad.

Jesus Christ, you're insufferable.

When there's nothing interesting to talk about, people talk about this. Just watch the Steam topic.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Grawl posted:

You have a right to complain when a hot coffee of Starbucks falls into your lap, or when you got a speeding ticket, or when you're 5 minutes late and the bank is indeed closed. It still doesn't mean you need to.

So did you even own these games? You never got back to me on that. Nevermind -- You're an rear end in a top hat. Don't bother replying to me.

I own one. You are a oval office.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

SwissCM posted:

I own one. You are a oval office.

You mean GOG.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Grawl posted:

You mean GOG.

No. You are a oval office.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

SwissCM posted:

No. You are a oval office.

Well ok then we got that settled. :downs:

Let's discuss games now.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Grawl posted:

Well ok then we got that settled. :downs:

Let's discuss games now.

I do own the games, and you're a oval office. I don't think you have the right to act like one and then try to get the last word in.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

I do own the games, and you're a oval office. I don't think you have the right to act like one and then try to get the last word in.

You're angry at GOG, not me. Now calm down, back the games up and stop your whining.

I own them too V:downs:V

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

You will be able to download it again, they are just removing them from their market place.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Fantastic, now we've devolved into "YOU'RE A oval office! ... NO U!"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And your hard drive dies? Or the dvd you backed it on to gets scratched? Then you're out of luck. poo poo can happen even if you aren't a complete moron.

Honestly, if it was in the contract to begin with that they can't continue serving the game if they stop selling it, then they should warn the user, instead of telling us that we'll be able to download it forever. It makes me wonder how many other games we could lose forever that they aren't telling us about. It's really irresponsible of them.

They told us we would be able to download it forever because they didn't think it was going to come to this, but since Codemasters is forced to do that, and as a result, GOG is forced to do that, it's reluctantly being done so far, yet people are up GOG's rear end as if they took the games off their server today for shits and giggles when they're really trying to come up with a solution, but nobody cares because they can't be bothered to back up 2 games because of a freak accident. :argh: BLARGH BLARGH GOG DIDN'T KEEP THEIR WORD RAHHHHH :argh: The car manufacturers copyright or even Codemasters are to blame, not GOG.

Also, if you back up a game to an external hard drive, burn a copy to a blank DVD or two, and burn ANOTHER copy to DVDs and put them on a shelf for storage, it's not very likely at all that you're going to lose all 3 at once, unless you have a weird compulsion to take a shower with your hard drive, or take your DVD collection to the park for a healthy game of frisbee. I have DVDs I backed up 6 years ago that still work perfectly.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 31, 2009

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bleusilences posted:

You will be able to download it again, they are just removing them from their market place.

No, you won't be able to re-download them, which is why people are pissed.

Of course, people are over-reacting tremendously, and backing the games up isn't much of an issue, but the complaint isn't entirely without merit either.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

sethsez posted:

but the complaint isn't entirely without merit either.
It's in plain English in their Terms of Service, though. That's something everyone agrees to when they sign up for an account.
Of course, this is one of those arguments that will NEVER end.

der bruder
Jul 9, 2007

Eat My Phở
Part of this whole mess is that Colin McRae isn't even an old game :I

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Ohvee posted:

It's in plain English in their Terms of Service, though. That's something everyone agrees to when they sign up for an account.
Of course, this is one of those arguments that will NEVER end.

When the big print says "re-download as much as you want forever" and the fine print says "you may not be able to re-download as much as you want forever" people are always going to get upset when the latter occurs. GOG definitely covered their asses legally, but it's understandable why some people aren't inclined to care about that.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

sethsez posted:

When the big print says "re-download as much as you want forever" and the fine print says "you may not be able to re-download as much as you want forever" people are always going to get upset when the latter occurs. GOG definitely covered their asses legally, but it's understandable why some people aren't inclined to care about that.
That's true. I definitely remember when I was waiting to get invited before they opened up the site that it promised that the games would be available forever.
I just did a quick check of the site and it looks like they must have silently changed that. I didn't see any trace of that kind of statement.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Ghrist a Gaylord!! posted:

Part of this whole mess is that Colin McRae isn't even an old game :I

It's almost five years old. That's like "one Blizzard title" in game years.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Machine posted:

It's almost five years old. That's like "one Blizzard title" in game years.

TOCA 3 (which expires first) is even newer.

But regardless, you can't budget for licence agreements. Be glad you bought it from here and not Steam, when they remove it you'll eventually be hosed thanks to DRM.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Well, I just emailed them about making Colin McRae Rally 2005 and TOCA Race Driver 3 compatible with Window 7's Games Explorer and they confirmed that they can't keep them and they won't update them. They're still trying to get Operation Flashpoint back to their catalogue.

It's a bit annoying that they're not going to fix them, they did say in a prior email that they'll get round to doing the rest of their games whenever Windows 7 is officially released.

Example of the problem:

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 31, 2009

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
I thought something awesome must have been released due to all the new posts but it's just a bunch of posts arguing about some boring car games.

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 31, 2009

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

sethsez posted:

No, you won't be able to re-download them, which is why people are pissed.

Of course, people are over-reacting tremendously, and backing the games up isn't much of an issue, but the complaint isn't entirely without merit either.

Sorry, I though it would have been like when alien shooter 2 was not available on the market place anymore. Even if it wasnt out there, I still had it.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

The Machine posted:

Ugh, Valve is loving us again! :argh:

Buying the gently caress out of the LOTR pack. I was expecting just 1 and 2 separately, but both together is loving awesome for $6. And I've never played 1, so that'll be a trip.

I just started playing Stronghold again so i'll be picking this up as well. I'm on my Middle Ages kick again.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Lets go, Bob. You and I are going to possess the hell out of these douches once again.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Whether or not it's in the TOS or you can back it up or whatever, games being removed even for payed customers seriously puts a damper on my enthusiasm for this service. At least on Steam even if a game is taken down, I still have it on my account if I bought it first, for example Alien Shooter Vengeance.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Then don't buy it.

Vote with your wallet if it bothers you that much.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Then don't buy it.

Vote with your wallet if it bothers you that much.

Except that the people this affects are people who already bought it

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Jetsetlemming posted:

Whether or not it's in the TOS or you can back it up or whatever, games being removed even for payed customers seriously puts a damper on my enthusiasm for this service. At least on Steam even if a game is taken down, I still have it on my account if I bought it first, for example Alien Shooter Vengeance.

It's the tradeoff for no DRM, pure and simple. With Steam if your internet connection breaks you can't play any of your games. With GoG if someone gets squirrelly about their license you lose the ability to DL it. Don't act like Steam can be more free and unfettered than GoG. They both have their limitations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Except that the people this affects are people who already bought it

Then they can burn it to a CD, as I have already said. They're getting a heads up on it.

Overwined posted:

It's the tradeoff for no DRM, pure and simple. With Steam if your internet connection breaks you can't play any of your games. With GoG if someone gets squirrelly about their license you lose the ability to DL it. Don't act like Steam can be more free and unfettered than GoG. They both have their limitations.

This is exactly why I'll never use steam. My gaming PC doesn't have an internet connection.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Overwined posted:

Steam's limitations don't bother me. Apparently I'm that rare sort of PC gamer that always has an internet connection available on his computer :iiam:
I liked GOG for being cheap and old, not for no DRM. I don't give a poo poo about DRM unless it goes out of its way to stop me from using a program or utility, glitch out and prevent the game from running, or run out of installations with no way of getting them back.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Jetsetlemming posted:

Steam's limitations don't bother me. Apparently I'm that rare sort of PC gamer that always has an internet connection available on his computer :iiam:
I liked GOG for being cheap and old, not for no DRM. I don't give a poo poo about DRM unless it goes out of its way to stop me from using a program or utility, glitch out and prevent the game from running, or run out of installations with no way of getting them back.

I understand where you're coming from, but honestly just because Steam hasn't pulled anything yet doesn't mean they won't because of weird contractual poo poo, which is exactly what this is really all about. I mean Amazon just pulled a book title from people's Kindles (1984 for those that didn't read the thread or the news) after they had already bought it! These things happen and are probably unavoidable.

My point is that the no-DRM thing is probably what caused the contract to fall through. The publisher realized that there was no way for them to control the license if people could still download the title.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ohvee posted:

That's true. I definitely remember when I was waiting to get invited before they opened up the site that it promised that the games would be available forever.
I just did a quick check of the site and it looks like they must have silently changed that. I didn't see any trace of that kind of statement.

Add a game to your cart. It says it over on the right:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Overwined posted:

I understand where you're coming from, but honestly just because Steam hasn't pulled anything yet doesn't mean they won't because of weird contractual poo poo, which is exactly what this is really all about.
Alien Shooter: Vengeance got pulled from Steam because of poo poo between the developer and their publisher, does that count? (and then replaced with Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded, which is a rebalanced version of the same game, and was also given out free to anyone who had bought AS:V)