Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's closer in size to the Accord and Camry now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

CharlesM posted:

It's closer in size to the pretty much an Accord or Camry now, visually.

Fixed that for ya

:sigh:

Where'd the Subaru ugly go?

kaws!
May 25, 2008

c355n4 posted:

Well, we found out what happened. Crank bearing 1 and 2 are shot and it looks like 3 overheated. Doesn't seem like anything else got damaged. Next step is to decide what to do in order to fix this. My gut reaction is to rebuild the engine with upgrades that keep within the rules for EMRA. Cost effective? No.

The shop is going to price me out a few options. And I'll make the call.

How very annoying. Would you be able to find a short block cheaper and install that?

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
Legacy GT owners:

I drove one today (my girlfriend is still looking for a car) and the steering wheel controls on both sides both controlled the tiptronic, is this normal? it seems like it shouldn't be like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well I don't know how it is on the Legacy, but manufacturers have it in two different ways. The left paddle downshifts, the right panel upshifts(or vice versa); or, the paddles on one or both sides can be pushed in two different directions, forward for upshift, back for downshift (and vice versa again). Is that what you're asking?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So I'm currently in Sydney.
I really, really want the ROW legacy bumpers, and i don't believe in cosmetic mods.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

nm posted:

So I'm currently in Sydney.
I really, really want the ROW legacy bumpers, and i don't believe in cosmetic mods.

The front won't fit on the stock USDM architecture; you've got to get a new bumper beam. The rear requires you to either take out the rear bumper beam or reshape it.

They do look mighty fine, though. :cool:

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

TurboLuvah posted:

Ok, so I just changed the transmission/front diff fluid with a 50/50 mix of Redline Lightweight Shockproof and Motul Gear 300 75w90. The rear with Valvoline 75w90.

Hooooly poo poo. ...

Can I ask where you acquired these?

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

CharlesM posted:

Well I don't know how it is on the Legacy, but manufacturers have it in two different ways. The left paddle downshifts, the right panel upshifts(or vice versa); or, the paddles on one or both sides can be pushed in two different directions, forward for upshift, back for downshift (and vice versa again). Is that what you're asking?

Well they aren't paddle shifters, they're just standard up/down buttons that look like they should control audio.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

whereismyshoe posted:

Well they aren't paddle shifters, they're just standard up/down buttons that look like they should control audio.

Oh hmm. Weird

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I don't suppose anyone has an access port for a 2005 WRX/9-2x 2.0 liter that they want to unload :v:

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

so I've been looking into upgrading my WRX a bit and I'm curious as to what people generally regard as good starting points for upgrading a stock model. For reference, it's a 2003 WRX, right now I'm thinking about installing a kartboy short throw shifter, and I was wondering if anyone has used them. They seem pretty highly regarded on nasioc and the other dedicated subaru forums, but I'm curious if anyone here uses one or has anything to say regarding them. I'm also thinking about a K&N cold air intake, but that's a bit further off, and I'm also looking for advice regarding those, or really anything else that would be a good start point for modding or whatever you wanna call it.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
In case anyone in the area is interested, there is a cruise. If you would like to go send me a PM, or if you're too poor/cheap to have PMs, I guess just reply here.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I have a pretty noticeable clunking/loud clicking in my steering especially when turning hard especially especially when in first gear. It seems to also be more likely to happen if its hot. My power steering fluid reservoir also went lower than it should have been but not empty but when I refilled it didn't improve. It just got noticeably bad today which involved lots of 70mph+ driving as I drove from Florida to Virginia. Is this a common 02 WRX problem? Any guesses so I might notice some spots to focus on when I jack it up. I am hoping that I'll be able to replicate it by jacking it up and turning the wheel.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

so I've been looking into upgrading my WRX a bit and I'm curious as to what people generally regard as good starting points for upgrading a stock model. For reference, it's a 2003 WRX, right now I'm thinking about installing a kartboy short throw shifter, and I was wondering if anyone has used them. They seem pretty highly regarded on nasioc and the other dedicated subaru forums, but I'm curious if anyone here uses one or has anything to say regarding them. I'm also thinking about a K&N cold air intake, but that's a bit further off, and I'm also looking for advice regarding those, or really anything else that would be a good start point for modding or whatever you wanna call it.

I use a Kartboy SS + bushings on my 2002 WRX, and it was one of the best modifications I've ever made to this car. Skip the CAI. It will make your MAF sensor hate you and your car will run like poo poo. If you absolutely MUST run an intake of some kind, get a Cobb short-ram intake. However, you will gain almost no power from this. It's merely for sound and looks. Instead, save up for a full exhaust (downpipe + catback), a catless up-pipe, and either an Accessport or Open-Source tune. Do not buy a blow-off valve. Your stock one is fine.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

RealKyleH posted:

I have a pretty noticeable clunking/loud clicking in my steering especially when turning hard especially especially when in first gear. It seems to also be more likely to happen if its hot. My power steering fluid reservoir also went lower than it should have been but not empty but when I refilled it didn't improve. It just got noticeably bad today which involved lots of 70mph+ driving as I drove from Florida to Virginia. Is this a common 02 WRX problem? Any guesses so I might notice some spots to focus on when I jack it up. I am hoping that I'll be able to replicate it by jacking it up and turning the wheel.

Not CV Joint clunking?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

Skip the Kartboy (even though they're good quality), and go with a double adjustable shifter from this guy so you can tailor the length and the throws to exactly how you want them.

http://www.ixizconcept.com/ (ixizShift II)

Get front shifter bushings as well, makes a good difference as well.

For mods, grab a catless up pipe, a catless downpipe, and if you want a turboback exhaust, and get a tune or an Accessport. The car will be transformed. Like it has been said, stay away from intakes and BOVs, you don't need them.

RealKyleH posted:

I'm pretty sure this is not a common WRX problem, how loud is the clicking? Could be an axle on it's way out, CV joints make loud clicking noises when they're toast.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Ive never heard one going bad before but that was my first thought when I heard it. Its loud enough that Id be embarrassed if I had someone in the car.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Jamal or anyone else that would care to comment, I have a particularly hosed situation.

When deciding to do a 2.5 swap into my bugeye I decided on a Forced Performance HTA68 turbo, now maybe someone forgot to mention it but are these only designed for 2.0 liter engines or something? The lower coolant hardline doesn't have enough clearance from the engine block, my mechanic (Paul @ DBtuned in Sacramento) is thoroughly annoyed with it. The first time it broke was 200 miles after the install, the line was clearly smashed into the block until there was major cracking leading to a coolant leak. I ordered a replacement part from FP which they sent for free, paul and I determined that we wanted some insurance on the clearances and flattened out the offending bend that was compromising the clearance.

Tonight, I'm taking my girlfriend home and my temp starts climbing, I instantly knew what it was and a brief inspection under the hood confirmed my suspicions. While our modification to the part helped prevent the issue immediately it just prolonged the inevitable by 800 more miles (engine is up to 1200 miles now). My mechanic has been comping me the work hours so far fixing this ridiculous problem that has nothing to do with the work he's done and everything to do with the turbo manufacturer. My mechanic doesn't have any real solutions he can offer me, do you have any options other than swallowing the cost of a new turbo?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Can you/your mechanic slice a soft line in place of the hardline with a few tight clamps?

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

RealKyleH posted:

Bad center diff. The viscous coupling has failed, so now it locks when the plates heat up from normal driving. The clunk is the driveline loading and unloading while you're turning since, in sharp corners, the front wheels travel further than the rears. Exact same thing happened to me when mine failed.

Replacing the center diff is not hard. You can do it with the tranny still attached to the engine.

-Drain the transmission.

-Remove the DP and driveshaft.

-Unbolt the shifter linkage.

-Remove the shifter "U" joint from the fork.

-Remove the (6) bolts holding the cover on tail section. The cover will slide out with one of the transfer shafts attached.

-Remove the other transfer gear shaft and you can pull the diff right out.

-You'll need to scrape the mating surfaces clear of the pesky paper gasket and reseal with high temp RTV when you're done. This job is much nicer with a lift, but it can be done easily enough on high jack-stands. Took me about 2.5-3 hours the first time I did it. Most of that time was using a razor to clean all the lovely paper gasket from the tail section cover. That poo poo sucks.

You cannot rebuild phase II center diffs, they must be replaced.

dayman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 6, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If it's a bad center diff, find out and fix it ASAP.

My center diff exploding is what killed my transmission.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

bull3964 posted:

If it's a bad center diff, find out and fix it ASAP.

My center diff exploding is what killed my transmission.

This is definitely true. I've had a center diff fail on me twice. The first time, the first and only indication was the clunk and chatter as the retaining ring backed out and got chopped up in the transfer gears, killing them in the process. The second time, I was far more lucky when I experienced your symptoms and was able to replace it before it exploded. It should also be noted that a locked center diff puts a lot more stress on CVs and can accelerate their demise as well. Just so we're on the same page, here are the symptoms I experienced.

-Binding (similar to being in a 4WD truck on asphalt) while making sharp turns i.e. a parking space after the car had been driven for ~20 miles or so.

-Some driveline noise. Mostly a mechanical whirring.

The key thing you mentioned was that the car must be driven for a while before the symptoms present themselves. To me this rules out something like a CV since that problem should be present constantly. Still, as a precaution, check your boots and the CV's themselves for excessive play and binding while rotating.

dayman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 6, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dayman posted:

This is definitely true. I've had a center diff fail on me twice. The first time, the first and only indication was the clunk and chatter as the retaining ring backed out and got chopped up in the transfer gears, killing them in the process.

Mine was far more catastrophic than that. The VC itself self-destructed and I got a nice cocktail of metal shards and silicon fluid coursing through the whole transmission, completely killing the bearings.

The worst part is, the only symptom was a momentary bind backing up once and then a subtle clicking that could have been attributed to 100 other things.

It was a very expensive mistake.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

bull3964 posted:

The worst part is, the only symptom was a momentary bind backing up once and then a subtle clicking that could have been attributed to 100 other things.

Thanks so funny, because that's word for word how my first diff went. I was backing up and my car stopped...it felt like i was driving over a rock. I checked outside the vehicle and didn't see one, so i kept right on backing up. Next thing, the tranny starts clicking. Luckily, it stayed together without the c-clip long enough for me to replace it. It did have to replace the transfer gears though.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

"[ELP posted:

"]
Jamal or anyone else that would care to comment, I have a particularly hosed situation.

When deciding to do a 2.5 swap into my bugeye I decided on a Forced Performance HTA68 turbo, now maybe someone forgot to mention it but are these only designed for 2.0 liter engines or something? The lower coolant hardline doesn't have enough clearance from the engine block, my mechanic (Paul @ DBtuned in Sacramento) is thoroughly annoyed with it. The first time it broke was 200 miles after the install, the line was clearly smashed into the block until there was major cracking leading to a coolant leak. I ordered a replacement part from FP which they sent for free, paul and I determined that we wanted some insurance on the clearances and flattened out the offending bend that was compromising the clearance.

The turbo shouldn't be smashing into the bellhousing/block, its supposed to be attached to a bracket that is mounted securely to the engine, do you have some sort of crappy up-pipe or someone remove a bracket they shouldn't have? I remember jamal and I 'massaging" lots of things for fitting big turbos, so maybe try to find some sort of other cooling arrangement or try loosening the up-pipe to block bracketry and see if you can get some space.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

"[ELP posted:

"]

That doesn't have anything to do with the 2.5 block you have since they are the same size. That coolant line breaking is a very common problem with FP turbos. I think the stock coolant lines will fit on those things so I would try that.

To get really big stock location turbos to fit I generally grind down the bellhousing, the compressor cover, and the tgv/manifold to make room, and sometimes remove one or both brackets to move the turbo over.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I won't be sure of everything until next week, but there's a minor crack somewhere on the up pipe (can't tell how bad because it's wrapped). I don't have the stock lines anymore but I'm sure I can wrestle some up to try out. I'll keep you updated and throw some pics in later.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
There's a strange whine coming from my shock absorbers whenever I go over a speed bump, it happens often (not always) and it's annoying as hell... the shocks seem to be OK, no leaks or anything, is this an issue?

The shocks are the stock Blistein that came originally with the Car (2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK), can those be rebuilt/fixed? or do I have to buy a new set or replace with full coilovers?

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry
I'm replacing my gas tank when it arrives Tuesday on my 99 Outback. I'm going to need dynamite to get that thing out. So much rust :(

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
What's the consensus on Whiteline products? I'm cosidering their front and rear swaybars and endlinks for my 08 WRX.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So why do the aussies like subaru so much?
I've seen more legacy (liberty) GTs alone in the last week than I've seen off of subaru lots in the last year.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

raffie posted:

What's the consensus on Whiteline products? I'm cosidering their front and rear swaybars and endlinks for my 08 WRX.

Whiteline is great. I have their swaybars, ALK, and steering rack bushings. Roll center kit is next on my list. I'd say they're the only company that consistently makes good fitting subaru swaybars, Plus the rear bar for your car comes with braces for the mounts. If you'd like other parts while you're at it, the offset control arm bushing (ALK) is a really good one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

So why do the aussies like subaru so much?
I've seen more legacy (liberty) GTs alone in the last week than I've seen off of subaru lots in the last year.

Because they dont suck and are decent to drive?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Because they dont suck and are decent to drive?
Yes, but they don't suck and are decent to drive in the rest of the world too.
And I'm not sure a nation that hasn't discovered the glory of left (right) on red can really claim to be superior.
Its paul hogan, isn't it?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

nm posted:

Yes, but they don't suck and are decent to drive in the rest of the world too.
And I'm not sure a nation that hasn't discovered the glory of left (right) on red can really claim to be superior.
Its paul hogan, isn't it?

Have you been to Colorado? Every third car is an Outback.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Cuntpunch posted:

There's a ton running around New England too.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Can anyone reccomend some rear diff bushings that aren't hockey pucks? My impreza has the clunk, and I'd like to silence it, but it's a daily driver so I don't want to listen to my diff whirring along every day on my commute.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

Yes, but they have snow which makes people think they need AWD (and sometimes they do). And yes, we're talking a Colorado scale of subarus here.
Currently I'm in coober pedy, sa, which if they ever saw snow, I think they'd panic. There is something amusing about an outback in the outback.
This isn't a bad thing (I love subarus) but given SoA's ad history, it amuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
In Subaru's defense, the first place their cars really took off outside of Japan was Australia.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 10, 2009