Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ok, I got a pair of songs I would like some real feedback on. I made these using the Korg DS-10. I've actually got a dozen songs I would like to put together for a mini-album for some of my friends, but I would like some feedback before I really get the ball rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

prom candy posted:

I didn't make that track. I made another track on the last page that no one commented on... yet.

My bad, I saw the usual green rectangle and just rolled ahead. I agree with Weird BIAS' comments. Only other thing I'd suggest is sprucing up the percussion a bit. It's sort of plain right now, and some clever arrangement and maybe a couple extra hits might fill it out. I like it though, it's happy. :)

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

IanTheM posted:

Quincy Smallvoice that was the meeting for you.

loving. Horrible!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xpander posted:

My bad, I saw the usual green rectangle and just rolled ahead. I agree with Weird BIAS' comments. Only other thing I'd suggest is sprucing up the percussion a bit. It's sort of plain right now, and some clever arrangement and maybe a couple extra hits might fill it out. I like it though, it's happy. :)

Thanks. I went in trying to rip off some New Order drum styles but then the progression turned out to be way too happy to be a New Order song (Age of Consent and The Village notwithstanding) and I never really went back to the drums.

I'm working on a song now that focuses more heavily on interesting percussion. I was hoping to be able to post it up soon but Ableton keeps crashing on me like every 5 minutes. Anyone know what's up with that? CPU usage is low, it just seems like it'll randomly crash when I click on something, or hit save, or hit play, etc. Version 7 on OS X Leopard. Perhaps a sign that I need to take the financial plunge and buy 8?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Does anyone know of a plugin effect that creates like, the sound of really bad digital compression? Not like downsampling or a bitcrusher or whatever, I'm talking about all those artifacts and poo poo that you hear in a really low bitrate mp3, or a low quality cell phone video. Maybe nothing like this exists, but I'm just wondering, I think it would be a pretty cool effect.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Scattered Brain posted:

Does anyone know of a plugin effect that creates like, the sound of really bad digital compression? Not like downsampling or a bitcrusher or whatever, I'm talking about all those artifacts and poo poo that you hear in a really low bitrate mp3, or a low quality cell phone video. Maybe nothing like this exists, but I'm just wondering, I think it would be a pretty cool effect.
mda Degrade would work I think.

edit: never mind i was confusing mda degrade with another plugin. I'm trying to find it now...

You could always just export your audio and compress it yourself!

Dicky B fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 29, 2009

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

loving. Horrible!

You're too old mate. :(

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

tgijsola posted:

I'm looking for a way to play around with electronic music during downtime at work (of which there is plenty). Are there any standalone freeware / flash synthesizers where I can loop an arpeggio and twist some oscillator/envelope/lfo knobs?

Hobnox Audiotool :)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Alright music nerds, I need some help with this track. I'm not sure if it's because Live is crashing on me every five minutes or because I just don't have any inspiration, but I'm not sure where to take it from here. It's in E major but starting at A which I think puts it in A lydian? Anyway, I cut it off right at the point where I think it grows stale, but I'm at a loss for ideas on how to switch it up without it sounding like a completely different song. Any sonic or musical ideas out there?

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

loving. Horrible!

jeez red forman smoke some weed or something everything doesn't always have to be perfectly quantized.

Mannex fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 30, 2009

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

prom candy posted:

Alright music nerds, I need some help with this track. I'm not sure if it's because Live is crashing on me every five minutes or because I just don't have any inspiration, but I'm not sure where to take it from here. It's in E major but starting at A which I think puts it in A lydian? Anyway, I cut it off right at the point where I think it grows stale, but I'm at a loss for ideas on how to switch it up without it sounding like a completely different song. Any sonic or musical ideas out there?

Change the whole thing into a relative major key for the "chorus" and then switch back to the whole "dark and scary" thing.

If you're having trouble with a chord progression just cut out all notes except the "bassline" notes and try stuff until it sounds right.

IanTheM posted:

I love weekends because it's so hot and there is literally nothing to do but stay inside:
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/Wola.mp3

This sound is pretty awesome. Is it a pulse wave section in a sampler? When the pitch change alters the timing of the segment like that you can end up with some pretty mathematical rhythms. What if you kept changing the pitch of that "strings swell" to go along more with the chords?

Mannex fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 30, 2009

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Mannex posted:

jeez red forman smoke some weed or something everything doesn't always have to be perfectly quantized.

eh I do lots of drugs and I'm not too fond of it. Some of it can be alright, but I just don't feel it, and get a little annoyed with it. Different strokes I spose

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

I went from Prodigy and Orgy to weed to Boards to Prefuse 73 so maybe I eased myself into it or something.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Mannex posted:

I went from Prodigy and Orgy to weed to Boards to Prefuse 73 so maybe I eased myself into it or something.

Yeah it took me a bit before it all clicked in my head, but it's really about a state of mind so to speak. I mean when i listen to it a lot of the time it forces my brain to engage in the beat and find the rhythm. I guess it's not for everyone.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

How do you guys tend to make drum loops/beats? I have a loop stuck in my head, but I can't really figure out how to get it down exactly how I want it. Am I best off kinda tapping it out on the keyboard in Ableton and then editing it later to get the timing right?

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

new jammin

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

How do you guys tend to make drum loops/beats? I have a loop stuck in my head, but I can't really figure out how to get it down exactly how I want it. Am I best off kinda tapping it out on the keyboard in Ableton and then editing it later to get the timing right?

If I'm having trouble figuring out the beat in my head I often just figure out the tempo, lay down just the kick and snare/clap first, then add hats/whatever on top of that.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Vanmani posted:

If I'm having trouble figuring out the beat in my head I often just figure out the tempo, lay down just the kick and snare/clap first, then add hats/whatever on top of that.

I do the same thing, and it's served me pretty well. The kick and any subbass percussion elements are really the foundation of a track for me, for electronic music at least. I've tried starting with hats/bongoes/other, but it's hard for me to get a good sense of how it fits in. You can always edit your loops again later. Since you're using Ableton, Ctrl-drag your loops down to another clip to copy it, then make your adjustments off that. Also works great for cut-ups and making breadowns, craeting your buildup loops from the main chug, etc.

trill rear end posted:

new jammin

This track went pretty much exactly where I thought it would, and it was so satisfying. You really make awesome grooves, dude. This was the first track in a while on Tindeck that I've listened to twice.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

IanTheM posted:

I love weekends because it's so hot and there is literally nothing to do but stay inside:
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/Wola.mp3

this is excellent

iluv
Dec 4, 2006

cutthroats 9
I really like that Wola beat IanTheM. It reminds me of some EPROM songs. Here's a beat I made today. I need some feedback on it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

trill rear end posted:

new jammin

You make awesome songs. It's cool you're into dub stuff now but I hope you make another bumpin track like PBT soon. I read this whole thread over the past week or so (slow week at work) and that was probably my favourite song of the whole thing.

iluv posted:

I really like that Wola beat IanTheM. It reminds me of some EPROM songs. Here's a beat I made today. I need some feedback on it.

It's cool but at about the 2/3 mark I can't help but start singing "I guess you say, what could make me feel this way..."

prom candy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 31, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
you guys are too nice :)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Completely new subject but does anyone know what the deal is with Live 8 Suite being available on eBay for like $500? Is that legit?

Also, does anyone know if I can use one copy on multiple machines? If I'm going to plunk down serious monies I'm going to want a copy on my desktop and a copy on my laptop, does that gel with the Ableton corporation?

Jzf_K
Sep 1, 2002
JS
Keeping with the anti-beat theme, I'm not sure where this one should go...any ideas?

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/406089/dubish.mp3

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Mannex posted:

OPINIONS :aaaaa: how can that be

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

prom candy posted:

Completely new subject but does anyone know what the deal is with Live 8 Suite being available on eBay for like $500? Is that legit?

Also, does anyone know if I can use one copy on multiple machines? If I'm going to plunk down serious monies I'm going to want a copy on my desktop and a copy on my laptop, does that gel with the Ableton corporation?

I have Live 7 running on both my workstation and my MacBook Pro. Their license specifically states you can use it on a second performace/production machine(as long as it's not being run concurrently, I think).

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

xpander posted:

I have Live 7 running on both my workstation and my MacBook Pro. Their license specifically states you can use it on a second performace/production machine(as long as it's not being run concurrently, I think).
Truth. I use the same license on my performance machine as I do in my studio.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xpander posted:

Ah excellent. Is that the kind of thing where if I accidentally left Live running on my desktop in the living room and I wanted to fire it up on my laptop before going to bed I would have to go turn it off, or is it more like an honour system thing? God forbid I should have to get out of bed...

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

prom candy posted:

Ah excellent. Is that the kind of thing where if I accidentally left Live running on my desktop in the living room and I wanted to fire it up on my laptop before going to bed I would have to go turn it off, or is it more like an honour system thing? God forbid I should have to get out of bed...

I'm pretty sure it's totally on the honour system. I've got both machines running it no problem. They probably just give you 2 activations per license.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Quick question for Cubase (5) users: I have a guitar loop running through a retrigger VST. The effect has some random elements to its operation so I'm getting different results from it every time I play the track. I'd like to let the guitar loop run through the retrigger while recording the output of that for several measures so that I can cut the results up and re-arrange them as I like. What's the easiest way of achieving this? I don't have an outboard mixer of any sort. I've been trying to work out how to change the output of a track to another track rather than Stereo Out but I can't see how to do it.

Atlas Nugged
Jul 30, 2009

"I am, therefore I'll toke."

trill rear end posted:

new jammin

This owns in every conceivable way. Your synth programming is pretty much loving perfect, drums sound amazing, arrangement is excellent. It really reminds me of Sasha/Charlie May stuff.

I was bored and made this yesterday (its kinda boring to listen to so sorry bout that):

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

chippy posted:

Quick question for Cubase (5) users: I have a guitar loop running through a retrigger VST. The effect has some random elements to its operation so I'm getting different results from it every time I play the track. I'd like to let the guitar loop run through the retrigger while recording the output of that for several measures so that I can cut the results up and re-arrange them as I like. What's the easiest way of achieving this? I don't have an outboard mixer of any sort. I've been trying to work out how to change the output of a track to another track rather than Stereo Out but I can't see how to do it.

Duplicate the audio as many times as you need it, export and reimport with the effect on.
OR
If you're using a VST to achieve that effect (like Glitch) then you could also do Audio->Plugins->Glitch and it would randomly arrange your guitar.
Hope that helps!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'll take the lack of feedback means it wasn't terrible, here's another one I would like some feedback on:

Since getting the Korg DS-10 last year, I haven't played a single other DS game for more than ten minutes.

Lizzy
Jun 4, 2006

IRON MAN
31/10 never forget

I figured I would throw my hat into the mix. Any feedback would be appreciated, started off channeling daft punk ended up being minstry.

Lizzy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 1, 2009

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Trill, do you have any plans for a dubstep album? You make pretty rockin music.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

The Fog posted:

If you're using a VST to achieve that effect (like Glitch) then you could also do Audio->Plugins->Glitch and it would randomly arrange your guitar.
Hope that helps!

I am indeed using a VST for the effect, similar to glitch. I don't however see a Plugins item in my Audio menu?

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

trans fat posted:

Trill, do you have any plans for a dubstep album? You make pretty rockin music.

yeah im workin on it. its gonna be called mummy. i dont have a label to put it out on or anything. im considering just letting it go for free.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

chippy posted:

I am indeed using a VST for the effect, similar to glitch. I don't however see a Plugins item in my Audio menu?

Maybe this helps:

Does it look like that?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
I'm hoping this sounds cheap enough, yeah it's tongue in cheek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizzy
Jun 4, 2006

IRON MAN
31/10 never forget

Starting to put together bits and pieces.

I was wondering how there isn't really a definitive guide to this type of music production but perhaps there is a best practice list. Things like cut below 20hz as it can't be heard, don't clip the main track etc... any thoughts?

• Locked thread